Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Guest westtender

Gardening & Growing Stuff

WE're just getting started with the tomatoes. Fewer varieties this time, and more space for each. Last year's crop became a science-fiction epic. Jungle of Weird Tomatoes Part One: Search for Mr. Stripey.

Which vegetable does it make most ECONOMIC sense to grow? I'm a big leek man, masel, but they are quite cheap in the shops. I'd like to grow something really expensive this year. Any ideas.

A 'Jungle of Weird Tomatoes' sounds pretty exciting, Sgriob. Perhaps a children's book series in there somewhere.

I think your climate may offer a lot more choice than ours. I'm sometimes tempted to plant ten different varieties of potatoes as I know they'll flourish but a wee challenge is interesting. Last year I found the corn and marrow very thrilling. What about asparagus - that's a very pricey vegetable here?

I love the leeks when they are young and tender and I also love shallots. They look so good when they are growing.

Spent all afternoon on the verandah/balcony. Unfortunately there was an awful lot to throw out, including some plants that seemed to be doing well. The winter was just too long and harsh for the jasmine and passion flower so the creepers are gone and the honeysuckle has only just survived. On the bright side the forsythia has a few wee blossoms for the first time and I potted some petunias, busy lizzies and sweet peas. More sun tomorrow. :)

I have never grown anything in my life but I have a neighbour who is a very enthusiastic gardiner. She is a very young eighty year old and she has roped me in to do a bit of digging. I thought this would be a one way operation but I am starting to enjoy myself. This afternoon I planted some rocket. Not something I have even tasted before. I will need my new friend to keep me right but I am already looking forward to seeing the seeds sproutingn. B)

I have never grown anything in my life but I have a neighbour who is a very enthusiastic gardiner. She is a very young eighty year old and she has roped me in to do a bit of digging. I thought this would be a one way operation but I am starting to enjoy myself. This afternoon I planted some rocket. Not something I have even tasted before. I will need my new friend to keep me right but I am already looking forward to seeing the seeds sproutingn. B)

You'll be hooked before you know it, Rory.

I planted a pepper today, some love in a mist (Nigella damascena) and put canes in for the corn. It was old neighbours who got me interested in the garden many moons ago when my weans were babies. I moved to a new council house in Old Kilpatrick and after digging up all sorts of rubbish I planted grass seed.

Alongside my house were the houses for the old folks and as the years went by they passed on cuttings and advice in equal measure and the lawn was cut back to make way for flowers and vegetables. Happy times.

The rocket grows very quickly so buy some more. You'll soon be munching away in jig time. :)

Yo

The rocket grows very quickly so buy some more. You'll soon be munching away in jig time. :)

munch-munch-munch, munch-munch-munch etc.

munch-munch-munch, munch-munch-munch etc.

What's growing in your garden these days, Sgriob?

I ventured along to the allotment today despite the showers. Had to be done as those weeds are sprouting at some rate. My new wee shelter is very handy and saved me from getting soaked. Jim came along later to lend a hand so made a wee impression and came hope happily with some baby spinach and shallots to cook with dinner. Tasty!:blink:

I have a feeling that those with allotments or veg gardens are going to be much in demand due to the E Coli scare re veg grown in Europe.

I have loads of spinach, the spuds are coming along nicely, the teasels are shooting up sky high but only one single lettuce and millions of weeds. A back breaking challenge lies ahead so the spinach will be handy. :rolleyes:

You two make gardening sound sooooo appealing ...:lol: Think I'll stick to Sainsbo's organic veg counter ...:P

You two make gardening sound sooooo appealing ...:lol: Think I'll stick to Sainsbo's organic veg counter ...:P

I can see you and the wee kitten in the garden, harper. I had a great day at the allotment today and put in a very long shift, which was amazing as I had been to the hospital first thing (it felt more like the torture chamber). Anyway, I have fairly spruced up the plot and pulled out a cartload of weeds.

I am hopeful that some of the corn will thrive, the parsley, fennel and garlic are looking good and we have a few runner beans starting to climb. And I must put up a photograph of our glorious, frilly pink poppies.

It was a very sociable day out and I was pleased to see one of the friendly plotters back after a three month trip to Pakistan to see her 109 year old mum!!!

I came home with baby spinach, our first spuds, loads of rhubarb and a handful of strawberries. I was glad to get a lift home from my next door plotter as I was absolutely manky. :rolleyes:

A glorious day at the allotment. Lots of marigolds popping up now - they're great for keeping away pests.

The corn is looking mighty healthy and the leeks are also making some progress, there are totties a plenty and masses of red currants.

John and Ryan came along with me today and we had a barbecue, which was fun. Even although our bench fell apart.

Fortunately there was a container there today -'for all rubbish'. John helped me dump the broken bunch then

ten minutes later it was rescued by someone else so good to see it being recycled.

I remembered that I had seen a nice wee bench at Poundstretcher in Anniesland so on the way home we went and had a look. It was the last one so I asked for a reduction in the price because it had been 'on show' and we got it for a song.

Another advantage was that we didn't have to build it up - flat packs tend to sit around our house for long spells. Mind you it was a wee bit of a struggle carrying it home as it doesn't fit in our wee car. I'll need to get some kindly soul with a van to give me a hurl to the allotment.

A glorious day at the allotment. Lots of marigolds popping up now - they're great for keeping away pests.

The corn is looking mighty healthy and the leeks are also making some progress, there are totties a plenty and masses of red currants.

John and Ryan came along with me today and we had a barbecue, which was fun. Even although our bench fell apart.

