Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ye cannae go aff topic oan this threid...

Pat: am no sure whit word they use, whether it be link, connection or whit. Perhaps it should be hook.

Ireland, Pat, tell me....frae Glasgow, how long wid it tak afore we arrived in (a) Dublin...(b)Belfast....and © Ionas' front door ?

and a rough idea of the cost for the ferry.

tam

and that auld woman fair made my day....ken thais Cadbury eclairs, well I bought a bag and gonnae drop some off at the ladies hoose...it's jist aroond the corner frae the nieces.

Ireland: Takes you about two hours to drive from Glasgow to Cairnryan or Stranraer. There's also a boat from Troon, which is about an hour's drive. (that might just be in the summer so need to check).

You need to be at the harbour about 45 min before departure.

Here are some sites for details of times/fares:

http://stenaline.ferries.org/

p & o http://stenaline.ferries.org/offers/poferries.html

I'm sure the lady will love the eclairs.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Truro Nova Scotia: a couple, in their seventies, won an $11.2 million lottery, last July. They thought about what to do with the money and then agreed to give it away. First lot went to relatives, each relative getting an equal amount. Second was the cancer treatment hopital in Halifax...one of them had cancer and the operations and the chemo was done there. Truro medical place...mibee a small hospital or a walk in clinic....received money because they bandaged a damaged leg for one of them....the rest is going to small charities.

The couple said...."you cannot buy good health or happiness but when you get the chance to help someone who needs help, that is a gift".

I liked what they did.

tam

McDonalds in Glasgow disnae have viniger. Ah hope thit Harper and Mr. Harper can post frae Ireland....i am jealous beyond words..yeese ken fine thit i have never been tae Ireland...John McCormack was born there...so wis Jonathan Swift..if it hadnae been for Swift Voltaire might no have written Candide...Swift might be largely resposible for any number of political letters written by US patriots, even though many of them wurnae born in the US of A...Ahm really sad thit Hingmie is goin intae the hospital, even if she didnae explain the triple p...i thought it stood for pretty, proud and profligate...pure, proud, professional...patient, paternal, personable...and i jist bet that aw the male nurses wull dance attendance oan her, twenty-four hours a day.

It is half five on this computer, dinnae ken if it is right or no but methinks i should go tae a bus stop...the number seven wull take me across the Silver Tay.

Almost furgoat: It was rainy. I went tae the nieces tae get my wash. Afore i went in am looking across at Kinnoul Hill and the sky was maistly cloud filled except an oblong of brilliant blue; that was tae the left of the hill and over tae the right was a great separation of clouds and blue sky having centre stage. I left the hoose a half hour later and the blue had disappeared and a thick fog could be seen above where I thought the river was.

Right, enough nonsense frae me, am tae a meetin.

tam

Guest larrytrooper

McDonalds in Glasgow disnae have viniger. Ah hope thit Harper and Mr. Harper can post frae Ireland....i am jealous beyond words..yeese ken fine thit i have never been tae Ireland...John McCormack was born there...so wis Jonathan Swift..if it hadnae been for Swift Voltaire might no have written Candide...Swift might be largely resposible for any number of political letters written by US patriots, even though many of them wurnae born in the US of A...Ahm really sad thit Hingmie is goin intae the hospital, even if she didnae explain the triple p...i thought it stood for pretty, proud and profligate...pure, proud, professional...patient, paternal, personable...and i jist bet that aw the male nurses wull dance attendance oan her, twenty-four hours a day.

It is half five on this computer, dinnae ken if it is right or no but methinks i should go tae a bus stop...the number seven wull take me across the Silver Tay.

Almost furgoat: It was rainy. I went tae the nieces tae get my wash. Afore i went in am looking across at Kinnoul Hill and the sky was maistly cloud filled except an oblong of brilliant blue; that was tae the left of the hill and over tae the right was a great separation of clouds and blue sky having centre stage. I left the hoose a half hour later and the blue had disappeared and a thick fog could be seen above where I thought the river was.

Right, enough nonsense frae me, am tae a meetin.

tam

Tam, I wonder if you have visited Dunkeld or Birnam in your stay in Perth?

No, Larry, havnae even made it tae Kinnoul Hill. The Murray Royal, last night, for a meeting. I took the bus and the walk up the hill is quite a chore. The Murray is gradually disappearing, a shame really, thais walls wid last for another hundred years.

Arriving at the grounds of the Murray i had a choice, right tae an electric light or left tae a lit doorway....i chose right with a predictable result. Heading for the lit doorway, encountered a man with a dug and he telt me i was going in the right direction.

Inside the building am confronted by a wall in front and locked doors tae the left and right. Sign says tae push a button and I did. I see a man through a windae and he, using mair than one key, gets the door open....a big smile oan his face and a "can i help ye".

"ah hope so" i says, "am lookin for the aa meeting and i might be a bit late"; furrowed brows is the response. He shakes his heid a couple of times and then asks, "dae ye ken whaur it wid be held" ? I tell him that am no sure but, "Cuevo or mibee a word like that, comes tae mind"...a smile frae the man and i knew he had knowledge.

He taks me ootside and starts tae point, furst one way and then the ithur. He stops the gesturing, shakes his heid and says, "gie me a minute, am gonnae drive ye" and he did....no sure whaur Oz is but am sure he can relate tae that.

Am dropped off at a very imposing sandstone building, dedicated tae James Murray.

