Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
ck1

US Visitor in June

Hello.

I am to visit in June '09 from San Francisco. (Later we're going up north west past Skye)

I am interested in traditional music and piping (I'm just starting out), and hope to stay for a few days in the West End. Perhaps a B&B? I am intersted in places I might visit to hear some good music in the evenings. I'd be grateful for ideas on quiet, interesting places my wife and I might stay (preferably West End, I think, no?), and where we might find music (or anythign else you think we simply *must* see!).

Regards,

CK

You can start here ...

*Click*

Glasgow is obsessed with football (soccer). Be advised that when asked you are a follower of Partick Thistle. The other two teams in the city, Rangers and Celtic, are (and you should use this word) sh*te.

The guys staggering down the middle of the road at 9am on a Saturday wearing orange sashes are not gay pride and their followers are belligerent. And unwashed.

:rolleyes:

I hope you find all the good stuff you're looking for. As to pubs, get off the subway at Kelvinhall, go right, then right again, walk for about a minute and a half and you'll find the Lismore on Dumbarton Road.

To me Glasgow is just a big city set in beautiful surroundings. It has some fascinating buildings & architecture such a Park Circus area, Art galleries & Kelvingrove areas in West End.

To me the surroundings are the best part I would hire a car to give me mobility A trip down to the Clyde coast. folowing the river on the south side down to Largs is wonderful. If The waverly, a paddle steamer, still does cruises they are a must. The Trossachs & Loch Lomond are fantastic but best avoided at weekends. Tourist trips to these places are well provided.

If going to Skye by car worth taking a couple of days to get there & visiting some of the Lochs & villages on the way North. The train journey to Mallaig, en route toSkye, is a great experience too.

Another must is a trip to Edinburgh by train , takes only an hour, Princes Street, The rRoayal Mile & the Castle are musts.

I have not lived in Glasgow for years & Im sure others can give you much better & more up to date ideas than me.

One thing sure is you will have a ball if you relax.

Go for a wander up Ashton Lane, behind the Hillhead subway station on Byres Road. It has a huge number of pubs, coffe houses etc. The Ubiquitous Chip is a particularly famous Glasgow eating place. Many of the posters on here drink in the upstairs bar.

Evening-Ashton-Lane.jpg

At the top of Byres Road, there's an old church which has been converted into a pub/theatre/restaurant called 'Oran Mor' where you can sample a traditional Scottish haggis dinner

584539.jpg

50 yards across the road from Oran Mor, there's the Botanic Gardens with a tropical plant collection in the glasshouses

kibble-palace.jpg

Then, take a wander down Byres Road to Tennent's bar and sample their bewildering selection of 'real ales', many of which are brewed in Scotland.

byres251205.jpg

After that, go for a stroll in the streets behind Tennent's bar where the heart of the west end is to be found. Nothing 'unmissable', really. Just a real 'lived in' place that isn't touristy.

Go for a wander up Ashton Lane, behind the Hillhead subway station on Byres Road. It has a huge number of pubs, coffe houses etc. The Ubiquitous Chip is a particularly famous Glasgow eating place. Many of the posters on here drink in the upstairs bar....

At the top of Byres Road, there's an old church which has been converted into a pub/theatre/restaurant called 'Oran Mor' where you can sample a traditional Scottish haggis dinner...

50 yards across the road from Oran Mor, there's the Botanic Gardens with a tropical plant collection in the glasshouses

Then, take a wander down Byres Road to Tennent's bar and sample their bewildering selection of 'real ales', many of which are brewed in Scotland.

After that, go for a stroll in the streets behind Tennent's bar where the heart of the west end is to be found. Nothing 'unmissable', really. Just a real 'lived in' place that isn't touristy.

Yonza, where've you been? Your a honey. Great post.

ck1, might be and idea to catch Play, Pie and Pint - the lunchtime theatre in OranMor.

You could also take a wander along from Partick Cross to Hyndland Street stop off at Rio's cafe, nice buzz abou the place and good food and coffee. Stroll on up to Hyndland and have a peep in Cottier's - fine piece of architecture - you'll find some swanky shops on Hyndland Road. Cassiopeia and Hilly and Boo's both have worth a browse. Jasmine is the most pleasant of the ladies' fashion shops and there is a fabulous, though expensive, shoe shop.

From there you can stroll back onto Byres Road along Highburgh Road and cross over to University Avenue. Very pleasant wandering around the cloisters and looking over towards Kelvingrove. Across from the old buildings at the Uni you will find The Hunterian, a small art gallery with some great paintings, including a great collection of Whistler's work and the Colourists.

You can stroll round University Avenue and at the junction you have the choice of going down Kelvin Way or continuing on to Gibson Street. Kelvin Way will take you down to Kelvingrove Park and Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, if you go towards Gibson Street you'll probably run into Jim in Offshore, a very pleasant cafe.

