Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two entire days, but the imac now has a 10.4 tiger operating system. I needed tae dae the upgrade soas i can upgrade the firefox browser. I did the upgrade of the browser but had tae cancel because it (the mule heidid machine) wants tae ken whaur i want it tae go.....i have already sent a request to a darlin mod who is an expert on the whys and wherefors of the mac.

tam

This is unbelievable:

I sent a PM tae a techy whiz...did a wee post....phoned the grandson, who didnae have an answer, and when i returned tae the computer....firefox 3.1.. telt me tae click for the download....i did and it installed itself.

Am quite sure this was made possible by wur mod who is a tech whiz.

tam

retro voices, I luv em

We've got a gender division of labour - I do the people person thing and listen to the voice mail and Jim does the techie stuff and deletes them. :lol

From Today's SMH Col8

'I recently bought a frypan from A**** which comes with a 10-year warranty,'' reports James Davidson, of Dulwich Hill. ''It is explained that this does not cover either the non-stick surface or glass lid, and 'excludes damage due to misuse or abuse, such as improper cleaning, overheating, use of caustic or other unapproved cleaners, neglect, accident, alteration, fire, theft or use in commercial establishments'. So that's all right, then. Everything should be fine so long as I don't actually use it.''
Guest westtender

Apologies for not traipsing back through 95 pages of posts.

:D :D :D

Richard Curtis is a hellish weary *nglish willie, middle class, clueless liberal and I cannae stand him....but OMG I would follow the (possibly in reality even more clueless, but we'll never know because he's much smarter than Curtis) Bill Nighy to the ends of the earth.

The guy is just great. Mr Charisma.

Mr-Somehow-the-fact-that-he-is-awfy-*nglish-disnae matter; he's just great. Despite the 'right on'-ness of this tiresome ad.

Today i put a spade intae the earth:

Am gonnae dae a wee bitty gardin and the spade went doon aboot six inches withoot much effort oan my part; feels guid. A few mair digs and am thinkin, let's get some string and try for a straight furrow. A stick markin each end and am lookin at a relatively straight line, mibee forty feet. Two digs at each end, perpendicular tae the line. The morra am daein the first turn.....it's grassy at the moment but guid black earth....mibee no sandy enough for tatties but am daein a row oanyway, seein as the tatts are awready gone tae seed and are cut in section we two eyes, minimum, oan each piece. Tatties are noo layin in a near empty sand box and enjoyin the sun.

Tomatoes and green peppers am gonnae buy as baby plants; mibee next year ay can start some seeds early oan....guid warm basement here so the seeds should work fine. Ah ken that the professionals are sayin "make sure you use certified seed potatoes" and mibee ay shuid but no this year...ah jist want tae see if the earth is a life giving as it looks.

Absolutely amazed at the size of the walnut trees, always thought walnuts grew oan bushes. Am guessin the trees are eighty feet high and am telt that the walnuts wull be in abundance.

Tomorrow is bridge day, which ay dae look forward tae.

tam

PS if oanybody has a frisky auld granny, gie us a shout, lots of room.

PPS if she plays bridge ye can tell her ay wull take her oot, at least twice a week.

Am gonnae dae a wee bitty gardin and the spade went doon aboot six inches withoot much effort oan my part; feels guid. A few mair digs and am thinkin, let's get some string and try for a straight furrow. A stick markin each end and am lookin at a relatively straight line, mibee forty feet. Two digs at each end, perpendicular tae the line. The morra am daein the first turn.....it's grassy at the moment but guid black earth....mibee no sandy enough for tatties but am daein a row oanyway, seein as the tatts are awready gone tae seed and are cut in section we two eyes, minimum, oan each piece. Tatties are noo layin in a near empty sand box and enjoyin the sun.

Tomatoes and green peppers am gonnae buy as baby plants; mibee next year ay can start some seeds early oan....guid warm basement here so the seeds should work fine. Ah ken that the professionals are sayin "make sure you use certified seed potatoes" and mibee ay shuid but no this year...ah jist want tae see if the earth is a life giving as it looks.

Absolutely amazed at the size of the walnut trees, always thought walnuts grew oan bushes. Am guessin the trees are eighty feet high and am telt that the walnuts wull be in abundance.

tam

PPS if she plays bridge ye can tell her ay wull take her oot, at least twice a week.

Maybe we need a wee gardening thread again, tam. Jim planted our onions yesterday and some garlic. Spuds will be next.

Doesn't seem so long ago since you turned the earth at our allotment. :huh:

Guest westtender

tam

I am somehow reminded of this....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Broons-Book-Gairde...s/dp/1902407989

You should get yourself a copy, tam.

(Hmm. My copy of this has a different cover)

Ps: Walnut is and always has been :huh: a very beautiful & expensive hardwood. You know this, I'm sure. What on earth made you think walnut was a bush??

Well, as you are all preparing for spring we, of course, spent a beautiful easter weekend getting our garden tidied up for autumn - we have cut back and pruned all the plants that have finished flowering and have a huge pile of green waste ready to be burned off now that we are allowed to as the fire bans are finished. We planted some lovely maples and jasmine and also a couple of cherry blossom trees. The doggies helped me with the weeding by thoughtfully laying on the patch I wanted to do and by licking me on the face every now and then to keep me cool :huh:

The Broons: if memory serves, they were the first family of the "Sunday Post". And was "Oor Wullie" the Sunday Post annaw ?

