Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
rolo tomassi

The Big Day, June 3 1990

What a day that was. Unforgettable B)

Some good commentary here by Tommy of the Wets, Dougie of the Deacons and Pat of the Hues and a well-written background story by Paul English.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/editors-choice/2010/05/31/the-big-day-20-years-on-stars-and-fans-remember-historic-scots-gig-86908-22298634/

Career highlight for many, what a show that turned out to be!

Were any of you there? Do you have any memories to share? :angry:

What a day that was. Unforgettable B)

Some good commentary here by Tommy of the Wets, Dougie of the Deacons and Pat of the Hues and a well-written background story by Paul English.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/editors-choice/2010/05/31/the-big-day-20-years-on-stars-and-fans-remember-historic-scots-gig-86908-22298634/

Career highlight for many, what a show that turned out to be!

Were any of you there? Do you have any memories to share? :angry:

We wur there, ma pals rellies wur over frae New Zealand atra time tae, whit a day oot that turned oot tae be - pyoor excelenty.

Big Country - Amazin - whole of Glesga Green bouncin

We wur there, ma pals rellies wur over frae New Zealand atra time tae, whit a day oot that turned oot tae be - pyoor excelenty.

Big Country - Amazin - whole of Glesga Green bouncin

It sounds exciting just reading the article but that youtube link of Sheena Easton is well scareeeeeee. ohmy.gif

It's actually quite odd being able to remember exactly where you were to the minute 20 years ago tonight :angry:

Easily the most nerve-racking gig I've ever worked, literally shaking I was--- and so was everyone else around the Glasgow Green stage when the news filtered back there were 250,000 people out front :angry: . That was scareeee!

It was going out completely live on C4, just to add to the pressure.... B)

Plus the odd wee issue backstage with Sheena's 'people'; as Dougie Vipond explains on the audio clip I posted earlier.

I've been watching the clips again tonight and apart from feeling amazed and proud that we collectively made that event happen, I have to say my overriding thoughts tonight are with three fantastic musicians who took part in the day who're so sadly no longer with us; Stuart Adamson of Big Country, Bobby Paterson of Love and Money and Graeme Kelling of Deacon Blue.

Also Stam, the Rocksteady pitboss who took such care of the audiences--- and of us all over the years.

The Big Day was Glasgow at its very best. Such a privilege to be part of it.

It's actually quite odd being able to remember exactly where you were to the minute 20 years ago tonight biggrin.gif

Easily the most nerve-racking gig I've ever worked, literally shaking I was--- and so was everyone else around the Glasgow Green stage when the news filtered back there were 250,000 people out front biggrin.gif . That was scareeee!

It was going out completely live on C4, just to add to the pressure.... cool.gif

Plus the odd wee issue backstage with Sheena's 'people'; as Dougie Vipond explains on the audio clip I posted earlier.

I've been watching the clips again tonight and apart from feeling amazed and proud that we collectively made that event happen, I have to say my overriding thoughts tonight are with three fantastic musicians who took part in the day who're so sadly no longer with us; Stuart Adamson of Big Country, Bobby Paterson of Love and Money and Graeme Kelling of Deacon Blue.

Also Stam, the Rocksteady pitboss who took such care of the audiences--- and of us all over the years.

The Big Day was Glasgow at its very best. Such a privilege to be part of it.

Sure Rolo, but the hair... so 80's tongue.gif

Seriously, you have every right to feel proud. These moments are few and far between. Reminisce and enjoy:)

The present Mrs.HH & I took our two boys along to the big day, we parked the car in Govan and took the subway to Buchannan St. 2 minutes into George Square we got separated, she had all the money & the youngest, I had the bag & the eldest. I stood outside the wee R.S. Mcolls opposite Queen St. station & sold the cans of Irn Bru I had in the bag for the price of a subway ticked back to Govan. Big Day? Aye right. :angry:

The present Mrs.HH & I took our two boys along to the big day, we parked the car in Govan and took the subway to Buchannan St. 2 minutes into George Square we got separated, she had all the money & the youngest, I had the bag & the eldest. I stood outside the wee R.S. Mcolls opposite Queen St. station & sold the cans of Irn Bru I had in the bag for the price of a subway ticked back to Govan. Big Day? Aye right. :angry:

Ah thought, wae yoo bein frae Paisley, you would jist huv mugged sumwan

Ah thought, wae yoo bein frae Paisley, you would jist huv mugged sumwan

Now, now, Nota. I thought that he was very enterprising.

Well done, to you and your gang, Rolo. It was a fantastic event. I remember Sheena Easton, Big Country and Deacon Blue. I know I should remember more but Jim can't even remember being there. We went with our friends Issi and Davie so now I'm dying to speak to them as they will be able to fill me in.

I'm starting to worry about myself - I had actually forgotten that Dougie Vipond was a drummer. He's now fixed in my mind as a sports presenter. :angry:

I enjoyed the article.

...I had the bag & the eldest. I stood outside the wee R.S. Mcolls opposite Queen St. station & sold the cans of Irn Bru I had in the bag for the price of a subway ticked back to Govan. Big Day? Aye right. :angry:

Well, be fair, it was a memorable day in its own way. laugh.gif Embarrassing, I suppose. I imagine something like:

HH - "Excuse me, can you spare some change for a couple of cans of Irn Bru?"

Passerby - "Nonsense, I'm not falling for that. Heid does not zip up the back. Did not come up Clyde on bike. I know you will spend it on Buckfast, you beggar!"

HH - "naw, I mean, you swap the money FOR the Irn Bru. No, really. Honest."

Why didn't you sell the eldest wean and keep the Irn Bru?

Why didn't you sell the eldest wean and keep the Irn Bru?

A sentiment I've often expressed masel, honest tae god, he's 29 noo and still living under my roof. :angry:

A sentiment I've often expressed masel, honest tae god, he's 29 noo and still living under my roof. :angry:

Yood only worry if he wisnae....................