Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Department Store Nostalgia

Naw just Van Heusen

I bought my first UK car a TR3 (See me all Fur coat & nae Knickers) from Stewarts at Dunbreck?? near Dumbarton was a great bird catcher but nae use as a shagginwagin. Gear lever got in the way & roof was too low but there again you have to make sacrifices for the image.

Don't blame the car, Oz, I think you were just too obvious wi the nae Knickers. :lol:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't have been so bad, Iona, but the glasses were borrowed, my neighbours complained about the racket and have all fallen out with me and the taxi company who took you home have closed my account. Can you explain what happened in the taxi?

I've got one of your earrings, two letters that must have fallen out of your bag, your jacket and your brolly.

p.s. I enjoyed the gossip :P - come back anytime.

:D

*blushes*

right I'll be back to do it all again on Friday :lol:

Thanks Pat so many walks :P

I'd be a nightmare on one of those tho I'd be interrupting all the time :D

I think the guides love the folk that display interest, Ionaw.

Maybe there should be a guide on the old department stores. You and ardengirl could maybe arrange that? :lol:

• 11 months later...

I was so interested to hear mention of Daly,s department store .It was, in my day, the creme de la creme.I worked as a beautician for Guerlain(a tiny salon on the half landing) and beautified the ladies of glasgow high society. I had trained at Elizabeth Arden,and worked at their Pettigrew and stephens salon, but Guerlain and Daly,s was much grander.Our speciality treatment was the "Garbo Gasseuse spray" named after the famous beauty Greta Garbo, i don,t know exactly what it was meant to do,but for every teatment one had to trundle a gas cylinder into the treatment,room, and spray it on the client.It looked like it came from the trenches of the first world war,and sightly scary,but our ladies loved it, that is until a current picture of miss Garbo appeared in the Glagow Herald,showing the ravages of sun worship,and a disdain of beauty products,her name was discreetly dropped,and so was the gas cylinder(into the dustbins )I think the bomb squad was called.Working for a beauty house had many advantages,hairdressing allowance,all the cosmetics you could carry,a junior you could boss around, and best of all,no clocking in, and tea and lunch were taken in the store restaurant,unlike the other poor cows,who had to use the canteen.god we were hated.For me ,those were the days,drenched in Shalimar,watching the house model sway round the restaurant,and probably doing more harm than good to skins,so made up, it hardly mattered,and as far removed from real life as Mars.Halcyon days!Hope i haven,t bored you to death.

hi,

it was very interesting reading about Dalys.

In 1965 i entered a fashion design competition the miss Daly boutique was running in conjunction with the now defunct Evening Citizen paper.i didnt win,but did go into the dalys boutique a couple of days later to ask if they would be interested in buying any of my designs.I met with the buyer Margo Swanson at around 5p.m.,and she suggested we go for a drink to a pub across the road to discuss designs etc.I was 18,she seemed old to me,probably about 35,and seemed very much in charge.

she asked what i'd like to drink,and not having had an alcoholic drink at that stage in my life,she helpfully said she drank lager and perhaps i would like that too.

"two carlsberg specials please"she demanded,and we started to look through sketches,swatches of fabrics etc.A further two lagers each,and we were done.I certainly was,she seemed fresh as a daisy.

I dont remember remember standing up,walking down to Buchanan Street bus station,the journey back to East Kilbride,or crawling across my mothers front grass,but I must have,because I woke up in the early hours,in my bed,and was so ill I was unable to go to work the next day.Margo of course was neither up nor down.She was a real character,of which there are not too many these days.She was very supportive of me,my designs did well in the Miss Daly Boutique,and she more or less launched me on a fashion design career that lasted 15 years.Margo and I remained friends,although I never went for a drink with her again,just tea in the restaurant.She left Dalys,and worked in not so good fashion shops in Glasgow city centre.She took ill and sadly died all too soon and far too young,but my goodness,she had fun.I still miss,and think of her.Anyway,enough for just now,

williex.

hi,

it was very interesting reading about Dalys.

In 1965 i entered a fashion design competition the miss Daly boutique was running in conjunction with the now defunct Evening Citizen paper.i didnt win,but did go into the dalys boutique a couple of days later to ask if they would be interested in buying any of my designs.I met with the buyer Margo Swanson at around 5p.m.,and she suggested we go for a drink to a pub across the road to discuss designs etc.I was 18,she seemed old to me,probably about 35,and seemed very much in charge.

she asked what i'd like to drink,and not having had an alcoholic drink at that stage in my life,she helpfully said she drank lager and perhaps i would like that too.

