Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Hingmie

Time

The time on the board is aboot ten minutes fast, or is it just mine ? I can't figure out how to adjust it. Anyone ? Not that it really matters but I am just one of those saddos that gets easily irked by the wee hings.

I can just hear you all muttering, "Get a life" :rolleyes::unsure:

Guest tomtscotland

Time when posting this on my atomic watch (I know this is so sad) = 8:39

Time when posting this on my atomic watch (I know this is so sad) = 8:39

Says you posted at 8.50.tts. So eleven minutes out. What can I do to fix it, any ideas?.

BTW, I am fixating on this to avoid a very tedious bit of work, what is your excuse ? :rolleyes::unsure:

Guest tomtscotland

Says you posted at 8.50.tts. So eleven minutes out. What can I do to fix it, any ideas?.

BTW, I am fixating on this to avoid a very tedious bit of work, what is your excuse ? :rolleyes::unsure:

It's the forum server that most be out of sync or maybe Pat has still got a wind up watch.

Nothing wrong with an avoidance strategy - especially if it's to avoid work :lol:

There is a problem with the time.

Jimbo needs to have a look at a couple of technical issues in order to resolve this. If poss!

Jimbo needs to have a look at a couple of technical issues in order to resolve this. If poss!

Dinna fash yerself, Pat. When Jimbo finds the time to sort it will be soon enough. (nae pun intended :rolleyes:

Guest westtender

Can he PLEASE also sort out the quote function!

It doesn't work properly. It doesn't work properly. It doesn't work properly. It doesn't work properly. It doesn't work properly. It doesn't work properly. It doesn't work properly. It doesn't work properly. It doesn't work properly.

..Did I mention the quote function disnae work???

What is that quote button underneath posts supposed to do? It doesn't do anything.

Has anyone else ever got it to do anything?

Am I being thick?

It doesn't work properly. It doesn't work properly. It doesn't work properly. It doesn't work properly. It doesn't work properly. It doesn't work properly. It doesn't work properly. It doesn't work properly. It doesn't work properly.

What is that quote button underneath posts supposed to do? It doesn't do anything.

Am I being thick?

Not thick but deffo, IMO, allowing wee hings, like me with my problem wi the clock, get tae ye :rolleyes: .

Am I being thick?

All the quote function on the bar would do - if it worked - would be either allow you to respond minus the quote or plus the quote.

It doesn't work. It's a problem with the software. There is a way around it, which is not ideal, but some things in this life we just have to accept.

Or, as Jimbo responded last week, complain to the software manufacturers because he can't fix it. Oh, I think he also added something like 'embrace the technology'. :rolleyes:

Guest westtender

All the quote function on the bar would do - if it worked - would be either allow you to respond minus the quote or plus the quote.

It doesn't work. It's a problem with the software. There is a way around it, which is not ideal, but some things in this life we just have to accept.

Or, as Jimbo responded last week, complain to the software manufacturers because he can't fix it. Oh, I think he also added something like 'embrace the technology'. :unsure:

If the quote function doesn't work, then that seriously hampers the ability of keeping a discussion going; because one can't respond to exactly what one wants to respond to. Frequently things degenerate into gibberish. You've experienced it yourself.

So.... if your discussion forum software has a major flaw that serves primarily to inhibit and derail entirely the flow of discussion, and that flaw can't be fixed.... why on earth are you using it??

Th old forum software was MUCH better. Simple, user friendly functionality.

This new software has tons of functionality that is totally pointless / unnecessary; and the necessary bits are a complete faff to use....non-intuitive and definitely non user friendly. On a forum? Not a good idea.

:rolleyes:

Or, as Jimbo responded last week, complain to the software manufacturers because he can't fix it. Oh, I think he also added something like 'embrace the technology'. :rolleyes:

Did he say that ? Where ? I have had a blackout or not reading every single post. Oh dear ! Not that I give a hoot re the quote function, I manage to use this forum ok (I believe), with or without it but then I usually try to voice only my own opinions and very rarely rely on others for back up. I assume most others here do the same since it seems only Westtender has voiced a continuing problem with it.

If the quote function doesn't work, then that seriously hampers the ability of keeping a discussion going; because one can't respond to exactly what one wants to respond to. Frequently things degenerate into gibberish. You've experienced it yourself.

So.... if your discussion forum software has a major flaw that serves primarily to inhibit and derail entirely the flow of discussion, and that flaw can't be fixed.... why on earth are you using it??

