Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

Guest westtender

LG would you mind telling a poor Colonial where the hell your pics are (Dont bloody say look above) I mean where were they taken.

I'll have a go!

Lighthouse: I reckon is Toward lighthouse, near Dunoon

Bridge: the bridge into Inverary

Wattirry scene: A Loch. Lomond? :( If it's Lomond, it's lookin south

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll have a go!

Lighthouse: I reckon is Toward lighthouse, near Dunoon

Bridge: the bridge into Inverary

Wattirry scene: A Loch. Lomond? :( If it's Lomond, it's lookin south

Ta Westtie

I thought bridge may have been at South end of Loch Shiel near Acharacle but you are more likely to be right than me

Guest westtender

Ta Westtie

I thought bridge may have been at South end of Loch Shiel near Acharacle but you are more likely to be right than me

Naw, definitely Inverary.

And I could be wrong but I don't think it's anything to do with Wade; his roads are all well into the mainland and not in the Kintyre peninsula (and anyway them bliddy Campbells were ever the sothron King's men and didnae need 'pacifyin')

I'll have a go!

Lighthouse: I reckon is Toward lighthouse, near Dunoon Correctomundo !

Bridge: the bridge into Inverary Correctomundo !

Wattirry scene: A Loch. Lomond? :( If it's Lomond, it's lookin south Noncorrectomundo !

The last one is (technically) the Atlantic ocean. Taken from the Bridge over the Atlantic (Clachan Bridge) A fantastic place to visit - hell of a blustery day that one - blew me straight into the pub ! (Oh dear what a shame, poor me)

:lol:

....too many landlocked shithole cities.

......Most English accents bug the hell out of me as well when I'm surrounded by them, and I cannae help that. I love the sights and sounds, and the light, and the cut of peoples' jibs, that are only to be seen and heard and experienced in my ain country. I couldn't contemplate living anywhere else. Scotland's west coast is my home.

and beautiful cities like York/Truro/Bath/Rochester etc etc

I worked out how many years I've lived in Scotland and how many in England and it works out about even - slight "advantage" to Glasgow :( as far as people go - no contest whether it's roots or just choice when I get among my own I can relax enjoy myself the conversation flows - no gaps - no slack-jawed hesitation just good humour and patter. However :huh: there can be "too much in your face" opinionated, slight agression which I didn't find in England - in general.

The last one is (technically) the Atlantic ocean. Taken from the Bridge over the Atlantic (Clachan Bridge) A fantastic place to visit - hell of a blustery day that one - blew me straight into the pub ! (Oh dear what a shame, poor me)

Ta. We have these winds too!

Guest westtender

However :lol: there can be "too much in your face" opinionated, slight agression which I didn't find in England - in general.

Can't think what you could possibly mean!! ;)

I love that in us: here's tae us, wha's like us. Wha daur meddle wi' me!

and beautiful cities like York/Truro/Bath/Rochester etc etc

I worked out how many years I've lived in Scotland and how many in England and it works out about even - slight "advantage" to Glasgow :lol: as far as people go - no contest whether it's roots or just choice when I get among my own I can relax enjoy myself the conversation flows - no gaps - no slack-jawed hesitation just good humour and patter. However ;) there can be "too much in your face" opinionated, slight agression which I didn't find in England - in general.

The 'slight' aggression isn't a problem for me, IonaW. It's out and out rudeness and cheek I can't abide and unfortunately you can run into that just about anywhere.

I've not had your wide experience of living in different cities but I enjoyed living in London, although, I probably didn't meet too many Londoners. Most of our friends were Scottish, Irish and Australian.

However, have spent quite a lot of time in Donegal and I think the craic is usually very good and lots of friendly people. It certainly helps if you have some connection as there can be some suspicion of strangers.

In general I think that country people behave differently from city folks. It's hard to form an opinion of the natives of your own city but very often visitors have told me that they can't believe how friendly the people in Glasgow are so I reckon there's something in this.

