Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

Next update we'll be hoping to hear of some hiking, tam. :)

I had great fun yesterday on Glasgow Green with Ryan and John at the Stonehenge Art Installation.

The crowd stood back to make way for a couple of newly weds Alison and Ewan Cameron, who had an enjoyable jump about in all their finery.

I'll post a photo when I've downloaded.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A wee bit less than an hour and I must be at the "seniors" to meet a lady of a certain age who is a very good bridge player. I had lots that needed done, this morning, and did nothing....but.....a guid thing happened. Through the kitchen windae I saw my neighbour walking with her dogs, caught her eye when she was coming home and she stopped in for a minute; treats for the dogs and mibee am gonnae get tae walk the dogs the morra....the "Lab" is ten past and quite slow, thee wee one is quite frisky and the pair seem tae like me well enough, mind it might be jist the treats they are fond of.

I ironed a shirt, earlier; am no too bad we an iron but the shirt is quite wet so am thinking am putting too much water intae the thing.

tam

bridge is gonnae be guid and if wur no in the top two the blame wull fall tae me.

Monday bridge was a disaster. Played Tuesday and Thursday at the centre so been coughing and headachee ever since. Thursday dinner at the tasty kitchen, lemon chicken, bean sprouts, egg roll (quite sma) and rice wee ither stuff....dinners for three and less than $20.00...a grand place tae eat.

The day is looking tae be tremendous, brilliant sunshine, a visit frae the lady we the dugs and bridge this aft.

Am at the kitchen windae, a wee bit earlier, a tiny bird lands oan the sill, sees me, cocks its wee heid and hops back and forth; nae fear so must be new born and wull soon learn that man isnae that friendly tae the animals.

Lookin at the wee bird and I see the lady we the dugs so open the door and they see me. The woman arrives a bit oot of breath and says, "they certainly recognize your door, dragged me most of the way".......the tail waggin is somethin and the tiny one now sits up tae have his chest scratched, he makes a gurnin sound when am daein the scratchin.

A guid lookin woman but nae romance, far too young for me even though she is a grandmother.

HH disnae seem tae be aroond much, a pity because he wid fit right in we Wullie, Tig and Rory......and I hope i huvnae frightened CannyLass awa.

I made a suggestion tae a number of ladies at the centre, must have been ten of them and the suggestion was that I have a "house warming party" we a tiny difference; mine wid be mair a series of parties with only one woman per night...the "house warming" met with approval, the "difference" didnae.

am awa

tam

Monday bridge was a disaster. Played Tuesday and Thursday at the centre so been coughing and headachee ever since. Thursday dinner at the tasty kitchen, lemon chicken, bean sprouts, egg roll (quite sma) and rice wee ither stuff....dinners for three and less than $20.00...a grand place tae eat.

The day is looking tae be tremendous, brilliant sunshine, a visit frae the lady we the dugs and bridge this aft.

Am at the kitchen windae, a wee bit earlier, a tiny bird lands oan the sill, sees me, cocks its wee heid and hops back and forth; nae fear so must be new born and wull soon learn that man isnae that friendly tae the animals.

Lookin at the wee bird and I see the lady we the dugs so open the door and they see me. The woman arrives a bit oot of breath and says, "they certainly recognize your door, dragged me most of the way".......the tail waggin is somethin and the tiny one now sits up tae have his chest scratched, he makes a gurnin sound when am daein the scratchin.

A guid lookin woman but nae romance, far too young for me even though she is a grandmother.

HH disnae seem tae be aroond much, a pity because he wid fit right in we Wullie, Tig and Rory......and I hope i huvnae frightened CannyLass awa.

I made a suggestion tae a number of ladies at the centre, must have been ten of them and the suggestion was that I have a "house warming party" we a tiny difference; mine wid be mair a series of parties with only one woman per night...the "house warming" met with approval, the "difference" didnae.

am awa

tam

Tam hope your cough and headache has disappeared. I've been a bit under the weather myself this week. I'd go for the one big shindig. Don't be frightening those women away.

