Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Dexter St. Clair

Years old West End Success story honoured on TV

The Sound of Young Scotland

WARNING: contains billy sloan

Postcard Records and Edwyn Collins - definitely sounds like one to watch, Dex.

An interesting bit of music history in Glasgow.

That's a good article by Stuart Nicolson.

Hi, soz for duplication there, I posted another article about this on the Film TV and Music thread before I'd read this.

Didn't peg it as Nostalgia myself. I think the whole story's as relevant now as it was then, if not more, but hey....... :P no worries.....

Hi, soz for duplication there, I posted another article about this on the Film TV and Music thread before I'd read this.

Didn't peg it as Nostalgia myself. I think the whole story's as relevant now as it was then, if not more, but hey....... :P no worries.....

Good to be reminded about the programme, Rolo. I'm looking forward to it.

Alan Horne played some of Jim's stuff when he was with The Hemmingways.

For anyone that missed it first time round (ie self for example) this is being repeated this weekend, Sunday night.

BBC 2 I think.

To do proper justice to the Scottish pop scene since the 60s I think it shoulda been a much longer series, it's just not possible to telescope 20 years of talent into 30 minutes..... but hey....... what the hell do I know. :unsure:

Prog's called Caledonia Dreaming. Whoever thought that up needs a right good slap. I'll be watching nevertheless... ;)

For anyone that missed it first time round (ie self for example) this is being repeated this weekend, Sunday night.

BBC 2 I think.

To do proper justice to the Scottish pop scene since the 60s I think it shoulda been a much longer series, it's just not possible to telescope 20 years of talent into 30 minutes..... but hey....... what the hell do I know. :unsure:

Prog's called Caledonia Dreaming. Whoever thought that up needs a right good slap. I'll be watching nevertheless... ;)

Note taken, Rolo.

Naff title right enough, might have ignored that.

Didn't even begin to cover the politics, Lynnski. Just gave it lip service.

Like I said, it's not possible to even begin to do that properly in a 30 min programme.

I found the prog unfocussed and frankly all over the place. Pity, cos there's a good story to be told there... but hey... :angry:

It was a bit all over the shop, wasn't it? I thought it was just me! :angry: I felt they went into too much other stuff, it was meant to be the story of Postcard Records, but it was meandering. It was an ok wee programme though.

Indeed it was. A wee bit of pop history.

I'd have liked to have heard from Alan Horne himself on the programme but apparently he declined to be involved. Which I think's a pity, because he was very very good at what he did.

I guess it was difficult for the programme makers to NOT include any references to the politics of the time, but in 30 minutes you can't get any kind of proper reportage going there.

Some folks believe politics has no place in popular music, I wouldn't be one of em though :angry: