Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Issit safe tae come oot?....Secret River talk only.

Thank gawd this book wisnae aboot politics, doe's dosey doein wae bears ur dugs baws. I wid need a camaflaje jaiket and hard helmit just to post.

I love this book stuff. Never in a million years would I have picked up Searching for the Secret River. Even though it's right up my educated street.

See the stuff in that book Gayle.... taught it fer years on this side of the world. The book open up a wee bit about the life of the Aboriginal Peoples, culture crashes and discrimination going way back, lawlessness, murder and mayhem, the colonists blundering in, highly uneducated in the ways of the Aboriginal Peoples culture, mores and norms, lands taken, white man plundering lands they know nuthin about and the people that walked that land for what seems like forever.

I loved it....an eye opener. Not quite finished it yet but almost there.

That book would make a great educational film. Especially since everything that was built on the land still stands.

We don't see many Australian history type films here, though funny enough.....I just watched one the other night about 3 brothers....I grimaced more than anything the whole way through it but had to see how it ended. The Proposition or something like that it was called...

I'm hoping the book becomes a(n) historical Aussie movie There was great beauty in that stream.

Two fumms up frae me.

You've made me want to get a move on and get into the book, Weekie. I did start it ages ago but had to leave it at someones house and haven't ever got round to finishing it. It's interesting to me on another level as I have been up and down the length of the Hawkesbury River many times as my Grandmother used to live there. Am just about on top of uni stuff :lol: ...sort of...and have started another book for my book club here 'The Mint Lawn' by Gillian Mears. Another Australian author but am not enjoying it so far. The language is harsh and the imagery a bit gross. I think I'll leave it and start secret river instead.

Waiting for 'Searching for the Secret River' to arrive and ordered 'The Secret River' for good measure - it was only a penny! :lol:

Been reading Harlan Coban's 'The Woods' but didn't enjoy it very much. It's a stand alone book and what I usually like about his books is the same mixture of very odd characters.

Also been reading the latest in the No 1 Lady Detective series. I like these books even more since Anthony Minghella's television drama. One of my favourite programmes in a long time.

Waiting for 'Searching for the Secret River' to arrive and ordered 'The Secret River' for good measure - it was only a penny! :lol:

Been reading Harlan Coban's 'The Woods' but didn't enjoy it very much. It's a stand alone book and what I usually like about his books is the same mixture of very odd characters.

Also been reading the latest in the No 1 Lady Detective series. I like these books even more since Anthony Minghella's television drama. One of my favourite programmes in a long time.

I read The Secret River first Pat. The other one was an adjunct to the first one but magically appeared in the library at the same time all wrapped up with my name on it.

I'm naw gonnie say too much about the part when she actually finds "her river" but yill need a hankie.

I don't believe I have watched the Minghella's(imagine the teasing he must have got in school)TV drama you are talking about. I'll need to look out for it.

This wee gem of a book will have you tittering away like crazy. Bill Brysons The life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid Absolutely brilliant and I'm only a quarter ways through. It's naw a book fer the bedroom cause yill be shaken the headboard and suppressing giggles 'till you put the book down.

• 2 weeks later...

I read The Secret River first Pat. The other one was an adjunct to the first one but magically appeared in the library at the same time all wrapped up with my name on it.

I'm naw gonnie say too much about the part when she actually finds "her river" but yill need a hankie.

I don't believe I have watched the Minghella's(imagine the teasing he must have got in school)TV drama you are talking about. I'll need to look out for it.

This wee gem of a book will have you tittering away like crazy. Bill Brysons The life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid Absolutely brilliant and I'm only a quarter ways through. It's naw a book fer the bedroom cause yill be shaken the headboard and suppressing giggles 'till you put the book down.

Just starting Secret River. Sorry to be at the coo's tail. Are we still chatting about it?

Just starting Secret River. Sorry to be at the coo's tail. Are we still chatting about it?

I've been a bit slack on getting onto it, Pat but am still keen to read it. I'll try and get it next week. It's very popular at my library it seems!

Always meant to read bill Bryson but haven't got round to it yet...one of my must read authors.

I've been a bit slack on getting onto it, Pat but am still keen to read it. I'll try and get it next week. It's very popular at my library it seems!

Always meant to read bill Bryson but haven't got round to it yet...one of my must read authors.

Bill Bryson's travel tales are really something, Gayle.

I'm just finishing Douglas Kennedy's 'The Woman in the Fifth'. I've been enjoying it but the ending is letting it down.

Bill Bryson's travel tales are really something, Gayle.

Gayle read Bryson's books on Oz first. When compared to your knowledge oz it will give you his drift on other books.

PS I thought his ones on Oz were about dead right, but not to be taken for the populace as a whole.

Gayle read Bryson's books on Oz first. When compared to your knowledge oz it will give you his drift on other books.

PS I thought his ones on Oz were about dead right, but not to be taken for the populace as a whole.

Yeah, heaps of people have recommended them. 6 more weeks of uni then 4 months hols so should be able to get some reading done.

Sounds good, Gayle. How's the course going?

Very well thanks, Pat. After this year I only have one left to go so there is definately a light at the end of the tunnel now! I find it interesting that even though I'm giving this degree far less time and have much more on my plate than when I did my first degree straight after high school, I am doing better grades wise.

Very well thanks, Pat. After this year I only have one left to go so there is definately a light at the end of the tunnel now! I find it interesting that even though I'm giving this degree far less time and have much more on my plate than when I did my first degree straight after high school, I am doing better grades wise.

Good to hear you are making good progress, Gayle, and doing well with your grades.

You know what they say; 'older and wiser'.

I sat the exams for my second degree when I was fifty. Just before the major memory problems set in. :P

Good to hear you are making good progress, Gayle, and doing well with your grades.

You know what they say; 'older and wiser'.

I sat the exams for my second degree when I was fifty. Just before the major memory problems set in. :P

:D

yeah older, more focussed, much less alcohol involved...

• 2 weeks later...

Just try and finish the course before the menopause.

Now to get started on this book - keep forgetting. :)

Have you started yet, Pat? I'm afraid I'm going to have to leave it till I finish uni for the year as I'm pretty flat out. I've been looking into young children's fiction (upper primary age) for an assignment so am immersed in a swashbuckling tale about pirates and bad manners ;) There is some really great fiction for young readers out there and if anyone is thinking of suggesting a book to a child to read then the websites for children's book awards have lists of winners and runners up for various age groups.