Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
HollowHorn

The Baby Thread (nae cats or dugs or pandas)

Och, I have come over all sentimental. Just realised, I will never be merely an auntie again, although I already have a wheen of neices and nephews. Gorgeous, kind hearted, good natured every last one of them. I am now in the great aunt stage of life. (Unless one of my brothers takes up wi a younger woman of course, but I just can't see that happening this side of 2040 ;);) )

We thought Billie might be born on Olivia's birthday as my sister went into labour in the early hours of the 22nd (Liv's birthday) but she wasn't actually born till the late evening of the 23rd! At least I won't ever forget her birthdate. I was so jealous of everyone visiting her today in Canberra and me being the only one to miss out! Anxiously awaiting more photos. Seems she is the image of her dad but has dark hair like her mum.

Honestly, you should see the scene here - two very partied-out children (we had Liv's party this morning), still in dress-ups - coming down from a sugar high. It's not pretty.

Honestly, you should see the scene here - two very partied-out children (we had Liv's party this morning), still in dress-ups - coming down from a sugar high. It's not pretty.

;)

I'll bet the weans think it is!...more photos, please? ;)

;)

I'll bet the weans think it is!...more photos, please? ;)

Well, you know i never need to be asked twice to post some photos of my girls ;)

Here they are before the party today:

100_1024.jpg

I am now sitting here threading tiny beads onto a piece of wool as Liv got a beading set at the party but is not quite up to doing it herself...sigh. I'll have to have a word with that mother! Maybe I'll get her daughter some intricate crafty takes-an-hour-with-full-mum-involvement type gift for her next birthday :P

Beautiful girls, Gayle. Treasures. ;)

Billie has two lovely cousins, Gayle. The happiness is shining out of their wee faces.

I am now sitting here threading tiny beads onto a piece of wool as Liv got a beading set at the party but is not quite up to doing it herself...sigh. I'll have to have a word with that mother! Maybe I'll get her daughter some intricate crafty takes-an-hour-with-full-mum-involvement type gift for her next birthday :P

Your girls are just gorgeous, Gayle. Wee pets...

GAH....... though, I had a clear out of the wean's cupboard recently and found loads of briefly toyed-with craft type amusements...like Make Your Own Stained Glass Window, Grow Your Own Herbs in Only 25 Weeks, Crochet Your Own Dalek, etcetera...

In my humble opinion (was gonna go IMHO but Heidie'd tell me aff.... ;) ) weans have the attention span of your average gnat, bit like most grown-ups really...

I used to let my wean off whilst I continued threading those DARNED beads, she'd be off up to the 'puter to play games, draw with computer graphics and play at making websites. I'd show her my pathetic efforts to make a bangle or somesuch and she'd give it raised eyebrow.....

A few years on though....out of a year of 220 pupils, who's come top in Computing?

<motherly pride here... ;) ;) :P >

We can only introduce the wee ones to everything, they'll decide their own path, won't they?

;)

Your girls are just gorgeous, Gayle. Wee pets...

GAH....... though, I had a clear out of the wean's cupboard recently and found loads of briefly toyed-with craft type amusements...like Make Your Own Stained Glass Window, Grow Your Own Herbs in Only 25 Weeks, Crochet Your Own Dalek, etcetera...

In my humble opinion (was gonna go IMHO but Heidie'd tell me aff.... ;) ) weans have the attention span of your average gnat, bit like most grown-ups really...

I used to let my wean off whilst I continued threading those DARNED beads, she'd be off up to the 'puter to play games, draw with computer graphics and play at making websites. I'd show her my pathetic efforts to make a bangle or somesuch and she'd give it raised eyebrow.....

A few years on though....out of a year of 220 pupils, who's come top in Computing?

<motherly pride here... ;) ;) :P >

We can only introduce the wee ones to everything, they'll decide their own path, won't they?

;)

:P

I've made 2 necklaces and a bracelet now. Worn for an afternoon then chucked in the toy drawer - the ungrateful child!

Next project is the 100 piece puzzle sent by grandparents...clearly I have offended them in some way.

Congrats to your daughter - quite an achievement!

Well, you know i never need to be asked twice to post some photos of my girls ;)

Here they are before the party today:

100_1024.jpg

I am now sitting here threading tiny beads onto a piece of wool as Liv got a beading set at the party but is not quite up to doing it herself...sigh. I'll have to have a word with that mother! Maybe I'll get her daughter some intricate crafty takes-an-hour-with-full-mum-involvement type gift for her next birthday ;)

They are adorable! The taller one looks as though she knows something we might all like to find out.

Here goes

101_6863.jpg

100_4287.jpg

Guest westtender

Who's the lovely wee girl, insanity?

Hmmm.

Ain't them thar pics 2 different kids...?

Insanity, are these pics 2 kids or one kid?

Are they/is she yours?

Does that macaw do cussin??

