Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

Scottish advert in todays paper

Click here

Honest thats the way it came up :lol:

a bit about Glasgow

Shell Suits R in

Oz yhe adverts are fine, in fact good. Not a shell suit in sight, I wonder if its your browser picking up your various purchases and setting adverts accordingly. Respect to the Ozman in the Aussie Masif ;)

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oz yhe adverts are fine, in fact good. Not a shell suit in sight, I wonder if its your browser picking up your various purchases and setting adverts accordingly. Respect to the Ozman in the Aussie Masif :lol:

Prob right main intro video came up

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at scotland.waves2.com.

* Check the address for typing errors such as

ww.example.com instead of

www.example.com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure

that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Oz yhe adverts are fine, in fact good. Not a shell suit in sight, ...

I don't think they are fine at all, samsc. I'm not too keen on the adverts. The pages are far, far too busy and certainly not the best photographs. On the Glasgow and Clyde Valley page the photographs on the right hand side are very poor; not only unclear but decidely unrepresentative of our city. I don't know what they were thinking of when they came up with these. Hikers and pipers. Is that no absurd?

It also seems to have a rather dated feel to it. I wouldn't start by pointing to accolades from past decades, how about some recent information like UNESCO City of Music status? Also Kelvingrove cannot really be considered 'newly' reburbished.

Does nobody proof read this stuff? - "was voted as one of the UK’s top shopping destination". Some of the descriptions seem to me to be less than attractive 'slickly progressive' just doesn't do it for me. The sentence structure is pretty sloppy and it would have been thoughtful to include some headings.

I could go on. I'm not impressed by this promotion; if I was marking it as the work of a second year Travel and Tourism student I would be looking for significant improvement with their next effort.

I don't think they are fine at all, samsc. I'm not too keen on the adverts. The pages are far, far too busy and certainly not the best photographs. On the Glasgow and Clyde Valley page the photographs on the right hand side are very poor; not only unclear but decidely unrepresentative of our city. I don't know what they were thinking of when they came up with these. Hikers and pipers. Is that no absurd?

It also seems to have a rather dated feel to it.

I could go on. I'm not impressed by this promotion; if I was marking it as the work of a second year Travel and Tourism student I would be looking for significant improvement with their next effort.

That might be because the link Oz posted is not the current VisitScotland site.

What he's posted is a cached page from a sub-site that's been edited to appeal to a particular audience. Those that would have it that Scotland's all about whisky, hikers and pipes.

Can't wait to hear the detail of how many Australians were tempted to the Homecoming on the back of that crap.

Just a thought.

http://www.visitscotland.com/

;)

That might be because the link Oz posted is not the current VisitScotland site.

What he's posted is a cached page from a sub-site that's been edited to appeal to a particular audience. Those that would have it that Scotland's all about whisky, hikers and pipes.

Mind you, Rolo, they go oan a bit aboot 'culture' and 'style' so they must have thought these held some appeal. What I find particularly worrying is that they appear to be of the opinion that this 'particular audience' gives not a damn about the standard of the writing.

Yeah the advert here is a bit different from yours . The one thing I noticed was that ours had the flags of US. Canada, Australia & NZ on the left side. Needless to say it was the OZ flag that was highlighted.

This would suggest that a slightly different ad for each country.

It also seems to have a rather dated feel to it. I wouldn't start by pointing to accolades from past decades, how about some recent information like UNESCO City of Music status? Also Kelvingrove cannot really be considered 'newly' reburbished.

Does nobody proof read this stuff? - "was voted as one of the UK’s top shopping destination". Some of the descriptions seem to me to be less than attractive 'slickly progressive' just doesn't do it for me. The sentence structure is pretty sloppy ...

Gaudere's law, or Muphry's law if the Australian posters prefer it, strikes again. ;)

I agree that "slickly progressive" sounds quite nasty.

A merdog perhaps???

Cairns-WebUsual-CP19FEB10P005-CC207615-DOG.JPG

You're safe now: Paul Daniel cares for his new companion at his White Rock home after coming across the dog 2km out to sea while on a fishing trip. Picture: MIKE WATT

A DOG found swimming in the ocean about 2km off the north-east coast of Australia has been dubbed a "super pooch" by his rescuers and animal experts.

