Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

Yesterday I walked tae the shops and was caught in the rain, had tae come hame tae change my shirt afore going to Blenheim for some vitals...."vitals" first usage seems tae have happened 1610 and had tae dae we vital organs....i remember it from old western movies, Gabby Hayes mibee, and it meant food.

London Ontario, a roast beef dinner. Also tae finally meet a daughters new wee dug, also a Doberman pup belonging tae a grandson.

Middle tae high twenties for the rest of the week, one exception is Thursday when the high is tae be sixteen...and rain, the gentle falling nectar needed to make the filds come alive....mind the fields urnae daein too bad the noo, soya beans are three or four inches high.

Getting tae baby sit two dugs, mibee Wednesday and Thursday....need tae explain tae the lovely owner thit Tuesday widnae be a problem......and oany of you lot heidin my way, take heed, if ye cannae abide dugs, stay awa until the followin week.

tam

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday I walked tae the shops and was caught in the rain, had tae come hame tae change my shirt afore going to Blenheim for some vitals...."vitals" first usage seems tae have happened 1610 and had tae dae we vital organs....i remember it from old western movies, Gabby Hayes mibee, and it meant food.

London Ontario, a roast beef dinner. Also tae finally meet a daughters new wee dug, also a Doberman pup belonging tae a grandson.

Middle tae high twenties for the rest of the week, one exception is Thursday when the high is tae be sixteen...and rain, the gentle falling nectar needed to make the filds come alive....mind the fields urnae daein too bad the noo, soya beans are three or four inches high.

Getting tae baby sit two dugs, mibee Wednesday and Thursday....need tae explain tae the lovely owner thit Tuesday widnae be a problem......and oany of you lot heidin my way, take heed, if ye cannae abide dugs, stay awa until the followin week.

tam

A wee jaunt tae London, Ontario. A roast beef dinner which was superb. Met the new dug but no the grandsons Doby. Tara (Rotweiler) Enzo (a high brid) and the new yain dae make a man feel welcome. I left early so as tae watch the Memorial Cup final (major junior "A" hockey) and my tv provider disnae carry the game; ahm trying tae watch it oan the auld mac....

Hingmie: see thon double posts, is thair no something in the bylaws which says....."any member of glasgowwestend who is an attractive female and dares to double post must, as an act of attrition, journey to Ridgetown and accept counseling from a resident"....almost sure that is on page three.

The wee bit of rain has the fields busting out all over....hay two feet high, soya beans, row after row after row, six inches and will be seven or eight in a couple of days...and, no that sure but the corn seems tae be started in many of the fields....I have the ipad and it does take photographs so wull attempt a few tomorrow, after bridge. Mind if my social life makes a huge turn for the better the photaes might havtae wait....no really much chance but i dae hope.......if the photaes are taken I wull e-mail them to the lovely, patient, kind-hearted Pat.

tam

A wee jaunt tae London, Ontario. A roast beef dinner which was superb. Met the new dug but no the grandsons Doby. Tara (Rotweiler) Enzo (a high brid) and the new yain dae make a man feel welcome. I left early so as tae watch the Memorial Cup final (major junior "A" hockey) and my tv provider disnae carry the game; ahm trying tae watch it oan the auld mac....

Hingmie: see thon double posts, is thair no something in the bylaws which says....."any member of glasgowwestend who is an attractive female and dares to double post must, as an act of attrition, journey to Ridgetown and accept counseling from a resident"....almost sure that is on page three.

The wee bit of rain has the fields busting out all over....hay two feet high, soya beans, row after row after row, six inches and will be seven or eight in a couple of days...and, no that sure but the corn seems tae be started in many of the fields....I have the ipad and it does take photographs so wull attempt a few tomorrow, after bridge. Mind if my social life makes a huge turn for the better the photaes might havtae wait....no really much chance but i dae hope.......if the photaes are taken I wull e-mail them to the lovely, patient, kind-hearted Pat.

tam

I thought you had just inspired hingmie tam.

had a looksee and ahm oan line we tig and facebook.....cannae understand whit facebook wid be daein oan glasgowwestend. However, i am aware some sites allow a person tae transfer there posts tae facebook; "sagazone" does and it seems to have caused some problems. Ahm told thit some folk are saying thit once they dae the transfer thing it allows folk oan facebook tae see everything, rather that entry only tae the post which is transfered...aw too techy for me.