Fortunately there was a container there today -'for all rubbish'. John helped me dump the broken bunch then

ten minutes later it was rescued by someone else so good to see it being recycled.

I remembered that I had seen a nice wee bench at Poundstretcher in Anniesland so on the way home we went and had a look. It was the last one so I asked for a reduction in the price because it had been 'on show' and we got it for a song.

Another advantage was that we didn't have to build it up - flat packs tend to sit around our house for long spells. Mind you it was a wee bit of a struggle carrying it home as it doesn't fit in our wee car. I'll need to get some kindly soul with a van to give me a hurl to the allotment.

Somehow I think you'll find that 'hurl'. :lol:

This weather is delicious. My geranium is sitting happily on my front porch. I'm away to the park with my library book. It's too noisy in there anyway. Part-time jobs are the best. :)

Somehow I think you'll find that 'hurl'. :lol:

This weather is delicious. My geranium is sitting happily on my front porch. I'm away to the park with my library book. It's too noisy in there anyway. Part-time jobs are the best. :)

Sounds like a plan. The geraniums certainly need all the sunshine they can get, Canny Lass.

I'm thinking of buying some bright pink and coral coloured plants to brighten up the verandah. It's looking fairly drab. Although the lobelia seems to be in fine form.

Sounds like a plan. The geraniums certainly need all the sunshine they can get, Canny Lass.

I'm thinking of buying some bright pink and coral coloured plants to brighten up the verandah. It's looking fairly drab. Although the lobelia seems to be in fine form.

I am still learning what is a weed and what is not. I recognise grass :lol: and my teacher has told me to pull up any buttercups or dandelions but I do not recognise them until they have flowers. I also know nettles. I did not know that weeding was such an intensive occupation.

On the up side the rocket is ready to pull and there are some other seeds starting to grow. I am getting into this. :-)

Had a look at the garden (Windsor Ontario) yesterday:-

Am gonnae need a few days tae sort it oot. Wull need tae use a grass whip because the grass is much too thick and some of the thistles are six feet tall. Difficult tae see the berry bushed but two of us did manage tae grab handfuls of the wee red currants, black currants (jist a few have ripened) and loads of small gooseberries, which are turning red and are very sweet.

Plum trees look guid but nae plums....squrrels have been busy.

And speaking of squirrels: three holes through the fascia board and the squirrels have moved intae the attic.......I might be sharing for a wee while, jist hoping that the squirrels move oot oan their ain accord because am reluctant tae call an exterminator.

The daughter and her husband are awa tae lake huron, for the weekend. Am here we two oh the dugs and the German Short-Haired Pointer (aboot twelve year auld) keeps comin tae me and expects the ears tae be rubbed, bloody cheek sohehas. Mind he is awfy guid company.

Am thinkin of going back tae Windsor, the day, but the temp is supposed tae rise tae the middle thirties and that is too damn hot.

tam

I almost stayed on topic

Had a look at the garden (Windsor Ontario) yesterday:-

Am gonnae need a few days tae sort it oot. Wull need tae use a grass whip because the grass is much too thick and some of the thistles are six feet tall. Difficult tae see the berry bushed but two of us did manage tae grab handfuls of the wee red currants, black currants (jist a few have ripened) and loads of small gooseberries, which are turning red and are very sweet.

Plum trees look guid but nae plums....squrrels have been busy.

And speaking of squirrels: three holes through the fascia board and the squirrels have moved intae the attic.......I might be sharing for a wee while, jist hoping that the squirrels move oot oan their ain accord because am reluctant tae call an exterminator.

The daughter and her husband are awa tae lake huron, for the weekend. Am here we two oh the dugs and the German Short-Haired Pointer (aboot twelve year auld) keeps comin tae me and expects the ears tae be rubbed, bloody cheek sohehas. Mind he is awfy guid company.

Am thinkin of going back tae Windsor, the day, but the temp is supposed tae rise tae the middle thirties and that is too damn hot.

tam

I almost stayed on topic

:lol: You're doing well, tam. I can't abide the hot, hot weather but the fruit bushes seem to appreciate it.

Can the Pointer not give the squirrels a hint that they're not welcome?

I'm away to check out red currant recipes.

Avatars have been resurrected. Oor Wullie lives again. :)

A great day at the allotment today. Everything is coming up now that the sun is shining. The corn is starting to sprout and we have tons of spuds, including some of the gorgeous wee Anyas. My friend Ann came along with her nieces's wee girl and wee boy and they had great fun digging up the spuds and they went off with a big bag for their dinner and a bunch of marigolds for their mum. :)

A great day at the allotment today. Everything is coming up now that the sun is shining. The corn is starting to sprout and we have tons of spuds, including some of the gorgeous wee Anyas. My friend Ann came along with her nieces's wee girl and wee boy and they had great fun digging up the spuds and they went off with a big bag for their dinner and a bunch of marigolds for their mum. :)

We lifted our first potatoes and onions and my neighbour is showing me some new recipes, that includes Scotch Tortilla - potatoes, onion, egg all in a deep pan then topped with haggis and grilled with cheddar cheese. It sounds good to me. Tonight is the night. :)

Oooh, get that reciepe posted, pronto! :lol:

:lol: I'm starvin' and now my mouth is watering. Still I've got a lovely Cos lettuce home from the allotment. Think I'll make some Caesar salad.

Rory, don't let your neighbour overdo it with the Haggis. I bought some Haggis Samosas recently - just a step too far with the fusion. :-)