Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

Take it easy, tam, and try the wheatgrass. You can get it in a couple of our coffee shops in the West End. Something else that I've been hearing a lot of good reports about is DoMatcha - ancient Japanese Green Tea. Maybe I should put that up in our science thread. :lol:

What rubbish is this? I can't be doing with anything I'd feel daft ordering.... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OMG, I've just had to join the English Rugy Supporters Club to be included for the ballot for tickets for the Six Nations 2013 Calcutta Cup match. The absolute shame of it... :unsure::lol:

February 4h, 2013. I am getting excited already!

OMG, I've just had to join the English Rugy Supporters Club to be included for the ballot for tickets for the Six Nations 2013 Calcutta Cup match. The absolute shame of it... :unsure::lol:

February 4h, 2013. I am getting excited already!

I hope this means you'll be traveling North to Murrayfield. :)

The alternate the Calcutta Cup. I usually get tickets ion the draw for home games at Murrayfield but had to join the ERSC for any chance of getting any for Twickenham.

What a riddy.:wub:

No rendition of Flower of Scotland then. :rolleyes:

What do they sing at Twickenham?

The Twickenham choice for England appears to be Swing Low Sweet Chariot. Don't ask me why. I have no eye deer.

:lol: Seems strangely absurd, although, no a bad song. You can put a lot of feeling into it.

• 1 month later...

Ay, its jist me, ah ken i shuid have knocked. Any way, a long, long time ago i read a piece thit said, "Home is the place you can return to and they will not turn you away"...so here I am. And am a bit lighter, the hert isnae fu of nonsense am well past that. Ye wid think I might be anxious tae "hunt again" but am no.....course we cannae predict whit tomorrow wull bring.

And the site has changed a wee bit; at furst i thought yees were in disguise, tryin tae hide, but yur no. Saw the piece aboot Michael Marra...he does a song oan one of my favourite CDs, a CD gifted tae me by a weegie....I really like his voice.

Jist last week I thought I was gonnae have a date but the lady changed her mind, she actually said she hadnae agreed tae dinner at my place. I was looking forward tae it, figured I could impose myself until the face got slapped...but...the cancellation brought all thoughts to a halt and i, honest tae God, breathed a sigh of relief....nae idea why and certain that this disnae mean am no over the ithur...cos I am so.

Am reading a very guid book so wull post in the book section.

Saint Johnstone: wonderful are they no ?...but the real measure of their success wull depend on whether they thrash the dundees.

Nice to see you back Tam. The world is full of weird and wonderful friendships and relationships. Celebrate your health and your pals... and if someone special comes along it will be a bonus. :D

Right, nipping over to the bookthread to see what you're reading....

This has been a very guid day. My bridge partner is from "The Kingdom of Fife" but his working life was spent mostly in Grangemouth; we attended the "Senior Games" duplicate and won, and now we must think about going to Huntsville, next February...the senior centre is going to try and get funding for us; a buddy doesnn't want to drive that far in the winter.

My guid mood is further enhanced by being a member of this site...and that disnae mean i dinnae miss maggs, HH, the seldom posting Jo, OzNeal, Nota, Rolo and others...I even miss quite a few frae a long ago site.

A few things tae dae in the morning and I should be here by five PM your time....only a four hour difference now....we change our clocks next Sunday.

Halloween tomorrow and I do not want to be home for the trick or treaters....mibee visit Grande Pointe, Lily is pregnant....nae idea what length the gestation period is, for a Mastiff.

Until tomorrow....just took three shots afore I could spell tomorrow

I have read the previous posts and would have posted sooner but for Shazy and her use of "still". A multitude of thoughts, memories, imaginings. "Still" is one of those "events" which stick in ones mind.

I delivered morning and evening papers when we lived in London. Sunday papers were heavy and I had to return to the shop three times. Seven AM and most Sundays I would be on the top floor of a block of flats; no traffic sounds, no people and seven gongs would ring out...."Big Ben" ? I always thought so but not sure Big Ben would be heard on Dorset Road.

And still with London, Wordsworth's "Lines Composed Upon Westminster Bridge"; can't remember if it was a sonnet but the last(?) line is, "and all that mighty heart is l(a)ying still.

Back in the fifties the Saint John river (Fredericton NB) would freeze and some would walk across on the ice. Night, very dark and when the half way point was reached the lights from both shores would be visible and on a cloudless evening you would see millions of stars; and then the sound of a crack, same sound the old movies used when a rifle shot would ricochet; did not destroy the still, perhaps added to it.

"The Road not Taken" or "passing by the woods on a snowy evening" by Robert Frost...you can feel the "still".

Perhaps the fondest memories of "still" are those which include another person...we awaken during the night, try not to move so as not to disturb the person by your side, silence might be broken by a small sound from someone who does not snore, and then you feel a slight movement....contentment reigns and the "still" lingers.

