Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

I am very proud. Me, the non gardener planted out a 2 tubs and two window boxes of butterfly lavender and white climbing roses. *preens*

Frightened the cat, prancing round the garden to this ....well, how could ye no?

My gawd, you should see the state of my nails.... :lol:

*Waves to Tam if he's lookin' in. * I am sure we'll get an update....

Good for you, harper. I'll watch out for a progress report on the gardening thread. :)

Lavendar and white roses - what a beautiful combination.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aye, apparently Wales are offering to sell some to us.... :rolleyes:

Our's is better, and a more valuable commodity than oil. I hear we have that too. :rolleyes:

How come all you hear is folk no working?

This has got to be the best feel good story this year. I love it. My son loves it. His pals, big stapping, 6 foot lads, love it. London has fallen in love with this story and everyone is mad for Bob.

Most famous cat since Dick Whittington's cat....:lol:

http://www.thisislon...at-7573094.html

Lovely story, harper, and great photograph.

am peekin in and wha shuid i find (?), jist two of my favourite ladies in the entire wurld.....and a right guid morning tae everyone. Am "resolved"....noo is that not the maist ridiculous word for an auld alky tae use;spent the better part of my life being determined tae dae this that and the next thing and ended up daein nothing....Oanyway, time marches on and aw that. Did my wee prayer, this mornin, jist hope tae stay sober the day and accept the changes in my life....reasonably sure thit changes wull be for the better....some things am gonnae miss but, tae dae a wee bit of the auld testament, "this too shall pass".

This past winter wasnae real, hardly any snow and never a period of freezing long enough tae make an outdoor rink. The day has started with brilliant sunshine and the temp is supposed tae reach near sixty, seventies by the end of the week. Farmers have maist of the fields turned and am guessing that naebody is gonnae wait until 24th/May tae be daein the planting; am daein four tomato plants and trying an experiment: putting one intae the ground, next week, leaving the other three in the fridge.....gonnae plant thais one a week; jist trying tae deter the growth of some tae see if I get a steady supply......was gonnae add, "hope that is mair successful than my love life" but that wid definitely diminish aw the grand times of the past year and four months, and that jist widnae dae.

I am using the auld mac but have been getting acquainted with the ipad (a present from one of my lassies)....even used a book the an English woman bought for me.....amazing how simple things are if ye follow directions......no something am guid at.

I have come to terms with something I am bound tae dae for the rest of my life......am oan the ipad (earlier the day) and decide tae re-heat last night's tea....a mug of tea intae the microwave and it is forgotten until I look at the microwave tae get the time, nae time jist a message the tells me my meal is ready.......I re-heat.....later I move tae the mac and decide oan a cup of tea....oh dear, furst cup is still in microwave....re-heat again and this time i watch the seconds tick away.....i notice that the platform in the microwave isnae turning (thon happens a lot)....tea at hand I re-start the ipad....cannae mind when I brought myself and my tea tae the mac but the tea is bloody cold........it might be an age thing.....

Am off tae a meeting at a treatment centre....does me a world of good tae attend thais meetings, maistly young folk.

tam

PS I have sent an e-mail tae a guid friend....said e-mail asks if he/she is aware of any lonely, single, ladies of a certain age in need of company and a place to lay their heads...or, married ladies not encumbered by a lot of scruples.....so far i havnae received an answer.

and noo am daein two posts on the same day.......seems am gonnae slip back intae my auld life with ease; am using the auld mac, re-heating tea in the microwave and forgetting aboot it, bought a scratch ticket tae dae at tim hortons and like the auld days it was a loser.

Had bacon and eggs for breakfast. Didnae make toast because it is a guid bread and well suited tae butter and jam. Didnae have jam as there was opened marmalade in the fridge. A friend bought the marmalade; Robertsons, a guid buy.

Soon be time for the hockey and am lookin forward tae that....mind if it isnae a guid game i might jist go for a walk or mibee open my treasure trove of memories.

Brilliant day here and the young folk are wearing shorts; am gonnae wait till it gets tae be a wee bit warmer....

tam

and noo am daein two posts on the same day.......seems am gonnae slip back intae my auld life with ease; am using the auld mac, re-heating tea in the microwave and forgetting aboot it, bought a scratch ticket tae dae at tim hortons and like the auld days it was a loser.

Had bacon and eggs for breakfast. Didnae make toast because it is a guid bread and well suited tae butter and jam. Didnae have jam as there was opened marmalade in the fridge. A friend bought the marmalade; Robertsons, a guid buy.

