Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Guest rearender

A grand day out?

Guest rearender

To the Victorians it was a great day out into some of Scotland's most spectacular scenery.

The splendours of rail, boat and horse and cart took visitors into the countryside north of Glasgow and on to lochs Lomond and Katrine.

Now the experience is to be recreated with an even more ambitious Three Lochs Trail that will encourage 21st-century daytrippers to leave their cars and head for the water.

The trail is being masterminded by the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/scotl...take.4095377.jp

Guest westtender

EXCELLENT!!

In terms of this city, that is by far the best idea I have heard in years and years.

As well as the loch, bring back the steamers and the trips doon the watter!!

Sounds very appealing. I've been The Three Lochs route very often for a run in the car but more green travelling options with the choice of vehicles is good news. Especially worth spending some time around Invernsnaid, Rowardennan and Balmaha - lots of smashing walks round inaccessible points on the shoreline.

Guest rearender

Sounds very appealing. I've been The Three Lochs route very often for a run in the car but more green travelling options with the choice of vehicles is good news. Especially worth spending some time around Invernsnaid, Rowardennan and Balmaha - lots of smashing walks round inaccessible points on the shoreline.

How do you walk round inaccessible points?

How do you walk round inaccessible points?

Thought you might have figured out that I meant inaccessible by car. The hint was in the description 'lots of smashing walks'.

Yir slippin'. :lol:

So long as this
doesn't replace the auld guys as the cabaret.

Brullyint...........obviously not anywurr in Inverclyde, thurrs nay fightin in the backgroon

g040.gif inaccessible means inaccessible.

I know, I know! and isn't perfection boring?

I know, I know! and isn't perfection boring?

Maggs,

Smashing links - very cheery.

Guest westtender

So long as this
doesn't replace the auld guys as the cabaret.

Hells bells. Is that the somewhere or other Burgh Hall somewhere sooside, where ma sister had her terribly sooside posh but boring "we goat merrit in Goa and here's wir terribly tedious Glesga weddin party furri rest of yese that werenae invitit" party?

..Shields? Shaws? cannae remember. One of the oddest nights of my life.

To the Victorians it was a great day out into some of Scotland's most spectacular scenery.

The splendours of rail, boat and horse and cart took visitors into the countryside north of Glasgow and on to lochs Lomond and Katrine.

Now the experience is to be recreated with an even more ambitious Three Lochs Trail that will encourage 21st-century daytrippers to leave their cars and head for the water.

The trail is being masterminded by the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/scotl...take.4095377.jp

Great idea and about time too.

For too long the Trossachs in particular has had a kinda 'coach party' vibe, all a bit old-fashioned sounding, but IMO Loch Katrine and the nearby Lake of Menteith have been undervalued for years now. They're both utterly, stunningly beautiful IMHO.

Not so sure about the cycling/walking element of the tour though.. how good would it be to put some vintage cars on the run instead? :lol:

We did 2 really fantastic trips the las time we were in Scotland.

1 Took a boat from Morar up Loch Morar for about 7-8 miles to Swordland Lodge, a magnificent Victorian hunting lodge accessable only by water. From there we walked across a low saddle, sorry dont know Scot's term, about a mile to a little hamlet, Tarbert, on Loch Nevis where we were picked up by another boat which took us back to Mallaig & thence by train back to Morar. For pristine scenery with no sign of man it was magic.

524273_dedd698a.jpg

I never found out who owned Swordland lodge

2 A ferry across the Kyle of Durness from Durness then a "Catholic Convertible" (minibus) to Cape Wrath lighthouse. Wonderfull scenry but cold & windy, magnificent cliffs & one croft on road at Achiemore.

Cape Wrath website

The website is good but does not do justice to the wild grandeur of Cape Wrath

Guest rearender

Not so sure about the cycling/walking element of the tour though.. how good would it be to put some vintage cars on the run instead? :rolleyes:

Or one (or two) of these?

bus.jpg

pic by Stuart Macrae

more at http://www.busweb.co.uk/svbm/

Thur fae Paisley so watch yer wallet.

I see them getting washed some mornings, beautiful.

I've set it up for you Reary / Notta, don't disappoint me now :rolleyes:

Not an awful lot of info Oz

The presence of the commando training school at Achnacarry House, Cameron of Lochiel's home in Lochaber, ensured the training had good security cover.

Nine houses and shooting lodges had been secured by Military Intelligence (Research) at the outbreak of war. As well as Arisaig, they included Rhybane Lodge, Meoble Lodge and Swordland, all in Morar. Inverie House and Glaschoille in Knoydart housed Belgian and Italian trainees, while the Czechs were trained in Morar at Garramoor House and Camusdarach and the Poles at Traigh House.

Emigration and the introduction of sheep farming and sporting estates in place of the traditional cattle farming, however, led to the abandoment of all settlements on the south shore and of those on the north east of Bracorina. Kinclochmorar, at the head of the loch, was last inhabited around 1920 and Swordland Lodge, at the midway point on the north shore and level with the deepest part of the loch, has been no more than a summer home since 1969.

Thanks Maggs its my favourite part of Scotland. Spent 2 holidays at Morar.

As a kid I read a book called "Castle Commando" about Achnacarry & the training there.

My Brother-in-law was Proculator Fiscal for that neck of the woods

Guest Heather Mills

Thanks Maggs its my favourite part of Scotland. Spent 2 holidays at Morar.

As a kid I read a book called "Castle Commando" about Achnacarry & the training there.

My Brother-in-law was Proculator Fiscal for that neck of the woods

Ian Cuthbertson? The sand at Morar is beautiful.

Ian Cuthbertson? The sand at Morar is beautiful.

Sorry cant remember name of author.

B-i-l left Fort William in 70s

Guest Heather Mills

Sorry cant remember name of author.

B-i-l left Fort William in 70s

The PF. Sutherland's Law. McCunn. Land of the mountain and the flood. Remember?

The PF. Sutherland's Law. McCunn. Land of the mountain and the flood. Remember?

Sorry I dont remember. I dont think I've ever heard of it.

I see them getting washed some mornings, beautiful.

I've set it up for you Reary / Notta, don't disappoint me now :rolleyes:

I did say tae ye ah couldnae resist.......................well a wull