Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
HollowHorn

Ascot / Gaumont / Odeon Cinema

The Ascot Cinema 1940:

Ascot.jpg

The Ascot at Anniesland was the last big suburban cinema to be built in Glasgow. Designed by Charles McNair, it was still under construction when the Second World War broke out in September 1939. Extra safety features had to be added before it could open in December of that year.

Like all Glasgow cinemas, the Ascot came through the war unscathed and its popularity continued undiminished. The name changed to Gaumont and then Odeon before bingo took over in 1975. It closed at the end of the century and the facade has been retained in a new housing development.

Another Cinema site with an in depth history of the Ascot:

http://www.glasgowcinemas.co.uk/glasgowcinemasa-.html

Opening credits from 'Shipyard Sally' (first film shown at the Ascot) showing wonderful footage of the launch of the Queen Mary at Clydebank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ngKpqQ_ga8

Another clip set in a Clydebank pub, enjoy the authentic accents :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76epZXpOO3U

Showed a film here in the "wee sma oors" on TV "Flood Tide" it was about ship building on the Clyde had all the usual suspects starring in it ... Gordon Jackson, Jimmy Logan etc etc. I missed most of it. I fell asleep.

http://www.cala.co.uk/finance/experience/c...trathclyde.html

The Ascot Cinema site at Anniesland represents a landmark building that altered the boundaries of Glasow’s ‘West End’.

:):lol: :lol:

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/7847/

In line with the general theme, the development was named 'The Picture House' and each apartment was named after an icon of the silver screen.

Right, c'mon Pat, fess up :lol:

HH, You know more about it than I do, however, I do know that we're in the Gaumont Building. There's a very nice photograph of Greta Garbo in the basement. :)

What was she doing in the basement

hi,

the La Scala Cinema in Sauchiehall Street was a very lovely cinema in its hey day.The balcony had a restaurant section running down either side, with dining tables facing the screen,where the audience could have a meal.This was good quality food served by waitresses in black dresses and white lace trimmed aprons and caps,linen table cloths and napkins and porcelain crockery etc.It was lovely to be taken there for high tea as a birthday treat,and watch a film at the same time.The kiosk at the front, which was seperate from the ticket desk, sold boxes of chocolate in normal,not jumbo sizes,and every other confectionary you could think of,and of course cigarettes.We forget today just what it was like then going to the cinema where absolutely everyone smoked,and you viewed the films through a miasma of grey smoke.Between films the usherettes would come round with trays with a little light in them carried in front them containing ice cream tubs,iced lollies and small bags of popcorn,and cartons of the legendary kia ora orange juice,which appeared from its taste never to have been near an orange.The pictures went on all day,so if it had already started when you went in,you simply took your seat and a couple of hours later when the part you came in at came up again,then you simply left.Many people spent all day in the cinema on winter days for heat,entertainment and company.People seemed more courteous,no one was busy grazing on nachos,buckets of popcorn,or txting on their mobiles.The cinema was a lovely experience pre multiplexes.Its one of my favourite mediums.

Today everything is bigger..screens are enormous,drinks come in buckets,popcorn in kilos and all the intimacy has gone.

as Norma Desmond the fading movie star in Sunset Boulevard said.."i'm still big.It's the pictures that got small"..one of the best lines Billy Wilder ever wrote,

Willie.x

hi,

the La Scala Cinema in Sauchiehall Street was a very lovely cinema in its hey day.The balcony had a restaurant section running down either side, with dining tables facing the screen,where the audience could have a meal.This was good quality food served by waitresses in black dresses and white lace trimmed aprons and caps,linen table cloths and napkins and porcelain crockery etc.It was lovely to be taken there for high tea as a birthday treat,and watch a film at the same time.The kiosk at the front, which was seperate from the ticket desk, sold boxes of chocolate in normal,not jumbo sizes,and every other confectionary you could think of,and of course cigarettes.We forget today just what it was like then going to the cinema where absolutely everyone smoked,and you viewed the films through a miasma of grey smoke.Between films the usherettes would come round with trays with a little light in them carried in front them containing ice cream tubs,iced lollies and small bags of popcorn,and cartons of the legendary kia ora orange juice,which appeared from its taste never to have been near an orange.The pictures went on all day,so if it had already started when you went in,you simply took your seat and a couple of hours later when the part you came in at came up again,then you simply left.Many people spent all day in the cinema on winter days for heat,entertainment and company.People seemed more courteous,no one was busy grazing on nachos,buckets of popcorn,or txting on their mobiles.The cinema was a lovely experience pre multiplexes.Its one of my favourite mediums.

