Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RE the Christchurch earthquake. The NZers seem to be just rolling up their sleeves and getting to it. Huge quake. Have they recevied offers of help, Ozneil, do you know? Not much about it in our papers.

We immediately offered the Kiwis anything they needed. they responded that they didnt think they needed anything but would let us know if they did.

No screaming for UN help just getting on with it

Very commen sensical of them. I admire them.

On a separate note: We have been having monsoons from a tropical storm and probably a hundred birds were in the all the low spots in the yard and the birdbaths having a part.

Today I noticed a parakeet outside. I felt a little sorry for him. It must be an escapee. It reminded me of Charleton Heston in Planet of the Apes. He was among his kind, but not among his absolute kind. :lol: Poor little dude.

We immediately offered the Kiwis anything they needed. they responded that they didnt think they needed anything but would let us know if they did.

I read that the strict building regs played a large part in the lack of serious casualties.

Amazing that so many of the properties are sound and no loss of life and only two major injuries.

Seems to be down to the stringent building regulations and also lucky with regard to the time of the quake around 4 a.m. when folk were mainly in their own homes.

Quite amazing when compared to Haiti, as both quakes were about the same magnitude. Still there will be substantial economic impact on the country and disruption.

I read that the strict building regs played a large part in the lack of serious casualties.

Yes all buildings except house buildings have to be built to earthquake standards since 1960s. It was the older buildings that copped it.

It was a very severe earthquake

The Kiwis are an amazing people very self reliant

N. Z. is home to a very special lady. Not sure if she is near the area of damage. If she is close then she will no doubt be telling folk to "get on with the clean up, you bloody slackers".

tam

This photograph was taken in Caithness

985trip212.jpg

at the site of an abandonned village. The photograph was taken in front of an obelisk which stood on the cliff edge

We stopped to look at the monument which read in part that it had been erected by Donald Sinclair, Merchant of Dunedin NZ in 1911 to commemerate the villagers ( Buggered if I can remember the name) who in 18?? left this spot on SS (Ditto) bound for Otago NZ together with all their livestock implements and all their possessions.

The villagers had originally been crofters but were cleared from their land to make way for sheep. They were given a piece of most inhospitable cliff side to eek out a bare miserable existance fishing and raising a few vegetables. They left en-mass for the South Island of NZ.

With stock like that is not surprising that the Kiwis are such a self reliant nation . They didnt sit on their arses bemoaning but accepting their lot in life they did something about it

I would be gratefull if any of you can give me name of village, its just off the A9 somewhere South of Wick

otago.gif

This photograph was taken in Caithness

985trip212.jpg

at the site of an abandonned village. The photograph was taken in front of an obelisk which stood on the cliff edge

We stopped to look at the monument which read in part that it had been erected by Donald Sinclair, Merchant of Dunedin NZ in 1911 to commemerate the villagers ( Buggered if I can remember the name) who in 18?? left this spot on SS (Ditto) bound for Otago NZ together with all their livestock implements and all their possessions.

The villagers had originally been crofters but were cleared from their land to make way for sheep. They were given a piece of most inhospitable cliff side to eek out a bare miserable existance fishing and raising a few vegetables. They left en-mass for the South Island of NZ.

With stock like that is not surprising that the Kiwis are such a self reliant nation . They didnt sit on their arses bemoaning but accepting their lot in life they did something about it

I would be gratefull if any of you can give me name of village, its just off the A9 somewhere South of Wick

otago.gif

I think the village you are talking about is Badbea, Oz. Two years ago we drove through Caithness to Scrabster, when we were going to Orkney. Very interesting and atmospheric area. Driving north we had a boat to catch but the plan was to investigate and do touristy stuff on the way home, however, there was a very thick mist that day and we could hardly see the road for many, many miles, never mind the sights.

This site has a lot of information:

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/areawick/index.html

Yeah thanks thats the place I think. Memory must be playing tricks. Was sure it was a white marble obilisk with inscription as I half remembered it but photos look very like the place I remember. Obviously I am getting mixed up somewhat.

A hope this is the nae topic thread:

Jist wanted tae say that I have read some very guid posts, the day.

Hingmie, HollowHorn, Dex, Nota, Rolo and a few by my friend Harper.

Oh ay, and the poster who recommended the book.

tam

noo, back tae the likes and dislikes.