Cannae see oany lights but a man comes oot of the shadows and says, "are ye here for the meetin" ? "ay", ah says, "ahm runnin a bit late, the wee bloody hill is quite a challenge"...he nods, taks a puff of his cigarette and i cough for the next five minutes.

Seems am no late attaw, in fact am an hour early..the computer am using hasnae had a time change. Oanyway, a grand meetin. They asked me tae dae the wee talk and i says tae the man thit asked, "thurs some thit think am overly long we the talks so mibee, ye ken". "Nae worries" he says, taking a watch off his wrist, "ay have a watch and i wull dae the intro, sit next tae yursel and watch the time". It worked a treat.

A came ontae the site tae look for somethin and cannae mind what it was. Am awa for breakfast and wull be back tae the puter and dae some of what am avoidin.

tam

guid morning tae one and aw:

am no sure aboot the religious divide, ah ken it's there and i wisht it wisnae. Am hoping no tae kindle any fires and the reason am mentionin this is because of facebook.....am a member...no happy maist of the time but it keeps me in touch we some very special folk....same as glasgowwestend but a wee bit further reachin.

Facebook has a page thit is sort of a testimonial tae a deceased priest, it's awfy tae type thon deceased and i am aware thit am no very mature aboot certain things. Oayway;his arms reached an extremely wide range of folk and there are many tributes from people with many different backgrounds....one of the very guid ones is frae a lady, looks tae be in her sixties. She says that she noo has a guardian angel, and adds, "he gave us unconditional love and BELIEVED in us" the caps are mine.

Am luikin back and cannae believe thit it took three days for me tae reach the man: the word "priest" was the stumblin block and i wisnae even a church goer....

Father Paul.....and that was difficult.....must have had magic because i cannae remember a single reference tae any particular church and he was the man, best man i ever, in my life met.

See this post ? It isnae gonnae help tae lessen the divide. I hope it disnae add tae the discord. And am no attaw sure whit the man wid think of it but am gonnae leave we the sound of his laugh and the twinkle in his ee.

tam

mibee because it's Sunday...i jist dinnae ken.

I cannae find the thread aboot the wearing of a poppy......bought mine the day and the man was tellin me that a lot of senior citizens wait until the eleventh.........am wondering if that is akin tae many elderly folk no buying oanything at a baby shower, they very often wait until the baby is born.

tam

Inverness the morra and hoping i dinnae sleep in.

Brrrr been getting cold here recently in the NW of England so must be even colder where most of you are. Not so good for early morning journeys into work but looking forward to a possible white Christmas.

Also venturing across the Pennines this coming weekend (they're a row of hills between Lancs and Yorks) to Leeds.

Brrrr been getting cold here recently in the NW of England so must be even colder where most of you are. Not so good for early morning journeys into work but looking forward to a possible white Christmas.

Also venturing across the Pennines this coming weekend (they're a row of hills between Lancs and Yorks) to Leeds.

It's not too bad, Gladtae, although, they have snow further north. Good for the ski season.

Hope you're going to tell us a wee story about your Pennines adventure - have a great time. :)

I think we'll have a White Christmas.

I'm going to a wedding and there'll be only three people there that I've ever met so should be interesting to see lots of new faces.

Sounds interesting, Glads. I'm sure you will make new friends. Don't forget to dig out the good suit. :)

Deja Vu:

Picked up my mail, yesterday. I am to go to court, tomorrow, once more being accused of committing adultery whilst in Scotland in 2008.

The court papers say that I was picked up at the airport by a widow and spent all my time with the said widow.

I really hope that we dinnae have a nameless widow oan the glasgowwestend.

The papers before this lot said that they were pursuing an uncontested divorce.

tam

and still no sign of any money for the sale of the house....and the house was left empty....doors unlocked and windows open, top and bottom.

Deja Vu:

Picked up my mail, yesterday. I am to go to court, tomorrow, once more being accused of committing adultery whilst in Scotland in 2008.

The court papers say that I was picked up at the airport by a widow and spent all my time with the said widow.

I really hope that we dinnae have a nameless widow oan the glasgowwestend.

The papers before this lot said that they were pursuing an uncontested divorce.

tam

and still no sign of any money for the sale of the house....and the house was left empty....doors unlocked and windows open, top and bottom.

Heavens, tam. That's quite a homecoming. Poor you. No widow that I know of and you didn't even spend all your time with Mr and Mrs HH.

Whoever the private detective was they should be fired.

Chief Administrator:-Your popularity has reached new heights.....you need a much larger message acceptor.

tam

Thank guidness i have a friend thit wull forward messages tae yursel.

Heavens, tam. That's quite a homecoming. Poor you. No widow that I know of and you didn't even spend all your time with Mr and Mrs HH.

Whoever the private detective was they should be fired.

Well am no a widow so that's me cleared, pheeewwww

accused of committing adultery whilst in Scotland in 2008.

Ya durty auld bugger (again} & here's me giving you free run o' ma hoose & hame, yir a sly wan, a'll gie yi that, nae wunner Jo wis smilin' fur a fortnight. I thought it wis hives :lol:

Ya durty auld bugger (again} & here's me giving you free run o' ma hoose & hame, yir a sly wan, a'll gie yi that, nae wunner Jo wis smilin' fur a fortnight. I thought it wis hives :lol:

Don't be daft. Jo's no a widow. You should know that. :lol: