Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I need help with a problem...

I keep thinking about an old Marx Brothers sketch where grouch is talking about the something of the something of the something of the something. I am not sure if it was a contract or a legal clause but it is stuck in my head and driving me nuts. Any Groucho fans out there that recognise my weird and quite frankly, very vague description? :lol:

I dunno, Harper....actually came oan here tae say somethin aboot disliking (hating might be a stretch)....if folk want tae dislike me for what I have said then that is one thing and they are entitled....disliking me for what somebody said, i said, is ridiculous.

Aye, dishing false dirt is a bad thing, tam.

Harper, sorry I couldn't tell you a single sketch. If anymore comes back to you then you might be able to find it on Google. In fact, I reckon if you look for Marx Brothers sketches then there will be plenty to choose from. Good luck. :)

Would it no be this exchange between Otis B. Driftwood (Groucho) and Fiorello (Chico)?

Fiorello: Hey, wait, wait. What does this say here, this thing here?

Driftwood: Oh, that? It just says.....if any of the parties participating in this contract are shown not to be in their right mind, the entire agreement is automatically nullified.
Fiorello: Well, I don't know...
Driftwood: It's all right. That's, that's in every contract. That's, that's what they call a sanity clause.
Fiorello: Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! You can't fool me. There ain't no Sanity Clause!

What I really loved about the Marx Brothers is they made it seem okay to be insane.

Woot! .... the very one!

OMG, that has so made my day. Thankyeeeeew xxx

"I don't like the second party"

"Well you should have come to the first party, We were there till 4 in the morning." :lol:

Sqriob, I can well see why the Marx Brothers would appeal to you..... they could be kin.... :P

Is it jist me or is there something a bit rude about waiting for Kate to drap the royal wean. I mean..... give the lassie some privacy.

I know what you mean but next grandwean I have, I'm putting a placard with the news outside our building.

Glad you got your Groucho sketch. :)

• 2 weeks later...

A mouse: am oan the computer, early last evening. Had finished eating, (beans and chips we rye bread and butter) and I see somethin oot the corner of my eye....och, jist the eyes acting thair age. Finished a glass of milk and took the glass through tae the kitchen and there is that glimpse of somethin, again. Sink has soapy hot water I and deposit the glass. Decide it is time for a coffee and before I am finished preparing the coffee maker, a cheeky, tiny rodent crosses over my stove and goes behing my micro-wave. My goad a mouse, havnae had tae deal we one of those for a number of years; surprising when ye realize am surrounded by fields of winter wheat.

Right...the plan...ehm, havnae a clue. Spend time staring at the interloper. She is "wee" no "sleekit" no "cowrin" and mare shy than "timrous", and realizing she isnae afraid made me think it is a she and no a he. Mind it keeps disappearin behind the micro-wave and under the toaster.

Ahm no for killin the beastie but nae idea how tae catch her. Visit neighbour who has weans in the hope I can borrow a butterfly net but they urnae hame. Phone my bridge partner and his wife says, "get a cat" and he adds, "plastic pail and half fill we water, put paper on top and we cheese", the theory is that the beastie walks oan the paper tae get the cheese and the paper disnae hold her and she drowns....nae guid.

I get a large, clear, plastic bag and put it oan my counter top. In it and laying flat I add a brown paper with the inducement; thais cereal wheat things, broken intae wee pieces. I stand no too far awa and wait....she arrives, looks aroond me and maks sure wur alone. Ontae the brown paper she advances and samples the fare....I can see it in her ee, no too bad, she is thinkin.

Well she maks a number of trips and each time I lift my haun tae pull the plastic bag closed, she scampers.

I went tae bed. By one thirty she had eaten all that was provided.

Noo she is in for a surprise the night because I went tae the shop and bought two butterfly nets...two is needed because they dinnae mak them as deep as they ustae.

She wull be turfed before the morning.

Well, no quite. However, I wull be daein a good job we the counter top, everyplace thit she stood, company for dinner and she isnae a fan of mice.....even did some vacuuming and cleaned the computer desk and area....noo for a wee lay doon.

Hingmie: good to see you posting......Strangely enough the mouse hasnae returned....seeing the man friday tomorrow to see if he has any ideas how they get intae the apartment.

And I am lazy about everything....had a call from Bell, phone and internet provider. I have had it with them, you call and it takes 45 minutes to reach a real person, usually someone in a foreign land. E-mail is never answered and surface mail never seems to get to them so I was resolved to leave....they called a few minutes ago and for the next twelve months I get phone and internet for less than $50.00 a month, more than $20.00 per month less than I was paying.....they asked about TV but I seldom watch anything. I may changed my mind when the hockey season starts.

I have heard elsewhere on internet that when you finally get through to your service provider, threaten to leave as another can provide cheaper, they eventually cave in and offer same deals or less. Sounds like that is true by your experience Tam. When I gather up the patience to go through the tedious electronic voice, press a button, hang on, listen to tedious music (often very loud), press another & then another phone button, mibbe more ?music and I have not lost the will to keep living, I will attempt it. I think I will need a weeks annual leave to go for it. x

Unless anyone knows a short cut ?

These servers all seem cut from the same bolt.....it does take a heap of patience but the resulting savings for me makes it all worthwhile.....mibee..... and a year from now I will be switching because the other company does have an e-mail address and they do answer, or so I am told.

26 today and quite windy....beautiful weather.....

Was going to say I am reading "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" but there is a book thread for that.

Hope you're enjoying your book, tam. It's quite chilly here this morning. Not too dull but very breezy. At least it's not raining.

It's helluva irritating when you look at offers by utilities to new customers when you're paying a much higher rate.

Anytime I have to phone Vodafone, the company I use for my mobile, I am beyond demented.

One good thing is that I am now no longer getting sales calls from every PPI claim, new kitchens, windows etc since I registered not to receive such calls.

I was getting up to twenty a day.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of excitement"

"A county in Oregon has proclaimed 9 August as Boring and Dull Day "in perpetuity".

The proclamation honours the pairing of the town of Boring in Oregon and the village of Dull, Perthshire.

Local officials have spoken of their excitement over planned events, including a piper playing and a barbershop quartet singing.

Dull residents have been reported as being appreciative that the link has encouraged Boring visitors.

The pairing of the two communities took place in June 2012, after Perthshire resident Elizabeth Leighton passed through Boring while on a cycling holiday."