Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
rolo tomassi

Gigs at Glasgow Apollo

SCAN0003.jpg

Lucky man I would have loved to have heard Steve Marriott !

I saw Zep at Earls Court - no ticket stub - blagged and got in for free!!! :P

Human brain is a funny thing. "Most complicated organism in the known universe", or something.

It doesn't always lay down the striations we might want it to, or expect that it would.

I think the reason I don't remember the concerts I went to all those years ago, while JJ obviously has strong recollections is that I'm no' really a concert-going kind of a person. It was always a case of flatmates or schoolmates saying that they were going to get tickets and did I want to come along? Usually, I said yes, but if I hadn't been dragged along, I wouldn't have gone. I think I also saw Roxy Music at the Apollo.

From the collection of Felonious Munk

Apollo.jpg

Eksellenty. Bowie furra kwid eh? Them wur the days right enuff. Ah also wish ah hud been et the Lou Reed gig. Cannae imajine why ah wisnae tae tell ye the trooth.

I think the reason I don't remember the concerts I went to all those years ago, while JJ obviously has strong recollections is that I'm no' really a concert-going kind of a person. It was always a case of flatmates or schoolmates saying that they were going to get tickets and did I want to come along? Usually, I said yes, but if I hadn't been dragged along, I wouldn't have gone. I think I also saw Roxy Music at the Apollo.

I definitely saw Roxy Music, yonza, but like you I seldom bought or was involved in buying tickets for concerts. I usually just tagged along with my brother Danny and all his pals. We went to see 10 CC, Crosby Stills Nash and Young (or some of them), Nils Lofgen, the sensational Alex Harvey band and more. One of the gang, John Mullen, was mad on Frankie Millar so he got me tickets to see him a couple of times.

When I worked in the Albany Hotel as a barmaid we got lots of free tickets so went along to see David Essex, Roxy Music, passed on tickets for Rod Stewart, my sister, who also worked there, got to see The Stones.

Good times.

Prior to that I went to see Johnny Cash a couple of times but can't remember where and saw The Moody Blues and Chuck Berry and Long John Baldry in Greens.

I don't know how you remember so much. I really don't. I went to Green's/Apollo gigs mibbes half a dozen times and the only acts I remember are Fairport Convention with Sandy Denny and Leonard Cohen. Also saw The Incredible String Band somewhere else in Glasgow, but can't remenber where. Was there a concert hall near Candleriggs?

Yeah, Yonza, probably the City Halls in Candleriggs. It closed down for many years between the early 80s and its recent refurb, reopening in 2006 and linked directly into the Old Fruitmarket complex which had previously been run separately.

I saw a couple of rock gigs there in the late 70s but it wasn't really conducive to the genre.

Wayyy too municipal if you get my drift :angry:

From the collection of Felonious Munk

Apollo.jpg

Dex. see that Miles Davis ticket? Are we talking (the late) Bobby Paterson here? He was aye a big fan of Miles as I recall, did he co promo the gig with the Arts Council?

Or was it another Robert Paterson, can you remember?