Tam hope your cough and headache has disappeared. I've been a bit under the weather myself this week. I'd go for the one big shindig. Don't be frightening those women away.

Quick hello Tam. I hope you feel better soon and have the party with aw the lassies. :lol:

"this pregnant earth".......the line has been running through my head for a wee while. I thought it might be a line from a movie, an old movie, perhaps, "The Good Earth". Still not sure so "googled" and it seems the line is found in any number of poems, papers etc.

At this time of year, in this part of the country (and probably many countries), "this pregnant earth" is spot on the money. Countless fields are already turned and the seed companies have their sections started. The perfectly straight rows are a delight to the eye and the local college has smaller sections which match anything the giants do; "Pioneer" is probably the biggest in these parts.

A bit of most welcome rain, this morning; simply added to the pleasure of a drive to Thamesville for a Sunday morning meeting.

Considering my day from half five until now contentment reigns and now that the sprinkle of rain has passed it might be good if I started my wee plot....four tomato plants and a few cucumbers interspersed among the already blooming flowers.

tam

and if oany oh yees are heidin my way, dinnae forget tae gie us a shout.

Another good day, yesterday......even though it ended with a conversation where the other party gave me the impression she would like to have said, w...d....y....j....f....o, but perhaps just my imagination.

An Englishman I am acquainted with brought over some tomato plants which need to be planted. He is a long time resident of Ridgetown, taught in the local high school, is a good bridge player and the sort of man one would want as a friend.

A bit of rain, today. It was forecast and is needed, am just surprised that it is drizzling during the day, night is when we normally get rain.

Played bridge in Blenheim, yesterday afternoon. One lady was close to my age and the other six were older; the "did I deal that" ? was frequently heard; one lady was quite excited when she told me my name would be in the paper...and despite the advanced years there was some very good bridge played.

ch the time is runnin awa, am needing tae get a move oan because am playing this aftenoon at Art's, he is a clumsy resident who has a broken hip..........has a beautiful hoose.

tam

gonnae try and return later, afore the hockey game.....

Another good day, yesterday......even though it ended with a conversation where the other party gave me the impression she would like to have said, w...d....y....j....f....o, but perhaps just my imagination.

An Englishman I am acquainted with brought over some tomato plants which need to be planted. He is a long time resident of Ridgetown, taught in the local high school, is a good bridge player and the sort of man one would want as a friend.

A bit of rain, today. It was forecast and is needed, am just surprised that it is drizzling during the day, night is when we normally get rain.

Played bridge in Blenheim, yesterday afternoon. One lady was close to my age and the other six were older; the "did I deal that" ? was frequently heard; one lady was quite excited when she told me my name would be in the paper...and despite the advanced years there was some very good bridge played.

ch the time is runnin awa, am needing tae get a move oan because am playing this aftenoon at Art's, he is a clumsy resident who has a broken hip..........has a beautiful hoose.

tam

gonnae try and return later, afore the hockey game.....

Tam, you've got me in hysterics - between the clumsy resident wi' the beautiful hoose and the 'did I deal that'. The latter sounds like me, also I can relate to the clumsy. Hope the tomatoes thrive. It's still winter her. The worse May ever. I think it was May you were here a few years back when you helped me at the allotment.

Does anyone know anything about Greece ? Living in penury will be a reality, very soon, however, there is a seat sale right now and I fly both ways , Toronto to Athens for less than $700.00 and that includes all taxes. Any clues as tae where decent accommodations can be found....not sure if it would be cheaper to be on the coast as opposed tae the capitol.

The thinking here is that I might as well have a guid holiday, create a few guid memories afore the finances are completely gone.

tam

Does anyone know anything about Greece ? Living in penury will be a reality, very soon, however, there is a seat sale right now and I fly both ways , Toronto to Athens for less than $700.00 and that includes all taxes. Any clues as tae where decent accommodations can be found....not sure if it would be cheaper to be on the coast as opposed tae the capitol.