If you continue on a wee bit you will come to Park Road on your left - you might find me there in Sonny and Vito's, brilliant deli and bistro.

Loads more - give us a wee hint regarding what you really enjoy. If you're around the West End during June the Festival will be on - worth noting that the Parade Day get can a wee bit riotous as they day progresses, however, there is a lot more to the festival than the Mardi Gras so pick up a programme in the library or from a local shop.

Also worth checking out our What's On and Gig Guide on the main site.

Hello.

I am to visit in June '09 from San Francisco. (Later we're going up north west past Skye)

I am interested in traditional music and piping (I'm just starting out), and hope to stay for a few days in the West End. Perhaps a B&B? I am intersted in places I might visit to hear some good music in the evenings. I'd be grateful for ideas on quiet, interesting places my wife and I might stay (preferably West End, I think, no?), and where we might find music (or anythign else you think we simply *must* see!).

Regards,

CK

Hello and welcome to the forum, CK1 :rolleyes:

Here's a link to the Piping Centre in Glasgow, which has a good B&B attached next door, called the Piper's Tryst. Info on music you might like is on the site too.

http://www.thepipingcentre.co.uk/

Here's the link to the College of Piping, which is based in the West End; there are lots of local B&Bs only a couple of streets away.

http://www.college-of-piping.co.uk/acatalog/info.html

The Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama has a dedicated Scottish music school and often have end-of-term showcases in June. More info here;

http://www.rsamd.ac.uk/undergraduate/sm/

When you travel up north west you could do worse than check in with these good folks for more info on music in the area that you might enjoy;

http://www.musicplockton.org/

And finally, for general gig listings in traditional music happening in June, you could try these;

http://www.tmsa.org.uk/

http://www.scottishmusiccentre.com/home.ph...=event_listings

best to you

Rolo

What a wonderful group of people here! Thanks so much for the terrific ideas. It will be my fist time in Glasgow (an ancestor was married there in the 1600s), and I will definitely look into the College of Piping (I see that I could have a short lesson there, good fun) and some of the pubs and music venues you've mentioned. We hope to settle on a reasonable B&B shortly in the West End.

Thanks again,

CK1

ck1:

In this instance am inclined tae agree, they are a guid bunch and did provide excellent pointers. See thon relative/ancestor who was married in Glasgow, well, am wondering if the photographer went by the initials, HH...if so he is a geriatric member of glasgowwestend.

tam

PS Try and see Dougie.

Dougie? What would that be then? Is this Scottish code for something edible ( :D )

ck1:

In this instance am inclined tae agree, they are a guid bunch and did provide excellent pointers. See thon relative/ancestor who was married in Glasgow, well, am wondering if the photographer went by the initials, HH...if so he is a geriatric member of glasgowwestend.

tam

PS Try and see Dougie.

Dougie? What would that be then? Is this Scottish code for something edible ( :D )

Hi ck1 :D

I see that you are going up to Skye, there are some great new bands up there! You might like to check out this band who come from Skye

www.myspace.com/peatbogfaeries

and this band who although don't originate from Skye and we don't hold that against them :) are still pretty hot :D

www.myspace.com/laumusic

Enjoy your stay!

Hi ck1 :D

I see that you are going up to Skye, there are some great new bands up there! You might like to check out this band who come from Skye

www.myspace.com/peatbogfaeries

and this band who although don't originate from Skye and we don't hold that against them :D are still pretty hot :D

www.myspace.com/laumusic

Enjoy your stay!

Agree, Iona, both Peatbog Faeries and Lau are brilliant. Kris Drever who's in Lau is, of course, from Orkney - the is sensational. Iain Copeland the drummer from the Faeries comes from my village Old Kilpatrick.

ck - if possible you should visit Wester Ross, without a doubt the most beautiful part of Scotland.

I think we are indeed going up that way- Loch Torridon, on the west coast up past Skye. Four days of wandering about..... Do you know a good place to stay on the way back to Glasgow?

I think we are indeed going up that way- Loch Torridon, on the west coast up past Skye. Four days of wandering about..... Do you know a good place to stay on the way back to Glasgow?

The Loch Torridon Hotel is brilliant. Just had lunch there but would love to stay.

Plenty of hotels in Oban - The Caledonian is pleasant. Don't know if that would be off your route, ck1.

....an ancestor was married there in the 1600s...

It'll never last.

Hi Calvin, sorry about the bad joke there.

I just thought I might tell you about an experience I had in your wonderful city, when I visited around three years ago. I was staying in the Chancellor Hotel on Powell Street and had been down at Fisherman's Wharf for some food, (in Alioto's), and a few beers, (can't remember which bar, but sure it was on Jefferson Street - though definitely not Hooters, as my wife was with me).

The night was closing in and the temperature dropping rapidly, so we decided to catch a cab back to the hotel. The first cab to pass was free and so we flagged him down.

Settling immediately into the welcome warmth of the cab, I turned to the driver and noticed that he was Chinese. Avoiding the obvious jokes, (which is so unlike me), I asked him to take me to Powell Street.

He looked at me with a puzzled expresssion and said, ( with a Chinese accent obviously), "Pao Steet?"

I said, " Yes, Powell Street."

He said, " Don' know no Pao Steet"

I said, "The Chancellor Hotel on Powell Street."

He said, " Don' know Chanssa Hotew on Pao Steet"

I said, " Powell Street is very famous Street"

He said, "Solly, don' know velly famous Pao Steet"

I said, " It's on Union Square"

He swivelled in his seat, faster than I would have thought possible, and said, "Aaah! You no mean Pao Steet, you mean Paaoooo Steet"

Somewhat exasperated by now, I childishly said, "Yes, I'm going back to hotel to play my new Lobbie Williams cd"

He said, with an expression on his face that suggested I had just farted loudly in his taxi,(and this is true), "Lobbie Wiwyams?"

It was at this point I nodded and refrained from further conversation until we were safely on Pao Steet. After all the beer I'd had, I couldn't risk pissing in my pants.

Anyway, wonderful city and one of the finest I've ever visited. I'll definitely be back one day, though probably in a warmer month than March. I only hope you enjoy my city as much as I enjoyed yours.

It'll never last.

I just thought I might tell you about an experience I had in your wonderful city, when I visited around three years ago. I was staying in the Chancellor Hotel on Powell Street and had been down at Fisherman's Wharf for some food, (in Alioto's), and a few beers, (can't remember which bar, but sure it was on Jefferson Street - though definitely not Hooters, as my wife was with me).

The night was closing in and the temperature dropping rapidly, so we decided to catch a cab back to the hotel. The first cab to pass was free and so we flagged him down.

Settling immediately into the welcome warmth of the cab, I turned to the driver and noticed that he was Chinese. Avoiding the obvious jokes, (which is so unlike me), I asked him to take me to Powell Street.

He looked at me with a puzzled expresssion and said, ( with a Chinese accent obviously), "Pao Steet?"

I said, " Yes, Powell Street."

He said, " Don' know no Pao Steet"

I said, "The Chancellor Hotel on Powell Street."

He said, " Don' know Chanssa Hotew on Pao Steet"

I said, " Powell Street is very famous Street"

He said, "Solly, don' know velly famous Pao Steet"

I said, " It's on Union Square"

He swivelled in his seat, faster than I would have thought possible, and said, "Aaah! You no mean Pao Steet, you mean Paaoooo Steet"

Somewhat exasperated by now, I childishly said, "Yes, I'm going back to hotel to play my new Lobbie Williams cd"

He said, with an expression on his face that suggested I had just farted loudly in his taxi,(and this is true), "Lobbie Wiwyams?"

It was at this point I nodded and refrained from further conversation until we were safely on Pao Steet. After all the beer I'd had, I couldn't risk pissing in my pants.

Anyway, wonderful city and one of the finest I've ever visited. I'll definitely be back one day, though probably in a warmer month than March. I only hope you enjoy my city as much as I enjoyed yours.

Renfrew isn't a city! There's no chance of enjoying anything there, even if it was :)

Well of course I am convinced the same thing will happen to me in Glasgow. Someone will say 'Och" or "wee dram" and I'll not have a clue as to what they mean....

:blink:

It'll never last.

I just thought I might tell you about an experience I had in your wonderful city,

You'll be right!

Just say you are a Canadian & prices will be cheaper. Thats what my friend from Kansas daughter says.

but that was before she learnt aboot the power of the red shoes.

tam

PS am trying quick reply.

PPS Jist because it's there.

We've just come back from our visit to Glasgow (& Wester Ross, etc.), and we took your advice and did pretty much everything the folks here recommended-- from the Pubs to the restaurants to the streets down which we strolled. God I wish we had a Tennent's here! Anyway, all your counsel and advise was well talken and made for a wonderful time. Be sure to let me know if you come to San Francisco-- thanks again.

We've just come back from our visit to Glasgow (& Wester Ross, etc.), and we took your advice and did pretty much everything the folks here recommended-- from the Pubs to the restaurants to the streets down which we strolled. God I wish we had a Tennent's here! Anyway, all your counsel and advise was well talken and made for a wonderful time. Be sure to let me know if you come to San Francisco-- thanks again.

Glad you enjoyed yourself. Hope you return again soon.

Guest westtender

;)

Good stuff. Glad you had a good time.

SF is my next favourite city in the world after Glasgow. Warm and damp... wonderful smells, clanging of tramcars, ships and beautiful briges; wharves, beach, hills, incredible views - and big big ocean. And sourdough and steam beer. And Sam Wu's. And Persian Aub ZamZam, Vesuvio and City Lights.

And KFOG!

My kinna toon!

B)

*snif* havenae been for ages

That's great, ck1. Glad you had such a good time. If you fancy writing a wee review I'll put it up on the site.

Pat