Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
rolo tomassi

Department Store Nostalgia

I am told, by a female friend, that no-one buys expensive leather gloves in department stores these days as they are too expensive. She has several pairs that she has bought in charity shops. One pair has a Daly's label.

I am told, by a female friend, that no-one buys expensive leather gloves in department stores these days as they are too expensive. She has several pairs that she has bought in charity shops. One pair has a Daly's label.

Bet they're lovely, rory. I've got some crocheted lace gloves that I bought in a retro shop. They are a work of art but will I ever wear them?

You get those crocheted gloves on girl at every available op.You will be noticed and remembered for it,and with a beautiful coloured nailvarnish showing fleetingly through them you will be the talk of the steamy.

My mother bought gloves in Coplands,and the assistant would place a small velvet cushion on the counter for mama to rest her elbow on,whilst easing the glove finger,by finger onto the proffered hand,and then a small hand mirror held at different angles to let"modom" see the glove from all angles before purchase.This isnt made up,this was the ceremony when one bought gloves in the 60s in Sauchie.

I have the most beautiful pair of Dents gloves that i've had for years,chestnut brown leather with snap fasteners at the wrist,I wear them lots,and are'nt they great for hiding bony arthritic changes,

Willie.x.

You get those crocheted gloves on girl at every available op.You will be noticed and remembered for it,and with a beautiful coloured nailvarnish showing fleetingly through them you will be the talk of the steamy.

My mother bought gloves in Coplands,and the assistant would place a small velvet cushion on the counter for mama to rest her elbow on,whilst easing the glove finger,by finger onto the proffered hand,and then a small hand mirror held at different angles to let"modom" see the glove from all angles before purchase.This isnt made up,this was the ceremony when one bought gloves in the 60s in Sauchie.

I have the most beautiful pair of Dents gloves that i've had for years,chestnut brown leather with snap fasteners at the wrist,I wear them lots,and are'nt they great for hiding bony arthritic changes,

Willie.x.

Sounds very poash, willie. I like my nice Aran pattern mitts for the cold days. :)

Hi Miss Canny,

its sad to see how many shops are vacant just now in the main streets in Ayr.There are a few duplicates opposite each other which make no sense.2 Clintons,which I know Miss Lynski works for,2 Superdrugs.Seems to be the same business divided between the same outlets.

However there are many smaller indie shops with some very nice merchandise,and they seem to be doing alright.Theres also an M & S,B.H.S. etc.

I must say I like Ayr shopping very much.People are civil and pass the time of day,

Willie.x.

Hi Miss Canny,

its sad to see how many shops are vacant just now in the main streets in Ayr.There are a few duplicates opposite each other which make no sense.2 Clintons,which I know Miss Lynski works for,2 Superdrugs.Seems to be the same business divided between the same outlets.

However there are many smaller indie shops with some very nice merchandise,and they seem to be doing alright.Theres also an M & S,B.H.S. etc.

I must say I like Ayr shopping very much.People are civil and pass the time of day,

Willie.x.

Like the sound of the 'smaller indie shops', willie. A nice browse followed by a stroll on the beach. Lovely!