Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

Yes been watching it on TV you are certainly copping the rain. I see Rolo went for a swim in Hope Street the other day.

Its bloody hot here (Sydney) in high 30­°s Hottest November for 18 years. In Adelaide been hovering round 40° C for past couple of weeks. Flooding in Northern NSW (Bellingen) Parts got 300mm (12") rain in a few hours. Mind you they get floods there every couple of years though these have been the worst since 1960s. Forecast for Sydney today is 41°C a tad warm

My inlaws on a visit here a few years ago went home in January left here it was 30°. Got off plane about 30 hours later in Aberdeen it was -5° & a strong wind. They thought they would die

We usually expect a hard game with Scotland but they usually run out of puff in the second half. I will take your excuse greatfully Yonza that our guys were half frozen but that doesnt detract from Scotland's victory it was deserved.

The rain is a pain, Oz, but you can put your brolly up. I could not cope with 30 degrees never mind 40. Sounds like torture.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The rain is a pain, Oz, but you can put your brolly up. I could not cope with 30 degrees never mind 40. Sounds like torture.

Its 10 to 2 here & temperature is just nudging 40°C. You get used to it.

I much prefer it to freezing rain & snow though if not used to it it can be a bit wearing. Gives you a good excuse to sink a few coldies.

Provided humidity is low its quite bearable & you dont seem to sweat. It evaporates on skin so fast it cools you. On the other hand in high humidity you sit bathed in sweat.

4pm Temp now down to 38°.

Place smells of wood smoke & a lot of smoke haze around.

Apparently NSW has 60+ bush fires mostly caused by over 1,000 lightning strikes

where they are click on symbols to get info.

On the bright side wife hung out washing & in half an hour it was dry & I have plenty of cold beer!

You might be righter than you think. Horrible weather up here and although I didnae watch it, the match must have been played on a very cold mud heap. There's been a huge amount of rain up here, recently (Google: Cockermouth flooding) Your kicker seemed to freeze up, anyhow. Must be a real shock coming from a southern hemisphere summer to this, although it didn't stop the All Blacks beating England. Fiji got gubbed, as did Argentina.

Mibbe it wiz jist that (on this occasion) Australia wiz pish and Scotland not so pish

Mibbe it wiz jist that (on this occasion) Australia wiz pish and Scotland not so pish

According to the match reports, Australia dominated possession and territory, but their finishing was poor and the wet conditions contributed to that.

According to the match reports, Australia dominated possession and territory, but their finishing was poor and the wet conditions contributed to that.

If we could have kicked straight we would have won . Were unlucky in 2 tries, but thats life.

First time in 27 years :lol:

Well done Scotland!

4pm Temp now down to 38°.

Place smells of wood smoke & a lot of smoke haze around.

Apparently NSW has 60+ bush fires mostly caused by over 1,000 lightning strikes

where they are click on symbols to get info.

On the bright side wife hung out washing & in half an hour it was dry & I have plenty of cold beer!

I miss hanging out my washing, Oz, but my aunties and mammy instilled in me the fact that 'a good washing day' is one when there is a strong breeze. :lol:

Fek me wet condition in Scotland in November, no exactly an unknown fact.

Especially when there's a lot of Austarlian team members paly in Britain regularly

Our highly esteemed Prime Minister told us at the weekend when temps were in the 40s That it was a sign of Global Warming approaching & we would just have to get used to it.

On Sunday night a "Southerly Buster" rolled in (wind from the South happens quite a lot late in the afternoons or evenings) & temp dropped to low 20s & has been there for last couple of days.

Caller on talk back radio said he was a bit worried with this cold unseasonal weather and wondered if was a sign of the next Ice Age approaching & would we just have to get used to it.

We treat our pollies with reverence

Our highly esteemed Prime Minister told us at the weekend when temps were in the 40s That it was a sign of Global Warming approaching & we would just have to get used to it.

On Sunday night a "Southerly Buster" rolled in (wind from the South happens quite a lot late in the afternoons or evenings) & temp dropped to low 20s & has been there for last couple of days.

Caller on talk back radio said he was a bit worried with this cold unseasonal weather and wondered if was a sign of the next Ice Age approaching & would we just have to get used to it.

We treat our pollies with reverence

Oddly enuff, aboot 40 years ago we wur akshully wurried aboot anither possible Ice Age. While ah dae buleev that we, the hyoomin race, ur huvvin an adverse effect oan the climate, ah dae also think the meeja huv a lot tae answer fur, in terms o' scare-mungerin.

Oddly enuff, aboot 40 years ago we wur akshully wurried aboot anither possible Ice Age. While ah dae buleev that we, the hyoomin race, ur huvvin an adverse effect oan the climate, ah dae also think the meeja huv a lot tae answer fur, in terms o' scare-mungerin.

Yes I know & from late about 1900 to 1930s it was warmer & all plumbing in England was on outside walls . In 1960s they froze every year. For 500 years from about 900 CE they were farming in Greenland then it got too cold & have only started again a couple of years ago. At same period Vikings called Newfoundlabd Vin Land & were farning there It comes & goes. The Iceman thawed out & they found he had been hit & had fallen there. Sure as hell he didnt bury himself so it must have been at least as warm then as it was when he thawed out

What, you have moths at Hogmanay over by?

Guess it must be the weather :blink:

Apart from mocking my typing ability the answer is YES

bogong-moth.jpg

a Bogan Moth about 1"long Migrate south to snowy montains to breed round about them , can get huge swarms of them

moths1_wideweb__470x345,0.jpg

Also Christmas beetles

christmas_beetle_australia_matt.jpg

Heard a lot of feral camels have taken the humph in Oz at a shortage of water. Can't they get the fire brigade to spray them water from water hydrants, poor souls.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/artic...jectid=10611955

Yeah they breed like Topsy in Good years then in bad years they leave the desert & go for permanent water These camels are descendants of those that the Afghans let go when they traded them in for trucks & are now completely feral & compete for water with local wild life & humans. There just aint enough water to spray them even if there was a firebrigade let alone fire hydrants there.

They break dams, foul waterholes & Billabongs, break filtration plants & water mains & generally bugger up everything they can to get water. There are hoards of the buggers so they are going to cull somwhere between a 1,000 & 1,500 this year in Central Australia. The best ones will be exported to Saudi

Anyone:

OzNeal posted a link to a poem, the subject of which was aging. Am trying tae get another copy of the poem and i have been scrolling for the past half hour. Tried tae dae a search using SDH and ye cannae use the search unless ye inject four letters.

The problem i have with scrolling is that i tend to start reading.....attention span of a bloody goldfish, soahhave.

HELP needed.

tam

I posted 'I will wear purple'

WHEN I AM AN OLD WOMAN I SHALL WEAR PURPLE

With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.

And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves

And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired

And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells

And run my stick along the public railings

And make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall go out in my slippers in the rain

And pick the flowers in other people's gardens

And learn to spit

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat

And eat three pounds of sausages at a go

Or only bread and pickle for a week

And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry

And pay our rent and not swear in the street

And set a good example for the children.

We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?

So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised

When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Taken from the book

When I Am An Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple

Editd by Sandra Martz

Papier Mache Press--Watsonville, California 1987

And that is a beauty:

i was looking for the one aboot the auld man in the nursing home and made a few discoveries. The "found" poem has been "found" in a lot of nursing hames and it came into existance as, "Grumpy old Woman". There are claims that it originated in Ireland and a strong case is made for a discovery in the US. One man has said that the original used the word "crabbitt" and because of that word it was most assuredly written by a lady from Scotland.

tam

never did find a copy of the one from the Sidney paper.