Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

I'm not a great fan of the World Cup series, more of a Six Nations fan myself but great win for New Zeland in the World Cup Rugby Final. (NZ 8 France 7).

My tickets for the 2012 (Six Nations) Calcutta Cup will be dropping through the door any day now. Murrayfield here I come! :D :D

Hope you'll be paying a visit to Glasgow and hope our nation wins. Is that too much to hope for?

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

WW1:- Guid oan Harper tae start the thread aboot WW1......I really didnae want tae add tae the thread, jist wanted tae leave it as the guid lady posted.

An awful, bloody war. As was the American Civil War, but that is a different topic. Am no sure of the name but think it is Barbara Tuchman (mibee Margaret) who wrote "Guns of August" and pretty sure thit Timothy Findley wrote "The Wars"......both should be required reading for anyone who stands for election.

tam

and noo I am proud that I did not go on and on......it is a subject which can get me going....and it is one war thit England/Britain didnae want.....six nations and Britain really tried tae find a peaceful solution.

17th/November is an anniversary for me; fifty-eight years ago I sailed from Southhampton to Levis Quebec; an exciting time for a lad approaching his sixteenth birthday.

And for almost this past year I have been allowed the privilege of living in paradise: t'was wonderful and nae crystal ball tae tell e whit the future holds.

Ahm no sure aboot the official winter but the weather has turned a bit cooler, guid enough tae dae the groundwork for an outdoor rink and me withoot a backyard......a high of 4 and a low of 1.

The lovely trees of Ridgetown have maistly shed their leaves but thurs enough evergreens tae please me, the blue spruce (?) ootside the windae is a pretty damsel and I wull try and get somebody tae post a photae.....ahm no sure it is a "blue spruce" but wull mak inquiries.

Jist looked at the time and it is galloping by, been oot the bed for mair than two oors and nae idea whaur the time goes.

a bridge day but should return a wee bit later in the day.

tam

PS am awfy glad yees are still here

17th/November is an anniversary for me; fifty-eight years ago I sailed from Southhampton to Levis Quebec; an exciting time for a lad approaching his sixteenth birthday.

And for almost this past year I have been allowed the privilege of living in paradise: t'was wonderful and nae crystal ball tae tell e whit the future holds.

Ahm no sure aboot the official winter but the weather has turned a bit cooler, guid enough tae dae the groundwork for an outdoor rink and me withoot a backyard......a high of 4 and a low of 1.

The lovely trees of Ridgetown have maistly shed their leaves but thurs enough evergreens tae please me, the blue spruce (?) ootside the windae is a pretty damsel and I wull try and get somebody tae post a photae.....ahm no sure it is a "blue spruce" but wull mak inquiries.

Jist looked at the time and it is galloping by, been oot the bed for mair than two oors and nae idea whaur the time goes.

a bridge day but should return a wee bit later in the day.

tam

PS am awfy glad yees are still here

Glad you're still here too, tam, and what an anniversary. That must have been some voyage. Full of anticipation and maybe a wee bit of trepidation.

It's a miserable old day here and I have the cold from hell to go with it. :(

Eight PM and all is well:- A good afternoon at the seniors although failed miserably at bridge. But we had a lot of laughs. After coffee decided to visit the flu shot place. A very attractive fortyish lady asked that I remove my jacket, then my sweater and finally shirt; I told her, "this is starting to get exciting" and she replied, "and this is as far as we go". She delivered my jag with such tenderness I felt nothing. But perhaps she was setting me up for harsher treatment at another table.

She had asked if I were left or right handed and explained that she would put the flu shot into the arm I used secondary; made sense until she asked if I had ever had a pneumonia shot, which I had not.

This meant that the pneumonia jag would be administered into the other arm: the second jag does not tickle.

Still and all, no side effect. A short drive back to the flat and my left over panzurotti. Tidied up a few dishes and discovered that my pneumonia jag recipient would not move more than three inches above my waist......I did think to call the college (where the needle folk worked)but hadalready made inquiries as to the procedure if one has late coming side effects......a man told me they would send a nurse and he was the nurse they would send.