The thinking here is that I might as well have a guid holiday, create a few guid memories afore the finances are completely gone.

tam

I've only been to Greece once, tam. It was in the 80s, so a while back. I was there for almost four weeks and I loved it. I visited a few islands and also Athens. I particularly liked Paros, which was really lovely.

There are many beautiful islands that I would love to see, particularly Kos, Santorini, Crete and Rhodes. If I was you I would spend a short time in Athens then to the port Piraeus and catch a boat to the islands.

We only really see people in the cities in the News and they seem pretty disgruntled. You can't blame them.

I know Greece well and have to tell you Tam, it is not cheap these days and god knows what is happening with the Euro crisis.

I particularly like Samos, Thassos, Parga, Skiathos and Paxos. Santorini is stuning but very touristy, as is Rhodes and Corfu. It really depends what you are looking for.

Pat's idea of hopping a ferry from Athens is the way many of us discovered the Greek Islands. If you travel with an open heart and plenty of euros, it's hard to go wrong.

Slowing down, perhaps best to forget Greeece, for the time being.......why aam I tthinking "Never on a Sunday" ? Was thaat not from a movie which staarred a glorious looking woman who became a member of the Greek legislature ?

tam

One of my brothers teaches swimming and he was explaining to a child that only the crown of his head was to be out of the water. The child didn't look as though he understood so he asked the him what the name was for the top of his head and the reply was: "the lid". :lol: Makes sense though!

Sunday, 20th./May......

Tomatoes plants are in the groung, two days now, watered and manure at each one. Put the four where they will get the morning sune and gonnae get more tae put in oan the west side of the hoose.

A Blenheim lady remembered me from bingo and asked if I was going next month. I said that I thought so. I then asked about the back seat of the bus and was necking aloud. She wasn't sure because no one had ever done any necking in the past. I said I would bring mints, she giggled and said, "see you on the bus".

I have been doing a bit of walking; about seven minutes to the post office and I have walked it four times this past week.

Temps are getting right up there....last night, as I was leaving timmies, I noticed the billboard had the temp at 29 and this afternoon it was the same; thank goodness for the breeze.

I have been watching the ice hockey play-offs. All of the major arenas are named after banks, insurance companies or big businesss.....to have an arena named for your organization is quite costly, initial payments are estimated at one million dollars: anyone have an answer as to why these organization, all of them whining about taxes and begging for handouts, would through share holder money at sports where the worst players are getting a million dollars a year.

I am into forth week of bachelorhood and not enjoying it, however not yet ready to attempt another relationship...or...naebody is the least bit interest in a slow witted auld man of seventy-four....mibee need tae shine the shoes and double my intake of mints.

Duplicate bridge tomorrow, and it is a holiday, Victoria Day is moved from the twenty-fourth tae the twenty-first tae gie thais that have earned it, a long weekend. And mind when ye retire ye dinnae get thais paid holidays.

I need tae remember tae dae my income tax...should have been in before the end of April.

tam

and speaking of the wise replies by children:-

A Sunday school teacher is telling a group of five to eight year old children, about Jonah......She is talking to a young girl and asks her if she believes Jonah was actually swallowed by a whale....the little girl says "yes" no equivocation....the teacher asks if she can ever prove her belief and the little girl says, "when I go to heaven, I will ask Jonah" and the teacher says, "suppose Jonah isn't in heaven" and the little girl says, "then you ask him".

tam

Ironing:- it has been said there is a lot of satisfaction when one has properly ironed a man's shirt; not sure about that. However, for those who have trouble with shirts, a tip.

Iron, to the best of your ability, those parts which people will notice. The collar is not difficult. Flatten the collar with the outside facing the ironing board, hold one edge and run the iron over the entire length; far too much steam is not a problem, hang the shirt and have a cuppa.

