• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Pat

Pat

Sitting on my favourite seat

• Root Admin
  • 19,144 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:18 PM

Folks, I wonder if you could help me out as every now and again we receive complaints about breach of copyright, not with regard to anything that we have ourselves posted, but to do with images posted on the forum.

Could you please refrain from posting images that you do not own and do not have prior permission to use. This is, after all, in compliance with the rules of the forum. Also if you have added any such images could you let me know where they are so that I can remove them.

Today we got a complaint about an alleged infringement of copyright regarding two images posted in 2008 along with the indication that we are going to be pursued for damages!

Please be careful folks - only post your own images or those you have received permission to post.
This is me since yistirday.

#2 Lone Groover

Lone Groover

Staying for dinner

• Members
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:00 PM

Name that grumpy so and so and I will set the spam department on him.

can I have five quid for each of my pics please ?????
Fat bottomed girls, you make
the rockin' world go round.
But you have absolutely
bastarded my couch.

#3 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,144 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:34 PM

Name that grumpy so and so and I will set the spam department on him.

can I have five quid for each of my pics please ?????

Don't think that would achieve much, L.G.

I located the images with some further assistance from the complainant with regard to their whereabouts.
I hope that this will be the end of the matter and that when posting images forum members will please comply with the rules.

There is often no way that Mods can know whether you own an image or have permission to use it or not so we are depending upon you to comply with copyright law with regard to posting photographs and images.

The owner of the two images which were posted is threatening with court action for damages.

#4 HollowHorn

HollowHorn

Joined the family

• Members
  • 9,588 posts
  • Interests:Tea Dances

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:43 PM

flip SCRAN and their ilk.
Changed back to 'Peace & Love' after reading Snowy's post.

[url="<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/hollowhorn/sets/" target="_blank">http://www.flickr.co...whorn/sets/</a>"]My Phoaties oan Flickr[/url]

#5 Guest_westtender_*

Guest_westtender_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

Don't think that would achieve much, L.G.

I located the images with some further assistance from the complainant with regard to their whereabouts.
I hope that this will be the end of the matter and that when posting images forum members will please comply with the rules.

There is often no way that Mods can know whether you own an image or have permission to use it or not so we are depending upon you to comply with copyright law with regard to posting photographs and images.

The owner of the two images which were posted is threatening with court action for damages.

:lol:
Is the complainant an organisation or an individual?

#6 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,144 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:25 PM

:lol:
Is the complainant an organisation or an individual?

Probably not a great idea to discuss this at the moment, Westtie. Just really flagging it up to encourage people to stick by forum rules in respect of use of images.

That is: post your own photies or if using someone else's make sure you are not breaching copyright. Not everyone indicates ownership by use of a watermark or otherwise marking their photographs thus Mods can easily assume that it is your own photograph or that you have permission to use it. It is also impossible to check every post so we are dependent upon forum members being very careful with regard to this issue.

#7 HollowHorn

HollowHorn

Joined the family

• Members
  • 9,588 posts
  • Interests:Tea Dances

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:55 AM

My goodness, I am remiss, did I forget to say.........flip SCRAN and the ship they came in on?
Changed back to 'Peace & Love' after reading Snowy's post.

[url="<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/hollowhorn/sets/" target="_blank">http://www.flickr.co...whorn/sets/</a>"]My Phoaties oan Flickr[/url]

#8 Guest_westtender_*

Guest_westtender_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:51 PM

Mmmm. IMO, if the complainant is some celeb sort, then flip them as well. You wanna be famous, you need to live with all that that entails, which includes your image being used all over the place.

#9 lynnski

lynnski

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,145 posts
  • Interests:www.squintyjewellery.co.uk

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:17 AM

OK, to clarify. If an image has a wee © on it anywhere, it's copyright and you cannot use it. If the image has dirty big words across the middle like 'Getty Images' or 'Virtual Mitchell' it's copyright and you cannot use it. If you are not sure, link to the image rather than posting it.

It's not just at Pat's request, it's the law.

Government

Slightly less wordy version

End of story. Any poster using copyright images is not only breaching forum rules but is breaking the law.

"Patience is like bread I say, I ran out of that yesterday" © Lemonheads

#10 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,144 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:19 AM

OK, to clarify. If an image has a wee on it anywhere, it's copyright and you cannot use it. If the image has dirty big words across the middle like 'Getty Images' or 'Virtual Mitchell' it's copyright and you cannot use it. If you are not sure, link to the image rather than posting it.

It's not just at Pat's request, it's the law.

Not entirely accurate, Lynnski, the watermark and copyright sign may indicate ownership but if they are not there this does not mean that you can use an image. The important point is whether you own the image or have permission to post it; a watermark may or may not be there, but it not being there doesn't mean that you have permission to post an image.

Government

Slightly less wordy version

End of story. Any poster using copyright images is not only breaching forum rules but is breaking the law.

#11 lynnski

lynnski

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,145 posts
  • Interests:www.squintyjewellery.co.uk

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:11 PM

Not entirely accurate, Lynnski, the watermark and copyright sign may indicate ownership but if they are not there this does not mean that you can use an image. The important point is whether you own the image or have permission to post it; a watermark may or may not be there, but it not being there doesn't mean that you have permission to post an image.

As I said, if in ANY doubt, don't use it!! :angry:

"Patience is like bread I say, I ran out of that yesterday" © Lemonheads

#12 samscafeamericain

samscafeamericain

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,781 posts
  • Interests:wide and varied, like a drunk fat person

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:21 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-11695416

laws to be reviewed with a possibility that internet usage will be relaxed
The reasonable expectations of honest men must be protected.

'Fiat justitia ruat caelum'

#13 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,144 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:38 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11695416

laws to be reviewed with a possibility that internet usage will be relaxed

Interesting samsc. Hopefully more people will put a watermark to indicate copyright. That way ownership is very clear. You wonder why some companies such as photography sites don't do this.

#14 gladtobeglas

gladtobeglas

Comes in without knocking first

• Members
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:13 PM

Interesting samsc. Hopefully more people will put a watermark to indicate copyright. That way ownership is very clear. You wonder why some companies such as photography sites don't do this.

I wonder if that's sometimes done to 'ensnare' unsuspecting people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users