And a beautiful fog is blurring the view from my kitchen window...beautiful.

Did a copy and paste because I wanted tae post the "still".....it might get me to move my erse. Oanyway: the Mastiff is "Lily", a beauty, a dog that loves kids like ye widnae believe. When she was new, a new member of the family and only a few months old, I had tae mind her for four days; she wasnae feeling good and had the runs: she didnae want tae have the runs, didnae mean tae have the wee accidents in the hoose, it wasnae the best of times but we managed and she was extremely grateful...can still picture her with the saddest eyes, looking so apologetic, it never occurred tae me tae yell at her and what guid wid it have done anyway....i am going tae try and see her this weekend.

PS only took a couple of days of mashed potatoes and chicken to cure her ills.

Bridge this afternoon and supposed to get the "bingo" bus tomorrow.....mahsel and twenty-five women oan a bus tae the bingo hall in Chatham...been three times and still sleepin single in a double bed....it isnae natural.

just had a look oot the windae...the field of winter wheat, up aboot two inches, was set upom by a flock of birds, must be two hundred (mibee starlings cos they urnae very big). They started at the far end, aboot a quarter of a mile awa...they alight, stay a few seconds then fly over the ones still oan the ground then that lot dae the same thing; only took about six minutes for the\m to reach the end of the field. Nae idea whit they wur daeing, cannae be after the seeds because the planting was two weeks ago.

And the day looks gorgeous...jist a wee breeze, leaves are wigglin but the branches are still.

I love the peoms of Robert Frost and The Road Not Taken is a favourite...

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

I find my "stills" in pictures, Tamd and especially Winter Landscape, by Caspar David Friedrich.

http://www.nationalg...inter-landscape

Tell you what, dump the twice used tea bags and take a book of poetry on the bus..... you never know. ;)

I've never seen that painting before, harper. It's lovely and peaceful. I tend to go for very colourful paintings like The Druids Bringing in The Mistletoe (http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Visitors/MuseumsGalleries/AddToBasket.htm?Image=216) I think I may need more 'stills'. Nice idea, tam.

That's good advice you're handing out there. Go for it, tam. Show your arty and thoughtful side. :)

My musical: I was a "C" or"D" adult student attending night classes or inter-session or summer session at the University of Windsor. My first class was English 101 and the first assignment was, "two weeks from tonight the first period will be yours to write whatever you wish as long as it pertains to the works we have taken"...the TA was a nun and the lectures were on TV.

I wrote a play which earned an "F". New to university I felt I had to accept the "F". Half a dozen classmates said, "ask her why" and I did. She said, "you wrote a play" and of course I said, "you told us we could write anything we wanted as long as it etc"...and she admitted she had and added that anyone attending university would know it should have been an essay......she talked to the prof and I was allowed to re-write....second paper earned a "C" and she was furious because I wrote on the "Agamemnon" and had him take Priam's daughter as a replacement for the daughter he had sacrificed, rather than as a concubine....my theory does not agree with the majority but she could not prove it wrong.

A few semesters later I am in another English class and the prof is Phil London, a New Yorker. He gives us our assignments for the class and they are generally "write what you wish, etc". I chatted with him between classes and said, "I heard that "write whatever you wish" before and he asked what I intended for my mid-term paper. I told him, "a musical" using one of the restoration period farces (way of the world, by Congrieve) and I would use already published music with changed lyrics...Phil was a gamer and said, "great, but I want it on tape"....I was to get his tape recorder when I was ready.

My first paper for this class was a letter, which I mailed to his home (I may have hand delivered it to his mail box)....anyhoo, I go to his house a couple of weeks after the letter was delivered and he introduced me to his wife and she said, "are you the fellow who wrote the letter" ? She asked why and I told her we were doing the Restoration period and hand delivered letters were the way of communicating at that time....she smiled and said, "I thought so" then added, "you are fond of Boswell, Phil says you have his style down to a T"

The last three weeks of that class I was on a bender. I called Phil and asked him about marks and he said, "you owe me one more paper, one sheet or ten, anything at all and you get an A" I laughed and he said, "you really don't care about marks, do you" ? I told him that an "A" for me would be an aberation and my mark became a "C"...we parted very good friends.

I am glad that my good friend Harper asked...took me back some fifty years...I have met a lot of very special people along the way.

Phil earned his Baccalaureate at sixteen, his major was chemistry, his Masters at eighteen (Psychology)and his PHD, when he was twenty, in English.

Robert(s) Frost...Service....Burns, great, great, great. I might need to re-visit Frost...seems tae me he had a very sad life, four daughters and all died before he did...then again, mibee the memory is playing tricks.