And a very special grandson has had the ears on his dog dramatically changed....a bloody disgrace that anyone would allow mutilation for the sake of, "oh, isn't he cute"....makes me wish I had money soas tae enable me tae cut him out of my will and have it mean something.

tan

had a looksee and ahm oan line we tig and facebook.....cannae understand whit facebook wid be daein oan glasgowwestend. However, i am aware some sites allow a person tae transfer there posts tae facebook; "sagazone" does and it seems to have caused some problems. Ahm told thit some folk are saying thit once they dae the transfer thing it allows folk oan facebook tae see everything, rather that entry only tae the post which is transfered...aw too techy for me.

And a very special grandson has had the ears on his dog dramatically changed....a bloody disgrace that anyone would allow mutilation for the sake of, "oh, isn't he cute"....makes me wish I had money soas tae enable me tae cut him out of my will and have it mean something.

tan

You see allsorts on here, tamd. Facebook, Google, MSN, Alexa - nosy so and sos.:lol:

Poor dog. I hate all that tail docking and ear altering stuff. Cruel.

• 3 weeks later...

just a wee note frae a "dog sitter": the old lab (Remington) is about eleven, precious tail wagging wonderful company...and the wee one (Riley) half the size of a thrupnae bit and a heart stealer.

Weather is in the thirties, Monday through Thursday and dropping to 23 on Friday. I bought an air-conditioner from bloody wal-mart. 5,000 thingmies and supposedly guid for one room....mibee havtae put up a tray of ice cubes and let the air from the conditioner fan pass through it...oanyway baith dugs are lying oan the living room rug and I have tried tae get them tae stay in the bedroom......mibee the whirring of the useless air-conditioner makes them no want tae stay in the bedroom.

Duplicate bridge yesterday and my partner was magnificent.

tam

just a wee note frae a "dog sitter": the old lab (Remington) is about eleven, precious tail wagging wonderful company...and the wee one (Riley) half the size of a thrupnae bit and a heart stealer.

Weather is in the thirties, Monday through Thursday and dropping to 23 on Friday. I bought an air-conditioner from bloody wal-mart. 5,000 thingmies and supposedly guid for one room....mibee havtae put up a tray of ice cubes and let the air from the conditioner fan pass through it...oanyway baith dugs are lying oan the living room rug and I have tried tae get them tae stay in the bedroom......mibee the whirring of the useless air-conditioner makes them no want tae stay in the bedroom.

Duplicate bridge yesterday and my partner was magnificent.

tam

This dog sitting could be a whole new career, tam.

'Duplicate bridge' - is that no a bit greedy? ")

This dog sitting could be a whole new career, tam.

(quote)

'Duplicate bridge' - is that no a bit greedy? ") YES, you have it in a nutshell; duplicate calls for getting the most points per hand, more than all of the others who play exactly the same cards.....don't you dare ask, "is that no a bit redundant" ?

Up very early. The neighbour is away for the day; she asked me to "wish her luck" and I did; I also mentioned acceptance: am no a believer in churches, mibee should say organized religion, but asking for "acceptance" works for me. The driver was late picking up the lady.

Serious business and the mind wanders, probably tae places it shuidnae, but. Someone said, bad things dinnae happen tae guid folk and that just isnae true....I start tae wonder, "why this guid woman" ? and off course that has no answer...then ye wonder aboot a "loving" God and it always takes me to Rwanda and the holocaust and a very religious friend who says, "but those tragedies were caused by MAN" which leads me tae, aw the good we credit tae God and aw the bad tae man"....Romeo Delare was the Canadian General who refused to send his troops home after being ordered to by the Canadian PM...he also sent many messages tae the UN and predicted the slaughter...the UN man who decided not to intervene became the Sec/Gen.

Chemo...twelve bloody hours...it is going to be a long day.

A good thing has just happened...the dogs are hot and it isnae too bad in the flat. The air-conditioner is in the bedroom and the pair of them do not normally go in there. I took the big guy in there, earlier, and have just noticed he has returned to the bedroom and the wee fella is with him....

tam

I have chicken legs (cooked them yesterday) in the fridge. I have peeled, boiled tatties in the fridge...gonnae gie these dugs a treat, jist as soon as the big yain does his business.

thought i would post something and decided on the first paragraph of a wee bit aboot Ridgetown....

The Garden of Eden....Perhaps a Re-Think.

i live in Ridgetown; Ridgetown Community Estates. I am surrounded by natures bounty and a short walk, this morning, made me think, "Garden of Eden". AND because my mind can be quite flighty, I recalled a word, newly discovered yesterday, the word "hagiographic"...i wanted so very much to be able to use "hagiographic" in this piece and cannot because to me I would need to be writing about an individual and I am thinking that "Garden of Eden" in this instance, is more about the fruit of the land rather than Adam and Eve.....not hagiographic but in no way should anything in this article be seen as sacrilegious. And a word about Adam before I leave the biblical "Garden"....he has my admiration, to be the founder of the human race as we know it, while under the watchful eye of a serpent and a wife who is feasting on an apple...my admiration knows no limits.

