Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was at the hospital for my eye check up. I needed treatment for stress after being in the waiting area. It was absolutly choca, nearly every chair taken and people standing, however you till had the coat on the chair culprits, who had to be asked to remove their coat so someone could sit down. Then the 6 year old who took great delithg in his nose and then eating the contents, next to me the manic texter, instead of putting his phone on silent, all you could hear was the constant bleep bleep every time he hit a button, unfortunately he seemed to be texting a book. The sniffer in front of me, who I felt like handing a hankie too, someone speaking in another language on their mobile very loudly and of course a couple of little monsters running rings round the chairs, while their mother seemed oblivious of them. Aghhhhhh

Was at the hospital for my eye check up. I needed treatment for stress after being in the waiting area. It was absolutly choca, nearly every chair taken and people standing, however you till had the coat on the chair culprits, who had to be asked to remove their coat so someone could sit down. Then the 6 year old who took great delithg in his nose and then eating the contents, next to me the manic texter, instead of putting his phone on silent, all you could hear was the constant bleep bleep every time he hit a button, unfortunately he seemed to be texting a book. The sniffer in front of me, who I felt like handing a hankie too, someone speaking in another language on their mobile very loudly and of course a couple of little monsters running rings round the chairs, while their mother seemed oblivious of them. Aghhhhhh

Poor you

They were obviously not ill enough

Mick Green, 1944-20106:15 PM GMT 11/01/2010

Farewell to the stiletto guitarist who lit a fire under British rock'n'roll.

MICK GREEN, FORMERLY the guitar player with Johnny Kidd & The Pirates (Green is far right) and latterly sideman to the stars, has died, aged 66.

The early years of British rock'n'roll were not overburdened with authentic tear-arse guitarists. Joe Brown was one; Green was the other, and although he joined Kidd in 1962, after the latter's defining hit, Shakin' All Over, he ensured that beneath the Pirates' pantomine privateer schtick there was always proper musical ballast. The glowering lead line and serrated slashes that stalk Kidd's vocal in 1964's Number 4 hit I'll Never Get Over You, were typical, and the group's cover of Piano Red's Doctor Feelgood minted a snarling sound that would inspire the Canvey band of that name.

In the '70s, as the main attraction in the now Kidd-less Pirates, he held a torch for blistering R&B, and with gutbucket mores back in fashion later in the decade, he held his own with the pub'n'punk crowd , trading blows with The Stranglers, Wilko Johnson, The Saints and others at 1977's Front Row Festival, a three-week run of shows at Islington's infamous punk pub, The Hope & Anchor.

More recently, Green lent licks to Paul McCartney's on the Beatle's r'n'r revivalist Run Devil Run album (1999), played on Bryan Ferry's Frantic (2002) and underwent a saintly stint under the Van Morrison cosh, enlivening Van's 2008 album, Keep It Simple. Meanwhile, the most recent generation of garage rock converts continued to seek his patronage.

His son Brad Green, writing on his father's web site, released the following statement...

"It is with the greatest of sorrow that I have to inform you all that my father, Mick Green, has this morning (11th Jan 2010) passed away. My dad will be deeply missed by his family, friends and fans all around the world. He inspired and dazzled with his amazing talent and his sharp personality and wit. His spirit and his music will continue to live on through his music. Thank you all for your support and thoughts."

Buggery bollox

That has mucked up my month. :blink:

From my old favourite SMH Column8

''Peter Beales's recent contribution on matters military reminded me of similar reports circulating during my time in the Royal Navy,'' writes Tim Bowra, of Rozelle, ''including 'The more I see of this West Country officer, the more reassured I am that the Three Wise Men came from the East.' Also 'I am firmly of the belief that the men under this officer's command will follow him anywhere; usually, I suspect, out of curiosity', and finally 'During this reporting period this officer's performance has been of a high standard. He has conducted himself entirely to his own satisfaction.' ''

Another Scottish Record!!!!

Scots named as booziest Britons

Posted 24 minutes ago

New research suggests that adults in Scotland drink 25 per cent more alcohol than those in the rest of Britain.

Research by the Scottish health service shows that consumption averaged just over 12 litres of pure alcohol per person last year - equivalent to more than 40 700ml bottles of vodka, whisky or equivalent spirits.

The Scottish government is trying to impose a minimum price for alcohol and Scotland's Public Health Minister Shona Robinson has appealed for support from all parties.

"This is a wake-up call," she said.

