Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

Ye Gods is this true??

From Australian

A LOCAL council in northern England, ordered a family to pull down their nine-year-old daughters outdoor playset, local media reported overnight.

Hard-line town planners from Newcastle City Council told Craig and Lindsay Preston they had 21 days to take down the play equipment because it was on land zoned for farming, The Journal said.

The council ruled that the playset, which was used by the couple’s daughter Honor and her friends, was a permanent structure.

Craig Preston said he was angry the playset, which was built on the family’s paddock next to their home three years ago, had to go.

"We knew when we bought the house that we weren’t allowed to build houses on the paddock, but we never thought for a minute that we couldn’t have a piece of play equipment for Honor," he said.

A council spokesman defended the decision, saying it was important to protect farming land from development.

"It is the council’s duty to investigate any alleged unauthorised use of land," he said.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are those lorikeets, Ozneil? Beautiful birds. In Sweden I was sleeping with my window open and every morning four magpies would light on my window sill and get very busy with pecking, gossiping, and generally waking me up. One morning my son in law left his newspaper on the chair outside and I woke to the magpies shredding it and having a wonderful time doing so. The magpies there are much larger than ours here. The also have those lovely hooded crows, which I love.

Are those lorikeets, Ozneil? Beautiful birds. In Sweden I was sleeping with my window open and every morning four magpies would light on my window sill and get very busy with pecking, gossiping, and generally waking me up. One morning my son in law left his newspaper on the chair outside and I woke to the magpies shredding it and having a wonderful time doing so. The magpies there are much larger than ours here. The also have those lovely hooded crows, which I love.

Yes P they are "rainbow lorikeets" they hang around in gangs and are very fond of brown bread and honey.

They always remind me of jet fighters they always fly in pairs very very fast straight and level with not deviations off their course.

We are expecting Koel birds down from Papaua New Guinea soon. I hope they dont decided to stop near here & keep heading south. They have a most annoyong call (Koo ---ell) that goes on for about 20 hours a day interspersed with human yells of "Fer God's sake shurrrup" usually late at night or early morning.

We have magpies too but Westie reliably informs me that they are "No real Magpies"

We have cockatoos that rip papers to pieces also rip out windshield wiper rubbers, break car ariels and upset rubbish cans, they hang out in gangs of 30-50 looking for trouble! The local gang has its HQ in the bush close to our house

Cockatoo_Sulphur-crested_Gilfedder.jpg

They are a tad bigger than a crow

I love the birds, Neil.

My friend didn't feed the birds while I was gone (it's ok, they have wild food all over right now). I wasn't in the garden ten minutes before I had screeching blue jays, pipping cardinals and raucous crows nagging for food. To say nothing of the squirrels who were sitting around on the fence waiting. I fed them all and I love the idea of our yard being a safe haven for animals and birds. Fresh water, no chemicals, no house cats, etc. It's very nice.

I love the birds, Neil.

My friend didn't feed the birds while I was gone (it's ok, they have wild food all over right now). I wasn't in the garden ten minutes before I had screeching blue jays, pipping cardinals and raucous crows nagging for food. To say nothing of the squirrels who were sitting around on the fence waiting. I fed them all and I love the idea of our yard being a safe haven for animals and birds. Fresh water, no chemicals, no house cats, etc. It's very nice.

I love them too.

We have 2 or 3 butcher birds that come to the kitchen window each day. Lorikeets will come for 2 or 3 days then vanish for a while (weeks) and then suddenly appear again. A Kookaburra is here week days, at week ends and holidays we reckon he vanishes up to the nearby National park to partake of the BBQs there, obviously better food. Hanging around the garden most of the time are Mynah birds and Wattlebirds, they both go for blossoms on the bushes. Magpies and pygmy magpies come and go. Luckily cockatoos overfly us every day (raucus bunch) always remind me as a women's guild out on a bus trip with all the chatter and yelling at each other.

We really encourage kookaburra with him around no snakes.

greedy.jpg

Gorr any termatta sauce? (kookaburra)

Butchopenmouth.jpg

Just washed my feathers, cant do a thing with them! Where's Brekkie? (butcher bird)

I love them too.

We have 2 or 3 butcher birds that come to the kitchen window each day. Lorikeets will come for 2 or 3 days then vanish for a while (weeks) and then suddenly appear again. A Kookaburra is here week days, at week ends and holidays we reckon he vanishes up to the nearby National park to partake of the BBQs there, obviously better food. Hanging around the garden most of the time are Mynah birds and Wattlebirds, they both go for blossoms on the bushes. Magpies and pygmy magpies come and go. Luckily cockatoos overfly us every day (raucus bunch) always remind me as a women's guild out on a bus trip with all the chatter and yelling at each other.

We really encourage kookaburra with him around no snakes.

greedy.jpg

Gorr any termatta sauce? (kookaburra)

Butchopenmouth.jpg

Just washed my feathers, cant do a thing with them! Where's Brekkie? (butcher bird)

That wee butcher bird is gorgeous, Oz. I don't think I would get a thing done if I had all the activity that you and peony have in your gardens. Very entertaining - with all the comings and goings. Including that Kookaburra with the week-end assignments elsewhere. :rolleyes:

We have cockatoos that rip papers to pieces also rip out windshield wiper rubbers......

Well, ah know this is the threid wheer ye cannae go aff topic, but whooda thunk that, efter 112 payjiz, containin 2,238 further contribyooshins, we wid get back tae the same subject as the orijinul post?

This kwote is fae the very furst post made oan this threid:

"The two-foot long burd ca'd the Kea, whit lives in Nyoo Zealind, likes tae eat the strips o' rubber aroon caur windaes!"

Spooky ur whit?

Re: That Edinburgh Fringe Festival:

Rubbish.

I haven't seen one decent haircut in amongst the lot of it.

Shouldn't this maybe be int the 'jokes' thread...?

Anyhoo.

:lol:

Winner of this year's 'Funniest Joke at the Fringe' was Tim Vine with this;

"I've just been on a once-in-a-lifetime holiday. I'll tell you what, never again."

Which I think is ok, but not hysterically funny. I like last years winner;

"Hedgehogs - why can't they just share the hedge?" (Dan Antoploski, who I've never heard of!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11053202

4915500527_00bd9b0d05_z.jpg

Amazing, Mr LG. I went down to Bowling today and saw the big hoose in your other photograph. Looking mighty ###### and span down there these days. Where have all the grotty boats gone? Some of my friends used to live in one.

:D Looks like I can't say s pick - even as an adjective.