Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pat, the photaes disappearnace earns an "Och":

I though it a very good photae, maks the nostalgia gallop intae a body. See thon HH, he taks no a bad photae, thais brownie's last forever.

tam

I'm afraid we've lost the lovely photo, tam, that was the copyright warning written across it. Tut! tut!, HH.

Pat, I'm not really keeping up on this one, did you pull the photo (of whatever it was) or did the Mitchell request you to do so? If it was the former then tut tut to you too. If it was the latter then flip them, I'm sick to death of organisations withholding the photographic records of our history that really belong to the people & places captured in those same photographs. flip SCRAN too, btw.

First look I thought it might be Dumbarton Road, Partick looking west at the corner of Peel St but I think you're right.

Can't figure the railway bridge (? ) in the background though, if that's Saltmarket/High St crossing Argyle. Wondering if maybe an old goods train line down from High St through over the lines that're still there at King St/Paddys area?

Anyone know?

Guest westtender

First look I thought it might be Dumbarton Road, Partick looking west at the corner of Peel St but I think you're right.

Can't figure the railway bridge (? ) in the background though, if that's Saltmarket/High St crossing Argyle. Wondering if maybe an old goods train line down from High St through over the lines that're still there at King St/Paddys area?

Anyone know?

It is a disused (or rarely used) freight line... the boyf at the nautical college regularly see trains running on it. That bridge is still there.

It is a disused (or rarely used) freight line... the boyf at the nautical college regularly see trains running on it. That bridge is still there.

Bejasus, is it? I've walked that road so many times on the way to and fro the Barrowlands and never noticed it.......<total blush>

I'll away round from the office the morra and have a sneaky peek...... :lol:

Pat, I'm not really keeping up on this one, did you pull the photo (of whatever it was) or did the Mitchell request you to do so? If it was the former then tut tut to you too. If it was the latter then flip them, I'm sick to death of organisations withholding the photographic records of our history that really belong to the people & places captured in those same photographs. flip SCRAN too, btw.

"Please don't take images from other websites and post on this site without prior permission. " 5th October, 2007.

Sorry this is the case, HH. I liked the photograph too. I guess they've got 'The Mitchell' written through the image to remind people that they are serious about copyright.

no no no

St Ives= fun

Ayrshire = bleak

I've never been to St Ives but would love to visit Cornwall some time, IonW.

I've certainly seen Ayrshire bleak but have also seen it beautiful and like Westtie - I love the colours you see in Scotland. Iona is particularly beautiful and I love all those gorgeous paintings in The Hunterian by Francis Cadell. I think it must have been the amazing colours that attracted him - well, he is a Colourist. :lol:

There's loads an loads of Scottish scenery I love - Glencoe, Luss in winter with the smoke coming out the chimneys and walking down to the Loch. The waves crashing against Dunnottar rock - sailing into Castlebay, Barra on a calm sea ;) however the coastline and the fishing villages of Scotland leave me cold - they lack bright warm colour and texture - it's too grey.

Ps I almost forgot - the red sandstone tenements of the West end and the lights and movement inside. Perfect :D

For me best view in Scotland is from Arisaig Golf Course as the sun sets over Eigg & Rhum on a still summer's evening.

The most awe inspiring is waves crashing against ciffs at Duncansby Head in a gale.

There's loads an loads of Scottish scenery I love - Glencoe, Luss in winter with the smoke coming out the chimneys and walking down to the Loch. The waves crashing against Dunnottar rock - sailing into Castlebay, Barra on a calm sea ;) however the coastline and the fishing villages of Scotland leave me cold - they lack bright warm colour and texture - it's too grey.

Ps I almost forgot - the red sandstone tenements of the West end and the lights and movement inside. Perfect :D

We've all got our favourites, IonaW. I love Glencoe as well. I don't think it is the most beautiful place but definitely one of the most atmospheric places I have ever visited.

The coastlines are not always grey. Here's a lovely photograph Jim took in Iona:viewfromiona-4744.jpg

Guest westtender

however the coastline and the fishing villages of Scotland leave me cold - they lack bright warm colour and texture - it's too grey.

On the west coast? Are you kidding?? :D

Yep, they're pretty good as well I have to admit. Specially, also, in the gloaming ;)

We've all got our favourites, IonaW. I love Glencoe as well. I don't think it is the most beautiful place but definitely one of the most atmospheric places I have ever visited.