A hope this is the nae topic thread:

Jist wanted tae say that I have read some very guid posts, the day.

Hingmie, HollowHorn, Dex, Nota, Rolo and a few by my friend Harper.

Oh ay, and the poster who recommended the book.

tam

noo, back tae the likes and dislikes.

I home you had a great day at your daughters, Tam.

Well:

What with lawyers holding my money; needing time tae dae a

presentation tae Scots Law; sortin oot flight plans; a heid

cold because of the sudden change temperature; tryin tae find

the time tae skate and a blackened toe nail that wullnae fa

off ah wis feelin a bit oot of sorts........exacerbated tae

the nth degree because thurs naebody tae cuddle up tae !!

The heid was tellin me whit a pain in the rear i am and am

no arguin because it is probably the truth.

Jist when am ready tae start doon the "poor me" boulevard i

read anithur post by Hingmie.

Ken she did a super post oan the restaurant and guid as it is

she has outdone herself we a tiny post oan the Frank Boyle

thread....

Hingmie is definitely mod material.

tam

thank you Hingmie, the sunshine has arrived.

Well:

What with lawyers holding my money; needing time tae dae a

presentation tae Scots Law; sortin oot flight plans; a heid

cold because of the sudden change temperature; tryin tae find

the time tae skate and a blackened toe nail that wullnae fa

off ah wis feelin a bit oot of sorts........exacerbated tae

the nth degree because thurs naebody tae cuddle up tae !!

The heid was tellin me whit a pain in the rear i am and am

no arguin because it is probably the truth.

Jist when am ready tae start doon the "poor me" boulevard i

read anithur post by Hingmie.

Ken she did a super post oan the restaurant and guid as it is

she has outdone herself we a tiny post oan the Frank Boyle

thread....

Hingmie is definitely mod material.

tam

thank you Hingmie, the sunshine has arrived.

tam, glad the sunshine has arrived and hope the toe nail will be gone tomorrow and your cold. I'm sure all the other stuff will sort itself out and that flight plans will be made and your presentation sorted. Sending you some virtual cuddles and hoping that Hingmie will post some more and cheer you up further. Hope you can steer clear of the 'poor me' boulevard and get back on the happy path. :lol:

I received a PM which mentioned that this had been a good night,I heartily agree.I cannae speak for everyone even though, on many occasions, i write as if I were.

Furstly animus didnae have centre stage; a wee bit here and there mibee, but jist enough that we didnae forget whaur we wur.

GM had returned and she is definitely a plus. Sgriob was here and he does bring out a lot that is good; the ladies love him and am a wee bit jealous, awright mibee a big bit jealous; am gonnae forgive mahsel because the jealousy disnae last for mair than a few days. Mr. Heidcase appeared and I

liked that...ah wis a bit worried that he had engaged in another brannigan at his local and the pollis had detained him; mind it has been a few days so mibee he was awa. Anyway, am awa tae mah bed and hopefully, if the magic continues, Rolo wull be here if I should wake in the middle of

my night.

tam

PS St. Johnstone have won a game.

I hope you sleep well, Tam.

I have had a couple of good days. Sunday I braved the freeways and made it to a place thirty or forty miles away and attended an art workshop. On the way home I took a wrong on-ramp and ended up on Sam Houston Toll Road. It tages only EZ-Tag, which is a tag on your liscense plate that a camera scans and charges you toll. I don't have an EZ-Tag. My friend will soon get a traffic ticket in the mail. NOW I have EZ-Tag. Anyway - the Toll road was lovely on a Sunday afternoon. No traffic, except three cars and every one moving at a leisurely pace. I knew I was lost, but saw an off-ramp that said Lake Olympus (so over the top, you almost have to like it!). I took the Lake Olympus exit and ended up in a housing developement with marinas, yard side docks, etc. I thought, "Where are the convenience stores? Doesn't anyone need diapers or milk in the middle of the night?".

After another thirty minutes I made my way home. I felt like that was a big victory in itself. Only one small unsettling part. I stopped at a convenience store and asked a young Asian guy for directions. He was so nice and gave me perfectly clear directions and I followed them. I felt sorry that he had to work in a store behind a plexiglass wall to keep from being robbed. Or, more precisely, to keep from being killed while he was being robbed.