An early night is what I will have....but first...."Tim Horton's" for a "French Vanilla Cappacino Supreme".

tam

Eight PM and all is well:- A good afternoon at the seniors although failed miserably at bridge. But we had a lot of laughs. After coffee decided to visit the flu shot place. A very attractive fortyish lady asked that I remove my jacket, then my sweater and finally shirt; I told her, "this is starting to get exciting" and she replied, "and this is as far as we go". She delivered my jag with such tenderness I felt nothing. But perhaps she was setting me up for harsher treatment at another table.

She had asked if I were left or right handed and explained that she would put the flu shot into the arm I used secondary; made sense until she asked if I had ever had a pneumonia shot, which I had not.

This meant that the pneumonia jag would be administered into the other arm: the second jag does not tickle.

Still and all, no side effect. A short drive back to the flat and my left over panzurotti. Tidied up a few dishes and discovered that my pneumonia jag recipient would not move more than three inches above my waist......I did think to call the college (where the needle folk worked)but hadalready made inquiries as to the procedure if one has late coming side effects......a man told me they would send a nurse and he was the nurse they would send.

An early night is what I will have....but first...."Tim Horton's" for a "French Vanilla Cappacino Supreme".

tam

Hope the French Vanilla Cappuccino Supreme did the trick, tam, and that you are fine today. I got the two jags as well. The pneumonia is a one off. My arms felt a tiny bit achy for a day or two. I wish they had a jag for the cold as I have rotten stoater. I've hardly slept a wink for coughing.

The bridge sounds like fun. :)

Using the imac......hooked it a few minutes ago. I now have my contacts list, e-mail addresses and a few posts which are not complete. A magnificent day in Ridgetown, t-shirt weather, brilliant sunshine and some of the prettiest ladies in the Northern Hemisphere: a day whaur ivery person wull be in a guid mood.

The new stove is being hooked up and am buying a turkey, gonnae gie stuffing a try or mibee go we the packaged stuffing which isnae too bad.

I have nothing planned for the day, nae appointments and nothing pressing which needs tended tae.......mind my English lady wid say, "are you completely unpacked, are your clothes in drawers, have you found your trousers and so on....and i wid answer, nae time for the trivialities am awa oot.

tam

therapy:--------

it's whit am here for. Nae idea whit's botherin me but I have been oot the bed since afore five AM accompanied with the blahs, ennui or whitever it is. Whisht i cuid say it is because am missin someone but am resigned tae a very long separation; also a full day awaits and all of my daeins the day are things I look forward tae, time at the seniors, duplicate bridge and a dinner we a host of guid folk. And it cannae be the "season": mind ay wullnae be able tae afford a lot of cash for gifts but thais ahm giein tae dinnae expect much.

So....am here and I looked in a wee while ago.....jist nothin tae say and that disnae happen too often.

tam

Mind there is a $21 million jackpot the night and am thinking of buyin a ticket......be an awfy worry havin that much money tae dole oot....ay, well, mibee no buy a ticket and be worry free.

I think there is a lot of angst aorund that the moment Tam.

For all the tinsel and baubles, this is not my favourite time of year. I tend to get a bit crabbit and I never really know what's bothering me. Memories of Christmas past, perhaps and people who are no longer with us or part of my life.

Whatever is giving you the grumps, don't be hard on yourself, Tam. It's a weird time of year - lots of mixed feelings around. It will all be tickity boo, come January.

First dibs on theat winning ticket tho' :P

Harper, my very own friend:- Agreed we "the time of year", it does seem to alter ones thinking. It's funny the things which wur runnin through my mind; the man thit recently died, a special person tae me; meeting Oz and thinkin, "am never gonnae see him again"; anithur year, ay the toilet roll analogy, "closer ye get tae the end, the quicker it goes", so annoyingly true, and so on.

But, as one of the old testaments kings was told by his wise men, "this too shall pass" and the blahs dae that, they left soon after a wee post oan glasgowwestend and wur trampled intae dust by a post frae my dear friend.

Lots and lots of good stuff came my way this past year; cannae get over aw that has happened and nae idea who said "an old dog cannae learn new tricks" but he/she wull need tae re-think thon. Twas a year of magic.