"Public health is far more important than party politics. Minimum pricing isn't the magic bullet, but it is the solution that it is backed by the vast majority of all health organisations, the doctors, the nurses, the police.

"This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to do something about the relationship with alcohol."

Tags: alcohol, united-kingdom, scotland

Another Scottish Record!!!!

Scots booziest Britons. Certainly been a bit of a stereotype for a long time. I'm not sure how the research is conducted. The number of pubs closing down made me wonder if there was less drinking going on with some people. Maybe there is more drinking at home?

I don't know if people tell the truth when questioned by their doctors about how much they drink? Perhaps the information is provided by the drink companies?

No idea, was in ABC news & caught my eye

Can't see it, Oz, but about a year ago a government supported study (BBC online news) showed Scotland as having the eighth-highest level of alcohol consumption in the world. This was linked to the availability of cheap alcohol.

BBC Scotland claimed that alcohol-related cases had overtaken heart disease as a reason for hospital admissions. "Figures from the Office of National Statistics indicate that alcohol is nearly 70% more affordable now than in 1980

"

Scotland came in eighth positions behind Luxembourg, Ireland, Hungary, Moldova, Czech Republic , Croatia and Germany.

But it put Scotland ahead of Russia - where alcohol-related deaths have cut the average life expectancy for men to 59.

All 17 of Scotland's public health chiefs have called on politicians to back a minimum price for alcohol.BBC news scoltand - health chiefs in booz price plea

"One person in Scotland is dying every three hours of every day as a direct result of alcohol, many of them prematurely.

Although seems that smoking ban has caused a reduction in drinking among smokers!

No idea, was in ABC news & caught my eye

BBC Scotland today;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8463333.stm

Have to say I was a bit confused by thon. I can't see how 46 bottles of spirits a year equates to 537 pints.... or 130 bottles of wine. I'm not sure they (whoever THEY are) are comparing like with like here. Spirits are FAR more damaging than beers and wines.

537 pints a year equates to what, about 10 pints a week and a few extra on big nights? Shirley that's still less than the guideline maximum of 28 units for men?

130 bottles a year of wine? That's what; two and a half bottles per week? If a strong red, that'd be 25 units, and a lot less for white and rose. Hardly dangerous drinking levels.

Problem is not the moderate drinkers amongst us. In fact, there's evidence that those who enjoy a couple of glasses of red of an evening are actually healthier than those who abstain.

To my way of thinking the problem's with binge drinkers who just neck anything and everything to get totally out of it, that's not an appreciation of fine alcohol, that's just madness. It's that mindset that needs challenged, not price increases for the vast majority of people who enjoy alcohol sensibly.

Well a sitting, elected person having a young one on the side is meat and bread over here. It's usually men, though. Unfortunately there is a rash of school teachers (female) having sex with 13 and fourteen year old boys. If it were male teachers doing that, they would be gutted and hung, or hung and gutted. Femailes are really receiving a slap on the wrist, comparatively speaking.

BBC Scotland today;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8463333.stm

Have to say I was a bit confused by thon. I can't see how 46 bottles of spirits a year equates to 537 pints.... or 130 bottles of wine. I'm not sure they (whoever THEY are) are comparing like with like here. Spirits are FAR more damaging than beers and wines.

537 pints a year equates to what, about 10 pints a week and a few extra on big nights? Shirley that's still less than the guideline maximum of 28 units for men?

130 bottles a year of wine? That's what; two and a half bottles per week? If a strong red, that'd be 25 units, and a lot less for white and rose. Hardly dangerous drinking levels.

Problem is not the moderate drinkers amongst us. In fact, there's evidence that those who enjoy a couple of glasses of red of an evening are actually healthier than those who abstain.

To my way of thinking the problem's with binge drinkers who just neck anything and everything to get totally out of it, that's not an appreciation of fine alcohol, that's just madness. It's that mindset that needs challenged, not price increases for the vast majority of people who enjoy alcohol sensibly.

If you're hardly drinking anything then you're not going to be too much out of pocket if the price goes up but if you drink a lot then there is a greater chance that you will have to cut back. That makes sense to me - a binge may be economically out of the question.

Not to say that a cultural change regarding alcohol consumption would not be a good thing but how would that be achieved?

Well a sitting, elected person having a young one on the side is meat and bread over here. It's usually men, though. Unfortunately there is a rash of school teachers (female) having sex with 13 and fourteen year old boys. If it were male teachers doing that, they would be gutted and hung, or hung and gutted. Femailes are really receiving a slap on the wrist, comparatively speaking.

