Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
The Jolly Jumjoogler

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

Helping at the Senior's Table, tomorrow, last weekend for the Farmer's Market.

Off to visit daughter Tracy on Saturday afternoon; she is closing her trailer for the winter.

Sunday Tracy is cooking a turkey ....thanksgiving...am gonnae keep my eye oan the preparations, jist tae mak sure that she disnae put the burd upside doon.

Monday is a holiday, but as Sgriob remarked oan an earlier post, retired folk dinnae really get the benefit of a holiday.

tam

Almost sur am flying intae Gatwick and taking the train tae Glasgow.

Was gonnae rent the car frae Gatwick but they want an extra fee if I leave the car in Glasgow; the fee is aboot the same as the rail fare.

Helping at the Senior's Table, tomorrow, last weekend for the Farmer's Market.

Off to visit daughter Tracy on Saturday afternoon; she is closing her trailer for the winter.

Sunday Tracy is cooking a turkey ....thanksgiving...am gonnae keep my eye oan the preparations, jist tae mak sure that she disnae put the burd upside doon.

Monday is a holiday, but as Sgriob remarked oan an earlier post, retired folk dinnae really get the benefit of a holiday.

tam

Almost sur am flying intae Gatwick and taking the train tae Glasgow.

Was gonnae rent the car frae Gatwick but they want an extra fee if I leave the car in Glasgow; the fee is aboot the same as the rail fare.

Good idea to get the train, tam. You can relax, look out the window and you never know who you might meet.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Good idea to get the train, tam. You can relax, look out the window and you never know who you might meet.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Aye the train's the bees knees right enough. Best value in Britain..... everything else -- to a chap whose first take-home pay was four pounds ten -- is nightmarishly expensive.

Aye the train's the bees knees right enough. Best value in Britain..... everything else -- to a chap whose first take-home pay was four pounds ten -- is nightmarishly expensive.

You got paid a fortune, Sgriob. I think I got about half of that.laugh.gif

I like traveling by train best of all, much more relaxing than flying and no hassle about when you can leave your seat. smile.gif

When you're going on a long journey it's a good idea to buy some nice sandwiches or snacks at the station, or prepare some yourself, as not a lot of choice on the train and they are usually horrible and extortionate.

Also don't count on getting the set you booked. You might think you are in B, when they've put you in E. Then we've had the discussion about what people actually understand by 'Quiet Carriage'. rolleyes.gif

You got paid a fortune, Sgriob. I think I got about half of that.laugh.gif

I like traveling by train best of all, much more relaxing than flying and no hassle about when you can leave your seat. smile.gif

When you're going on a long journey it's a good idea to buy some nice sandwiches or snacks at the station, or prepare some yourself, as not a lot of choice on the train and they are usually horrible and extortionate.

Also don't count on getting the set you booked. You might think you are in B, when they've put you in E. Then we've had the discussion about what people actually understand by 'Quiet Carriage'. rolleyes.gif

The arrangement that works best for me is booking a standard ticket and then having a looooong lunch in First Class. It's much cheaper than buying a FC ticket and the food is great. smile.gif

I love the London to Glasgow journey. smile.gif

The arrangement that works best for me is booking a standard ticket and then having a looooong lunch in First Class. It's much cheaper than buying a FC ticket and the food is great. smile.gif

I love the London to Glasgow journey. smile.gif

Now there's an idea, you sophisticated thing. :lol:

The arrangement that works best for me is booking a standard ticket and then having a looooong lunch in First Class.

Paid for with your child benefit no doubt. :lol:

Paid for with your child benefit no doubt. tongue.gif

Aye, the rate you get for shovin' weans up posh London lums jist isnae whit it wiz .... laugh.gif

Train Travel:

I received an e-mail from brit rail. £15.50 if i can get a, limited edition, one way, specific train ticket from London tae Glasgow. Prices range from the aforementioned tae £113.10 for an off peak, travel on any train tae anywhere, ticket.

Not sure but think I may qualify for a senior discount card; cost is £26.00 and it trims your fare by one third. Lokks as if I can buy this at any train station if I produce my birth certificate.

Anithur guid thing is that the niece wullnae havtae drive me tae the station because the tube goes ivryplace. Mind she has assured me that she wull drive me; a guid lass who takes after her late Mother.

At the trailer yesterday. We pit tarps oan because there is a wee leak frae the roof. I drove back tae Ridgetown; lost again and the one and a half hour drive ballooned to three and a half hours. Am back tae London on., the day for a turkey dinner.

A daughter, three grandsons, a very nice lady who has known my daughter for many years three dogs and a cat tae greet me, whit mair cuid a man ask for ? i know, i know, i know.

tam

Och Pat is that the mammy coming oot in you, you forgot to tell him to take a wee tartan blanket in case his legs get cold ;)

Och Pat is that the mammy coming oot in you, you forgot to tell him to take a wee tartan blanket in case his legs get cold :D

;) That was Plan A, Maggs. He's going to dine First Class - Plan B.

Assuming that the train from London uses Glasgow Cenral Station, which enterprise car rental place would be the closest to the station ?

tam

Assuming that the train from London uses Glasgow Cenral Station, which enterprise car rental place would be the closest to the station ?

tam

I am sure its down on the Broomielaw beside the Daily Record building, a good 3/4 mile hike

Aren't Enterprise the firm which advertise 'we bring the car to you'?

Might be worth a phone call, tam.

Might be worth a phone call, tam.

Oooo, you could have a person meet you holding "Tam" up in a card. I've always wanted to do that. laugh.gif

First track gold medal for India. Women's 4x400 m relay. Brilliant! The crowd were ecstatic.

Guest Mr Harper

Oooo, you could have a person meet you holding "Tam" up in a card. I've always wanted to do that. laugh.gif

If you see her there with a card with Tam on it Tam, ... keep on walking, she doesn't have a driving licence ;)

If you see her there with a card with Tam on it Tam, ... keep on walking, she doesn't have a driving licence :lol:

I do ! and depending on work commitments I could be the ONE holding up that placard !!! Pm me Tam

Keep shtum, Tam, and board the next train to Perth. :lol:

When Tam arrives at Glasgow I, If available, due to my knowledge of my beloved country can show him around,take him wherever he wants via the scenic route, including Perth. I have Satnav in my car, you know !! B)I also have a radio, so if should he and I get on each others nerves, I will just turn the volume up. I will be mannerly enough to ask which station he wants to listen to of course

Hingmie:

I shall do the PM as soon as I know my arrival time. Then we will need to pick Pat up, search for Harper and find Maggs.

tam

we may have to use a bit of subterfuge because HH might be on the prowl.Then we will drop in on the Duke of Dumbarton....he lives in the shadda of the rock.