Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
rolo tomassi

What does the month of May aye remind YOU of?

For me, it has to be the Sunday School Picnic.

I have abiding memories of boarding some old bone-shaker of a hired bus outside the church, the girls all dressed in frilly summer dresses and Start-Rite sandals by highly optimistic mothers; the boys in shorts, and that lovely combo of socks and sandals, a fashion statement that's still a la mode with most Scots blokes... ;)

It would take what felt like 5 hours to reach some god-forsaken field near Helensburgh. Some poor kid was aye sick on the bus while the rest sang the Quartermaster's Store ad infinitum.

Reaching said 'field' we'd all pile off in anticipation only to find three foot of soaking wet grass, nae swings or roundabouts liked we'd hoped for, and a lot of sheep/rabbit droppings to play in amongst...

Then we had to do 'races'. In order to win the coveted Mars Bar, you'd aye to partner up with some nerd who just couldny get the hang of the three-legged race and fell over early doors.

We'da done the egg and spoon but this was the 50s and eggs were still rationed, so were spoons apparently... so to the flat race where leggy gals and boys won out easily over the wans that ran like Daphne Broon... (oh no, not I... :lol: ) and got a packet of Fruit Pastilles for their trouble...

Next ...to the high point; The Picnic. Oooh, the anticipation of tupperware containers going pthttt. Only to find a fairly disappointing, nay lacklustre, array of curly sandwiches containing variously; chopped up egg (from the rationing allowance), corn beef, and if you were lucky, some fat with ham on the very edge of it.

All washed down with violently coloured Limeade (the clue's in the name there)...

This veritable feast was enjoyed whilst perching on the wet grass. And boy, did our 50s mamas kick off when we went home wi bright green grass stains on our Sunday best...

Somewhat predictably, the heavens would open at some point and all those without hand knitted cardigans with unmatching buttons would be a-chittering under a handy horse-chestnut tree.

The same kid would be sick again on the bus home and your mum'd ask, 'Have you had a great day out?" and you'd go ' Yeah, it was fab, can't wait till next year' whilst making boaking movements to your mates out of her view.

The Darling Buds of May......aye, so we were. :lol:;) ;)

Guest westtender

LOL Excellent post!!

No that I was ever there at any of your days, but my goodness ye didnae hauf bring it all back....

I remember one year being so intent and determinedly concentrating on my egg in my spoon after the shout of GO!! that when I eventually ventured/ dared to look up from the spoon, I saw myself heading toward the winning line and there was no-one in front of me. All Clear.

....I've Won!!

...naw. I was last, and everyone else had got there long before me. (I was the only one to cross the finish with the egg still on the spoon though - which still technically means I WON, and as far as I'm concerned my school still owes me a prize)

...and I note an apparent gap in ma education. Oor school buses were aye lusty singers. What the heck is the Quartermaster's Store?? Never heard of it.

Great days but, eh?

End of Summer, sweaters, long trousers, wondering where the hell the Doonas (duvets) were put and generally getting ready for winter :lol:

Guest rearender

...and I note an apparent gap in ma education. Oor school buses were aye lusty singers. What the heck is the Quartermaster's Store?? Never heard of it.

Great days but, eh?

The Quartermaster's Store is a song with verses in the format

there was cheese, cheese,

wi kilts an' hairy knees

in the store, in the store

there was cheese, cheese,

wi kilts an' hairy knees

in the quartermaster's store

chorus

my eyes are dim I cannot see

I have not brought my specs with me

I have not brought my specs with me

there were rats, rats,

as big as pussy cats

in the stores, in the stores,

here were rats, rats,

as big as pussy cats

in the quartermaster's stores.

CHORUS

and so on

The idea is to add more and more verses, sometimes as you went along, almost on a competitive basis. Often an individual, knowing they were going on a community bus trip or Scout camp fire would pre-prepare a new verse or two. Sometomes the verse would be about other people on the trip.

It should be noted there are also very adult versions of this song going around.

For me, it has to be the Sunday School Picnic.

I have abiding memories of boarding some old bone-shaker of a hired bus outside the church, the girls all dressed in frilly summer dresses and Start-Rite sandals by highly optimistic mothers; the boys in shorts, and that lovely combo of socks and sandals, a fashion statement that's still a la mode with most Scots blokes... ;)

It would take what felt like 5 hours to reach some god-forsaken field near Helensburgh. Some poor kid was aye sick on the bus while the rest sang the Quartermaster's Store ad infinitum.

Reaching said 'field' we'd all pile off in anticipation only to find three foot of soaking wet grass, nae swings or roundabouts liked we'd hoped for, and a lot of sheep/rabbit droppings to play in amongst...

Then we had to do 'races'. In order to win the coveted Mars Bar, you'd aye to partner up with some nerd who just couldny get the hang of the three-legged race and fell over early doors.

We'da done the egg and spoon but this was the 50s and eggs were still rationed, so were spoons apparently... so to the flat race where leggy gals and boys won out easily over the wans that ran like Daphne Broon... (oh no, not I... :rolleyes: ) and got a packet of Fruit Pastilles for their trouble...

Next ...to the high point; The Picnic. Oooh, the anticipation of tupperware containers going pthttt. Only to find a fairly disappointing, nay lacklustre, array of curly sandwiches containing variously; chopped up egg (from the rationing allowance), corn beef, and if you were lucky, some fat with ham on the very edge of it.

All washed down with violently coloured Limeade (the clue's in the name there)...

This veritable feast was enjoyed whilst perching on the wet grass. And boy, did our 50s mamas kick off when we went home wi bright green grass stains on our Sunday best...

Somewhat predictably, the heavens would open at some point and all those without hand knitted cardigans with unmatching buttons would be a-chittering under a handy horse-chestnut tree.

