Glasgow Transport Museum

46 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Imminent...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgo...est/8521154.stm

"...A number of small displays have already been removed from Kelvin Hall which has been the museum's home for 22 years.

Before it closes in April, there will be a fortnight of free events and a special closing ceremony."

;)

Posted · Report post

Imminent...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgo...est/8521154.stm

"...A number of small displays have already been removed from Kelvin Hall which has been the museum's home for 22 years.

Before it closes in April, there will be a fortnight of free events and a special closing ceremony."

:(

We're sad about the Transport Museum at Kelvin Hall closing. I've spent hour upon hour there with Ryan and when my sister's kids came from Canada when they were wee it was one of their favourite places to visit.

At least the new Riverside Museum will still be within easy reach of the West End. Although, I don't think you have the same emotional attachment to new places. The kids also love the Science Centre, it is fascinating but can you grow to love it?

Posted · Report post

Are there any interesting plans for the Kelvin Hall? *has fantasies that fairground boys and waltzers might move back in* :(

Posted · Report post

Are there any interesting plans for the Kelvin Hall? *has fantasies that fairground boys and waltzers might move back in* :lol:

:o

1z56c79.jpg

David Essex = Peter Gabriel ??

30j0g46.jpg

2cyf7g7.jpg

Posted · Report post

Are there any interesting plans for the Kelvin Hall? *has fantasies that fairground boys and waltzers might move back in*

Good memories

fair.jpg

Posted · Report post

Are there any interesting plans for the Kelvin Hall? *has fantasies that fairground boys and waltzers might move back in* :huh:

And ponies and elephants! Yes, I can see good reasons for not wanting animals in circuses, but when young I liked being able to go and say hello to the poor oppressed beasties*. Waltzers, though, are the work of the devil. :o I went on the blasted things only once. All sad and dizzy and felt sick. I R wimp.

*Oh, not to be friendly, no, but to find out if the heffalumps were scared of hamsters as well as of mice. :lol:

Posted · Report post

saw on TV last night a docu on the return of a huge steam railway engine from Blomfontein in South Africa to Glasgow. The docu closed with the engine being parked in George Square.

I wonder if anyone knows where it is now. The film finished too fast but I thought I caught the date MMVIII

One of the transport team was a guy Ian Mitchel from Glasgow. He seemed to be the boss man

Tam it was a Canadian Docu in a series on moving huge objects like houses to new locations

Posted · Report post

saw on TV last night a docu on the return of a huge steam railway engine from Blomfontein in South Africa to Glasgow. The docu closed with the engine being parked in George Square.

I wonder if anyone knows where it is now. The film finished too fast but I thought I caught the date MMVIII

One of the transport team was a guy Ian Mitchel from Glasgow. He seemed to be the boss man

Tam it was a Canadian Docu in a series on moving huge objects like houses to new locations

Here's news item on the South African engine

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/1...w-steam-engine/

Posted · Report post

Yeah thats it Yonza thanks.

Docu is worth watching

Posted · Report post

Yeah thats it Yonza thanks.

Docu is worth watching

I saw the engine when it was in the Square. It's massive and pretty impressive.

That's one positive thing about the new museum, there will be a lot more room for this type of displauu.

Posted · Report post

Its a pity its only 3'6" gauge & cant be used for excursions

Posted · Report post

Found a short version of the Train from Bloemfontain onYou tube

Its worth a look

Posted · Report post

Are there any interesting plans for the Kelvin Hall? *has fantasies that fairground boys and waltzers might move back in* :angry:

Main part of the KH has been a sports arena for some years now, Harper. The Transport Museum was housed in a separate addition to the building down the side of the errr.... Kelvin.

Sure recall going to the Carnival at KH when a wean though. Highlight of the Christmas holidays so it was. That and the Kings panto. :lol:

Carnival's now at the SECC. And no, it's just no' the same. :lol:

Posted · Report post

:angry:

1z56c79.jpg

David Essex = Peter Gabriel ??

30j0g46.jpg

2cyf7g7.jpg

Uncanny, Iona. :lol:

Lordy though, aren't there just some great looking 50+ men around? Another great reason to shop at Waitrose down Byres an all! :lol:

Posted · Report post

:angry:

I'm moving back for that reason alone Rolo! You'll find me sluttin around the ready meals section

"Never knowingly undersold" :angry:

Posted · Report post

Found a short version of the Train from Bloemfontain onYou tube

Its worth a look

Certainly was, hopefully the video might feature somewhere on the new Transport Museum's stand for this engine - thanks for link.

Posted · Report post

The whole documentary lasts about an hour & starts with a shot of the engine leaving NB loco works on the back of a low loader enroute to South Africa.

Another one in the series is on this week I will try & catch producers name

Posted · Report post

Fims are National Geographical & made by Windfall Films Canada

Posted · Report post

Fims are National Geographical & made by Windfall Films Canada

Found a link on a peer-to-peer service (Emule).

Pretty sure it's same one - says monster moves , 100 ton locomotive.

Gonna try downloading ... (551mb at 9kbs ...it's gonna take a while :lol:)

Posted · Report post

Found a link on a peer-to-peer service (Emule).

Pretty sure it's same one - says monster moves , 100 ton locomotive.

Gonna try downloading ... (551mb at 9kbs ...it's gonna take a while :lol:)

Yeah Monster Moves is the series title good luck

Posted · Report post

Likewise. We have spent many a wistful and nostalgic hour wandering around with the kids, but I think think the Riverside will be even better.

For real bus fans there is a fantastic Vintage Bus Museum over in Fife. We travelled through and spent a great long weekend in the beautiful seaside village called Elie. For Fife self catering we chose Elie Cottage and it was great.

Posted · Report post

I saw the engine when it was in the Square. It's massive and pretty impressive.

Locomotive3007inGeorgeSq.jpg

Locomotive3007inGeorgeSq-1234115336.jpg

Locomotive3007inGeorgeSq-1234116320.jpg

Locomotive3007inGeorgeSq-1233254481.jpg

Posted · Report post

The date for the opening of the new transport museum is given, rather vaguely, as early Summer, 2011. Seems like a million miles away on such a cold and stormy day but can't be long now.

Plenty going on down at the Riverside with plans also underway for a floating village down on the Clyde - with a place for folks to park their yatchs. :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-12171633

Saint Maxime eat your heart out. :)

Posted · Report post

Slightly less so, but still vague. Summer has been pegged down to June:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2011/03/21/new-riverside-museum-set-for-june-opening-86908-23005961/

Slight edit, Kelvingrove Museum's twitter feed states it as exactly 21st June.

Thanks, lynnski. We've eertainly missed the museum so will be great to have it opened again. Maybe some nice summer jaunts down to the riverside. :(