"two carlsberg specials please"she demanded,and we started to look through sketches,swatches of fabrics etc.A further two lagers each,and we were done.I certainly was,she seemed fresh as a daisy.

I dont remember remember standing up,walking down to Buchanan Street bus station,the journey back to East Kilbride,or crawling across my mothers front grass,but I must have,because I woke up in the early hours,in my bed,and was so ill I was unable to go to work the next day.Margo of course was neither up nor down.She was a real character,of which there are not too many these days.She was very supportive of me,my designs did well in the Miss Daly Boutique,and she more or less launched me on a fashion design career that lasted 15 years.Margo and I remained friends,although I never went for a drink with her again,just tea in the restaurant.She left Dalys,and worked in not so good fashion shops in Glasgow city centre.She took ill and sadly died all too soon and far too young,but my goodness,she had fun.I still miss,and think of her.Anyway,enough for just now,

williex.

Some great memories there, Willie. Margo sounds like quite a character, and sharp with it. You were wise not to let her lead you astray and make headway with your career. Your wee story is fascinating - a lovely nostalgic snapshot of your life.

Welcome to the forum and hope you'll have more to tell us. :)

Hi Willie and welcome to the Forum:)

Not wishing to cast aspertions on the lovely Margo (never heard of her and she sounds an interesting character) but you wouldn't be the first young designer to have your work "appraised" over a few drinks, only to see very similar versions of your work appear some months later...:rolleyes: Did she buy and did you continue in fashion?

Hi Willie and welcome to the Forum:)

Not wishing to cast aspertions on the lovely Margo (never heard of her and she sounds an interesting character) but you wouldn't be the first young designer to have your work "appraised" over a few drinks, only to see very similar versions of your work appear some months later...:rolleyes: Did she buy and did you continue in fashion?

hi,

and thanks for the welcome.She did indeed buy quite a bit of stuff from me at that time,and was responsible for me starting in fashion design.I carried on designing for another 15 years after that.The first few years for my own label,imaginatively called Willie Dresses,and then worked for two Glasgow manufacturers producing for C and A,M and S.etc.It was mostly good fun and hard work,oh, and the opposite of glamorous.Margo was lovely and friendly and frightening at times,but she was totally professional with me.As I said she was a real character in the fashion world at that time,but in a good way.

Dalys was a very special shop catering for the rich and famous.One time they had Marlene Deitrich in buying shoes while she was appearing in her one woman show in the Empire,and she was but one of many famous clients.Sauchiehall Street is unrecognisable now.Its cheap and nasty filled with terrible shops rather than the world famous shopping street of yesteryear,and you dont half see a track suit or two meandering down what is now a pedestrian precinct.Nothing stays the same as we know,but there isnt even a tang of what that street used to be like..sadly.

willie.x

The three-faced clock outside the Copland and Lye department store in Sauchiehall Street/Wellington Street, Glasgow. The clock was given to Milngavie Town Council in 1971 and restored and re-erected in the village centre in 1981.

Photograph taken: 11/01/1971

1Copeland.jpg

Original Willow Tea Rooms, Sauchiehall Street in 1903. It was later taken over by Daly's department store then restored and converted back to the Willow Tea Rooms in 1983:

Dalys.jpg

The 'model gown' department of Coplands and Pettigrew's store on the corner of Sauchiehall Street and Wellington Street, 1962:

1Pet1.jpg

The trousseau / bridal department in Coplands and Pettigrew's store on the corner of Sauchiehall Street and Wellington Street, 1962:

2Pet2.jpg

Ladies checking customers accounts in the account department of Coplands and Pettigrew's store on the corner of Sauchiehall Street and Wellington Street, Glasgow, 1962:

3Pet3.jpg

McLellan Galleries, 254-290 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow

This long three storey classical front was originally built as an art gallery to house the collection of the connoisseur Archibald McLellan, which was bequeathed to the city on his death.

Following the transfer of the collection to Kelvingrove, the building was given shopfronts and a corner dome and opened in 1904 as Trerons' Magasin des Tuileries. New exhibition halls, galleries, and a grand staircase were added eight years later.

The building suffered fire damage in 1986 and the collapse of its corner dome in 1989.