Aboot Christmas time last year am ootside an apartment building waiting for a lady tae move her car so thit I could park...she was blocking two spaces. I get out of the car, a van actually and not mine; I had taken the owner and his better half to the Chatham train station and was returning his van to the parking lot he used. I go towards the lady in the car blocking the spaces and discover it is, "Bea" and elderly lady who on occasion would be a fourth for bridge, one of those wonderful people who fill in when needed. She is a character, a gem, a class act with a guid sense of humour...and she knows I am going to England on the 26th/December.

"Ah", shesays, "it's you, I hear your going to England" and then adds, "your not seeing anyone, are you" and it was more of a statement than a question. "I tell her, "no Bea, not seeing anyone, going to England to visit a niece and will attend a saga zone meet at Sutton Coldfields" I then explain that the meet is when a group of "zoners" meet for lunch or whatever: the Sutton Coldfields meet was "Twixmas", held over two nights at an inn. Bea says, "any women go to these meets" ? and I tell her, "yes, this meet will have forty-seven women for each man" and with a twinkle in her eye and a very straight face she says, "with those odds even you stand a chance". One lovely lady.

A grand day an evening, yesterday....and another guid day the day.

tam

SNOW, our first snow of the winter. I was up until twoish, Broken sleep until sixish and then slept until a few minutes ago. 10.15 and I look oot the windae at the Blue Pine and it is adorned with a sprinkling of the white stuff; gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous. The blahs are awa......

tam

SNOW, our first snow of the winter. I was up until twoish, Broken sleep until sixish and then slept until a few minutes ago. 10.15 and I look oot the windae at the Blue Pine and it is adorned with a sprinkling of the white stuff; gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous. The blahs are awa......

tam

Sounds lovely, tam. My sister phoned me today so no snow so far in Oakville.

Keep cosy.:)

Thank heavens the rain is off here - for a wee while anyway.

I'm hoping for a white Christmas here. I love getting up in the morning and looking out of the window to see the whole of the place completely changed and covered in thick, white snow. It makes such a great change from the usual thousand shades of grey. I know it can cause practical difficulties and hardship for some but I do think there's something magical about a fresh fall of snow especially this time of year.

I'm hoping for a white Christmas here. I love getting up in the morning and looking out of the window to see the whole of the place completely changed and covered in thick, white snow. It makes such a great change from the usual thousand shades of grey. I know it can cause practical difficulties and hardship for some but I do think there's something magical about a fresh fall of snow especially this time of year.

:lol: That's the theory, gladtae, and it can indeed look 'magical' but remember this time last year? We were trapped at home because pavements and roads were treacherous. Still a White Christmas hold a certain appeal and we had fun building all those snowmen. :)

I am willing to bet Ridgetown will have a white Christmas. Mind there was rain the day and when I noticed, my first thought was "bloody rain". Noo weather hasnae bothert me for a long time so "bloody rain" isnae a guid attitude for me.

Nae travels for a while though am sure I wull manage one trip tae someplace. Mibee see Glasgow and Perth come springtime.

I have one more shot at the pretend carer of my late sister. Found out a few mair things though tae tell the truth am no that worried; love tae see her go tae gaol and wid love tae see two firms of solicitors disbarred but cannae see it happening in my lifetime; far too many members of parliament are solicitors.

Weather for the forthcoming week has temps getting nae warmer than four degrees; means the nights wull be guid tae freeze the ponds.

Funny thit when I was on my ain, after the divorce, I wasnae that concerned. Then I met someone and we saw each other many times. Noo am oan my ain again and it disnae feel that guid....mind we are still friends but that isnae the same as what it was. So, I had better mak mahsel busy and tae that end am volunteering tae serve at a church dinner. A guid friend says she wull pay for my dinner and she and her better half took me tae the Christmas dinner last year...so it was after the Christmas dinner last year thit I met someone so mibee after the church dinner thit am volunteering for, wha kens, mibee, jist mibee.

Tomorrow morning I am making fritters for the lady who runs the senior centre...a married lady, very young and happy with her marriage so there are nae ulterior motives....mind the volunteering might be seen in a wee bit different light.