Th old forum software was MUCH better. Simple, user friendly functionality.

This new software has tons of functionality that is totally pointless / unnecessary; and the necessary bits are a complete faff to use....non-intuitive and definitely non user friendly. On a forum? Not a good idea.

:rolleyes:

I prefer it. Not much negative response and Jimbo chose it for a number of reasons. He knows it has flaws but he's not about to change it - not at the moment anyway so no point with the continuous complaints. No one else complains. Except Rolo now and again - think that's just to keep you company. :unsure:

Heck, I couldnae get the hing of the quote function even in the old days, never mind the uber-complicatit method noo....

Totally crap at IT, me. You cannae be guid at everything in life................................................... or can you?

<chinstroke>

;)

I prefer it. Not much negative response and Jimbo chose it for a number of reasons. He knows it has flaws but he's not about to change it - not at the moment anyway so no point with the continuous complaints. No one else complains. Except Rolo now and again - think that's just to keep you company. ;)

Not merely being difficult BUT how can Pat quote and answer a post from Westtender that was not visibly posted ?

Not merely being difficult BUT how can Pat quote and answer a post from Westtender that was not visibly posted ?

ESP

Guest westtender

I prefer it. Not much negative response and Jimbo chose it for a number of reasons.

If it has a major flaw that serves to inhibit and derail discussion, then he chose it for obviously wrong reasons if he wants to run a discussion forum.

He knows it has flaws but he's not about to change it

Why not?

Why was it changed from the old system?

No one else complains.

I don't care; my points are still valid.

You're using software with a major (and embarrassing) flaw. i.e. it is impossible to conduct any kind of detailed debate/ argument / discussion on anything.

Am I being thick?

ah huv got it tae go red and the wee plus sign changes tae a minus, and then ye kin change it bak again, try it, its great

If it has a major flaw that serves to inhibit and derail discussion, then he chose it for obviously wrong reasons if he wants to run a discussion forum.

Why not?

Why was it changed from the old system?

I don't care; my points are still valid.

You're using software with a major (and embarrassing) flaw. i.e. it is impossible to conduct any kind of detailed debate/ argument / discussion on anything.

Your point is valid as far as the quote function not working but you appear to be the only person concerned. No-one else is het up.

Seems to me there has been plenty of discussion, argument and detailed debated.

Jimbo is Administrator of this forum and responsible for technical issues on the website - he decided to change the software for many reasons. I doubt he's going to feel personally accountable to you.

I'm not embarrassed.

Why don't you just use "......"?

We'll get your drift.

Guest westtender

Heck, I couldnae get the hing of the quote function even in the old days, never mind the uber-complicatit method noo....

Yeah you could, and yeah you did. It was perfectly simple.

Guest westtender

Your point is valid as far as the quote function not working but you appear to be the only person concerned. No-one else is het up.

It doesn't matter. The points are still valid. The software has a major flaw.

Seems to me there has been plenty of discussion, argument and detailed debated.

Not as clear as it could be, thanks to posts looking like dog's breakfasts and folk not being able to be bothered to wade through the mess in order to respond.

Jimbo is Administrator of this forum and responsible for technical issues on the website - he decided to change the software for many reasons. I doubt he's going to feel personally accountable to you.

?? I'm not asking him to be.

It's him that is choosing to try to run a discussion forum with inappropriate and flawed software - which he deliberately chose!! Doesn't he feel some accountability to forum members, for whom most stuff they use on this forum is a ridiculous amount of unnecessary faff?

Whatever happened to the concept of user friendly?

Why don't you just use "......"?

We'll get your drift.

?? As if it wasn't obvious...

It is a HUGE faff, that's why.

And it is to the detriment of clarity of communication. You may not care about that, but I do.

And it is to the detriment of clarity of communication. You may not care about that, but I do.

Haw haw haw!

Guest westtender

Haw haw haw!

Are you trying to insinuate that I do not make myself clear in my communications?

"chinstroke"

The very thought leaves me all warm and fuzzy, thank you Rolo.

tam

PS am no really working with all the cylinders firing.....was gonnae start posting but wandered intae the Denise web site and read the play...she really is a talent. Weekie, am gonnae be needing you tae read the play......aboot two weeks frae noo am gonnae be asking for a few explanations.

As for Stegner....leaves ye totally enraptured with his prose and afore ye know it he wull lay a split infinitive on ye and ye start tae think he is pretending tae be English: it isnae an easy read (for me) but it isnae something ye can put aside.