Do the teachers not lose their jobs, peony? I think they would be out on their neck - no matter their gender. They are in a position of trust and this sort of behaviour is also illegal so they would be hauled through the courts.

I don't think upping the price of drink will make any difference at all, other than to increase the tax coffers. For the tiny minority who are alcoholics they'll do ANYTHING for their daily fix, no matter whether their poison of choice is £2 or £5. I personally think the more you raise the price of drink the more desperate that minority will become, maybe even a rise in petty crime to pay for the habit, like smack.

But let's remember that the vast majority of people in Scotland are NOT alcoholics. And not addicted. Let's not use a sledgehammer to crack a nut....did Prohibition work back in the 20s? I think NOT.

The weekend binge drinking culture amongst the young is SO endemic in the whole of the UKE now that an extra tenner or so on a night out is hardly likely to become a barrier. Raise prices in supermarkets etc, well I don't think that's gonna deter either. Probably just lead to a rise in shoplifting....

The way I see it is that we have a major cultural problem. We should maybe start by considering exactly WHY so many kids are going out drinking to such excess. Why do they need dutch courage? Why do they feel so bad about themselves that their only route to confidence, self-assertion and attitude is via 10 shorts of a Friday night?

Every single one of our generation, yes I mean US--- has wittingly or unwittingly contributed to a society that sadly seems to value status, wealth, looks and possessions over all else.

It's hardly any wonder kids who feel they've fallen short of such tawdry expectations get off their faces as a brief escape.

Looking to solve such a very basic problem by knee-jerking price increases is so short of the mark, it's beyond belief.

<rant over.. for now> :lol: The whole issue's probably worthy of a new thread....

I don't think upping the price of drink will make any difference at all, other than to increase the tax coffers. For the tiny minority who are alcoholics they'll do ANYTHING for their daily fix, no matter whether their poison of choice is £2 or £5. I personally think the more you raise the price of drink the more desperate that minority will become, maybe even a rise in petty crime to pay for the habit, like smack.

But let's remember that the vast majority of people in Scotland are NOT alcoholics. And not addicted. Let's not use a sledgehammer to crack a nut....did Prohibition work back in the 20s? I think NOT.

The weekend binge drinking culture amongst the young is SO endemic in the whole of the UKE now that an extra tenner or so on a night out is hardly likely to become a barrier. Raise prices in supermarkets etc, well I don't think that's gonna deter either. Probably just lead to a rise in shoplifting....

The way I see it is that we have a major cultural problem. We should maybe start by considering exactly WHY so many kids are going out drinking to such excess. Why do they need dutch courage? Why do they feel so bad about themselves that their only route to confidence, self-assertion and attitude is via 10 shorts of a Friday night?

Every single one of our generation, yes I mean US--- has wittingly or unwittingly contributed to a society that sadly seems to value status, wealth, looks and possessions over all else.

It's hardly any wonder kids who feel they've fallen short of such tawdry expectations get off their faces as a brief escape.

Looking to solve such a very basic problem by knee-jerking price increases is so short of the mark, it's beyond belief.

<rant over.. for now> :lol: The whole issue's probably worthy of a new thread....

Rolo,

There is certainly a link between health problems and alcohol abuse - this doesn't relate only to alcoholics. Certainly this may be the group developing illnesses such as cirrhosis. However, the relationship between drunkeness and health costs can be seen in many forms. There are many traffic fatalities related to overindulgence in alcohol and unlikely that all of these are the result of alcoholism. Alcohol abuse also results in violence, including violence in the home and this cannot simply be pinned on people with alcoholism.

Also most youngsters getting blootered are not alcoholics - at least not yet. Some of them may only be having their first 'brief escape' when they run into trouble. I don't know if things have changed but we were often counting our pennies when we were young to see if we had our money for our fares and to pay into the dancing. If you can't afford to buy drink then that is surely some sort of a deterrent?

The notion of increasing the price of alcohol doesn't appear to me to be 'knee jerk' but part of an approach to reducing heavy drinking with many doctors supporting the Scottish Government's aims. The argument seems to be that increased drinking has been fuelled by easy access to pocket money priced alcohol plus advertising campaigns aimed at young people.

The Scottish culture of heavy drinking has been around for a long, long time. I don't know how this can be changed? Anybody any ideas?