Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
yonza bam

The Large Hadron Collidor

Guest westtender

If we are going to start cutting stuff then, I would suggest, scientific R&D is way down the list. It isn't a case of either/or.

Agreed, of course. But this R&D is totally unjustifiable. There won't be any 'D'!

Neither is it a "vanity project". Imagine someone telling James Watt that he was wasting his time and money because we already had horses. Today's science is often tomorrow's reality.

Are you serious?? It's not a remotely comparable scenario. The steam engine was engineering: it sought to improve upon a tangible, visible already existing state of affairs. The geeks are not interested in refining or developing anything; they are merely speculating. Messing with forces they really should not be messing with, just to see what happens.

The CERN guys aren't interested in the real world. I suggest you read the website you just cited a bit more thoroughly. Despite of the fact of it obviously being pitched at schoolchildren, the sheer pointlessness is breathtaking.

In terms of life forms living, surviving and thriving on this tiny speck of dust in the universe, why do any of us need to know anything at all about so-called dark matter or antimatter, etc etc etc? Such knowledge cannot possibly be of any use to us.

We are an accident, caught here and now, wee chains of proteins living under the big ball of hydrogen, breathing our particular combination of gases. It's all we've got and all we can ever have, and what's going on or has been going on elsewhere is utterly irrelevant to us.

The vast amounts of money spent on the pursuit of this nonsense instead of seeking to improve on real states of affairs amongst life on terra firma that need improved, is money immorally and - so far as I can make out - unjustifiably spent.

I really wish you would stop avoiding my points. Fine if you've not got the time to address the points - but you keep coming back...

Guest westtender

....Um. I know TOG hesn't been around the board for a few weeks, but ..... his posts to this thread would seem to have disappeared.

Knowing that we all know that TOG has freely shared the information several times that he used to work at CERN, I have to ask....Did TOG delete his posts here?

If so, why?

....Um. I know TOG hesn't been around the board for a few weeks, but ..... his posts to this thread would seem to have disappeared.

Knowing that we all know that TOG has freely shared the information several times that he used to work at CERN, I have to ask....Did TOG delete his posts here?

If so, why?

He's 'done a Paladin'.

http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/yabbse/ind...c=4524&st=0

What is going on with this? Where is TOG? :lol:

TOG unfortunately threw a wobbly & spat the dummy a while ago & hasnt been back since :lol:

A great pity in my opinion

I would be completely surprised if that was TOG's response, Keyhole Kate, and kinda sad about it too.

Cheer up, hen..Maybe he'll come back. He's a clever man with a lot to say.

And, if he is looking in, he knows he's missed. :lol:

He certainly is, KK.

Guest westtender

TOG unfortunately threw a wobbly & spat the dummy a while ago & hasnt been back since :rolleyes:

A great pity in my opinion

?

I've obviously missed something.

What did he spit the dummy about?

I've missed this too. He's still listed as a member here so he's hopefully not gone for good.

Guest rearender

I've missed this too. He's still listed as a member here so he's hopefully not gone for good.

There's quite a number of previously valued contributors who, for some reason, jist canny be arsed wi it onny mair.

You continuing nastiness toward Westtie isn't helping any, Rearender. Don't post about how people don't like it here when you continue to act like child who is out of control.

My view of it is that Tog had returned from a football game (perhaps the worse for wear) and he (to my mind) instigated a couple of unprovoked attacks on a member of this site, I (also perhaps the worse for wear) told him to behave or flip off. He chose the latter. I regret that I couched my reply in those terms & I also regret that he chose to leave. Such is life. He knows the high opinion I have of him & I hope he returns sharpish.

Guest rearender

My view of it is that Tog had returned from a football game (perhaps the worse for wear) and he (to my mind) instigated a couple of unprovoked attacks on a member of this site, I (also perhaps the worse for wear) told him to behave or flip off. He chose the latter. I regret that I couched my reply in those terms & I also regret that he chose to leave. Such is life. He knows the high opinion I have of him & I hope he returns sharpish.

Another example of successful moderation, eh? You don't think there's a hint in the 'moderate' bit?

Guest westtender

:rolleyes::lol: :lol:

Haha, so mr "sectarianism is not a problem in Glasgow" is away in a huff??

Bloody, bloody effin football.

Another example of successful moderation, eh? You don't think there's a hint in the 'moderate' bit?

I'm prepared to be led by your example.

Guest westtender

A way to reduce the population?

Perhaps the LHC will be it.

Dinnae be flippant. We are looking at some quite mind boggling doomy possibilities here....they are by no means impossible.