Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

A grant? Pah! Fie upon this "grant"! I don't want a grant - I want a grant for me (very big one - um, make that something like "commensurate with my undoubted abilities and utterly necessary in order to secure my much sought-after services" AND grants for my assistants and underlings (who are necessary just to make me important).

And my uncle, a Mr. Thomas Cobleigh, wants one too.

A grant? Pah! Fie upon this "grant"! I don't want a grant - I want a grant for me (very big one - um, make that something like "commensurate with my undoubted abilities and utterly necessary in order to secure my much sought-after services" AND grants for my assistants and underlings (who are necessary just to make me important).

And my uncle, a Mr. Thomas Cobleigh, wants one too.

You'll be in the Edinburgh jazz music sector then I take it?

<oooohya...>

Some years ago dyoorin ra privatizashun boom, we were supplyin IT consultancy and IT servbces intae a large utility. I twas tae be privatised - at a huge cost tae ra taxpayer - the fact that its fyyotchur pointed tae no makin a prfit in a months of Sundays didnae matter (they had huge costs comin along roon ra corner)

They spent money on this like wattur, veritabley chuckin cash at anything & everything - this resulted in people spendin a forchoon on shares, the inevitable share price rise and then fall as reality set in.

Anyways they built a big new HQ in Embra, chucked money at it and suddenly they hud huge boardroom table(tyhat couldnae be used in realirty as the gorjus wood wiz to saft tae right on(even when usin papaer)it wiz replaces at a cost of @£30000 eventually.

As two companies wurr bein merged they decided tae merge IT technologies tae again at huge cost and all to pander tae IT execs not tae provide best of breed - hundreds of thoosands spent on this - nae wan batted an eyelid whenit went tits up regularly

Nooadays its been bought n sold a cuppla times, but seemingly ra saviour of us all whne it comes tae generatin power, been bouight again (funnily enuff by Broon's brithurs company I think) and is still gettiun a forchoon in govt money

The charity sector is about to be hit very badly by the Spending Review. This is going to lead to even more intensive competition for funds disbursed by Trusts and Foundations.

Maybe it's time we started thinking differently, and more creatively, about how to fund charities. In the case of this one, and perhaps Women's Aid, instead of jailing people found guilty of assault-- at HUGE cost to the taxpayer--we could move towards punitive fines, with a percentage donated to the charity that supports the victims.

Such fines could be levied through the tax system---or the welfare system where appropriate.

Glasgow is now seizing the assets of drug dealers and donating the proceeds to various charities and youth groups to try to nail the problem at source. That's intelligent thinking, IMHO.

Could be very tricky for a number of reasons. The battered women (or men) might be somewhat nervous if their violent partner, albeit skint, was still out and about waiting to pounce on them. Then in some instances, although violence in the home takes no account of financial position, fines imposed could reduce an avenue of income for some families and children.

I think the main focus has to be on the victims rather than the tax payer.

Recommended reading, at least know that when your job is taken from you and perhaps your life thrown on the scrap heap its for right wing ideology reasons and nothing else

http://ictupeoplejobsandservices.org/Portals/f3d0a6e7-adf2-4de2-8856-85b6bca999b1/cuts%20booklet%20final.pdf

Funny whit short memries folk hiv when ther ravin oan aboot whit the cuts will dae and ra consequencies theron! Pity they didny huv this ability tae foresee ra future when the last lot of criminils an chancers wis screwin up ra economy fur the last 13 years!Tae read some o the poasts oan here ye wid think that it wis an aw sweetniss an lite never never land whit wis aw brought tumblin doon by the big bad co-il-ishun!Ah rekin some o youse want tae get a reality check!

Funny whit short memries folk hiv when ther ravin oan aboot whit the cuts will dae and ra consequencies theron! Pity they didny huv this ability tae foresee ra future when the last lot of criminils an chancers wis screwin up ra economy fur the last 13 years!Tae read some o the poasts oan here ye wid think that it wis an aw sweetniss an lite never never land whit wis aw brought tumblin doon by the big bad co-il-ishun!Ah rekin some o youse want tae get a reality check!

No, it was the big bad banks and very poor regulation.

I see there's an increase in the numbers of students learning how to speak and write gibberish (plus a TXTR as Westside would put it.) Parliamo nonsense I'd call it. It's not Pidgin English. There's not even a smidgen of logic applied. It's not phonetic and it's not even funny.

Who do you think you are?

When the door opened he said, Hullo, I live two doors along, I was wondering whether I could get the len of a saw for a minute, if ye've got one.

It was a guy answered: A saw?

I lent my own to my brother last week. I only need it for a minute.

Eh aye, okay...

Sammy could hear him rummaging about in the lobby press. Then he was coming back to the door and saying: Ye'll give us it back the day?

Aw aye. Half an hour at the most.

James-Kelman.jpg

And, if its good enough for the Prime minister's child its good enough for the homeless

they really do take us for fools the whole damn lot of them

they really do take us for fools the whole damn lot of them

Makes you worry about the ability of the spin doctors. :(

I thought Sarah was an expert in PR.

No, it was the big bad banks and very poor regulation.

Oh aye thats rite an who wis "regulatin" thum? And sookin up tae thum annaw,,,the "master planner,saviour o ra world", Broon...thats who!

I see there's an increase in the numbers of students learning how to speak and write gibberish (plus a TXTR as Westside would put it.) Parliamo nonsense I'd call it. It's not Pidgin English. There's not even a smidgen of logic applied. It's not phonetic and it's not even funny.

Who do you think you are?

Ah know Ahm no a stuck up erse likes yersel.... :rolleyes:

Who do you think you are?[/unquote]

Ah know Ahm no a stuck up erse likes yersel.... :P

I do not understand this antipathy to the Irish language, Mr. Heidcase. There is nothing stuck up about speaking Erse. It is still the everyday tongue of many of our friends on the other side of St. George's Channel, many of whom are in humbled and straitened circumstances. :rolleyes:

Is dócha nach bhfuil seans ar bith ann?

This reminds me of something HH would say/ Just for a laugh, not being serious like as I am sure you are not his type, heidie but I may be wrong. :rolleyes::P:lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11415870

we're all in this together you know...........well unless you are a very rich tory peer then it makes sound economic sense to make sure you pay less than your fair share......scrounging I believe its called

Guest larrytrooper

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11415870

we're all in this together you know...........well unless you are a very rich tory peer then it makes sound economic sense to make sure you pay less than your fair share......scrounging I believe its called

Don't be so blinkered Sam,

ALL the parties have wealthy, no very, very wealthy M.P's in them, not just tories. They all have very wealthy backers too and the M.P.'s repay them with making the laws to suit them.

We can only try to keep scratching the surface as it's so entrenched it would be almost impossible to change it. The parties are so much like each other it makes very little difference to the really wealthy, the only ones who will suffer are the poorly off and the middle income who pay the most to keep the poor while the real wealthy ones just carry on as before.

Don't be so blinkered Sam,

ALL the parties have wealthy, no very, very wealthy M.P's in them, not just tories. They all have very wealthy backers too and the M.P.'s repay them with making the laws to suit them.

We can only try to keep scratching the surface as it's so entrenched it would be almost impossible to change it. The parties are so much like each other it makes very little difference to the really wealthy, the only ones who will suffer are the poorly off and the middle income who pay the most to keep the poor while the real wealthy ones just carry on as before.

Is it blinkered to expect the men and women who helped pass the very laws that impacts on all of us to lead by example? Particularly when their mantra is 'we are in this all together' as a sop to justify economic ideological lunacy.