Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

West End (and surrounding area) Arf.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

love it too :rolleyes: my dentist was just around the corner, there used to be a toy shop at the corner of Park Rd and I went to school with Sandro from The Philadelphia.

just read back on this thread and what a great one it is too

question

What went on fire up in Park Circus and has there been a few new developments?

love it too :rolleyes: my dentist was just around the corner, there used to be a toy shop at the corner of Park Rd and I went to school with Sandro from The Philadelphia.

just read back on this thread and what a great one it is too

question

What went on fire up in Park Circus and has there been a few new developments?

Wonder if your dentist was Roy McBurnie, IonaW? He was a great dentist and has just retired - his surgery was in Lansdowne Crescent.

The Philadelphia is a great chippie.

There was a fire in Park Circus a number of years back at the former Maclay Student Halls of Residence, which had been sold for private development. I think the plans to develop private housing would have gone ahead. Maybe someone else knows more about this?

Wonder if your dentist was Roy McBurnie, IonaW? He was a great dentist and has just retired - his surgery was in Lansdowne Crescent.

The Philadelphia is a great chippie.

There was a fire in Park Circus a number of years back at the former Maclay Student Halls of Residence, which had been sold for private development. I think the plans to develop private housing would have gone ahead. Maybe someone else knows more about this?

hahah small world my dentist was indeed Roy McBurnie Pat I used to go to Brian Murray across the street and then he retired or moved so we went to Mr McBurnie (as my family called him) :rolleyes: I heard he retired and some of the family had a nice letter from him too.

hahah small world my dentist was indeed Roy McBurnie Pat I used to go to Brian Murray across the street and then he retired or moved so we went to Mr McBurnie (as my family called him) :rolleyes: I heard he retired and some of the family had a nice letter from him too.

Imagine, IonaW. He was a smashing dentist and a very nice man. I went along for an appointment the week before he left and the place was drowning in cards.

• 5 months later...

Hope you're no trying to be funny, IonaW.

This is a serious competition.

I'm too apprehensive to have another go after my first attempt was so far off the mark it was censored. :lol:

I think it's pitmarks left after a rather vigorous wedding scramble...

Is that building at the corner of Buckingham Terrace where the medical practice is?

... And what's with the coff coff?

No-one anywhere near the right answer so far.

Look athe wall again, what else could cause such damage?

Look at the tenement again, see anything unusual?

The 'coff coff' was to wake you lot up. :lol:

No-one anywhere near the right answer so far.

Look athe wall again, what else could cause such damage?

Look at the tenement again, see anything unusual?

The 'coff coff' was to wake you lot up. :lol:

The left hand side of the building is different from the right so can only surmise that part of the tenement was destroyed. Since you are looking for a connection whatever destroyed it must have caused the marks on the bridge. Must have been bombed.

The left hand side of the building is different from the right so can only surmise that part of the tenement was destroyed. Since you are looking for a connection whatever destroyed it must have caused the marks on the bridge. Must have been bombed.

Very good, Pat. Sounded plausible, so googled for it. Here y'are -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/49/a4920149.shtml

Very good, Pat. Sounded plausible, so googled for it. Here y'are -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/49/a4920149.shtml

I've lived in that sorta building - Stuart Street, Old Kilpatrick, yonza, when two different tenement designs were joined together due to the building being bombed. 'Fraid that's all I know. Not a clue where the building is or about the particular incident.

I better await the verdict of Sir H.H. :lol:

Not a clue where the building is

You don't know where Queen Margaret Rd. is? :lol: The 'Sixty Steps' are at the end of the tenement.

Yes, the destruction of the tenement & the shrapnel marks on the bridge are the connection. The tenement was rebuilt afterwards (as can be seen in the photo) From what I have read, it was one of the last tenements to be built in Glasgow. I stand to be corrected on this point though.

You don't know where Queen Margaret Rd. is? :) The 'Sixty Steps' are at the end of the tenement.

I didn't recognise the building in the photo.

Yes, the destruction of the tenement & the shrapnel marks on the bridge are the connection. The tenement was rebuilt afterwards (as can be seen in the photo) From what I have read, it was one of the last tenements to be built in Glasgow. I stand to be corrected on this point though.

They made a better job of it than the one I lived in, HH. As a child I lived in number 11 (yellow pebble dash) and as an adult in number 7 (red sandstone).

Na, jist a guid memry, or do you mean the wee guy in the blue suit? :lol:

...and red pants. :) Impressive. Knowing you have something and also knowing where it is.

How do you do that? :lol:

• 2 years later...
Kelvinbridge in 1968:
Fjord over on Urban Glasgow provided me with the following photos (His comments also)
Kelvinbridge Station during the summer of 1968,this was the scene in glorious Technicolor.
12371736773_79fef3151f_b.jpg
12406851263_9951e79080_o.jpg
Just look at the wooden detailing on those panels, not unlike that found on West Highland line stations also built by Glasgow architect James Miller. I wonder why the river was blocked from view from the station with the elaborate woodwork, was it purely cosmetic or to keep out the elements?
12406851463_7332d6fba4_b.jpg
Close up showing the attention to detail on the exterior. Check out the large oil stain next to the cut out section of the planks at the abutment and the heavily soiled stonework. Looks like someone has been furtively tipping oil into the river over a period of time!
12406850713_4360425c13_b.jpg