Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

What about this one Tam, is this it

What do you see, nurses, what do you see?

What are you thinking when you're looking at me?

A crabby old woman, not very wise,

Uncertain of habit, with faraway eyes?

Who dribbles her food and makes no reply

When you say in a loud voice, "I do wish you'd try!"

Who seems not to notice the things that you do,

And forever is losing a stocking or shoe.....

Who, resisting or not, lets you do as you will,

With bathing and feeding, the long day to fill....

Is that what you're thinking? Is that what you see?

Then open your eyes, nurse; you're not looking at me.

I'll tell you who I am as I sit here so still,

As I do at your bidding, as I eat at your will.

I'm a small child of ten ...with a father and mother,

Brothers and sisters, who love one another.

A young girl of sixteen, with wings on her feet,

Dreaming that soon now a lover she'll meet.

A bride soon at twenty -- my heart gives a leap,

Remembering the vows that I promised to keep.

At twenty-five now, I have young of my own,

Who need me to guide and a secure happy home.

A woman of thirty, my young now grown fast,

Bound to each other with ties that should last.

At forty, my young sons have grown and are gone,

But my man's beside me to see I don't mourn.

At fifty once more, babies play round my knee,

Again we know children, my loved one and me.

Dark days are upon me, my husband is dead;

I look at the future, I shudder with dread.

For my young are all rearing young of their own,

And I think of the years and the love that I've known.

I'm now an old woman ...and nature is cruel;

'Tis jest to make old age look like a fool.

The body, it crumbles, grace and vigor depart,

There is now a stone where I once had a heart.

But inside this old carcass a young girl still dwells,

And now and again my battered heart swells.

I remember the joys, I remember the pain,

And I'm loving and living life over again.

I think of the years ....all too few, gone too fast,

And accept the stark fact that nothing can last.

So open your eyes, nurses, open and see,

...Not a crabby old woman; look closer ...see ME!!

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What about this Tam is this the old man oneCrabby Old Man

What do you see nurses? What do you see?

What are you thinking.....when you're looking at me?

A crabby old man, ...not very wise,

Uncertain of habit ........with faraway eyes?

Who dribbles his food.......and makes no reply.

When you say in a loud voice.....'I do wish you'd try!'

Who seems not to notice ...the things that you do.

And forever is losing .......... A sock or shoe?

Who, resisting or not...........lets you do as you will,

With bathing and feeding The long day to fill?

Is that what you're thinking? Is that what you see?

Then open your eyes, nurse......you're not looking at me.

I'll tell you who I am . As I sit here so still,

As I do at your bidding, ......as I eat at your will.

I'm a small child of Ten.......with a father and mother,

Brothers and sisters .........who love one another

A young boy of Sixteen ..with wings on his feet

Dreaming that soon now. .......a lover he'll meet.

A groom soon at Twenty .my heart gives a leap.

Remembering, the vows......that I promised to keep.

At Twenty-Five, now .......... I have young of my own.

Who need me to guide .... And a secure happy home.

A man of Thirty ......... My young now grown fast,

Bound to each other ....... With ties that should last.

At Forty, my young sons .... have grown and are gone,

But my woman's beside me.......to see I don't mourn.

At Fifty, once more, . Babies play ' round my knee,

Again, we know children ....... My loved one and me.

Ridgetown has one major drawback in that there is no branch for the bank i deal with. I sent an e-mail then decided to call them to find out if I could use another banks atm. Spoke with a man who explained i could use my bank card in a grocery store which is located in Blenheim.

Blenheim isnae that far away and i did wonder why naebody else has offered the same advice. I sent a thank-you to the bank and signed off with "Tally Ho to no thrills". The thing is the store is named NO BLOODY FRILLS and noo am wondering if that passes as a "senior moment" or a "Freudin slip".

tam

Tae thais who prefer the warmer climates, ken like mibee folk residing in the Lone Star State.

Twas my intent tae dae a wee post, yesterday, Am no sure when winter begins but yesterday am up aroond seven, lookedf oot the windae and the back yard was covered in frost....brrr, am sayin tae mahsel and decided tae go back tae bed.