Today everything is bigger..screens are enormous,drinks come in buckets,popcorn in kilos and all the intimacy has gone.

as Norma Desmond the fading movie star in Sunset Boulevard said.."i'm still big.It's the pictures that got small"..one of the best lines Billy Wilder ever wrote,

Willie.x

I remember the cinema, Willie, but not the restaurant. The kiaora and usherettes I remember well. I went to the cinema once with a Greek boyfriend and he gave the usherette a terrible fright, all he was trying to do was tip her. :lol:

I also recollect us not being too concerned with when the film started, and as you say, we would just hang on to catch the start if we had missed it.

I prefer the smaller cinemas such as GFT and The Grosvenor but when we are taking Ryan, my seven year old Grandson, he always asks if we are going to Cineworld. He seems to find the large scale, and the never ending escalators, much more exciting.

The intimacy has indeed gone. No more sitting in the back row. :lol:

I remember the cinema, Willie, but not the restaurant. The kiaora and usherettes I remember well. I went to the cinema once with a Greek boyfriend and he gave the usherette a terrible fright, all he was trying to do was tip her. :lol:

I also recollect us not being too concerned with when the film started, and as you say, we would just hang on to catch the start if we had missed it.

I prefer the smaller cinemas such as GFT and The Grosvenor but when we are taking Ryan, my seven year old Grandson, he always asks if we are going to Cineworld. He seems to find the large scale, and the never ending escalators, much more exciting.

The intimacy has indeed gone. No more sitting in the back row. :lol:

Hi Pat,

those indeed were the days,with only the G.F.T. having an essence of the older style of cinema going.The inhouse staff are all so helpfull and friendly,and do it on a voluntary basis getting tickets and meals in payment for their work.

But of course there was the legendary Greens Playhouse with the gold and red divans.It was incredible that you could go there,pay for a divan,and they had curtains you could draw.I'm sure when the lights went up most people were shocked when they saw what they looked like.Filthy.I'm sure the divans were wrestling rings for many an unsuspecting young lady who just wanted to watch Doris Day,and pick out all the soft centres in her box of Terrys All Gold,whilst her boyfriend had other ideas.I think Posh and Becks weren't the first to name their children after the place they were conceived,its just that Greens Playhouse Mcglashan wouldnt look good on the school role.

Well its all Greek to me about you and that boyfriend,and stuff vine leaves pales after a while doesnt it.Did the usherette press charges?Did you go out with him for long?Did you pre-date Shirley Valentine?Were there any little Takis as a result.Your audience is holding its breath.....

willie.x

Hi Pat,

those indeed were the days,with only the G.F.T. having an essence of the older style of cinema going.The inhouse staff are all so helpfull and friendly,and do it on a voluntary basis getting tickets and meals in payment for their work.

But of course there was the legendary Greens Playhouse with the gold and red divans.It was incredible that you could go there,pay for a divan,and they had curtains you could draw.I'm sure when the lights went up most people were shocked when they saw what they looked like.Filthy.I'm sure the divans were wrestling rings for many an unsuspecting young lady who just wanted to watch Doris Day,and pick out all the soft centres in her box of Terrys All Gold,whilst her boyfriend had other ideas.I think Posh and Becks weren't the first to name their children after the place they were conceived,its just that Greens Playhouse Mcglashan wouldnt look good on the school role.

There's some chat about Green's on the forum. You might be interested, Willie.

Well its all Greek to me about you and that boyfriend,and stuff vine leaves pales after a while doesnt it.Did the usherette press charges?Did you go out with him for long?Did you pre-date Shirley Valentine?Were there any little Takis as a result.Your audience is holding its breath.....

willie.x

I wouldn't want to stray that far off topic. :rolleyes:

hi,

another gem was the Toledo Cinema at Muirend now sadly converted into flats,but with the facade retained.Inside it was very Spanish in its design influencies and had entertained that area since the 1930s.I spent many pleasant evenings there watching the latest pictures.I was brought up in E.K.so before the town got its own cinema,that was the nearest picturehouse.There was a delightfull older couple who ran it towards the end,he doubling as ticket box office and usher,she the manageress and ice cream lady in the intervals.Audiences continued to decline as the multiplexes took over,and eventually it ran out of steam and closed.The architects of the flats built on the site retained some of the original foyer decor in the lobby,and whats left of the original building still looks good.

willie.x