Treron2.jpg

Trerons,Sauchiehall St. 1970:

1Trwron1.jpg

The general scene of confusion after the scaffolding collapse outside Lewis's store in Glasgow, 1960:

1Lewis1.jpg

My favourite 'Glasgow' photograph:

Four office girls lounging in the sun on the roof of Lewis's Argyle Street department store with a view of Queen Street in the background, in the late 50s:

2Lewis.jpg

Hi,

my mother and I went into Coplands in the 60s as she was looking for ladies gloves.The assistant in the glove dept placed a small velvet cushion on the glass counter,brought my mother a chair to sit on,then slid out trays of gloves for her to choose.Having chosen a pair she wished to try on, she placed her elbow on the cushion with her forearm upright while the assistant eased the glove onto her hand.She then brought over a small gilt framed mirror on a stand which she placed on the counter so that my mother could judge if the gloves had the desired"look".Hows that for service?In retrospect my mother must have had loads of time on her hands as well as the glove,but all completely true,

Willie.x

Hi,

my mother and I went into Coplands in the 60s as she was looking for ladies gloves.The assistant in the glove dept placed a small velvet cushion on the glass counter,brought my mother a chair to sit on,then slid out trays of gloves for her to choose.Having chosen a pair she wished to try on, she placed her elbow on the cushion with her forearm upright while the assistant eased the glove onto her hand.She then brought over a small gilt framed mirror on a stand which she placed on the counter so that my mother could judge if the gloves had the desired"look".Hows that for service?In retrospect my mother must have had loads of time on her hands as well as the glove,but all completely true,

Willie.x

Very ladylike, Willie. I loved all those wee trays with their hidden treasures. I think the only place you get such attention these days is in the expensive jewellers.

I'm always impressed by the approach of the shop workers in Canada, not quite the small velvet cushion treatment, but plenty of time to advise you and appear interested.

My aunts were big fans of the household department in Trerons and took a trip up from Old Kilpatrick to buy any wedding gifts there.

Hi,

from 1966 'til 1968 I worked in the menswear dept at Jaeger in Buchanan street.I earned £5.50p per week and sold suits at 19 guineas.I was also training to be a clothing designer with evening classes at Stow College,so at 17 I was pretty busy day and night.

We had recently moved to E.K.and my mother was eagerly awaiting the instalation of a phone by the G.P.O.It had to be a "party" or "shared line" with another neighbour, due to shortage of lines in those days.I know,hard to believe today.Where is this story going?I had the pleasure of serving quite a grand lady wearing a mink in the Jaeger menswear dept one morning,and had to order some goods she wanted from the London shop.I asked for her name.."Viscountess Weir"..ok you try spelling viscountess with said watching your every move.."address please?".."Ranfurly Casle,Bridge of Weir"..fine with all that.Then I asked her "was she on the phone?"She looked at me with the most withering disdain.."Am I on the phone????"I sensed she thought i was having a laugh,so I explained in all ernestness that my mother had waited for months to get a party line and had only got one,as we had recently moved to E.K.She asked me what on earth a party line was,and where was E.K.I tried to explain,but she was already on her way out by that time."Let my butler know when it arrives"..and she was off.My first brush with the aristocracy.

Willie.x.

Hi,

from 1966 'til 1968 I worked in the menswear dept at Jaeger in Buchanan street.I earned £5.50p per week and sold suits at 19 guineas.I was also training to be a clothing designer with evening classes at Stow College,so at 17 I was pretty busy day and night.

That wasn't a lot of money, Willie. I had a job as an office temp during the day with a base in Bath Street -think my pay was about £9 a week. I worked at night in The State Bar, Holland Street as a waitress. I headed south in 1966.

We had recently moved to E.K.and my mother was eagerly awaiting the instalation of a phone by the G.P.O.It had to be a "party" or "shared line" with another neighbour, due to shortage of lines in those days.I know,hard to believe today.Where is this story going?I had the pleasure of serving quite a grand lady wearing a mink in the Jaeger menswear dept one morning,and had to order some goods she wanted from the London shop.I asked for her name.."Viscountess Weir"..ok you try spelling viscountess with said watching your every move.."address please?".."Ranfurly Casle,Bridge of Weir"..fine with all that.Then I asked her "was she on the phone?"She looked at me with the most withering disdain.."Am I on the phone????"I sensed she thought i was having a laugh,so I explained in all ernestness that my mother had waited for months to get a party line and had only got one,as we had recently moved to E.K.She asked me what on earth a party line was,and where was E.K.I tried to explain,but she was already on her way out by that time."Let my butler know when it arrives"..and she was off.My first brush with the aristocracy.