Five minutes later am in the shower, singin a wee bit because am sae warrum.

Ay eschewed the auld woomans tale aboot no venturin ootside for at least an hour efter a shower, and ten minutes later am ready for the ootside.

Furst thing am aware of is nae frost oan the van; wisnae gonnae drive oanyway. Am walkin doon the pavement and maist of what wur puddles (dubs in Perth), yesterday, have a skin of ice oan top. And the squirrels seem tae be enjoyin the weather, gatherin food stuffs and chasin each ithur. Have a wee gander at the sky and it is cloudless, Saint Johnstone blue above and tapering tae Manchester City blue, off in the distance.

Lots and lots of trees in this wee burg. The maples stand naked, no a bit of shame. Cedars and silver birch urnae wearin match but they urnae flauntin whit they have. The fir trees are quite demure, skirts reachin doon past the knee; mind the Norwegian firs are a bit mair brazen, bare tae mid thigh; bloody foreigners eh.

By noo am oan the main street and wonder what in hell am oot for. Och it probably wisnae important so ay'll awa and buy a scratch ticket.

Back hame ay dae a pot of coffee and check the heat, the hoose seems awfy warrum. Mentionin the heat and the grandsons are baith sayin, "it is not warrum in here, the heat is doon tae the middle sixties....i bow tae their pleas and gie the thermostat a nudge, no that this extravagance is appreciated by the ungrateful mumblers.

Well that was yesterday and am needing tae go oot for a bit...am back later because today was the furst snowfall and am sure thon lass in Texas can remember first snows.

tam

Lots and lots of trees in this wee burg. The maples stand naked, no a bit of shame. Cedars and silver birch urnae wearin match but they urnae flauntin whit they have. The fir trees are quite demure, skirts reachin doon past the knee; mind the Norwegian firs are a bit mair brazen, bare tae mid thigh; bloody foreigners eh.

Tam, yer whole post wiz entertainin an' awfy well written, but the passage kwotit above wiz beyond brillyint.

Thanks a heap Gordon. Why dont you mind your own bloody business, you arent in World Parliament yet, we didnt elect you & never would!!! :rolleyes:

Saving the planet means giving Australia a miss:

AUSTRALIAN Tourism is taking a pounding by the new UK “climate” tax… Despite industry opposition, Prime Minister Gordon Brown introduced a 112 per cent rise in a passenger duty, slugging a family of four wanting to fly to Australia with up to $700 in fees and charges.

The airline industry has hit back with new figures showing airlines operators have cancelled more routes and flights out of London than any other city in Europe, including a dozen flights Down Under…

A spokesman for the Treasury claimed that the tax, which increases the greater distance you travel making Australia the most expensive, was fair.

“Air Passenger Duty is an important contributor to the public finances, while helping the Government to achieve its environmental goals,’’ he said.

Tam, yer whole post wiz entertainin an' awfy well written, but the passage kwotit above wiz beyond brillyint.

I double agree, JJ. We actually had snow on friday. Unheard of here. I lost some of my tropicals. My friend was even gallant enough to lift giant 20 gallon pots onto the garden wagon and tow them to the garage. A true test.

I love fall, Tam. It is one thing I really miss around here.

I double agree, JJ. We actually had snow on friday. Unheard of here. I lost some of my tropicals. My friend was even gallant enough to lift giant 20 gallon pots onto the garden wagon and tow them to the garage. A true test.

I love fall, Tam. It is one thing I really miss around here.

Gees P what was temp there?

And today we had our first snow. I looked oot the windae, saw the white stuff and knew it was gonnae be a grand day. Stared at it coming doon and dinnae want tae acknowledge that it was falling too fast and too straight; wee heavy flakes urnae gonnae last and i refused tae look at the temperature.

Dinnae bother we the shower, jist got dressed and ootside. Grass pretty well covered but no much stayin oan the pavement. Oot for a wee walk tae cash my last nights scratch ticket, a win of five dollars which, because am gonnae tak anithur ticket, means a net loss of one buck.....nae worries, next ticket wull be a big winner.

