Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Dexter St. Clair

Criterion Cafe 217 Dumbarton Road

Could someone post a photograph of The Criterion Cafe or point me in the direction of any online?

Dex, a lot of folk with Partick connections post on this page:Partick Story

Perhaps somebody could help with your query.

All I remember about it was it had that man made out of ice cream cups in the window!

Guest thomas

I saw a photograph of the Criterion somewhere online recently and have tried a search for it, but I just cannot find it anywhere. I remember the place quite well, we used to go in on a Saturday and get a 'MacCullums' (hope that's the correct spelling). In those days, it was really a traditional cafe and went right through to the back but in later years, the new owner closed off half the place and it was never the same.

Then it was changed into a pizza parlour - well I think they tried to immitate one and the place lost out on the F&F Bingo trade who would come in at 'half time.'

I tried to purchase the business but he wanted to 'run the place down' as the value of the property now outweighed the value of the business, I think he believed that the new development was going to take place anytime soon - that was years ago and he had to wait years, selling an empty shop instead of an 'ongoing business'. It had so much potential but was left to rot due to lack of vision and interest.

I saw a photograph of the Criterion somewhere online recently and have tried a search for it, but I just cannot find it anywhere. I remember the place quite well, we used to go in on a Saturday and get a 'MacCullums' (hope that's the correct spelling). In those days, it was really a traditional cafe and went right through to the back but in later years, the new owner closed off half the place and it was never the same.

Then it was changed into a pizza parlour - well I think they tried to immitate one and the place lost out on the F&F Bingo trade who would come in at 'half time.'

I tried to purchase the business but he wanted to 'run the place down' as the value of the property now outweighed the value of the business, I think he believed that the new development was going to take place anytime soon - that was years ago and he had to wait years, selling an empty shop instead of an 'ongoing business'. It had so much potential but was left to rot due to lack of vision and interest.

Sounds like bad timing. Their ice cream was very popular.

Could someone post a photograph of The Criterion Cafe or point me in the direction of any online?

Dex, Don't know if you ever managed to track down the image you were after.

We've got quite a few comments on Ian Mitchell's feature on Partick, http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/out/partickstory.php including from 'Nadia' whose family owned The Criterion.

I know she has been in touch with Allan Mawn, who owns the recently opened Criterion, maybe one or other of them could help you out.

Dex, Don't know if you ever managed to track down the image you were after.

We've got quite a few comments on Ian Mitchell's feature on Partick, http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/out/partickstory.php including from 'Nadia' whose family owned The Criterion.

I know she has been in touch with Allan Mawn, who owns the recently opened Criterion, maybe one or other of them could help you out.

Nadia's been in touch but none of the family can find the photographs of the cafe.