Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
HollowHorn

Partick & the West End 1980s

Great pics HH

I loved Lena's chippie on Dumbarton Rd opposite Thornwood Avenue. Mr and Mrs Pacitti owned the place and made fantastic fish and chips. I went to school with their son Mario so always got an extra scoop of chips..........happy days.

Nice pics, HH. I lived in the west end when they were taken. Know what I'd like to see? Interior pics of pubs, cafes etc from that time. I must have several dozen photos of the denizens of The Byre, The Curlers, The Rock, The Doublet etc from the late 70s into the 80s (I seem to have had a thing about pubs starting with 'the'). Seems no one did 'interiors' back then. :lol:

Post someYonza, these were my drinking habitat too, I might recognise you

Likewise, Yonza. Specially The Rock circa 74-78, the Curlers 76-78 and *he ***blet 79-83.

I have no photies at all of those days, sadly. :lol:

Nice pics, HH. I lived in the west end when they were taken. Know what I'd like to see? Interior pics of pubs, cafes etc from that time. I must have several dozen photos of the denizens of The Byre, The Curlers, The Rock, The Doublet etc from the late 70s into the 80s (I seem to have had a thing about pubs starting with 'the'). Seems no one did 'interiors' back then. ;)

I used to work in the Rock in the 80s :lol:

Post someYonza, these were my drinking habitat too, I might recognise you

Wouldnae know how to, even if I could find them, Maggs. I had a hunt, but no luck. The way stuff accumulates chez moi, I could have a Japanese sojer for a lodger and wouldnae know about it.

In the Rock, did you hang out in the public bar or the 'lounge' bar? The latter was all low-lit, like a Stakis steakhouse, the former was brightly lit, wi a snooker table and no ladies toilet... :blink:

Or even inbetween at the wee wrought iron-gate bit that was the off-sales (till about 9.30) :lol:

Curlers; upstairs or downstairs?

*he ***blet; downstairs or upstairs in the tiny wee snug?

Where WAS the Byre, have I been there? Was it near the Aragon? Anybody? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Curlers rings a bell !! Think I eithe r drank there or renovated it. did a fair bit of pub renos in 60s

In the Rock, did you hang out in the public bar or the 'lounge' bar? The latter was all low-lit, like a Stakis steakhouse, the former was brightly lit, wi a snooker table and no ladies toilet... :blink:

Or even inbetween at the wee wrought iron-gate bit that was the off-sales (till about 9.30) :lol:

Curlers; upstairs or downstairs?

*he ***blet; downstairs or upstairs in the tiny wee snug?

Where WAS the Byre, have I been there? Was it near the Aragon? Anybody? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Rock, early 70s, in the public bar. There, they had the only bar billiards table I ever saw in a Scottish pub. Bar billiards is a south of England game. There was also a darts board right at the back. Later on, the bar billiards table was replaced by a pool table.

Early 80s, in the lounge. The pool table had been moved to there, but they removed it after it became the source of arguments. There were always umpteen names chalked up on the board. Played backgammon and dominoes in there, too.

Curlers, downstairs at the back. There were two areas downstairs at the back. The furthest back was a lounge area. I drank in the other bit. It turned into a real dive. It was a hippy bar and hippies live on the margins of society. But other people on the margins of society for all the wrong reasons started to use it, too. Heroin addicts, thieves . . .you name it . . . they all went to The Curlers.

Downstairs in the Doublet. I think the upstairs bar deserves a mention in the Guinness Book of Records on account of its pokiness.

The Byre was the now defunct 'Whistler's Mother'. Don't know what its present incarnation is.

I worked in the Lounge and did the offie as well. We used to hand out plastic bags to guys going in wearing bikers jaikets, the Rock was up market in them days and didnae serve scruffs :lol:

just under agers.

In fact the Rock served fewer people than the Dolphin. The bar's calendar did not display public holidays so on the Sunday night before a holiday the same number of staff were rostered as the Sunday before despite the usual tripling of amateur drinkers who had no work to go to the next day.