Soon be time for the hockey and am lookin forward tae that....mind if it isnae a guid game i might jist go for a walk or mibee open my treasure trove of memories.

Brilliant day here and the young folk are wearing shorts; am gonnae wait till it gets tae be a wee bit warmer....

tam

Shouldn't be long now until your temperatures shoot up in Ontario, tam, so get those shorts pressed. In the meantime keep cheery -open the jam and the marmalade, make toast, even when the bread is fresh and treat yourself to a fresh cup of tea. That reheated tea must taste terrible.

Harper: bridge is a wonderful game...the "conventions" can be a pain; too many folk using the "conventions" with no idea what is what....the folk in Woking were very good to me and some did "bid" more in the way North Americans do. At duplicate you are allowed to ask a player what he/she understands from that persons partners last bid.....one evening I was asked and said, "how in hell would I know, you English have your own systems".

tam

and they never kicked me out.

Harper: bridge is a wonderful game...the "conventions" can be a pain; too many folk using the "conventions" with no idea what is what....the folk in Woking were very good to me and some did "bid" more in the way North Americans do. At duplicate you are allowed to ask a player what he/she understands from that persons partners last bid.....one evening I was asked and said, "how in hell would I know, you English have your own systems".

tam

and they never kicked me out.

Is there a Scottish system? That will definitely confuse them, tam.

no sure about a "Scottish system" Pat but one ofmmy partners is frae Grangemouth (originally Fife and he isnaae tthe least bit ashamed of that)......amm daein this oan the ipad and noticed am creatin lots of ddouble lettteerrs....seems at times thit I reallyy can bee heavy handed.

A weee bit overcast but no we thais dark, forrbiding cloudds.....mibee a sprinkle or two and tthat wull suit maist.

I kent nothin aboot Ridgetowwn aaforee coming here but the arrea is ssstocked mainly by desscendents of Scots;mair Macs, Mcs than ye wid find in Galloway.

Started the day with somme chocolate and noo waiting for the second cup of coffee tae re-heat.

I bought some dog treats and yesteerday made inroads as tae cementing a warm bond between mahsel a golden lab and a wee mix: the attractiveness of thee owner has nothin tae dae with my apparantt .generosity.

And a duplicate bridge day.........managed tae find a partner who ccanreallyplay the game, one of thebestplayers in thisarea......a womman aanaw.

tam

no sure about a "Scottish system" Pat but one ofmmy partners is frae Grangemouth (originally Fife and he isnaae tthe least bit ashamed of that)......amm daein this oan the ipad and noticed am creatin lots of ddouble lettteerrs....seems at times thit I reallyy can bee heavy handed.

A weee bit overcast but no we thais dark, forrbiding cloudds.....mibee a sprinkle or two and tthat wull suit maist.

I kent nothin aboot Ridgetowwn aaforee coming here but the arrea is ssstocked mainly by desscendents of Scots;mair Macs, Mcs than ye wid find in Galloway.

Started the day with somme chocolate and noo waiting for the second cup of coffee tae re-heat.

I bought some dog treats and yesteerday made inroads as tae cementing a warm bond between mahsel a golden lab and a wee mix: the attractiveness of thee owner has nothin tae dae with my apparantt .generosity.

And a duplicate bridge day.........managed tae find a partner who ccanreallyplay the game, one of thebestplayers in thisarea......a womman aanaw.

tam

tam, tam, tam, what are you doing with a partner that canny really play the game. I take it she's a charmer. Don't be offering her any dog treats or reheats. :lol:

My "partner" for the day's duplicate is a very good player. And, by thursday, we are supposed to get a temperature of 23 celsius; somewhere in the seventies, I believe, and Ridgetown is almost always blessed with a breeze....we urnae far frae Lake Erie.

tam

And a "Happy May Day" tae all....was gonnae dae this on the thread started by Pat but knew I widnae stay oan topic.

London, Ontario weather predictions say, 18 today, 22 tomorrow, Thursday and Friday 25. And here in Ridgetown (the wonderful wee toun whaur I have a gorgeous, one bedroom apartment am willing tae share for a wee while; and I should add this sharing is offered to man or woman with one minor stipulation....men bring yur ain bed and be prepared tae move with alacrity should a lady arrive).

Up and oot the bed at a few minutes after six or mibee before six because it was still a wee bit dark. Gradual light and a mist oot the back windae; tis a lovely sight. Fresh tea in hand and a fast game of freecell beckoned....my freecell isnae working and nae idea why; oanyone using freecell.net not having problems, please let me know.

Still a bit overcast and off in the distance the greyness seems tae indicate rain on the lake....I noticed this when I was doing last nights dishes....N.B. ladies please notice that I do dishes and sometimes put the toilet seat down. A lovely meal last evening included, "sloppy Joes with bacon, chips and water"....ice cream (Rolo) followed as I watched the hockey game.

A splendid day of bridge and my partner agreed to have coffee with me, after the games were ended....coffee at Tim Hortons is a good way to pass a very pleasant hour.

My goodness I just noticed it is almost 10 AM and am no dressed yet.......but, "so what", am retired and nothing scheduled for the day, nae bridge for me because if I spend too much time at the senior centre, the coughing starts and seems tae take a long time afore it stops.

The price of gasoline has gone way past a joke....$10.00 (the add petrol light came on) and the guage didnae even reach a quarter of a tank.....the price works oot tae near five dollars a gallon.

I suppose I could cook some bacon, eggs and throw in a few chips (tatties awready pealed and sliced) but, nae chance of meeting a lovely, lonely damsel in the apartment....so, off tae "timmies".

And this weekend I might be off tae Lake Huron, one of my lassies has a trailer within a ten minute walk to the lake; a really lovely spot.

tam

I hope there are a number of good posts about Stephen Hendry...the man is pure class.

tam

Don't hold back, tam. You can start a thread.:)

Hendry might not be everyones cup of tea but "captivating" he was to many people. It seems the man could not abide losing but did try very hard to vent his spleen in private. Mordecai Richler wrote a good book on snooker, a book (a long time since I read it) which brought Mordecai to Scotland; Mordecai was already a huge fan of "whisky" and snooker. While in Scotland he had an affair with Laphroaig and did some good stuff on a number of snooker players.

For Hendry to reach such a high level of skill at a very early age it is a miracle he didn't become a "Tyson" or a "McEnroe". And for those who like "numbers", his are most impressive.

I did read his "reasons" for retiring and one of his friends thought he should have retired a year ago. Perhaps the friend was right; the loss of skill was apparent to many......but the "one more kick of the can" wid be awfy difficult for Hendry tae pass up.

tam

PS a bridge day with a man who has a broken hip.....some might think am being nice but the being nice never entered my heid; an afternoon of bridge in a smoke free environment isnae tae be missed.

27 degrees iis coming, too nice a day for indoors:-

Good-morning to everyone:- a magnificent day; a glance at the time tells me I have been out of bed for two hours, two hours of day dreaming, marveling at this that and all the goodness which surrounds me, a time not wasted.

The kitchen window looks out at a field. The sky above the out of sight lake has one of those huge, billowing, pure white clouds, beautiful, made me think of "Magee", "John Gillespie Magee". The third line of his "High Flight" is "sunwards i've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds": only nineteen years old when he "gave his life"....damned wars. But he did leave for all time "High Flight", something worth reading.

To be continued......

Sunday:- (early May)....A lazy day and a look back says; BBBOOOOORRRRIINNG. Did nothing, never left the house and the day looks gorgeous, perhaps a waste. I had a late breakfast and ate at my lunch counter; first time the lunch counter has been used since my company departed.

Breakfasted on, bacon, eggs, two slices of toast (one slathered with strawberry jam) and tea. Looked at some web sites....no-one on glasgowwestend and no-one on facebook in the early part of the day. Facebook had a post I really wanted to see, the newly hatched blue-tits of Woking, but my ipad does not have "flash player".

Spent a wee while ruminating on an unrequited love....so very grateful for this past seventeen months and I know that this ennui will pass.

Bingo yesterday:- a bus load of old people looking for something to do and a little surprised that I was one of them....bingo is not really my thing but there were only three men for twenty something women.....good odds so mibee go again next month.

Surprised at CBC. They are my satellite providers and I did buy a six month package including the "movie network"...six channels and some extremely raunchy movies.

Saint Johnstone urnae going tae the continent.

Flakey pastry with strawberry filling is delicious with ice-cream....first time with "Breyers, cookies and cream" and the second time with the remainder of Breyers and a scoop or two of "Neilsons Rolo" ice cream.

Talked tae a niece who lives in Perth....wid ye believe that this auld man still gets hamesick.

My waist isnae what it was. Mibee that should be "is what is was only twice the circumference.

sleep well

tam