Goodness Tamd, what would Darwin think? :lol:

I live in the middle of a city, ground to a halt by a bus strike, preceeded by a doctors' strike yesterday and sliding into meltdown, all for a bit of running and jumping. Oh, and then there's the football.... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Jist noticed the time and I need tae walk the dogs afore I go tae bridge. Oan the guid word thread and no payin attention tae the dates thought everyone had returned....rain here but no a miserable day....a guid day for stayin in and reading a guid book, mind if you've company and readin is the best ye can come up we, shame on ye.

tam

Will this please a fair maiden ?

Dear Tracey's cousin:-

Your cousin Tracey is the darling of the senior citizens of Ridgetown. Tracey (use of the christian/first name is a family thing, my Father would not allow use of the diminutive pronoun "she" when any member of the family was referring to any female members) has told me of your upcoming visit and because I know something of you, I thought I should tell you a little about me.

About you, (please note the "ladies before gentlemen", old fashioned but hoping it might be an endearing plus:- very attractive, extremely pleasant, early sixties and single....WOW, you will be in great demand; and why not, you may be a one of a kind for the entire Chatham/Kent region. A native of Atlanta, a place I have had the pleasure of visiting.....visiting might be a tiny stretch, I drove a big truck and had deliveries to Atlanta and a couple of the smaller towns, Athens (?) comes to mind and I believe it was a university town.

About me:- not quite 6'-2", hair not quite jet black and not as good looking as Cary Grant, Montgomery Clift, Marlon Brando or Karl Malden. Not a brilliant scholar but have read a few books, particularly fond of many of the writers your country has produced, and, as you may well know, the "South" might be the "mother lode".

I do hope we will meet and I pray we may have a lunch together. If I were to invite you to visit my hacienda, humble abode if you prefer, that would be sheer cheek on my part, however, if we do meet the brazen part of my make-up will overpower the shyness.

tom dow

nine PM and the big dog has been feeling the heat. He threw up so I thought, "ice cube", something cold and neutral. He liked the ice cube but would only lick it from my hand....it takes a dog a long time to finish an ice cube, palm of hand nearly frozen. Time for their walk and must do them one at a time...the little guy travels faster...he slept next to me last night, a born bully, hadtae keep stroking his belly.

tam

did things the day thit i was supposed tae,,,,income tax wull be submitted oan Monday, form for the supplement wull be handed in tae the proper department oan Monday...walked the dugs for a wee bit the night...a bit of shopping, chicken thighs for the dugs and I have rice in the cupboard,,,,new neighbour, very attractive, 51 years young, am surrounded by bloody kids. Finished the "Garden of Eden" and the local paper might print it, thon paper has been very guid tae me, printed everything I have sent in....only fly in the ointment is am hard pressed tae find a rent receipt...my rent at the last place was payed in advance so I got the receipt in September, realism tells me it wullnae be found.

cannae find anything by one of the posters, I was quite fond of her posts and wonder if she deleted everything.....

Did a bit of walking the day and needed a nap.....asleep at four thirty and didnae wake up until seven, thought it was tomorrow morning.

tam

did things the day thit i was supposed tae,,,,income tax wull be submitted oan Monday, form for the supplement wull be handed in tae the proper department oan Monday...walked the dugs for a wee bit the night...a bit of shopping, chicken thighs for the dugs and I have rice in the cupboard,,,,new neighbour, very attractive, 51 years young, am surrounded by bloody kids. Finished the "Garden of Eden" and the local paper might print it, thon paper has been very guid tae me, printed everything I have sent in....only fly in the ointment is am hard pressed tae find a rent receipt...my rent at the last place was payed in advance so I got the receipt in September, realism tells me it wullnae be found.

cannae find anything by one of the posters, I was quite fond of her posts and wonder if she deleted everything.....

Did a bit of walking the day and needed a nap.....asleep at four thirty and didnae wake up until seven, thought it was tomorrow morning.

tam

Glad you're getting through the chores, tam, and writing for the paper. That's great. I can't remember if we've had anyone deleting their posts but there is a limit to the amount of threads the forum can contain so older ones invariably go to make way for new stuff.

I keep seeing warnings in regards the harmful effects of bananas. My first taste of banana was during the second "war to end all wars", a friend of the family, navy man, brought one to us. The banana was placed in a drawer until ripe then cut into small slices; nae idea how many shared. And noo in my seventies and been eating bananas ever since, am wondering if I am immune tae what must be killing off thousands.

tam

I keep seeing warnings in regards the harmful effects of bananas. My first taste of banana was during the second "war to end all wars", a friend of the family, navy man, brought one to us. The banana was placed in a drawer until ripe then cut into small slices; nae idea how many shared. And noo in my seventies and been eating bananas ever since, am wondering if I am immune tae what must be killing off thousands.

tam

I thought that was a hoax, tam?