:)

Gorgeous girls (girl?) Insanity. How old are they? Look about the same as mine, I think.

p.s I love the photo with the parrot - don't you just love little kids' baby teeth? :)

Just one girl, a haircut between the photos, I believe. And yes, she's mine (although I rarely admit it in public), doesn't she appear to have my charm and social command? :)

The bird's name is Atlas; he tend to say "Where's the damned cat?" (does that count as cursing?)

She's 5. Her current project is teaching the cat to talk. I've tried to explain that it's a lost cause, but her response is that I just haven't been able to do it.

hopefully that doesn't count as cursing...had to laugh when my three yr old got frustrated with something and exploded with 'jesus christ!' - the intonation was perfect.

I also have a five yr old who is equally as confident in her own abilities as yours. Also she is sure the world revolves around herself. She told me the other day that she thinks she will decide what's for dinner from now on (not altogether happy with my selections) and asked when it would be her turn to drive?

hopefully that doesn't count as cursing...had to laugh when my three yr old got frustrated with something and exploded with 'jesus christ!' - the intonation was perfect.

I also have a five yr old who is equally as confident in her own abilities as yours. Also she is sure the world revolves around herself. She told me the other day that she thinks she will decide what's for dinner from now on (not altogether happy with my selections) and asked when it would be her turn to drive?

That's hilarious, Gayle. (By the way, nice to meet you, and don't believe anything these people say about me) I know it's probably not the best of things, but I am sort of pleased when children say things like that. I always think, "You are SO understanding more than you let on".

I answer those sorts of comments (dinner, driving) with 'When you get a job'. Which inspired mine (when she was 2) to pick up my purse and keys, then head for the door telling me she was going to get a job. A few months ago I had the following conversation with my (lovely?) child.

Child: I'm a kid.

Myself: Yes (insert confused look)

C: But what Kind of kid?

M: Not a baby goat, if that's what you mean.

C: No. (verbal rolling of eyes) Like, am I a tha-li-doo-mike kid?

M: It's thalidomide (dawning realization). Where did you hear that?!

She didn't answer, and I almost (as horrible as it would have been) wish I'd said, "No, because as far as I've heard good sense is not an appendage."

Oh god, that is so funny!

I always said I would write down the funny things they say but never get round to it. Had to laugh at this conversation the other day though - the girls do a sort of gymnastics class once a week and at the start the group sits around in a circle stretching legs out and the instructor rolls a ball to each of them. As they get the ball they are supposed to say their name and answer a question which is different each week. This particular time they were to say their name then their favourite letter:

Instructor: So, my name is Steph and my favourite letter is S. (rolls ball to Olivia)

I: what is your name?

O: Olivia

I: and what's your favourite letter?

O: (long pause, looking at instructor intently)...a postcard.

I: oh. (confused look at me, rolls ball to next kid)

I burst out laughing and look around expecting congratulations for such a brilliant, lateral thinking child. Noone else gets it so I just giggle to myself...

Nice to meet you too, BTW!

She's lovely insanity.

Don't think anyone has being saying anything about you.

Gayle wouldn't listen to gossip anyway. :)

Oh god, that is so funny!

I always said I would write down the funny things they say but never get round to it. Had to laugh at this conversation the other day though - the girls do a sort of gymnastics class once a week and at the start the group sits around in a circle stretching legs out and the instructor rolls a ball to each of them. As they get the ball they are supposed to say their name and answer a question which is different each week. This particular time they were to say their name then their favourite letter:

Instructor: So, my name is Steph and my favourite letter is S. (rolls ball to Olivia)

I: what is your name?

O: Olivia

I: and what's your favourite letter?

O: (long pause, looking at instructor intently)...a postcard.

I: oh. (confused look at me, rolls ball to next kid)

I burst out laughing and look around expecting congratulations for such a brilliant, lateral thinking child. Noone else gets it so I just giggle to myself...

Nice to meet you too, BTW!

I would have laughed with you! That's great. And especially after other children had said characters! What a lovely indication of brain function.

And I love that the instructor would encourage children to pick a favorite letter anyway. It seems, lately, that preferences are being discouraged.

She's lovely insanity.

Don't think anyone has being saying anything about you.

Gayle wouldn't listen to gossip anyway. :(

I'm disappointed. :)

Oh, and thank you. Pardon, I left my manners at the airport (they often get lost in the luggage area)

HH:-

Dis that wean no bear a striking resemblence tae thon young woman that works and works and works ?

tam

I had our two weans staying over on Saturday and we had great fun but I did not sleep well so on Sunday morning I thought it would be a good idea to coorie in for a wee while. I put this proposal to them explaining that I hadn't slept very well. Eight year old Caitlin replied that she was tured as well and that she had had a bad dream.

I was pretty alarmed at this so was relieved when she explained that she dreamt that she had lost her school bag with her homework inside. :)