I havnae much tae say really, mibee better the morra.

tam

I am willing to bet Ridgetown will have a white Christmas. Mind there was rain the day and when I noticed, my first thought was "bloody rain". Noo weather hasnae bothert me for a long time so "bloody rain" isnae a guid attitude for me.

Nae travels for a while though am sure I wull manage one trip tae someplace. Mibee see Glasgow and Perth come springtime.

I have one more shot at the pretend carer of my late sister. Found out a few mair things though tae tell the truth am no that worried; love tae see her go tae gaol and wid love tae see two firms of solicitors disbarred but cannae see it happening in my lifetime; far too many members of parliament are solicitors.

Weather for the forthcoming week has temps getting nae warmer than four degrees; means the nights wull be guid tae freeze the ponds.

Funny thit when I was on my ain, after the divorce, I wasnae that concerned. Then I met someone and we saw each other many times. Noo am oan my ain again and it disnae feel that guid....mind we are still friends but that isnae the same as what it was. So, I had better mak mahsel busy and tae that end am volunteering tae serve at a church dinner. A guid friend says she wull pay for my dinner and she and her better half took me tae the Christmas dinner last year...so it was after the Christmas dinner last year thit I met someone so mibee after the church dinner thit am volunteering for, wha kens, mibee, jist mibee.

Tomorrow morning I am making fritters for the lady who runs the senior centre...a married lady, very young and happy with her marriage so there are nae ulterior motives....mind the volunteering might be seen in a wee bit different light.

I havnae much tae say really, mibee better the morra.

tam

Maybe a combined approach with the volunteers and fritters will do the trick, tam.

We have snow. Looks lovely but not a thick blanket on the ground - no snowman weather.

Mibee an age thing, and why not, had a doctor for a time who always said, nae matter the problem, "well, it's your age": see i went tae bed quite early, did that tae get away from the computer where I was wastin away lookin for an e-mail thit wisnae ever gonnae come. I woke up a wee bit after nine and wondered why it was still dark ootside...the wrong nine, twasnae the morning but the evening nine.

Decided tae have some hot cereal and looked ootside tae see if it was garbage pick-up day on Tuesday; it is and my garbage is at the side of the kerb. It is snowing, the morra the wee toun wull look like a winter wonderland, a lovely sight and so very peaceful,

And tae add tae the guid feelings, two of my favourite people in the entire world have been in touch, my two eldest daughters; mibee wur gonnae meet oan Christmas, Christmas day even.

Did oany of yees see the photaes of the greatgranddaughters furst birthday ?.......a bonnie lassie thit has the look of someone who is loved and is aware of that....a happy wee lass.

Earlier this morning I made a few fritters for a couple of folk at the centre...rave reviews so i was able tae spend a few minutes bein pleased we mahsel. And speaking of food ahm in the midst of plentiful bounty, four catered dinners over a period of thirteen days; mind they urnae completely free and the one this Wednesday am being a helper.

Am still enjoying thoughts of this past year, cannae believe thit this auld man should be sae fortunate: the thought has occurred thit "we will not see this time again", but mibee, ahm thinkin if it happened once there is always the possibility of it happening again we an entire new cast.

Youse lot wull have a grand December and I hope that wull include yeese seein each other...mibee yeese could meet at some Tandori place.

tam

Saint Johnstone have two home games in a row.

Mibee an age thing, and why not, had a doctor for a time who always said, nae matter the problem, "well, it's your age": see i went tae bed quite early, did that tae get away from the computer where I was wastin away lookin for an e-mail thit wisnae ever gonnae come. I woke up a wee bit after nine and wondered why it was still dark ootside...the wrong nine, twasnae the morning but the evening nine.

Decided tae have some hot cereal and looked ootside tae see if it was garbage pick-up day on Tuesday; it is and my garbage is at the side of the kerb. It is snowing, the morra the wee toun wull look like a winter wonderland, a lovely sight and so very peaceful,

And tae add tae the guid feelings, two of my favourite people in the entire world have been in touch, my two eldest daughters; mibee wur gonnae meet oan Christmas, Christmas day even.

Did oany of yees see the photaes of the greatgranddaughters furst birthday ?.......a bonnie lassie thit has the look of someone who is loved and is aware of that....a happy wee lass.

Earlier this morning I made a few fritters for a couple of folk at the centre...rave reviews so i was able tae spend a few minutes bein pleased we mahsel. And speaking of food ahm in the midst of plentiful bounty, four catered dinners over a period of thirteen days; mind they urnae completely free and the one this Wednesday am being a helper.

Am still enjoying thoughts of this past year, cannae believe thit this auld man should be sae fortunate: the thought has occurred thit "we will not see this time again", but mibee, ahm thinkin if it happened once there is always the possibility of it happening again we an entire new cast.

Youse lot wull have a grand December and I hope that wull include yeese seein each other...mibee yeese could meet at some Tandori place.

tam

Saint Johnstone have two home games in a row.

Glad to hear all is well, tam, and that you're getting plenty of opportunity to air your fritter flair.

Did you put a photo of your granddaughter up on the 'make it snappy thread'?,

no photo, Pat, my techy skills are non existing. "Alora" a GREATgranddaughter, is featured on facebook.

A sprinkling of snow and during the night a snow plough scraped it's way past my door; not enough snow to build a snowman.

tam

supposed tae dae my washing, this morning, bridge in the afternoon and a meeting tonight but gonnae be here later.

no photo, Pat, my techy skills are non existing. "Alora" a GREATgranddaughter, is featured on facebook.

A sprinkling of snow and during the night a snow plough scraped it's way past my door; not enough snow to build a snowman.

tam

supposed tae dae my washing, this morning, bridge in the afternoon and a meeting tonight but gonnae be here later.

tam, you've only got one photograph on your facebook and that's you as a young fella with the eye catching haircut. :)

Pat:- Ahm no at all sure wha sees what oan facebook. I see aw the photaes that some of the grandchildren insert...see aw the things frae the English Lady and of course my ain brood....cannae mind who did the photae for facebook, might have been HH. My avatar photae oan "saga zone" was done by a lovely woman frae Inverness

Noo, a wee bit aboot the day thit is quickly becoming night. Played bridge and came in furst; proud ow mahsel but wid be a lot prouder if the opponents wurnae always forgetting who dealt the bloody cards. Did my washing and had tae return tae the hoose whaur I buy my eggs because they ran oot oan Saturday and I had paid for eighteen when there were onlly thirteen in the fridge; it is an honour system place. Back at the flat and heated a quarter of a frozen pizza. Gonnae have the last piece in a wee while but I needed tin foil...easier tae throw a bit of tinfoil awa than clean my metal heatiing tray.

Noo, afore i go for the tinfoil ahm sittin at the computer and plan the rest of my evening. While plannin i dae one freecell and my consectutive run is now in the low forties...this shows a high level of concentration and proves I am not wastin my time dreamin of other things.....well mibee a wee bit but no enough for it tae be a problem.

A glance at the clock and the plan is well on its way to being seen as do-able. Get the tinfoil and a scratch ticket. I am going to Blenheim, have coffee in timmies, do my scratch ticket and there is lots of time to attend a meeting, the meeting starts at half seven.

My scratch ticket is a loser. I finish my coffee and check the time on my watch (something I have seldom worn over the past number of years). The watch says it is six...I stare at it because I know it must be stopped. Well it isnae, the sweep hand is goin around and around. I cannae believe this because the clock in the "Aztek" is an hour faster than the watch and that thought brings the realization that the "Aztec" clock has been an hour fast since the time change last fall...how in the lord liftin could that fact slip my mind...grr, grump, grr.

A slight pause and say, "okay dokey", no frills grocery store is jist a five minute drive away, go there, dae a bit of shopping, mibee go tae Canadian Tire Store and let the time drift awa until half seven.

Sooooo, went shopping. Cereal, soup, bananas and this idjit buy another "Neilsons" sundae; too late tae put it back and so the need tae drive straight back tae the apartment soas the sundae can be put intae the freezer.

Was when I arrived at my doorsep that the thought occurred, "Welcome to the Golden Years".

tam

Pat:- Ahm no at all sure wha sees what oan facebook. I see aw the photaes that some of the grandchildren insert...see aw the things frae the English Lady and of course my ain brood....cannae mind who did the photae for facebook, might have been HH. My avatar photae oan "saga zone" was done by a lovely woman frae Inverness

Noo, a wee bit aboot the day thit is quickly becoming night. Played bridge and came in furst; proud ow mahsel but wid be a lot prouder if the opponents wurnae always forgetting who dealt the bloody cards. Did my washing and had tae return tae the hoose whaur I buy my eggs because they ran oot oan Saturday and I had paid for eighteen when there were onlly thirteen in the fridge; it is an honour system place. Back at the flat and heated a quarter of a frozen pizza. Gonnae have the last piece in a wee while but I needed tin foil...easier tae throw a bit of tinfoil awa than clean my metal heatiing tray.

Noo, afore i go for the tinfoil ahm sittin at the computer and plan the rest of my evening. While plannin i dae one freecell and my consectutive run is now in the low forties...this shows a high level of concentration and proves I am not wastin my time dreamin of other things.....well mibee a wee bit but no enough for it tae be a problem.

A glance at the clock and the plan is well on its way to being seen as do-able. Get the tinfoil and a scratch ticket. I am going to Blenheim, have coffee in timmies, do my scratch ticket and there is lots of time to attend a meeting, the meeting starts at half seven.

My scratch ticket is a loser. I finish my coffee and check the time on my watch (something I have seldom worn over the past number of years). The watch says it is six...I stare at it because I know it must be stopped. Well it isnae, the sweep hand is goin around and around. I cannae believe this because the clock in the "Aztek" is an hour faster than the watch and that thought brings the realization that the "Aztec" clock has been an hour fast since the time change last fall...how in the lord liftin could that fact slip my mind...grr, grump, grr.

A slight pause and say, "okay dokey", no frills grocery store is jist a five minute drive away, go there, dae a bit of shopping, mibee go tae Canadian Tire Store and let the time drift awa until half seven.

Sooooo, went shopping. Cereal, soup, bananas and this idjit buy another "Neilsons" sundae; too late tae put it back and so the need tae drive straight back tae the apartment soas the sundae can be put intae the freezer.

Was when I arrived at my doorsep that the thought occurred, "Welcome to the Golden Years".

tam

:lol: That tinfoil is a good idea tam.

We've no snow here, it's winter, there should be snow. Thurs people prepared for outdoor skating on backyard rinks but they havtae have some snow. If youse lot get oor snow am thinkin of packin the suitcase because I have a pair of Eastons" skates thit yeese wid die for and they need tae see some solid ice.

Ah'm gonnae write tae "God"....dear "God", this missive is frae Ridgetown Ontario, ye should ken fine whaur that is because you, according tae many of my friends, are the creator. This place has a real winter, snow, ice, rosy cheeked wee yains and women we pointies oan the front of their jammies if they venture oot withoot being fully covered up....real winter seems tae have eluded us and I think you could dae somethin aboot that.

and am gonnae sign that, "yur lovely creation".

tam

We've no snow here, it's winter, there should be snow. Thurs people prepared for outdoor skating on backyard rinks but they havtae have some snow. If youse lot get oor snow am thinkin of packin the suitcase because I have a pair of Eastons" skates thit yeese wid die for and they need tae see some solid ice.

Ah'm gonnae write tae "God"....dear "God", this missive is frae Ridgetown Ontario, ye should ken fine whaur that is because you, according tae many of my friends, are the creator. This place has a real winter, snow, ice, rosy cheeked wee yains and women we pointies oan the front of their jammies if they venture oot withoot being fully covered up....real winter seems tae have eluded us and I think you could dae somethin aboot that.

and am gonnae sign that, "yur lovely creation".

tam

Be patient, tam. I'm sure the snow will arrive. You might even have it through 'til May. :rolleyes:

p.s. apologies for deleting your Ugg post but you were answering a spammer. You can tell us all about the Uggs on here if you like. :)