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blbananas.htm

Will this please a fair maiden ?

Dear Tracey's cousin:-

Your cousin Tracey is the darling of the senior citizens of Ridgetown. Tracey (use of the christian/first name is a family thing, my Father would not allow use of the diminutive pronoun "she" when any member of the family was referring to any female members) has told me of your upcoming visit and because I know something of you, I thought I should tell you a little about me.

About you, (please note the "ladies before gentlemen", old fashioned but hoping it might be an endearing plus:- very attractive, extremely pleasant, early sixties and single....WOW, you will be in great demand; and why not, you may be a one of a kind for the entire Chatham/Kent region. A native of Atlanta, a place I have had the pleasure of visiting.....visiting might be a tiny stretch, I drove a big truck and had deliveries to Atlanta and a couple of the smaller towns, Athens (?) comes to mind and I believe it was a university town.

About me:- not quite 6'-2", hair not quite jet black and not as good looking as Cary Grant, Montgomery Clift, Marlon Brando or Karl Malden. Not a brilliant scholar but have read a few books, particularly fond of many of the writers your country has produced, and, as you may well know, the "South" might be the "mother lode".

I do hope we will meet and I pray we may have a lunch together. If I were to invite you to visit my hacienda, humble abode if you prefer, that would be sheer cheek on my part, however, if we do meet the brazen part of my make-up will overpower the shyness.

tom dow

Let us know about any meeting, tam. I hope Tracey's cousin recognises you. :lol:

p.s. Naebody's as good looking as Montgomery Clift.

Am no sure aboot the bananas, Pat, jist thought it was part of a NEW and "wonderful" and invented diet.....and Canny, no sure attaw what I wid report as tae a meeting with a fair damsel; the lady may like a glass of wine, with dinner, so, mibee jist a lunch whaur wine, beer or spirits widnae be part of the menu.

Bridge this afternoon...walked the dogs this morning, had them for a wee while, a delightful pair.

tam

and see whit happens when yur no payin attention...time is noo 11.24 and me no showered nor shaved...PLUS....not one ironed shirt hanging in my closet.....an hour so nae time tae waste...but first, a cuppa.

tam

• 1 month later...

Ay, well, it has been awhile. My friend Harper did the last post oan this thread, 12th/July; is thon King Billy's day ?

A hellishly hot summer but the farmers are maistly pleased we the amount of rain, no thum aw though, one lassie thit has a veg stall at the farmers market, in answer tae my, "well am guessing that this year ye have enough rain" (last year half their soya beans had nae beans because of the lack of rain), says,"too much, some of the fields are flooded"...but she telt me that the saya bean plants are the biggest she has ever seen.

We had a wee spell of cooler temps, near a week of upper teens, and always a breeze in Ridgetown. Ahm thinking that winter is gannae be real and I wull get the skates oan...it has been a long time since I did my impersination of Bozo on skates.

Social life isnae what it was, thank God for bridge. Mind there is lots of time for writing, jist cannae get moving. Had a wee story started and it disappeared frae my desk top....widnae really mind but I was at a juncture when I knew there was going tae be a change of direction....and nae naughty bits.....mibee should add, so far....but it has gone.

And another great grand, anither wee boy, six handsome boys and three precious wee lassies......

tam

Ay, well, it has been awhile. My friend Harper did the last post oan this thread, 12th/July; is thon King Billy's day ?

A hellishly hot summer but the farmers are maistly pleased we the amount of rain, no thum aw though, one lassie thit has a veg stall at the farmers market, in answer tae my, "well am guessing that this year ye have enough rain" (last year half their soya beans had nae beans because of the lack of rain), says,"too much, some of the fields are flooded"...but she telt me that the saya bean plants are the biggest she has ever seen.

We had a wee spell of cooler temps, near a week of upper teens, and always a breeze in Ridgetown. Ahm thinking that winter is gannae be real and I wull get the skates oan...it has been a long time since I did my impersination of Bozo on skates.

Social life isnae what it was, thank God for bridge. Mind there is lots of time for writing, jist cannae get moving. Had a wee story started and it disappeared frae my desk top....widnae really mind but I was at a juncture when I knew there was going tae be a change of direction....and nae naughty bits.....mibee should add, so far....but it has gone.

And another great grand, anither wee boy, six handsome boys and three precious wee lassies......

tam

Congratulations on another wee boy, tam. That's lovely. Hope your story turns up.