The Cairns Post reported the male bull terrier cross was plucked from rough seas on Saturday afternoon by two men who were on a day trip to High Island, about 6km off the coast of Fishery Falls, south of Cairns.

The animal was in a poor condition, with cuts along his face, lice through his coat, one testicle and a crooked tail.

Paul Daniel and his mate Steven Pye found the dog as they made their way in a dinghy back to their camping site near the Russell River.

Mr Daniel said he saw a "bobbing object" in the sea which looked like a buoy until he took a closer look.

"We couldn't believe it. We immediately wrapped a towel around him and took him back to the hut for fresh water and food," Mr Daniel said.

"He's still at my house, he was a little bit slow for the first couple of days but he seems good now."

Mystery surrounds how the dog got out to sea and how long he had been in the water before being rescued.

The dog is to be taken to a veterinarian for a microchip scan to see if he has an owner.

If no owner is identified, it is likely he will be put up for adoption.

Read more about the super pooch at sea at the Cairns Post

HSBC:

am thinking that is the halifax. If so, I had an account there and used the B of S. I did fill out a form and my shares were transferred. My understanding then was that I became a member of Lloyds Banking Group; they even sent a fifteen pound cheque which i have recently discovered i still have. today I get an e-mail from HSBC telling me that my account is closed to the internet because someone had, unsuccessfully tried to log on. Can anyone explain what this is all about ?

tam

Be careful. I think HSBC is, well, HSBC, where the letters stood for Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Corporation once upon a time. I don't think it is the HBoS (Halifax Bank of Scotland) thing.

SO, I'm wondering if this is simply a scam/phishing e-mail. Look at the details of the sender, because it might be something extremely dodgy, and it would be best not to click on any links in that email. Yes, people do frequently get emails claiming to relate to a real bank account, and I suppose they can look convincing at first glance. (I *suppose* the idea is that if the scammers send out enough fake e-mails, they will, by the law of averages, hit upon some people who do have accounts with the bank in question.)

Check that e-mail carefully before doing anything that it tells you to do. I have had several, but gmail is good at sending them straight to the spam bin. Such emails tend to tell you that there is some irregularity in the account, or that someone tried to access your account, so that you might be persuaded to hand over your details.

Did the e-mail even address you by name? If, for instance, it addresses you as "dear customer" or similar, then it's all the more likely to be dodgy.

Guest westtender

HSBC:

am thinking that is the halifax. If so, I had an account there and used the B of S. I did fill out a form and my shares were transferred. My understanding then was that I became a member of Lloyds Banking Group; they even sent a fifteen pound cheque which i have recently discovered i still have. today I get an e-mail from HSBC telling me that my account is closed to the internet because someone had, unsuccessfully tried to log on. Can anyone explain what this is all about ?

tam

:o

Tam, turn oan yer ear trumpets

Ear_Trumpet1[2].jpg

cos you need to hear this: the no.1 rule about ANYTHING you receive via email purporting to be from the bank, especially if it is trying to fish ANY info out of you, is IT'S A SCAM.

Don't click on any links within the message, don't reply to the message, don't call any number on the email. IT'S A SCAM.

Have a look at gthe HSBC website, re security:

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/online-security/...25F0Z:12ntf0lqs

Call the bank. They'll confirm that they will never ask you for information over the internet - and DON'T call any number on that email!!!!

Front page of my UK bank's internet banking site says:

"Important information on recent fake email activity

A number of UK banks have recently been targeted by fraudsters using emails to ask customers to enter their security details into a fake website.

We will never send you an email that asks you to verify your security details or link to Internet banking. [their bold] If you receive an email claiming to be from us that you are suspicious about, please forward it to us"

& they then give their 'suspicious emails' address.

Microsoft also provides helpful info:

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/athome/securit...l/phishing.mspx

Can ye hear me???

TAM !

Westie's right, it is a scam.

I got the same one and I don't have an acccount with them.

:lol::o:huh:

I've had hunners from them but don't know what they say because Jimbo has it drummed into me 'if you're not sure what it is then don't open it'. It can be hard at times because I'm nosey.