The same kid would be sick again on the bus home and your mum'd ask, 'Have you had a great day out?" and you'd go ' Yeah, it was fab, can't wait till next year' whilst making boaking movements to your mates out of her view.

The Darling Buds of May......aye, so we were. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wunnerful memories, nearly tears and snotturs again

mithurs an dfaithurs came on oor sunday school trips, usually tae places like kilwinning???

sandwijeez flasks and lemonade(ginger) of hunnerz of types.

songs onra bus includit

quatermasters store

ye cannae shove yer grannie affa bus

jeely piece song

ma maws a mullyinerr

sailin upra clyde(dunno if this isra right title, rearie wull no am shoor, last heard affa sum folk singur guy frae fife at a folk night in skelmorlie, merr tears an snotturs)

anywan remeber anymerr songs like them

Guest rearender

anywan remeber anymerr songs like them

My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean (with hand actions)

Ging gang goolie

If You're Happy and You Know It

Kumbaya

Guest rearender

SundaySchoolTrip.jpg

My mother (second from right, front row) on a Sunday School Trip to 'the Campsies' c 1926

SundaySchoolTrip.jpg

My mother (second from right, front row) on a Sunday School Trip to 'the Campsies' c 1926

What a fantastic photo, Rears.

This thread certainly bringing back lots of memories. Don't know if it was just the benefits of living in a village but some of us little Catholic weans got to go along on the Sunday School Trips from Barclay Church. Mr Campbell the Minister and Jean Gillies, one of our neighbours, accompanied us but don't remember any parents being there.

We went to places like Rouken Glen - we thought we were miles away - and had the best fun playing games like those already mentioned and also very long games of rounders. We had our big picnic with spam sandwiches (on pan bread) and a special treat such as an Empire Biscuit. I recall the drink of choice for most of us as being American Cream Soda - gosh, haven't tasted that in years!

Same songs, except too long ago for Jeely Piece, - also on the repertoire would have been 'Grannie Walker Hud a Coo'.

We also went on a bus run with something called The Mutuality Club - it was organised along similar lines but all the mammies and daddies came along too and they joined in the games.

Great fun!

Guest rearender

Same songs, except too long ago for Jeely Piece, ...................

It's maybe worth mentioning that the Jeely Piece Song was written by Adam McNaughton (not Matt McGinn, Alistair MacDonald, Robin Hall, Billy Connolly or 'traditional'), a very fine Glasgow poet, singer and songwriter.

If you don't know his work I commend his Oor Hamlet, to the reel The Mason's Apron (dots and stuff here http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display.php/74)

http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/yabbse/ind...ost&p=80906

It's maybe worth mentioning that the Jeely Piece Song was written by Adam McNaughton (not Matt McGinn, Alistair MacDonald, Robin Hall, Billy Connolly or 'traditional'), a very fine Glasgow poet, singer and songwriter.

If you don't know his work I commend his Oor Hamlet, to the reel The Mason's Apron (dots and stuff here http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display.php/74)

http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/yabbse/ind...ost&p=80906

Certainly worth mentioning, Rears but I never heard of it until the Billy Connolly version became popular. That would be long after those summer school picnic days.

As a wee lassie the 1st of May meant a new duster coat in a pastel colour with a new bonnet, white gloves and white sandals. Today is my daughters birthday so May is a celebration of her birth :rolleyes:

As a wee lassie the 1st of May meant a new duster coat in a pastel colour with a new bonnet, white gloves and white sandals. Today is my daughters birthday so May is a celebration of her birth :rolleyes:

Ur ye gettin hur - a new duster coat in a pastel colour with a new bonnet, white gloves and white sandals - furr hur birfday

At 37 I think she might look a bit Twee in said outfit :lol:

So whut, jist get hur ra new rig-oot, she'll luv it, so she wull :rolleyes:

Guest westtender

SundaySchoolTrip.jpg

:rolleyes:

Awwww, luk at the state of thum! Gawd luv thum!

The Deprrra Vation! Where's thur designer shoes and their Gap Kids and their bleached blond streaks and their makeup and their herr gel and their mobile phones and their designer knickers and their trainer bras?

Where's the fatties?

Where's the Risk Assessment Exercise??

The Deppra Vation!! Call a Constable!

...Brilliant pic. Brilliant days.

"We used to picnic where the thrift

Grew deep and tufted to the edge;

We saw the yellow foam flakes drift

In trembling sponges on the ledge

Below us, till the wind would lift

Them up the cliff and o’er the hedge.

Sand in the sandwiches, wasps in the tea,

Sun on our bathing dresses heavy with the wet,

Squelch of the bladder-wrack waiting for the sea,

Fleas around the tamarisk, an early cigarette."

<edit: That wee spud faced thing in the middle of the front row with the cap on is pure brekkin ma heart so he is, the wee sowel>

Guest rearender

:rolleyes:

Awwww, luk at the state of thum! Gawd luv thum!

The Deprrra Vation! Where's thur designer shoes and their Gap Kids and their bleached blond streaks and their makeup and their herr gel and their mobile phones and their designer knickers and their trainer bras?

Where's the fatties?

Where's the Risk Assessment Exercise??

The Deppra Vation!! Call a Constable!

...Brilliant pic. Brilliant days. .................

Possil weans in the 20s.

Guest westtender

Possil weans in the 20s.

when I would assume Posso was still a reasonable place to live.

Guest rearender

when I would assume Posso was still a reasonable place to live.

It certainly wasn't like it is now. Poor but in a different way. The number of kids on a Sunday school trip is a bit of a hint. Regardless of the pap they were fed I think that, and school, instilled the sense of moral discipline that sent many of them to enlist before being conscripted and got most of the through the war.