Cuppa finished, you fold the collar and run the iron ove it about ten times. The side panels and back are not too difficult if you use the pointy end of the ironing board to hold the in place....side panels and back should be ironed one piece at a time. NB: if the back has one of those tiny fold near the top, DO NOT attempt to remove the wrinkles from the wee part, a waste of bloody time, honest.

The sleeves are NOT difficult if you follow my directions. Sleeves one at a time, we are old and no longer in a rush to get the damned thing ironed because the CO's parade is only fifteen minutes away.....(men in service were wont to do the sleeves as one).

The cuff first and do both sides, take your time because this is the part which will show. Now spread the sleeve and make sure the top and the part which runs down to the bottom five or six inches is smooth, iron that part well and forget the rest but do remember when you wear this shirt, roll the sleeves up.

And occasionally wear a wrinkled shirt, this may bring offers of help, then again it has brought no offers of any kind to me.

Ironing:- it has been said there is a lot of satisfaction when one has properly ironed a man's shirt; not sure about that. However, for those who have trouble with shirts, a tip.

Iron, to the best of your ability, those parts which people will notice. The collar is not difficult. Flatten the collar with the outside facing the ironing board, hold one edge and run the iron over the entire length; far too much steam is not a problem, hang the shirt and have a cuppa.

Cuppa finished, you fold the collar and run the iron ove it about ten times. The side panels and back are not too difficult if you use the pointy end of the ironing board to hold the in place....side panels and back should be ironed one piece at a time. NB: if the back has one of those tiny fold near the top, DO NOT attempt to remove the wrinkles from the wee part, a waste of bloody time, honest.

The sleeves are NOT difficult if you follow my directions. Sleeves one at a time, we are old and no longer in a rush to get the damned thing ironed because the CO's parade is only fifteen minutes away.....(men in service were wont to do the sleeves as one).

The cuff first and do both sides, take your time because this is the part which will show. Now spread the sleeve and make sure the top and the part which runs down to the bottom five or six inches is smooth, iron that part well and forget the rest but do remember when you wear this shirt, roll the sleeves up.

And occasionally wear a wrinkled shirt, this may bring offers of help, then again it has brought no offers of any kind to me.

You're highly skilled, tam. Some people swear that if they tumble clothes dry that nothing needs ironed. I've never managed to achieve this result.

You're highly skilled, tam. Some people swear that if they tumble clothes dry that nothing needs ironed. I've never managed to achieve this result.

Me,I make a mad dash for the tumble dryer as soon as it stops. Try to get as much out quick n onto hangers before they wrinkle but still have a few items that need a run over wi an iron.If we don't need them immediately, lol I put in them in a big bag and wait until I have enough to treat myself with a trip to an Ironing Service. Sorted

Hingmie, you have made my day. The bridge was awful and we cannot blame the cards. Now home for what I thought was the evening and a hockey game on the telly.....but....a meeting beckons. But you, the lady with the beautiful complexion and a deft turn of phrase, has posted....7.25 PM so must be off.

tam

Yesterday I walked tae the shops and was caught in the rain, had tae come hame tae change my shirt afore going to Blenheim for some vitals...."vitals" first usage seems tae have happened 1610 and had tae dae we vital organs....i remember it from old western movies, Gabby Hayes mibee, and it meant food.

London Ontario, a roast beef dinner. Also tae finally meet a daughters new wee dug, also a Doberman pup belonging tae a grandson.

Middle tae high twenties for the rest of the week, one exception is Thursday when the high is tae be sixteen...and rain, the gentle falling nectar needed to make the filds come alive....mind the fields urnae daein too bad the noo, soya beans are three or four inches high.

Getting tae baby sit two dugs, mibee Wednesday and Thursday....need tae explain tae the lovely owner thit Tuesday widnae be a problem......and oany of you lot heidin my way, take heed, if ye cannae abide dugs, stay awa until the followin week.

tam