Willie.x.

:lol: Snobby bisom. I remember the party lines well.

I think Jaegar is still in the same spot.

Thinking of the usherettes from another post, Holt Renfrew, a very upmarket store in Toronto, and other locations, employs concierges who will answer any questions about the shop and guide you to specific departments.

They also offer a complimentary service booking shows and dinner reservations for customers. When I was there in June the concierges were easy to spot in their very smart hot pink uniforms.

• 4 months later...

Ah hiv tae say that Goldberg stole the show in Xmas magic, ad never seen the likes o it.. they hid a grotto ye could walk roon and aw different movign scenes o fairy tales.. ah wiz aboot 20 at the time and in total awe at the work done by these people.. ah wish ad hiv taken photis.... dae ye mind the show hoose anaw up the tap flerr, it wiz something else. wae a living room wae a fire in the middle o the flerr. and a green fancy tiled big bathroom... at a time ah didnae even hiv a bath ur hoat watter in Brigton.. so this wiz film star stuff tae me...it wiz wan o the best posh looking deep carpetted shoaps fur mere mortals like me... ah never felt comfy in the toffier shoaps up Sauchiehall st, wae their fancy coat hingers that didnae make a noise on the rail... funny the things ye remembers sue it is.....

Ah hiv tae say that Goldberg stole the show in Xmas magic, ad never seen the likes o it.. they hid a grotto ye could walk roon and aw different movign scenes o fairy tales.. ah wiz aboot 20 at the time and in total awe at the work done by these people.. ah wish ad hiv taken photis.... dae ye mind the show hoose anaw up the tap flerr, it wiz something else. wae a living room wae a fire in the middle o the flerr. and a green fancy tiled big bathroom... at a time ah didnae even hiv a bath ur hoat watter in Brigton.. so this wiz film star stuff tae me...it wiz wan o the best posh looking deep carpetted shoaps fur mere mortals like me... ah never felt comfy in the toffier shoaps up Sauchiehall st, wae their fancy coat hingers that didnae make a noise on the rail... funny the things ye remembers sue it is.....

That sounds amazing, calamity. I remember going to see Santa in Lewis. The queue was miles long.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Willie.x.

Thought you would have been back by now, Willie. You'll need to let us know of any fashionable outfits you bought in Spain. No doubt you'll be showing them off on the front at Ayr very soon. :)

Hi Miss Canny,

sitting in an internet in down town Malaga and typing my last tome before winging back to blighty tomorrow.

I will be sitting on my Louis Vuitons and hat boxes all night in an effort to get them to fit the cabin hold.I move to Ayr on the 20th of April,a week after my 64th,so lets hope I keep a steady pulse to see in my 65th on the Ayrshire costas.I hope I like it and dont miss Glasgow too much.We shall see.

Speak sooñ...Oh and that Cunningham film about New York,it is my life in pictures,and yes thats me in the custard yellow suit with matching trilby dashing accross to Sacks on 5th carrying a small valise containing a pistrami on rye from Katz.Theres fewer places I can wear that stuff now,but it did get an airing in Marbella as they are sophistacated enough to take it without chasing you up the casa

Willie.x

Hi Miss Canny,

sitting in an internet in down town Malaga and typing my last tome before winging back to blighty tomorrow.

I will be sitting on my Louis Vuitons and hat boxes all night in an effort to get them to fit the cabin hold.I move to Ayr on the 20th of April,a week after my 64th,so lets hope I keep a steady pulse to see in my 65th on the Ayrshire costas.I hope I like it and dont miss Glasgow too much.We shall see.

Speak sooñ...Oh and that Cunningham film about New York,it is my life in pictures,and yes thats me in the custard yellow suit with matching trilby dashing accross to Sacks on 5th carrying a small valise containing a pistrami on rye from Katz.Theres fewer places I can wear that stuff now,but it did get an airing in Marbella as they are sophistacated enough to take it without chasing you up the casa

Willie.x

I think you should bring the Costa style to the Coast, Willie. Hope you have a lovely trip home.

Nice to hear from you.

Hi Miss Canny,

Willie.x

Get you with your fancy luggage and New York gear. You'll be taking Ayrshire by storm. Hope you've brought home some of that sun.