Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

New Statues for the Gorbals..

I love it....it's perfect sais it all..... a million memories in that group of statues for every mother that exists that watched their wee yin, boy or girl, dress up with mums high heels on.

What do you think though? Never mind what we all think.......

Is there one with girls in it coming up in the future? I hope so. I'm not so sure Glesca boys will think too much of it but I hope they smile fer ahm betting every single one of them wore their maws shoes at one time in their lives.

(and lippy)

What do you think Rolo

Posted that without putin my input.

I don't feel it does justice to the original picture (below), but then not being an artist I don't know how hard it is to capture the actual ragamuffin look and cheeky faces. I am not overwhelmed by them. come on now I'm waiting for the pelters

gorbalsboys-1.jpg

_44966170_6452fe90-3fac-438f-9c38-6.jpg

What do you think Rolo

Well, IMHO, the photo captures the essence of the subject, but the sculptures don't. Not even by half. The poses are stilted and unnatural. And literally lifeless...

And making the shoes silver? What's that about? Totally utterly alien to what the pic's about.

Frankly I'd far rather see the £40k going into a permanent exhibition of Oscar Marzaroli's archive.

:lol:

Guest Kelvin Groove

Well, IMHO, the photo captures the essence of the subject, but the sculptures don't. Not even by half. The poses are stilted and unnatural. And literally lifeless...

And making the shoes silver? What's that about? Totally utterly alien to what the pic's about.

Frankly I'd far rather see the £40k going into a permanent exhibition of Oscar Marzaroli's archive.

:P

Might help if you go and look at them as (a) sculpture, as 3D objects, as opposed to making a judgment based on a 2D image of a sculpture.

It's also not at all hard to understand why the shoes should be silver.

:lol:

Posted that without putin my input.

I don't feel it does justice to the original picture (below), but then not being an artist I don't know how hard it is to capture the actual ragamuffin look and cheeky faces. I am not overwhelmed by them. come on now I'm waiting for the pelters

gorbalsboys-1.jpg

_44966170_6452fe90-3fac-438f-9c38-6.jpg

I agree with you maggs. Perhaps its proportion and when they are in position it will look better but looking at them in that picture does not inspire me. There is something midly sexual about the statue nearest the camera which means the artist for me, has failed miserably to capture the essence of that photo. And, the silver shoes are hackit.

It's also not at all hard to understand why the shoes should be silver.

I don't understand can you please explain

There is something midly sexual about the statue nearest the camera

I thought he looked as if he was straightening his silk stockings :blink:

Guest westtender

Does anyone here remember boys sclufflin about in their mammy's shoes?

I don't. It was strictly lassies only that ever did this.

But then, I'm a Govan lassie.... I daresay they make boays different in the Gorbals... saft Gorbals shites

Does anyone here remember boys sclufflin about in their mammy's shoes?

I don't. It was strictly lassies only that ever did this.

But then, I'm a Govan lassie.... I daresay they make boays different in the Gorbals... saft Gorbals shites

Did your family no' dae a moonlight fae Govan while ye were still in nappies?

:blink:

Ablsolutely and totally agree with you Rolo!! Oscar Mazaroli was someone who could see what was really there and capture it, whether it be on stills or reels. Some of his documentaries are stunning and should be shown more often, his talent for filming basic life in urban or suburban situations was just outstanding!!

Rolo, crack on cos ah`m with ye on that one!!

Guest Kelvin Groove

Ablsolutely and totally agree with you Rolo!! Oscar Mazaroli was someone who could see what was really there and capture it, whether it be on stills or reels. Some of his documentaries are stunning and should be shown more often, his talent for filming basic life in urban or suburban situations was just outstanding!!

Rolo, crack on cos ah`m with ye on that one!!

Aye, crack on comparing apples with pears.

:blink:

Guest Kelvin Groove

I'll tell you why I think it's easy to understand about the shoes Maggs.

The original photo was about kids playing in the street.

They were using their imagination and as their mother once said, they just took things from the house to play with.

It just happened to be her shoes that day.

Not an x-box or a skateboard to be had.

I don't think the sculpture is about re-creating an exact replica image of a photograph,if it were it's not very accurate.

I think it's about childhood, innocence and imagination.

I think the shoes are chrome (they also have tiny blue lights) because they are the magical ingredient in the boys game.

They are an everyday object that a few kids have put on to create another world, so they are like cinderella slippers.

That's what I always thought about he original photograph, it didn't just have novelty value because it was boys wearing shoes, as some think. It was for me a study of kids in another world, playing, transported by ordinary shoes.

You can see the sheer concentration in the poses of the kids in the photograph.

I have technical issues with the actual rendering of the piece but on the whole I think it's poignant and happy all at the same time.

I'll tell you why I think it's easy to understand about the shoes Maggs.

The original photo was about kids playing in the street.

They were using their imagination and as their mother once said, they just took things from the house to play with.

It just happened to be her shoes that day.

Not an x-box or a skateboard to be had.

I don't think the sculpture is about re-creating an exact replica image of a photograph,if it were it's not very accurate.

I think it's about childhood, innocence and imagination.

I think the shoes are chrome (they also have tiny blue lights) because they are the magical ingredient in the boys game.

They are an everyday object that a few kids have put on to create another world, so they are like cinderella slippers.

That's what I always thought about he original photograph, it didn't just have novelty value because it was boys wearing shoes, as some think. It was for me a study of kids in another world, playing, transported by ordinary shoes.

You can see the sheer concentration in the poses of the kids in the photograph.

I have technical issues with the actual rendering of the piece but on the whole I think it's poignant and happy all at the same time.

I think the artists concentration on the shoes fails the very essence the photograph captured. As you rightly say it was imagination transporting kids from poor conditions to magical worlds and they did so every day with whatever props were to hand. The focus of the piece IMO becomes the shoes, not the kids in their imaginary world.

Guest Kelvin Groove

I think the artists concentration on the shoes fails the very essence the photograph captured. As you rightly say it was imagination transporting kids from poor conditions to magical worlds and they did so every day with whatever props were to hand. The focus of the piece IMO becomes the shoes, not the kids in their imaginary world.

The shoes in the photograph register well, whilst the kids are more recessive because the chrome has higher contrast, few mid-tones, plus the photograph is not very good, it's a snap.

So the modeling and relief of the planes on the darker material used for the boys is not very obvious.

A piece using such extremes of mediums is always very difficult to photograph well.

As I said you should see it in the flesh before commenting on the relative values of dark and light.

If as you say in your opinion the focus of the piece is the shoes, then the domination of the shoes could be perfectly acceptable if the the piece is about everyday objects being used in imaginary ways.