Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

changing the thread a tad

RIP to those miners killed in NZ

Is this a bit of a tragic coincidence?

29 miners killed in NZ November 2010

29 miners rescued in China April 2010

29 miners killed in W Virginia April 2010

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mining disasters will usually remind Canadians of Springhill 1955....coal dust being hauled tae the surface, cooling fans blow the dust back doon one of the shafts, some cars frae the train come undone and run back doon, hitting an electric box oan the way, sparks and ignition.

88 men rescued and thirty-nine perished. Draggermen went intae the mine almost immediately, some wurnae even wearing their safety equipment.

The dead and rescued were 6,100 ft below the surface.

No idea how tae take the post by Iona. Nae objection tae the post i jist dinnae ken how tae feel aboot the content.....i really dae hate mines.

tam

A mine owner frae Georgia visited Springhill in 55. He met with the union leaders and told them he wanted tae treat the survivors tae a real holiday, and he was paying the shot. He did point out that the survivors would not include the negro....his offer was declined.

I do love Nova Scotians.

A Canadian Affair:

Seat sale for flights to the UK. Into Manchester 27th./December, return the 17th./January, for $199.00 plus taxes which will put the return fare at an estimated $650.00....mibee.

tam

I don't think he should be handing it back to the government coffers, I think a charity donation is a much better idea

I like the notion of giving to charity but do wish the government would allow him and any other rich folk the chance to refuse it or give it back if they don't need it (I was going to say WANT it but since he seems to be the first to choose to refuse it publicly, maybe the rich still want more, no matter where it comes from) Seems a bit weird that the Heating Allowance isn't Means Tested when so many other benefits, needed by the poor, sick and families are. Re Means Testing for this benefit, they should be able to set a fairly high amount before people of a certain age are disqualified. I am in favour of any help most pensioners can get but it IS ridiculous that millionaires get equal government payouts as other retired people.

A Question in Regards tae PMs.

If ye try and send a pm and the recipients inbox is filled a wee message tells ye that the message can be saved and sent later...issis true ?

I clicked oan that box and I get a repeat of the instruction that tells me aboot the full inbox.

Ah mean i wasnae gonnae gie up that easy........that is my explanation if somebody gets four or five repeats of a PM.

tam

A Question in Regards tae PMs.

If ye try and send a pm and the recipients inbox is filled a wee message tells ye that the message can be saved and sent later...issis true ?

I clicked oan that box and I get a repeat of the instruction that tells me aboot the full inbox.

Ah mean i wasnae gonnae gie up that easy........that is my explanation if somebody gets four or five repeats of a PM.

tam

I widnea know, Tam, I'm no that popular.. laugh.gif

Guest Mr Harper

Does he actually need his state pension then?

Good point Dexter; you do need to have given them your bank details at some point to get this stuff don't you?* I'm pretty supportive of non-means-tested benefits for our elders and within that you've got a choice haven't you? Wikisleekits has the following - He is known as a supporter of the British Conservative Party, enough said.

*And they may have had his for the past 5 years

Tae The Manageress:

If Harper disnae win the "Poster of the Decade" award i wull assume that the same fitba deciders had organized the voting.

tam

There is a lot of dust in the hoose, nae flair in the main bathroom therefore aw the dust created by the installers is free tae come and go wherever it wants and it seems tae like my lungs. The coughing seems tae be exacerbated with the constant laughing when I read some of the posts, especially the ones frae my very ain friend.

Tae The Manageress:

If Harper disnae win the "Poster of the Decade" award i wull assume that the same fitba deciders had organized the voting.

tam

There is a lot of dust in the hoose, nae flair in the main bathroom therefore aw the dust created by the installers is free tae come and go wherever it wants and it seems tae like my lungs. The coughing seems tae be exacerbated with the constant laughing when I read some of the posts, especially the ones frae my very ain friend.

Can I just confirm that the prize is a single ticket to Ridgetown? :lol:

Oh, Pat, a beauty of a response.....however my wonderful friend is married, also young enough tae be one of my ain.

And I did come here tae post, read yours and forgot what I was doing..thimpkin..AHHA,

the utilities bills for the Windsor hoose have gone astray so i have written tae them aboot getting e-bills....added a PS tae my letter and trust it isnae gonnae get me in trouble:

tam

(edited by mods for net security) is my phone number but you need patience if you are going to call, i play bridge on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Friday...also going deaf; the rest of my social life is me, trying to engage "women of a certain age" in meaningful conversation....at this i have proved to be a total failure.

I owe a PM tae JJ. I like tae tak mah time afore answerin the man. I should mibee dae it the noo but wid hope that someone else can tell him how St. Mirren fared the day.

tam

and it isnae like they are in the drop zone, no yet anyway.

I owe a PM tae JJ. I like tae tak mah time afore answerin the man. I should mibee dae it the noo but wid hope that someone else can tell him how St. Mirren fared the day.

tam

I'm sure he'll be delighted to hear from you, tam. I don't want to look at St Mirren results. I expect he'll already know if the news is good and wouldn't want to be the bearer of bad news.

Hope we'll see him when he's home at Christmas.

tam

Jist chekke3d the result an we loast 1-2 tae a goal in injury time. That happins tae us a lot an, if we dinnae learn tae tighten up et the end o gemmes, we vwull be fur the drap fur shoor.

Nice tae know yez ur thinkin aboot me tho'.