Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

Guest Kelvin Groove

The man does love his tat. I have to say, Horrids has to be about the most over-hyped :blink: store I've been in.

The Egyptian room with the sphinxes had me in stitches of laughter.

mem_2.jpg

It's absolutely kitsch beyond your wildest kitsch dreams.

I had to be huckled away from the statue by a chum because I was convulsing with laughter. Harrods is a busted flush.

I'm still forced to queue for feckin Santa with my niece every year ( when I say "Santa" he's one of 10!)

Last Christmas my niece poked one of the faux brick walls and said: "It's not real is it?"

I'm hoping she's applied that learning to the whole Santa question and this year she and me and her mum, can go to Harvey Nicks instead.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Kelvin Groove

Does anyone remember the Biba store in Kengsington Church Street? It was totally amazing. Coolest place to hang out.

I still have a can of BIBA baked beans somewhere, although I think I got to go to it late in its life.

I bought that dark purple lipstick and eyshadow when my Dad saw me wearing he said: "Jeez, you look like you've been dead for a week."

Once spent all my savings on an Ossie Clark blouse.

Now Pat, you are definitely an Ossie Clark type!

Guest westtender

I had to be huckled away from the statue by a chum because I was convulsing with laughter.

How terribly nice for you. The man believes, (with as far as he is concerned valid reasons) that his son was murdered, and he has f*ck all chance of ever being heard or taken seriously. Chuckle away.

I still have a can of BIBA baked beans somewhere, although I think I got to go to it late in its life.

I bought that dark purple lipstick and eyshadow when my Dad saw me wearing he said: "Jeez, you look like you've been dead for a week."

Once spent all my savings on an Ossie Clark blouse.

Now Pat, you are definitely an Ossie Clark type!

Not at all, all that floaty stuff doesn't appeal to me. However, I really loved my Biba military style mini coat.

Guest Kelvin Groove

Not at all, all that floaty stuff doesn't appeal to me. However, I really loved my Biba military style mini coat.

Tight edwardian 7inch cuffs with satin covered buttons and loop ties. Leg of lamb sleeves. A mandarin collar. And fitted into the waist. Oyster silk and satin.

It was anything but floaty!

Tight edwardian 7inch cuffs with satin covered buttons and loop ties. Leg of lamb sleeves. A mandarin collar. And fitted into the waist. Oyster silk and satin.

It was anything but floaty!

Sounds lovely but doubt I could carry off the satins and silks. I kind of missed Ossie Clark in the swinging sixties but strangely enough came across a few items with that label in a smashing wee shop that used to be on Queen Margaret Drive. It was called 'Hopes and Promises' - enjoyed a wee wander up there when I was at Uni late 70's and early 80's.

I'd love to hear about people's favourite outfits and photographic evidence would be marvellous. Kipper ties and mullets, gentlemen? Hot pants and knee high boots, lassies?

:blink:

Guest Kelvin Groove

I've heard great things about that shop Pat.

As for the fashions.

Great idea.

Perhaps you should be sent the photos and before you post them cut the heads of any photos from the 1970s to protect the guilty.

:lol:

I've heard great things about that shop Pat.

As for the fashions.

Great idea.

Perhaps you should be sent the photos and before you post them cut the heads of any photos from the 1970s to protect the guilty.

:D

Aye, you know you can trust me - no career as a blackmailer looming ahead.

:lol:

Sounds lovely but doubt I could carry off the satins and silks. I kind of missed Ossie Clark in the swinging sixties but strangely enough came across a few items with that label in a smashing wee shop that used to be on Queen Margaret Drive. It was called 'Hopes and Promises' - enjoyed a wee wander up there when I was at Uni late 70's and early 80's.

I'd love to hear about people's favourite outfits and photographic evidence would be marvellous. Kipper ties and mullets, gentlemen? Hot pants and knee high boots, lassies?

Remember Hopes and Promises very well, Pat. Hopes I think was the first shop circa 1975(?) and Promises opened up a few doors down not much later. Could be failing synapses here but I think they were separate shops originally? Someone'll remember... :lol:

Them and Bus Stop in Union St that stocked Biba. There was also Aquarius in Byres in the mid-late 70s, a basement roughly where some travel agent is now, near Clarks Shoe shop and the posh opticians on the corner of Roxburgh St.

And of course Laura Ashley (clothes only, this was before they went into home furnishing etc) where Blockbuster on Byres is now.

And all manner of independent wee boutiques down Byres that sold afghan coats, clogs, starry print loon pants, and every conceivable colour combination of cheesecloth shirts.

Plus wee cosmetic booths wi patchouli and musk oil and black/blue/green/glitter nail polish. I had a Saturday job age 16 in the one next to where Whistler's Mother is now, it was owned by Alan Fullager.

One of PWE's funniest threads ever was on the 70s fashion topic, a few years back now.

JJ, HH and Ron's contributions to that were legendary. I'm away to see if I can find it.... :lol:

Just what yer average Thistle player wore on Saturdays back in the day, eh?

Guest westtender

One of PWE's funniest threads ever was on the 70s fashion topic, a few years back now.

JJ, HH and Ron's contributions to that were legendary. I'm away to see if I can find it.... :lol:

I have found one that... somebody <coff> started, back in the ancient past, and on the topic of ...eek... Ponchos!! (horrifically enough, high fashion at the time) - with artoo extolling the benefits of the decidedly not fashionable British Army cape, especially when it is pishing of rain

http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/yabbse/ind...t=0&start=0

Guest Kelvin Groove

Just what yer average Thistle player wore on Saturdays back in the day, eh?

You are mistaken, I believe their blouses were a rather fetching shade of rose pink, worn tucked into grey serge culottes.

Do round tables have any advantages over square or rectangular tables?

And vice versa.

Are oval tables a compromise or do they have their own particular advantages?

Some people prefer The Rotary to The Round Table

Do round tables have any advantages over square or rectangular tables?

And vice versa.

Are oval tables a compromise or do they have their own particular advantages?

Their advantage is that no one is at the head of said table.

When I was a child, my grandfather sat at the head of the table and my grandmother sat at the other end. The trouble makers always sat next to grandmer. I always sat by my grandfather (of course).