Be careful. I think HSBC is, well, HSBC, where the letters stood for Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Corporation once upon a time. I don't think it is the HBoS (Halifax Bank of Scotland) thing.

SO, I'm wondering if this is simply a scam/phishing e-mail. Look at the details of the sender, because it might be something extremely dodgy, and it would be best not to click on any links in that email. Yes, people do frequently get emails claiming to relate to a real bank account, and I suppose they can look convincing at first glance. (I *suppose* the idea is that if the scammers send out enough fake e-mails, they will, by the law of averages, hit upon some people who do have accounts with the bank in question.)

Check that e-mail carefully before doing anything that it tells you to do. I have had several, but gmail is good at sending them straight to the spam bin. Such emails tend to tell you that there is some irregularity in the account, or that someone tried to access your account, so that you might be persuaded to hand over your details.

Did the e-mail even address you by name? If, for instance, it addresses you as "dear customer" or similar, then it's all the more likely to be dodgy.

Aye Tam Hammy is correct, HSBC is as she sed it was totally seperate frae HBOS and/or Lloyds. They in fact took over the auld Midland Bank Group which used tae incloode ra Clydesdale Bank which is noo owned by National Australia Group

Aye Tam Hammy is correct, HSBC is as she sed it was totally seperate frae HBOS and/or Lloyds. They in fact took over the auld Midland Bank Group which used tae incloode ra Clydesdale Bank which is noo owned by National Australia Group

Haha, notanimby, I surmise that you also have/had a job that involves/involved filling your head full of boring details of big companies, of dodgy takeovers etc., of capitalism red in tooth and claw. I resent remembering stuff like that when I don't seem able to remember a simple shopping list. :o I want to reformat my head!

Ay Westie,

sometimes i dae hear. Personally i hear everything that the ladies say; mind my interpretation usually isnae quite the same as what was said......mibee some day.

tam

This and That:

cannae see FDR conspiring tae sacrifice half his navy and so many military personnel.

I'm no sure that Flemming didnae model Bond on a number of people who were members of the intelligence community; himself and Stephenson do come tae mind.

Hoover was far too busy tryin tae belittle the Brits tae act on information regardin a Japanese invasion: my guess is that he didnae believe that the Japanese were a real threat.

Watched part of a movie starring Ben Kingsley and Penelope Cruz. A very good love scene featuring Ben and a Blonde woman, mibee her name is Patricia Clarkson. She is probably in her forties and a very good actress, who was brand new tae me. Penelope Cruz is quite atractive but the blonde woman made me wonder why Kingsley wid put his relationship with her, in danger by foolin with Penelope: cuidnae be bothert watchin the movie tae the end.

Saw the Time/Life list of the hundred best novels in the last fifty years: "Exile" didnae make it and neither did a lot of other books thit I thought should have been there.

tam

PS interesting thon conspiricy thing. During the latter part of WW11, Churchill sent a note tae FDR advising that he had changed his mind and wanted FDR tae intercede with Ike regarding the taking of Berlin: Patton and Mongomery were both within striking distance and could have been there before the Russian. FDR wrote that he agreed but didnae make arrangements tae deliver the note; it was found after he died.

PPS i do believe that Churchill had a hand, both feet and his fat erse in the sinking of the Lusitania.

Tiger Woods Beware

A NORTH Queensland golf course has an unusual water hazard with a wayward crocodile taking up residence near the 17th hole.

A golfer spotted the 1.5-metre freshwater crocodile a week ago in a lake which forms part of the par three hole at Willows Golf Resort in Townsville.

"They were walking along and saw it swanning around in the lake and said: "There's a crocodile' and everyone was laughing at them. But we went down later on and sure enough it was," Willows manager Adrian Lawson said.

The reptile has since been spotted several times sunning itself on the banks of the lake and signs have been erected to warn players.

But no one has been put off their game so far.

"North Queenslanders don't bat an eyelid at this kind of thing. It's quite a normal occurrence," Mr Lawson said.

Mr Lawson said it was the third time in four years a crocodile had ventured into the lake from a nearby river.

However, he said, they generally avoided human contact and moved on as the wet season passed.

"Most likely, without it causing any trouble, it will just go back to its natural environment of its own accord," he said.