Walkin up the street and am greeted by a Jack. He is oan a deck at the side of a hoose and he is coming my way at speed. Barking and chargin so i bent doon and said, "a real jack and jist a beauty, c'mon sniff my hand, am no the enemy". He does and then barks at me, dis a wee pee, stretches and scratches the ground. Some grass is flyin so we know the ground isnae frozen. He barks again and then he absolutely melts when i start tae scratch his back.

A young woman is yelling oan the dug and he taks his time. We get alongside whaur she is hangin oot the door and she says, "i'm awfully sorry about that". I tell her it wasnae a problem and the Jack jumps up ontae the deck and sauters through the door.

Am walkin towards main street and have a word with the crossing guard: we have chatted before and he is a nice man, disnae really look auld enough for the job so mibee he took an early retirement,,,,says mahsel who happens tae be the wurulds worst age guesser.

Nae mail delivery so am intae the post office tae check the box: no an easy thing tae dae when ye havnae brought the key. Gie that up for a lost cause and go tae the variety store for my scratch ticket. I also buy a lottario ticket for the Saturday draw so noo am doon two bucks.

Back at the hoose and am surveyin the back yard...it does have a slope so the rink is gonnae be awkward,

UNLESS we get a real snowfall. I have something tae eat, talk tae a niece who lives in Perth and am sippin tea when i noticed a change in the snow; big fluffy, light flakes. No enough tae get my hopes up but certainly promising, for a rink.

The son visits and has one of his sons, with him: the laddie is a keeper. We go tae Tim Horton and get our donuts tae go. The wee yain and i compare our purchases, mine an apple fritter and his a double dip chocolate....ay cannae argue against the chocolate given that the double chocolate muffin is my choice when going to McDonalds.

Went doon tae the shops a wee while ago and learnt that ye need tae be careful. The temp has dropped and the melted snow is now quite icy so i did baby steps aw the way there and aw the way hame.

Tomorrow is my skate buying day.

tam

Tae a couple of ladies: the lawyer phoned and am tae go next Monday tae sign off oan the hoose....mibee see yees in the spring. Also still working on a question posed by Maggs.

Am working on a bit of self improvement. i dae a wee speech tae mahsel, almost everytime i am wanderin the toon....it goes along the lines of, "gloves you idjit, nothin wrong we gloves and because ye are in Canada, we attach them tae each other and pass one end through baith yur sleeves so ye wullnae lose them".

And am keepin an eye oot for Peony, ye nivvur can tell and i dae believe she wid enjoy rural Ontario.

A Christmas dinner at one sons oan the nineteenth and a Christmas day dinner at a Grandsons in his furst hoose.

It got down into the twenties, Ozneil, and I lost some of my hibiscus. Garden is looking pretty sad.

Tam I would love Christmas in Ontario, I'm sure of it.

We had a hard frost a coupla years ago & lost our Hibiscus & a bouganville. Last year we had over the century (about 112 ° F) & lost most of our Camelias & azelias.

Ah agree and a particularly liked this bit

Back hame ay dae a pot of coffee and check the heat, the hoose seems awfy warrum. Mentionin the heat and the grandsons are baith sayin, "it is not warrum in here, the heat is doon tae the middle sixties....i bow tae their pleas and gie the thermostat a nudge, no that this extravagance is appreciated by the ungrateful mumblers.

Hee hee ungrateful scallywags indeed :lol:

Pearl Harbour:

did yesterday go by withoot a mention of "The Day of Infamy" ? Cannae remember that ever happening afore.

tam

and the ninth was the day Germany declared war oan the US; bit of a blunder methinks.

Pearl Harbour:

did yesterday go by withoot a mention of "The Day of Infamy" ? Cannae remember that ever happening afore.

tam

and the ninth was the day Germany declared war oan the US; bit of a blunder methinks.

I heard nothing about it tam.

JJ, is spot on, that was a rare wee post. Full of lovely imagery. I'm away tae huv another read. :lol:

This post is gonnae leave yees green with envy....and...at least four, or mibee jist three, wull be very interested indeed.