Guest westtender

Whereas the Scottish ones aren't landlocked. :lol:

The main cities are all close to and / or connected to water. Nor are they quite as godforsaken and grim as many of the former industrial shithole cities in England.

The difference say between the Lake District and Scotland? I love Yorkshire/York/ Chilterns/Cotswolds/Wiltshire - pretty Postman Pat villages and most of all the South coast.

I think I see your point, but sometimes "pretty" can be just a wee bit too "chocolate box-y", if you see what I mean. Not always, of course, but sometimes you do want a bit of austere, cold and imposing. And even grey. (All together now, "sing if you're glad to be grey, sing if you're happy that way ...") :)

I took this pic of St Ives (apologies for the margin - I scanned it and don't know how to get rid of it) :P

1424h0z.jpg

When I took it into get printed girl thought it was the Caribbean.

Haha, that reminds me of the time when a Scottish scene was used in a brochure for Thailand. Aye, not the Caribbean, but it amused me just the same.

... A photograph of a Hebridean beach is being used to promote holidays in Thailand, it has emerged.

The Thai tourist industry is passing off a picture of West Beach on the Isle of Berneray as one of their own destinations, Kai Bae beach.

The shot shows brilliant almost white sands, azure seas and distant mountains which may be similar to Thailand.

Several clues reveal the view is in fact the Sound of Harris such as lack of mangrove swamps and coconut trees.

The image is thought to have been lifted off the internet to save someone the effort of travelling to Kai Bae beach to take a fresh picture.

From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highla...nds/8413627.stm

Made me laugh anyway. :lol:

There was a UK kids eries on TV about a bunch of kids stranded on a deserted Island "Dark Island ????" or somesuch. Their beach was at the end of the runway at Benbecula airport/ golf course

There was a UK kids eries on TV about a bunch of kids stranded on a deserted Island "Dark Island ????" or somesuch. Their beach was at the end of the runway at Benbecula airport/ golf course

Yes, and the song/tune was by David Silver, I think. I was a bit too young to be following things on telly then*, but it sounds as though it might be fun to look at some time if it still exists somewhere. I seem to recall that there were some people who thought this a trad song, but it was actually made for the telly thing.

* well, I might have been in the same house as a telly, but my musical appreciation in that year would have been along the lines off "goo goo, ga ga".

Not that I'm much more sophisticated these days, come tae think on it. :P

Yes, and the song/tune was by David Silver, I think. I was a bit too young to be following things on telly then*, but it sounds as though it might be fun to look at some time if it still exists somewhere. I seem to recall that there were some people who thought this a trad song, but it was actually made for the telly thing.

* well, I might have been in the same house as a telly, but my musical appreciation in that year would have been along the lines off "goo goo, ga ga".

Not that I'm much more sophisticated these days, come tae think on it. :lol:

:P I bet you've moved on to 'da doo run run'.

Can't think what you could possibly mean!! :P

I love that in us: here's tae us, wha's like us. Wha daur meddle wi' me!

Nonsense. Arrant bliddy nonsense.

What I love in a Scot is quiet, assured confidence, not some aggressive, arrogant viewpoint that people throughout the world would mock us for--- and stereotype us by the lowest common denominator, see you Jimmy styleee.

IMHO, there's a lot to be said for doing a fair bit of travel beyond our borders (and I don't mean highrise resorts where you get everything British on demand) and setting our very strong pride in our country in a wider perspective within different cultures.

The rest of the world aren't our enemies (or our inferiors), although it would seem some might think so, given their fanatical zeal. In fact, in my experience, Scots are warmly welcomed the world over---so long as they don't go in all defensive with all guns blazing. That's the stuff of caricature and does none of us any favours.

So: not fabulous tits and an enchanting smile then?

The devil made me do it the first time, the next I did it for myself..

I thought you were English, LG. :P