Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
yonza bam

James D. Wilson pub photo headscratcher

The only James D. Wilson pub in Byres Road that I knew of was at the bottom of Byres Road, on the left hand side as you walked down to Partick X. In this photo, which looks 60s, judging by the motors, it looks as if its on the opposite side of the road and the cars parked outside it seem to be pointing uphill.

Also, I could be wrong, but I don't remember Wilson's being on the street corner, as it is in the photo. I have a theory, but I'll let someone else suggest it.

TGSA00978_m.jpg

Wilsons was def on side of No 16 I remember going in it at least 10 year ago and they had a karaoke downstairs. Accross the road where Russelsis was the Chancellor Bar

The only James D. Wilson pub in Byres Road that I knew of was at the bottom of Byres Road, on the left hand side as you walked down to Partick X. In this photo, which looks 60s, judging by the motors, it looks as if its on the opposite side of the road and the cars parked outside it seem to be pointing uphill.

Also, I could be wrong, but I don't remember Wilson's being on the street corner, as it is in the photo. I have a theory, but I'll let someone else suggest it.

TGSA00978_m.jpg

Hm.... I remember James D Wilson's being on the site of where Cafe Francais just was (next to what was the Bank of Scotland at Partick X which is now North of Bondi and was recently Baby Grand West)..on the left hand side of Byres as you go towards the X.

Same block as where Farmfoods (is it)? and No 16 are now.

Did James D Wilson move across Byres and down a block then? From the pic it does look a bit like where Chancellors was on the block at University Cafe... but but but... is it?

It's DEFFO not that your pic's back to front, cos the block UP from the James D I remember on Byres woulda been Church St school...

Your pic reminds me very much of the block next to where I work, off High St.

There is still a pub on that very site, next to Babbity Bowster. To be honest I've never noticed if the tenements above are only two-high, but I sure can't recall any on Byres that are.

So is it a different branch of James D Wilson then? :blink:

Ach, yer right. It's no' Byres Road at a', at a'. I put 'Byres Road' into the search and just assumed what came up would be a photo of a Byres Road pub.

I thought it must have been a previous incarnation of 'The Chancellor', but the two storey building is all wrong. Teach me to do a bit more research in future. Here's what it says on the Mitchell site -

"This photograph from 1963 shows a public house at the corner of West Nile Street and Renfrew Street. It takes its name from the proprietor, James D Wilson.

James Davidson Wilson was a well known Glasgow publican who also owned pubs near the foot of Byres Road and at 239 Maryhill Road. At the beginning of the 21st century, the former has been converted to a restaurant and the latter renamed the Woodside Inn.

The Renfrew Street pub was demolished in the late 1960s and Wilson moved to new premises at 9 Sauchiehall Street. Confusingly, the "No 8" which can just be seen above the door at the Renfrew Street entrance on the left of the photograph was removed and fixed above the door at the new address."

So is that pub on the crossroads of where the Holiday Inn is now? The one with the Bonne Auberge restaurant, and on opposite corners from Cineworld, Langs Hotel and the Concert Hall?

Lightbulb. :blink:

Guest westtender

TGSA00978_m.jpg

<peer>

Um. That's no Byres Road.

Guest westtender

Ach, yer right. It's no' Byres Road at a', at a'.

Ah.

:blink:

I thought either you or me was goin bonkers!

The old ancestral pile.

I used to suffer from them too but had an op & that cured it

Yonza, What was your theory ? And can you enlarge the street plates on your original; to get the name ?

See post #4

If you click on here, you'll get a full screen of the photo. You can just make out the street names.

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/imageview.p...HPSESSID=7e25ba