Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Dexter St. Clair

Glasgow International Exhibition (1901)

There's an introduction to the second of Glasgow's International exhibitions here.

Mu25a29_tp2.jpg

As the twentieth century draws to a close with the celebration of Glasgow as City of Architecture 1999, so the century opened with the Glasgow International Exhibition of 1901, an amazing demonstration of Victorian self confidence which proudly displayed the great progress made in industry, science and art during the nineteenth century.

Although such exhibitions were popular in France from the seventeenth century onwards, the first truly international exhibition to be held in Britain was the 1851 event held at the custom-built Crystal Palace in London. Proving to be massively popular with the public, its success resulted in a craze for further large - and increasingly grander - exhibitions.

The first great universal exhibition held in Glasgow occurred in 1888. This was a roaring success and its profits went towards funding a new and permanent Art Gallery and Museum, to be situated in Kelvingrove Park. Its foundation stone was laid in 1897 and the second exhibition of 1901 was conceived to inaugurate the new building. This was the biggest UK event to be organised so far in the new century, although the 1900 Paris exposition universelle must be given the accolade for being the very first exhibition of the twentieth century.

The exhibition was officially opened on 2 May 1901, and it ran until 9 November.

robertpool on HG spotted this Flckr collection

3347560113_f133764bc8.jpg

The Exhibition photos are towards the end of the set.

Great Pics Dex

Am I right in saying there was another exhibition in 1930s?

Bellehoustan????

Yep. My dad was talking about that one only recently: I think he was a bit cheesed off at the time that all the older siblings got the school trip to the Exhibition but he was still a year too young for school. Aw, the shame. :rolleyes:

Here is a wee YouTube thing about it.

Empire Exhibition Scotland 1938 (Bellahouston Park)

What's this building? I can make out the Kelvingrove museum in the background, so it must be in the west end. It definitely seems to be subsiding, the right hand side windows are nearer the ground than the one on the left, so maybe it got demolished.

3347560113_f133764bc8.jpg

Yep. My dad was talking about that one only recently: I think he was a bit cheesed off at the time that all the older siblings got the school trip to the Exhibition but he was still a year too young for school. Aw, the shame. :mellow:

Here is a wee YouTube thing about it.

Empire Exhibition Scotland 1938 (Bellahouston Park)

Thanks Hammy! Sure you got right link? Link seems sus

What's this building? I can make out the Kelvingrove museum in the background, so it must be in the west end. It definitely seems to be subsiding, the right hand side windows are nearer the ground than the one on the left, so maybe it got demolished.

It's the Grand Concert Hall, Glasgow International Exhibition (1901)

I think most of the buildings were of a temporary construction & were removed after the event.

Guest westtender

It's the Grand Concert Hall, Glasgow International Exhibition (1901)

I think most of the buildings were of a temporary construction & were removed after the event.

You're right of course HH.

yonza, that 1901 Glasgow International Exhibition had many totally fabulous & enormous constructions scattered throughout Kelvingrove park, including an entire reconstruction of a 'typical Highland village' - An Clachan (which is officially the name of the new Kelvingrove tearoom).

intexhphp.jpg

intexh2php.jpg

intexh3php.jpg

intexh4php.jpg

intexh5php.jpg

intexh6.jpg

(Dex, please note last sentence of the last pic....)

Incredible though it may seem, they were all temporary constructions; all except the art gallery & museum were removed after the exhibition. (I believe the Exhibition was also all about celebrating the opening of the Kelvingrove building itself.)

More can be seen at the Virtual Mitchell site. It was a helluva spectacle.

San Francisco held a similar sort of fair in 1915, the Panama-Pacific exhibition, and some of its constructions stand to the present day, most notably the Palace of Fine Arts:

Palace_of_fine_arts_2006.JPG

"....to show "the mortality of grandeur and the vanity of human wishes.""

Thanks for the replies. I vaguely knew about an 'exhibition' in Glasgow way back when, but had no idea it was this lavish. Obviously, with the buildings intended to be temporary, they didnae bother too much with out of sight stuff, like foundations, which would account for the concert hall subsiding.

Guest westtender

Thanks for the replies. I vaguely knew about an 'exhibition' in Glasgow way back when, but had no idea it was this lavish. Obviously, with the buildings intended to be temporary, they didnae bother too much with out of sight stuff, like foundations, which would account for the concert hall subsiding.

Glasgow hosted 2 huge landmark exhibitions: the International in 1901 in Kelvingrove, and the later 1930-something Empire Exhibition, in Bellahouston. As I say, great pics to be seen at Virtual Mitchell.

The only other buildings retained from the 1901 exhibition were the Sunlight Cottages, close to the Dumbarton Rd entrance to the park, which were typical of the accomodation built by William Hesketh Lever for the workers at his factory in Port Sunlight on the Wirral. The houses were donated to the corporation after the exhibition and are used by parks' staff.

3927281276_e5b696e6bc.jpg

There was also a previous exhibition in the 1880's whch was held in Kelvingrove - the profits from which funded the building of the Art Galleries and Museum.

Hi Alan, recovered from your crane jump?

Aye, I must've been here since then, it was nearly a year ago