No idea why I thought the walnut came frae a bush. Many, many years ago i listened to a CBC radio broadcast regarding the extinction of the "Passenger Pidgeon". The commentator spoke at length about the loss of the hardwood trees on the eastern seaboard of North America, Oak and Walnut did supply much of the food which was needed to support so many birds: why i never related the tree to the nut is far beyond me....easy tae say am a bit slow noo but the broadcast was when i was a bit younger, mibee as young as Westie.

tam

There's a Westie in toon and he is named "Charlie"......he never fails tae pit me in a guid mood........A week past and the couple thit walk Charlie and the wee lassie dug, "Fluffy" wur a half block in front of me. I closed tae within twenty yards and said, "mornin Charlie" and he stopped deid in his tracks, turned and the tail was waggin guid style....he widnae move till i petted him and received a cheek lickin in return....awfy difficult tae feel sorry for yursel when ye get that sort of affection.

And the son says tae me the day, "are you thinkin of getting another dog" ? and no am no....no fair tae the dug and am no guid when they die.

Guest westtender

The Broons: if memory serves, they were the first family of the "Sunday Post". And was "Oor Wullie" the Sunday Post annaw ?

They sure were, and are, tam.... tho these days, the comic strips are a travesty of their former glory.

Every year at xmas time, the Broons and Oor Wullie annuals come out, Broons one year, Oor Wullie the next, and every hoose in Scotland got a copy somewhere in the xmas doins. But the yearly annulas now are just rubbish, as I say a travesty. About 10 years ago however, someone at DC Thompson had a brainwave, and gathered together all the vintage strips and put them out as glossy, well-packaged reissues. Big hardback books, all themed.... strips from The Early Years, The Classic Years, the Golden Age, A Nation's Favourites, 70 years Young (yep, they've been going that long!)etc etc.

So although the present day annuals are still being issued, these reisues of the old stuff come out every year as well, and the new stuff is still sitting on the bookstore shelves, untouched. The new strips are rubbish. There is no point in trying to modernise these inherently anachronistic characters, which is of course what some fool has decided has to happen.

There's a Westie in toon and he is named "Charlie"......he never fails tae pit me in a guid mood........A week past and the couple thit walk Charlie and the wee lassie dug, "Fluffy" wur a half block in front of me. I closed tae within twenty yards and said, "mornin Charlie" and he stopped deid in his tracks, turned and the tail was waggin guid style....he widnae move till i petted him and received a cheek lickin in return....awfy difficult tae feel sorry for yursel when ye get that sort of affection.

And the son says tae me the day, "are you thinkin of getting another dog" ? and no am no....no fair tae the dug and am no guid when they die.

Is there not a dog rescue centre somewhere nearby, that could use volunteers?

Or you could try going in for dog walking.... there's a guy who's regularly in the park here walking lots of other folks' dugs. He gave up the 9 to 5 in the city to do it! and he's making a decent living.

Or offer your house for dog sitting. Plenty of folk go away on holidays etc who don't want to put their dogs in kennels; they'd prefer that their dog had his home comforts and was with a person who likes dogs. You could take in dogs as boarders.

Well, as you are all preparing for spring we, of course, spent a beautiful easter weekend getting our garden tidied up for autumn - we have cut back and pruned all the plants that have finished flowering and have a huge pile of green waste ready to be burned off now that we are allowed to as the fire bans are finished. We planted some lovely maples and jasmine and also a couple of cherry blossom trees. The doggies helped me with the weeding by thoughtfully laying on the patch I wanted to do and by licking me on the face every now and then to keep me cool :huh:

Yeah & the nichts are ferr drawin in derk by 6pm now.

I saw on Google earth a Cherry Blossom tree we had planted in our garden at Bishopbriggs .... still there after all this time

Last night was a clogging night:

I usually get there for six and Cliff, the man thit teaches, gies extra instruction tae mahsel because am no near as competent as the ithurs. He says tae me, "before I forget, next week we are going to the "Villages": the "Villages" being a retirement community.

Noo i was a bit surprised and said, "would it no be wiser jist tae tak the ones thit can dance", and he says, "no, no, we all go, it is a night of fun, you will have a great time, you do the dances you know and sit out when you feel like it".....am goin. I did wonder aboot claithes cause i havnae a decent pair of troosers, ceptin jeans but he telt me no tae worry.

The rain was fair stoatin off the road, this mornin. Still gettin the odd sprinkle but it was pedicted and it isnae cold.

Spent a half oor yesterday and am gonnae pit the tatties in, this weekend: looked at them in the sand box and the cuts are healin nicely, calloused on maist of them.

Cannae wait for the garage sales because am gonnae get a bike. Am NO gettin a dug....miss the wife's dug but enough guid memories of dugs tae last...and besides, there's lots of really friendly dugs in this wee toon.....am supposed tae be makin a list for a wee article for the local paper but am always forgettin tae bring either the pen or the note book.

tam

Or offer your house for dog sitting. Plenty of folk go away on holidays etcwho don't want to put their dogs in kennels; they'd prefer that their dog had his home comforts and was with a person who likes dogs. You could take in dogs as boarders.

Gay dogs need not apply? :lol: