Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

ahm in the wrong place but it isnae my fault.....am reading aboot whit yees are reading and the thought came; I have "kindle" and i have never read "Kite Runner" whit yees wur aw quite fond of......ten dollars was mair than i wid have been and daughter Tracy bought it for me.....and tae show a bit of contrast, ahm reading "Ali Baba" and ahm thinkin that thon isnae a child's book.

tam

It's no your fault, tam. :rolleyes:

Don't worry our filing system's no too strict. Although some might miss out on book related discussion.

Perhaps you can give us a review of Ali Baba on the book section when you've finished it.

http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?/forum/7-visual-arts-and-bookchat/

I think Maggs recommended the Kite Runner way back. It's a great book.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re: "Rider Haggard" autobiography: I lost interest in the man half-way through. Pains me to admit that, because it cost me $20. ( Maybe I can ask for a $10 refund?)

Mostly that's the fault of Noel Mostert, who wrote "Frontiers," a huge tome about the conquest of South Africa that is highly empathetic towards the indigenous people (the Xhosa, pronounced as if you are geeing up a horse.) The book does for South African history what "The Fatal Shore" did for Australian history. I'm enjoying it hugely, at the same time shuddering that I have been attempting to write something about South Africa based almost entirely on reports from 19th Century Europeans. My ignorance continues to astonish and dismay me.

If you get a moment, and if you are interested in this kind of thing, try Googling 'Isaac Williams Wauchope.' He was a Xhosa poet and hero of the troopship Mendi, which sank in 1917 en route from South Africa to the Great War. Someone should make a movie.

Mostly that's the fault of Noel Mostert

Bollox, it's mostly because you read it at age 72, go back to when you were 16 & read it again.

Now that's sorted, let's get stuck into Indiana Jones.......... :)

On the BBC news tonigh - one in five City of Ely Community College pupils were disciplined on the first day of a crackdown on "low-level disruptive behaviour".

This included pupils wearing odd socks!!!

What a bunch of numpties..... and we trust these people with the minds of our young people. rolleyes.gif

Mind you, I once got a detention for changing my hair to a centre parting. I was told it was defiant and the height of cheek!laugh.gif

On the BBC news tonigh - one in five City of Ely Community College pupils were disciplined on the first day of a crackdown on "low-level disruptive behaviour".

This included pupils wearing odd socks!!!

Ah, but didn't Adrian Mole and his pals find a way round the socks issue? (I only ever refer to the most high-falutin' intellectual literature, as you can see.)

What a bunch of numpties..... and we trust these people with the minds of our young people. rolleyes.gif

Mind you, I once got a detention for changing my hair to a centre parting. I was told it was defiant and the height of cheek!laugh.gif

That might depend on whether you are Mr. Harper or Ms Harper today. Thing is, I can't see why they'd object to girls with a centre parting, as it seemed to be quite usual to me - worse when young and there was centre parting and bunches/pigtails. With bloody RIBBONS! I thought it was probably allowed and approved for for girls, quite possibly because it is so unflattering. :lol: If you were a young Mr. Harper, well, young lads with centre partings do look a bit silly, (although courageously defiant towards authority, ect ect chiz chiz).

I've never read Pudd'nhead Wilson, but good old Project Gutenberg will soon sort that out for me. :lol:

Ah, but didn't Adrian Mole and his pals find a way round the socks issue? (I only ever refer to the most high-falutin' intellectual literature, as you can see.)

That might depend on whether you are Mr. Harper or Ms Harper today. Thing is, I can't see why they'd object to girls with a centre parting, as it seemed to be quite usual to me - worse when young and there was centre parting and bunches/pigtails. With bloody RIBBONS! I thought it was probably allowed and approved for for girls, quite possibly because it is so unflattering. smile.gif If you were a young Mr. Harper, well, young lads with centre partings do look a bit silly, (although courageously defiant towards authority, ect ect chiz chiz).

I've never read Pudd'nhead Wilson, but good old Project Gutenberg will soon sort that out for me. smile.gif

In those days most girls hairdos had side partings, middle partings were definately a sign of something a tad more edgey. I've still got a centre parting and I wear my hair in bunches, usually with one of Mr H's bunnets. Ribbons I don't do. laugh.gif

I always longed for a fringe but having a cooos lick on both sides of the aforementioned middle parting, it just wouldn't work. sad.gif

Mr Harper is definately not Ms Harper, although we do share bunnets and have a mutual like of ruby red painted toenails. We have been seen in the same room together, honest. laugh.gif

A Wee Post frae Australia:-

The Oz man hasnae exagerated, Sydney is a wonderful city: thurs naebody thit i have met through glasgowwestend wha wid be disappointed, it really is an inviting toon.

I spent a night in Toronto and boarded an Air Canada for Los Angeles......five and a half oors and the menu was, water, cola, ginger ale or apple drink/juice....nae food and I did tell a cabin crew member thit I thought they should warn folk and some wid bring a lunch.

Arrived in LA and the seven hour wait wisnae pleasing tae contemplate....still. it had tae be endured and the first thought was food....wid yees belief that this silly auld bugger didnae have a dime of American money....and oor of mumblin afore it dawned oan me thit the credit card wid be accepted......$9.00 for a burger and fries but it did taste worth it.

Air New Zealand....cuidnae praise them enough. wonderful service,worderful cabin crew and the thirteen hour flight was completed in fifty minutes less....a wee wait in Auckland and Air New Zealand tae Sydney.....cloud covered Sydney and I didnae see the ground until we were under 100 feet frae touch down.

Sydney airport and a train tae whaur I hadtae go....$24.00 return for very few stops and I wasnae pleased. Chatted tae a few Sydneyites and the grumpiness jist disappeared.

The studio flat folk wur very nice and I managed a shower and change afore returnin tae the airport; hadtae meet a buddy. We took a cab frae the airport and if oany oh yees are plannin a visit. there doesnae seem tae be a cheap way tae doontoon....personally i wid walk tae the next underground because the exorbinacy of the fares is only allowed at the airport.

Harbour cruise and bus tour of the city wur done the day after the arrival.......a magnificent toon and the blending of the auld building we the modern skyscrappers is pure genius. The toon is very clean, bustling, alive and the folk thit i met wur jist grand.

Day two was the breakfast tour of the "OPERA HOUSE"..........God, but I wid love tae tak yees oan the same tour and we the same woman (Tony) as guide......I am quite fond of the opera house and the morning there was a once in a lifetime event......am gonnae continue this but it wullnae be tomorrow because am oan a train for someplace....

AND am gonnae meet the Oz man afore I leave this beautiful land....i havenae even scratched the surface.

tam

Sounds like a wonderful trip, Tam. I've never had the urge to head over that way myself but I have family that emigrated out there and loved it.

Keep us posted....smile.gif

You have a great time, tam. The starvation on the way there would whet your appetite for kangaroo and crocodile. :lol:

I've got family and friends there too, harper, and often been issued an invitation to visit Valentine, N.S.W. and Sydney but the thought of the long journey puts me off. I'm working my way up to San Francisco.

You have a great time, tam. The starvation on the way there would whet your appetite for kangaroo and crocodile. smile.gif

I've got family and friends there too, harper, and often been issued an invitation to visit Valentine, N.S.W. and Sydney but the thought of the long journey puts me off. I'm working my way up to San Francisco.

Now, that does sound fabulous. smile.gif

Now, that does sound fabulous. smile.gif

I have been lucky to have travelled about a bit and been to both Sydney and San Francisco. I hope to return to San Francisco but I am afraid Australia did not do it for me. Too far, too hot and too many unexpected things on the menus and in the gardens.

Back for a wee post: I am at the "econo-lodge" in Sydney.....it sucks but there have been far too many guid things and the econo wullnae make me forget the wonders of Sydney...and the folk have been a delight tae meet.

San Fran wid certainly be cheaper than Sydney, as far a meals go, rooms am no sure aboot.

Am back from taking a phone call...the Oz man and I are meeting at Manley Ferry, in two hours...so am pressed for time but will be hame Sunday night late.

Oayway...cannae forget the staff at this place...they have been extremely nice...and...am oot this morning, looking for a Woolies. i dae have the belief that the econo is miles frae where Judy and I stayed. Am walkin and askin directions and it occurred tae me that these Aussies are so nice thit they wid be terribly sad if they cuidnae gie an auld man directions, so they all did........funny how three folk, livin in the same part of a toun, ken three different Woolies...one oh the three did lead me tae a woolies and for thais that guessed the firtst or second instructions, sorry, nae cigar...and...the furst two included mair up-hills than this auld man wanted...but, found woolies and a place that did a bacon and egg sandwich for $4.00...no a bargain by canadian standards but a veritable steal here.

And I met a man in a park (i hadtae have a wee sit doon) and he had a smaller version of my Sasha, black as midnight and fur as soft as fleece...and she licked my haun and face.

Och, am running oot of time so...am gonnae gather my wash and wull wait until later for the dryer, shower and shave (auspicious occassions call for shaved faces) and get ready tae meet Oz...wull be hame by Monday and hoping tae play bridge in Ridgetown on Monday afternoon.

tam

Trying tae find a guid price for two pair of Uggs...one oh my lassies and a guid friend of hers....Uggs seem tae start at (lowest price) $150.00...one shop did advertize 50% of but they started we double the regular price.

And if oany body does visit Sydney, see the "opera house".

Am gonnae write tae them and suggest a one woman play by a Glasgow writer...a young woman...guid we the words...guid luikin annaw...Pat kens wha she is.

I'm in love. We met in our local park on Sunday and the connection was instant. Unfortunately, his heart belongs to another but I am hopeful that one day, in the not too distant future, I will meet a "George" as loving and georgous and make him my own.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=spoodle&view=detail&id=70F6074848A1A0C86E41DCF5905CF28A05C9579A&first=31&FORM=IDFRIR

I can see more dogs on the horizon. :( Just you two, harper and tam, be sure to ask permission before you pet the random pets you meet in the parks.

Hope you get those Uggs, tam, and have a wonderful holiday. Are there no Ugg Outlets? :) Just watch you don't get sent in the wrong direction.

If you can tune into BBC on Sunday evening Denise's 'The Field of Dreams' is on - it's been made into a drama.

Harper: thon wee dug wull be the centre of someones affection and the beauty of that is that it wull be a reciprocated;guid luck and i dae hope for you that it comes true........and, by the way, I hadtae dae anithur log oan tae the glasgowwestend.

My day we Oz was a guid yain, a very guid yain.He met me at the Manly Ferry, paid my return trip and bought a ticket which paid for my return train ride...N.B. "ride", in this case refers tae being a passenger...ehm, ahm thinkin tae leave that alone.

A sight seeing drive and a stop for tea and something tae eat; declined the eats but the tea was maist appreciated, ken sometimes it is the ideal drink.

Sydney has magnificent beaches right alongside rock faces thit are quite daunting.....and the mixture of auld and modern homes is a real treat tae see.

At my age am no sure aboot a return but i dae hope thit some of the grandchildren wull see whit i have seen.

The return ferry has a beautiful view of the "Opera House".

Am no awfy anxious tae return tae the room so am probably gonnae dae a wee stroll...the battery in the camera is void of power, my ain fault and I didnae bring the charger.

tam

PS a new skill learnt from Oz.....managed tae charge the phone (Judy gave it tae me). Intended tae gie the fully charged phone a test drive. Judy has installed a couple of numbers and it is dead easy tae phone the two folks involved. However I failed the test, cuidnae get the phone tae dae a bloody thing, sure as hell, (am sayin tae mahsel)I must have bought the wrong adaptor. Oz had a looksee.....are youse lot aware that the phone hastae be switched on ? EH, bet yees have done the same thing a hundred times.

Tam, glad to hear you are having such a good time. Did you no have this camera problem before? Buy a disposable. You've got to get some photographs. :)

I have never forgotten to turn on a phone, Tam but I have had trouble with international dialing codes.

Sounds like you fulfilled a dream in making this trip, Tam... but puleeeeze, I think the world has had enough photographs on yur man in his shorts. One set of knobbily knees are very much like anither. tongue.giflaugh.gif

As an aside, I am starting tae hate "google", bloody ads are now interfering we my yahoo mail.....cannae scroll so oanything we mair than two paragraphs cannae be read ..mind I can when using the mac.

The search is on for the "Uggs". I ken fine am gonnae pay $200.00 a pair but one never knows.

Weather in Sydney is almost perfect, a bit warm for walking up and doon the hilly streets but we wull manage....am thinking of taking a tour bus or following a suggesting by Oz.....the maritime museum wid be worth getting lost for,though am not the sort of person thit gets lost.

Another thing learnt is that the phone has the time...fortunately I have the expertise tae find oot the time anytime i so wish....it is a function I might no use too often; I used it this morning and the time was tennish, a time I didnae believe. The damn thing was correct so do I need something else tae tell me am wrong...i dinnae think so.

I bought a scratch ticket in Adelaide...cost was $5 and it won $7...noo am gonnae havtae find someone frae South Australia and gie them the ticket because I cannae cash it in New South Wales, which I believe I am at today.

the shop thit has the computers disnae sell coffee so I crossed the road and bought a coffee to go. The counter man was an Aussi and I telt him, "I would like a regular coffee, black, with added milk and sugar". The man asked, "how many sugars", polite as can be and I knew I had a winner...."two please". Brought my coffee tae the computer place, checked my e-mail (as much as I could thanks to bloody google) and logged ontae glasgowwestend. The coffee, quite aromatic, hot and.....a frothy conncoction in a cardboard cup thit had a hole in it....jist a wee hole and the hole was near the top, thank guidness.

I am very pleased to have a key to the elevator, so much so that I am thinking of walking back tae the econo and travellin up and down a few times......but, "BOOTS" Ugg boots is the target.

And.....am almost sure thit am within twenty minutes of the park whaur I met the wee dug.

Harper: I hear you, loud and clear, wrinkled auld knees are yuk...so, with at least two or three expert photographers on this site, an appeal on behalf of my very dear friend Harper....photographs of auld men showing all the wrinkly bits.

tam