Meanwhile in The Dolphin there were four staff behind the bar on a Sunday night.

As long as they were smartly dressed under agers.

Did the Byre, Curlers in the back roomwith the hippies, the Rock the Public bar, the Doublet upstairs many moons ago downstairs more recently.

His Nibs the weeupstairs bit, Amphora bit where big band sound played and Griffen public Bar

Did the Byre, Curlers in the back roomwith the hippies, the Rock the Public bar, the Doublet upstairs

Yep, me too. I was upstairs at the Doublet recently, seems like it's hardly changed at all.

The Byre had a mock thatched roof, seemed to be made of varnished canes.

The Rock, early 70s, in the public bar. There, they had the only bar billiards table I ever saw in a Scottish pub. Bar billiards is a south of England game. There was also a darts board right at the back. Later on, the bar billiards table was replaced by a pool table.

Early 80s, in the lounge. The pool table had been moved to there, but they removed it after it became the source of arguments. There were always umpteen names chalked up on the board. Played backgammon and dominoes in there, too.

Curlers, downstairs at the back. There were two areas downstairs at the back. The furthest back was a lounge area. I drank in the other bit. It turned into a real dive. It was a hippy bar and hippies live on the margins of society. But other people on the margins of society for all the wrong reasons started to use it, too. Heroin addicts, thieves . . .you name it . . . they all went to The Curlers.

Downstairs in the Doublet. I think the upstairs bar deserves a mention in the Guinness Book of Records on account of its pokiness.

The Byre was the now defunct 'Whistler's Mother'. Don't know what its present incarnation is.

Me and my mates highlight of the week was the Rock public bar on a Saturday, earliest I recall would be 1972..eeeek! (yeah, as Dex rightly implies, under age by a coupla years) and we gals had to stravaig through to the lounge bar toilet, fighting off all manner of weird Manilow clones on the way...and back.

I haven't been in the Rock since 1976.

Curlers we went to occasionally when they had bands on upstairs; downstairs was a total dive at the time, as YB says.

Downstairs in *he ***blet, oh, so frequently between 79 and 83, we had a flat very nearby in Otago St, and there were no other bars nearby till Chimmy's and O'Henry's opened in the early 80s... :blink:

Saturday afternoons circa 77-79, routine was lunch in the Third Eye cafe, then next door to the Amphora for the live jazz. almost always the Bobby Deans Big Band.

Where was His Nibs again, Maggs?

Re Griffin, we only ever pitched up there if the Ritz Bar was full, or if we were going to the Kings panto ( oh no we didn't)....but deffo about to become more of a regular since auld acquaintance (and now new neighbour, Bobsy) has recently bought it. Oh joy! Ain't life a bitch.... :lol:

Great memories, all. Looks like quite a few have been pretty much been in the same room at the same time over the years...........would we recognise each other I wonder? LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest westtender

....And are any of the Byres Road new pubby incarnations going to last 5 minutes, or become legends? Naw.

I have heard tales of the old Rubaiyat from Uni staff that are now hard wired into me noggin like I was actually there, which I wasn't

The Cafe Frongsays is shortly to be opened under yet another new name, Tony Macaroni. I give it not even a year.

Where was His Nibs again, Maggs?

I've forgotten my password for my 'maggs' alter ego, so I'll have to sign in as yonza to answer :blink: . It was off Sauchiehall St (Holland St, mibbes) and was known as 'The State' before becoming 'His Nibs'. Rangers manager, Walter Smith bought it and gave it it's old name back. Another hippy bar along with 'The Griffin' and downstairs in 'The Maggie'. 'Burns' Howff' was another. But the few times I was in there it seemed a bit 'dangerous', so didnae go there. The Curlers also became dangerous later. There was music downstairs in both The State and The Maggie.

Thanks Yonza I don't mind being Maggie the night, I'm going to watch

Taggart so

feel free to jump into my shoes while I'm gone (no ma knickers but, they're personal) :blink: