Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

http://www.heraldscotland.com/business/markets-economy/stark-message-that-coalition-won-t-want-to-hear-right-now-1.1054586

IMF now telling Dave he is barking up the wrong tree; so Gordon Brown's strategy to have a more structured downsizing of spend when the country can sustain it was correct?

This is what I don't get the part where they say;

"Get people back to (imaginery) jobs"

This is what I don't get the part where they say;

"Get people back to (imaginery) jobs"

That's certainly a big question, IonaW. They need to create the jobs first of all but instead they are vanishing.

We could certainly be doing with more jobs in some quarters. One example would be more teachers. The election pledge made by SNP to cut class sizes to 18 in primaries one to three, way back in 2007, has not yet come to fruition.

That's certainly a big question, IonaW. They need to create the jobs first of all but instead they are vanishing.

We could certainly be doing with more jobs in some quarters. One example would be more teachers. The election pledge made by SNP to cut class sizes to 18 in primaries one to three, way back in 2007, has not yet come to fruition.

Good to see some new jobs: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-11297131

and some nice new holiday destinations from Glasgow as well. :(

Long term unemployment is a self reinforcing vicious circle, especially during periods of economic downturn like we're going to experience for some years to come. I've been in the situation and it's easy to lose motivation. The longer you're unemployed, the worse your CV looks, and the harder it is to get a start. Some people have the extremely irritating habit of saying 'there's plenty of jobs out there', which overlooks the fact that there are also dozens of applicants for the jobs, many of whom are just recently unemployed, or even currently employed, perhaps part time. So, why should an employer hire a long term unemployed person for the post? The fact that they're long term unemployed could indicate that they're lazy, have a health problem, been in jail etc. Employers are not social workers.

My 'counsellor' at the Job Centre suggested I did some voluntary work. While doing it, I'd get my dole money and travel expenses and I'd be free of the hassle of being hauled in every 3 months for an interview and being sent on useless courses. She said she could get me a start in a charity shop just 100 yards from EK bus station and I reluctantly agreed as I really didn't want to be sent on any more 'courses'. I worked as a volunteer for a year and had something positive and up to date to add to my CV. Employers are mightily impressed by someone so keen to work, that they'll do it for nothing. The reality is different, but that's how it looks.

I got a seasonal job as a council grass cutter soon after and full time employment the following year. Anything you can get to put on your CV is worth doing, even if it's just being a temporary Christmas postman. Shops like Argos take on temporary Christmas staff, too. It's also easier to get a start as a seasonal worker. Council grounds maintenance work is an obvious example, because there's more work to do during the summer, cutting grass etc, but lots of employers take on temporary staff during the summer months to cover for staff going on holiday. I worked in a psychogeriatric ward in Gartnavel Royal hospital as a temporary nursing assistant for a summer during the 70s. Temporary jobs are easier to get if you're long term unemployed and looks a lot better than 'actively seeking work' on your CV.

Guest westtender

Some people have the extremely irritating habit of saying 'there's plenty of jobs out there', which overlooks the fact that there are also dozens of applicants for the jobs, many of whom are just recently unemployed, or even currently employed, perhaps part time.

It also overlooks the fact that far too many of the so-called 'plenty' are jobs a monkey could do, and folk educated to degree level do not want to do them, for obvious reasons. They are drudgery, not labour.

Nice post, yonza.

I agree there's plenty you can do to further your chances of getting a fairly well paid full time job and maybe with even the "luxury" of enjoying it. Unfortunately those are the ones we're not going to see for a while.

In ma line therz plenty of work BUT yoo huvtae be willing tae go where ra work is, its no gonnae come tae yoo. |Hence am based in a premier inn in Middlesburgh fur part ovra week - but this hotel is full ov people in ra same boat.

Why should people expect jobs where they live, why should employers pander tae that, I understannd that some people have issues that may prevent them from travellin a distance but that is not teh employers fault.

Ah dinnae inra slightest expect tae get a job on ma doorstep, far frae it (nae pun intended)

There are plenty of jobs available across various industries, jist becoz ra job centre/govt disnae know aboot them disnae mean they urnae there. Fraet experience yoo huvtae be mental tae advertise a job throo ra job centre - yoo get all ra dross ovra day applyin and comin fur interviews jist tae get ra jobcentre staff aff thur back, maistt huv nae intenshun of takin a job.

People huvtae get thur finger oot and dae whuts required tae get a job and work thur wae upra pay/career ladder as Yonza points oot

When ah interview people, if they huv been oota work furra while ah make a serious point of questioning them ion whut they huv been uptae, anywan spendin ra day in thur scratcher or urnae up by 09:00 on a weekday disnae get quoted ur asked furra 2nd interview

Ah huv been unemployed plenty of times and fur extended periods but wan thing ah didnae dae wiz laze aboot in ma pit

Good to see some new jobs: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-11297131

and some nice new holiday destinations from Glasgow as well. :(

yep, coming on the back of Barclays announcing 600 jobs for Glasgow and HP announcing 700 jobs at Erskine. Not a bad three weeks.

yep, coming on the back of Barclays announcing 600 jobs for Glasgow and HP announcing 700 jobs at Erskine. Not a bad three weeks.

Big development planned for the waterfront in Ardrossan so some opportunities for work at the seaside.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/70m-move-to-bring-jobs-and-new-look-to-waterfront-1.1054693

Like yonza and nota say, you've got to show willing and make the most of the time when you are unemployed.

Apart from doing something worthwhile, rather than 'lying in yir pit', you've got more chance of hearing about opportunities if you are out and about with your ears cocked.

A lot of people also get very depressed if they are hanging around the house; sometimes not only skint but feeling undervalued. Folk often define themselves by their jobs and becoming unemployed can be a devastating experience.

Understandably, it can be pretty difficult to retain any optimism, however, new doors can open. One thing you have on your hands is time so might be worthwhile learning new skills or resurrecting talents and aptitudes that you often don't get a chance to utilise when you're working.

Like yonza says you've got potential employers to impress.

Guest westtender

In ma line therz plenty of work BUT yoo huvtae be willing tae go where ra work is, its no gonnae come tae yoo. |Hence am based in a premier inn in Middlesburgh fur part ovra week - but this hotel is full ov people in ra same boat.

Why should people expect jobs where they live

There's more to life than work.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere but the west of Scotland. No matter how unemployed I may ever find myself, I ain't ever moving east or south chasing work.

Guest westtender

Big development planned for the waterfront in Ardrossan so some opportunities for work at the seaside.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/70m-move-to-bring-jobs-and-new-look-to-waterfront-1.1054693

:(

Aye, everything in that garden's dandy.

That Irvine Bay Regeneration mob have been around that neck of the woods for years making a lot of noise, giving a lot of press statements and actually doing sod all.

The 3 toons are a basket case. All the so-called marina development down at the Ardrossan waterfront over the past 10 years has been a major disappointment; there's never been anything close to full occupancy of the housing that was built. I see no benefit in throwing more money at an already failed venture.

:(

Aye, everything in that garden's dandy.

That Irvine Bay Regeneration mob have been around that neck of the woods for years making a lot of noise, giving a lot of press statements and actually doing sod all.

The 3 toons are a basket case. All the so-called marina development down at the Ardrossan waterfront over the past 10 years has been a major disappointment; there's never been anything close to full occupancy of the housing that was built. I see no benefit in throwing more money at an already failed venture.

Knew there had been problems with decontamination of the site - certainly throwing a signifiant sum of money their way. £70m.

Announced that tyhe Scottish Government has announced plans to have minimum class size of 25, not quite the 18 figure but a move in the right direction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11289882

Announced that tyhe Scottish Government has announced plans to have minimum class size of 25, not quite the 18 figure but a move in the right direction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11289882

As a minority govt gettin ra 18 figurr throo wiz easier sed than done, espeshully wae erses like donky mcneuil who woulddae anythin tae oppose ra snp

Fur example accordin tae donkey, that poor wummin who killt her weans in Embra then tried dae hersel in wiz doon tae ra snp govt - how sick is that

thats whit thur up against erseholes like him, maigrit currint et al

As a minority govt gettin ra 18 figurr throo wiz easier sed than done, espeshully wae erses like donky mcneuil who woulddae anythin tae oppose ra snp

Fur example accordin tae donkey, that poor wummin who killt her weans in Embra then tried dae hersel in wiz doon tae ra snp govt - how sick is that

thats whit thur up against erseholes like him, maigrit currint et al

Think he'd have a bother proving that wan, Nota.

I thought that the difficulty the Government was encountering was due to schools not being able to say legally that classes were full.

I realize they did not keep to what was promised in 2007 but definitely moving in the right direction. That should be applauded by every minister.

Think he'd have a bother proving that wan, Nota.

I thought that the difficulty the Government was encountering was due to schools not being able to say legally that classes were full.

I realize they did not keep to what was promised in 2007 but definitely moving in the right direction. That should be applauded by every minister.

Proof tae donkey is like ra proof tae his puppet masters of WMD in Iraq, he wizra laffin stiock ovra boilermakers union, and elected due tae ra fact he knew how tae pin a red rosette on(wunner who wiz styoopit enuff tae show him how tae dae that)

Anyways here's a link showin whut he sed, the original article appeared in ra Sunday Post

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=477:labour-msp-duncan-mcneil-refuses-to-apologise-for-riggi-death-slur&catid=1:politics&Itemid=2

There's more to life than work.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere but the west of Scotland. No matter how unemployed I may ever find myself, I ain't ever moving east or south chasing work.

Then you arent hungry enough yet

I'll never be that hungry - or that desperate. :(

No really "livin" doon here jist visitin furr a few days a week - daein mishunary work whilst am here

I'll never be that hungry - or that desperate. :(

Thats true living in a nanny state

Proof tae donkey is like ra proof tae his puppet masters of WMD in Iraq, he wizra laffin stiock ovra boilermakers union, and elected due tae ra fact he knew how tae pin a red rosette on(wunner who wiz styoopit enuff tae show him how tae dae that)

Anyways here's a link showin whut he sed, the original article appeared in ra Sunday Post

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=477:labour-msp-duncan-mcneil-refuses-to-apologise-for-riggi-death-slur&catid=1:politics&Itemid=2

I thought you played that pinning game blindfolded.

I won't ask you to define your missionary work Nota :o

spreddin ra word aboot devolyooshin, independensh etc etc

Things like how much dae yooz pay fur yer prescripshuns? followed on by thats expensive haw haw haw

Home schooling may have meant that the children were more isolated and possibly a teacher may have picked up on problems, but no guarantee of that.

Seems a pretty ridiculous stance. Would he have blamed the school if they had been attending?