Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest westtender

Am really awfy surprised that Westtender was able tae get a photae of mahsel in full uniform: looks like it was taken when the Yankees went back across the Detroit River. I jist hope that DND urnae monitoring this website.

tam

:lol:

& looking resplendent Surr!

Guest westtender

... LG, your pics are fab!! Especially those Electric Partickland. Get them blown up & framed, take them to Nancy Smillie and charge anything you like. You'll get it.

Good, atmospheric shots. Very Glasgow.

... LG, your pics are fab!! Especially those Electric Partickland. Get them blown up & framed, take them to Nancy Smillie and charge anything you like. You'll get it.

Good, atmospheric shots. Very Glasgow.

:lol:

Your pics are fab LG I'm laughing at the Nancy Smillie offer :lol:

Sevril scam e-mails responded tae yisturday, showin a positive innurest. Ah goat two replies thus faur an' huv sent thum the info rekwestit (false info nachurly).

Ah huv noo rekwestit spessifik foties fae baith parties an' wull post thum oan here if they ur dumb enuff tae fa' fur it.

Should trams be back on the streets of Glasgow ... or at least along a few main routes into the city?

Beat-the-traffic form of transport.

Encourage people to use public transport.

A great tourist attraction.

Oh aye get them, thur workin oot well in Embra.............

Should trams be back on the streets of Glasgow ... or at least along a few main routes into the city?

Beat-the-traffic form of transport.

Encourage people to use public transport.

A great tourist attraction.

I couldn 't cope with the lengthy disruption.

I couldn 't cope with the lengthy disruption.

Wouldn't be so disruptive in Glasgow I don't think. The tram rails are all pretty much intact under the tarmac. Strip a few layers down on most of the main routes and bob's yer auntie.

I'd like to see trams back in Glasgow. Clean, efficient, fast; beat the morons that sit in traffic in their single-occupancy cars... why not?

The tram rails are all pretty much intact under the tarmac. Strip a few layers down on most of the main routes and bob's yer auntie.

This statement surprises me. I've seen photos of the tracks being dug up in various parts of the city (Byres Rd. included) What an interesting thought that many miles of track survive below the surface. I'm away to post the question elsewhere. Excellent notion!

From Vinegar Tom:

I previously transcribed this passage from Bill Patersons wonderful memoir:

Chapter 5 of Bill Paterson's new book " Tales from the Back Green" details the destruction of the tram lines:

"But in the end the smokeless zones cleared the fogs and the buses and cars scuppered the trams.Our Corporation scrapped them, sent them to museums and decided to rip up the tracks and that is why the monster was now outside our close.

It turned out to be a tracked vehicle about the same disposition as a Sherman tank. It had a long jib sticking out from the front tipped with a huge steel beak. The beak was only interested in digesting one thing: our tramlines and the big granite cobbles they were set in.

It was raised about twenty feet in the air and then allowed to crash down on to the cobbles with a ghastly teeth shattering kerrang that was probably heard in Sauchiehall Street. The jib then pulled the beak back and a whole section of cobbles and tramlines rose up like a giant jig-saw. It hung there for a few seconds then crashed back to earth and the cobbles would break up. The Troglodytes moved in and cut the rails with their spitting, rasping flares which flashed dazzling light all around the tenement walls. It chewed up the tracks and then moved on. Our street now had a gaping wound running right down its centre. They filled the scar with tarmac, painted white lines down the middle and handed Alexandra Parade over to the motor car."

I'd like to see trams back in Glasgow. Clean, efficient, fast; beat the morons that sit in traffic in their single-occupancy cars... why not?

I never saw trams in Glasgow but they were a pain in the neck (or somewhat lower) here. Unless they are in dedicated tracks they only clog up the roads. Buses are much better. Mind you I am speaking as one of "the morons that sit in traffic in their single-occupancy cars" who needs a car to reach diverse work places fast & efficently & travels at all sorts of odd hours that always seem out of reach or out of hours for public transport. Even when planning to spend a day in the office I could be asked to go somewhere quickly. The last thing I want to be is held up by a bloody tramcar that is picking up passengers in the middle of the road, has come off the rails or broken down. At least buses pull into the side of the road to pick up passengers.

So tae use that well known Glasgow Clippie phrase "CAMOAN GET AFF"

Chapter 5 of Bill Paterson's new book " Tales from the Back Green"...

New?? That book is well over a year old now!! :( He came to Borders to do a signing when the hardback came out and he was one of the nicest people I've ever spent around 3 minutes with :lol:

This statement surprises me. I've seen photos of the tracks being dug up in various parts of the city (Byres Rd. included) What an interesting thought that many miles of track survive below the surface. I'm away to post the question elsewhere. Excellent notion!

Let's know how that query goes, HH?

There's been talk in recent years of reopening the former tram lines down from Maryhill through Kirklee Rd and into Gt Western as well.

We found 2 repeat two complete lots of tramlines, one above the other, buried in the road when we were trying to put in a new sewer at the "Telstar" pub in Yoker I think it was that pub but could have been another job. We did a few pubs.