The coastlines are not always grey. Here's a lovely photograph Jim took in Iona:viewfromiona-4744.jpg

I like the stone - thats beautiful whats it's origins?

There's loads an loads of Scottish scenery I love - Glencoe, Luss in winter with the smoke coming out the chimneys and walking down to the Loch. The waves crashing against Dunnottar rock - sailing into Castlebay, Barra on a calm sea :D however the coastline and the fishing villages of Scotland leave me cold - they lack bright warm colour and texture - it's too grey.

Have you seen Balamory ;)

4384482989_fc98fea7f3.jpg

3433663615_ffb2db4a89_b.jpg

4000423751_c0a4eb69f9_b.jpg

Grey is also available at most outlets...

3850098032_550e7af8da_b.jpg

But I think even that has it's own beauty.

Think we should start a photo thread........

edited bit -

All photos taken by the lone groover are by the lone groover and owned by the lone groover and copyrighted to the lone groover. Any infringement of applicable laws will result in a nocturnal visit from Unpleasant Arthur who is really good with knees - KnoworrImean?

They're great pics LG and I done my bit to promote Scotland when I left for England in the last century. I had a boss once that I convinced should visit Scotland he was one of those nippy mouthed no sense of humour bosses. He came back and I asked him what he thought;

"Well, plenty of hills think there was too many - went to Edinburgh - saw the castle but there's was shops on on the other side of the road - spoilt it." :D

Personally if I was given the choice now in my middle ages, I would choose England over Scotland for choice and type of scenery. Scotland is dramatic but a bit too austere/cold/imposing. The difference say between the Lake District and Scotland? I love Yorkshire/York/ Chilterns/Cotswolds/Wiltshire - pretty Postman Pat villages and most of all the South coast.

I took this pic of St Ives (apologies for the margin - I scanned it and don't know how to get rid of it) ;)

1424h0z.jpg

When I took it into get printed girl thought it was the Caribbean.

Very nice, Iona, very nice indeed:

The photae and the places ye've mentioned would be on many a bodies most favoured list. Nae doot lovely places tae visit but whit ye wrote brought tae mind whit an auld Auntie once said as we wur drivin toward or returnin frae somwhere far north and tae the west of Perth: Hills arroond and trees planted in perfectly unisoned lines: (mair a paraphrase than a quote....bloody Arabs planted thais trees, look at them, like a bloody gardin, Scotland is known for rugged scenery no that bloody tripe. Disnae mean am opposed tae trees, ah love them; a maist favoured spot is Kinnoull Hill, Perth.....sometimes aw the lovlier for a bit of mist or a few draps of rain.

tam

Visited Dorset, as a boy, loved it.

Guest westtender

Personally if I was given the choice now in my middle ages, I would choose England over Scotland for choice and type of scenery. Scotland is dramatic but a bit too austere/cold/imposing.

;)

Oh hen!!

The difference say between the Lake District and Scotland? I love Yorkshire/York/ Chilterns/Cotswolds/Wiltshire - pretty Postman Pat villages and most of all the South coast.

England has no mountains, and way too many landlocked shithole cities.

I was born on exactly the right place on the planet for me. I feel deep and prehistoric things when confronted with Scottish landscapes; they move me immensely.

IMO The Cotswalds and Cornish cliffs and Northumberland coast and Yorkshire moors and Home Counties 'gabled lodges, tile-hung churches' - they're all lovely in their way, but for me, they only get me in a very surface way. They are a foreign country.

Most English accents bug the hell out of me as well when I'm surrounded by them, and I cannae help that. I love the sights and sounds, and the light, and the cut of peoples' jibs, that are only to be seen and heard and experienced in my ain country. I couldn't contemplate living anywhere else. Scotland's west coast is my home.

LG would you mind telling a poor Colonial where the hell your pics are (Dont bloody say look above) I mean where were they taken. look Beautiful spots, is bridge one of Wade's?

000_0460.jpg

Like clouds & light in this one (mid winter)

000_0426.jpg

Pittwater/ Ettalong Ferry ; Barrenjoey Headland & Lion Island in background

partyvenue.jpg

Outback Pub (Birdsville SW Queensland)