Less than ten feet from whaur i sit, lying in repose, mibee resting and dreaming of the future....MY SKATES; truly a thing of beauty.

The eldest son went with me and i telt him i wanted Bauer Supremes, which, he agreed, were a guid choice. The son kens the store owner and he came tae serve me.

"Well", the man says, "what are you interested in". I was sae excited i didnae even mention my main interest and went right tae the hert of the matter, "the Bauer Supremes", i says. The man asks aboot size but i knew what i wanted, took them of the shelf, removed one shoe and sock, put a clean sock oan and loosened the laces.

The son says, "they look kinda small", which i didnae even acknowledge. I tried and tried but the maist i cuid manage was three toes intae the boot, and only if my foot was sideways. Nonplussed might be a guid description: didnae ken whaur tae look or what tae say.

The store owner took the second skate and in a very gentle tone said, "these are an excellent choice....ehm, what size shoes do you wear" ? I telt him an eight and he says, "right, these are a bit small, would you mind if i measured your foot". He measures and tells me i have a very wide foot.

He brings oot aboot three pair of skates. His wife arrives and says "hello" tae me; kens me from my previous visits. Then she says, "here for the skates i see, oh and i see you have the Bauer Supreme, though they do look a bit small". She took the second skate from me and put both back on the shelf.....nb: she did NOT havtae pry my fingers of the Bauer Supreme and anyone thit says so is a lie teller.

I try oan anither pair and they feel grand until am standing; bit tight across the part whaur the big toe joins the foot. Am thinking these are another pair of Bauers and am almost ready tae buy them anyway.

The store owner hastae leave and his wife says tae me, "let's not rush, there's lots of skates so let us get a pair that fit". She looks at the ones i have on, smiles and

says, "we sold a lot of these". I look and they are made by Easton.

While the woman is getting skates for me to try on am thinking of Easton and i vaguely remember that the company did skates and pads for a few NHL teams and the son thinks they are a great skate. The lady returns with three pairs of CCM skates.

CCM probably sell more skates than anyone. They have been in business forever and lost no customers when part of their manufacturing was moved to Jamaica or Barbados; cannae mind which. Oanyway am no really wantin CCM but i dae try them oan. All three pairs were really uncomfortable and the woman said, "it's the arch".

She removes the CCMs and returns with a pair of Eastons. Has me put both oan and she does the laces. Am walking aboot and she says, "how does the heel feel"? I tell her they are the most comfortable skate i have ever worn. She laughs and says, "everyone says the same thing...now....when you are ready to step onto the ice, kick backwards so that the back of the blade hits wood....you will feel the back of your foot nestle into the skate, it's the air support".

The lady took the skates to be sharpened and the son took me for a late breakfast. He dropped me off at the senior centre and delivered the skates to the hoose. The skates are beautiful and the son paid the bill, which am gonnae mak sure he gets re-inbursed.

life is guid

tam

Also a great day of bridge...had a lot of laughs and came second, which was a huge surprise...the lady who won was so very pleased it was treat to witness.

Guest westtender

everytime i am wanderin the toon....it goes along the lines of, "gloves you idjit, nothin wrong we gloves and because ye are in Canada, we attach them tae each other and pass one end through baith yur sleeves so ye wullnae lose them".

:lol:

That's called 'idiot mitts' hereaboots

nae offence!

Guest westtender

Less than ten feet from whaur i sit, lying in repose, mibee resting and dreaming of the future....MY SKATES; truly a thing of beauty.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Mmmmm. Skatin. At your age.

Good luck

ThomasTraction-child.png

:lol:

That's called 'idiot mitts' hereaboots

nae offence!

nae offense taken and "the shoe does fit".

Maggs: thy will be done......am tae get a helmit, so am told, and awready have a pressure bandage for the left knee.

A Mennonite family build an outdoor rink, every year. Was by it the ithur day and the sides are up. Am thinkin we need a few days of cold weather afore they flood it....mind am no sure but the fire department might dae the flooding.

tam

And there is nae charge for the skating.