Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

What's this building in Partick?

Guest westender

Guest westender

Oh for the want of an apostrophe...

Where's This?

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitc...amp;t=4&x=1

(cannae work out how to get the image up)

Is there any chance at all whatsoever that that building is the original of the building at the corner by Partick Cross: the building with the La Riviera Italian restaurant and the Dolphin on the corner - just doon the street beyond those phone boxes is what's now the burroo on Benalder St, and the Partick Tavern just out of sight on the right?

Any chance at all?

Tricky. Don't see how it could be verified; if it is the location I'm thinking of, the place now looks entirely different and the corner has been entirely remodelled. I wonder if there's any trace remaining of this bigger construction.

The distinctive ogee windows of the building I'm thinking of are not visible in this image, but that would be correct if it is that building, because those windows are further along on the building, outwith this image.

Hmmm.

Virtuall Mitchell is *awfy* depressing.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Partick Cross - the Judges is out of shot to the left. The site is now occupied by those "yuppie flats" and what was Club 500. The last remaining part of that building was Cinders, later to become the Volcano and had a starring role in Trainspotting.

Guest westender

Partick Cross - the Judges is out of shot to the left. The site is now occupied by those "yuppie flats" and what was Club 500. The last remaining part of that building was Cinders, later to become the Volcano and had a starring role in Trainspotting.

I don't think so - not quite. This building is not that far back.

This I think is what was the building you get when you cross the road outside the Judges into Partick - the building that sits on its own between the Judges and the Partick Tavern.

It currently has the Riviera, used to have Nan's Clothing Alterations - and the Dolphin is now that corner.

Isn't it?

It's not the yuppie flats.

I think you could be right, Westie.

Reason I think that is because a friend of mine owned a flat in that building on the corner of Dumbarton Rd and Benalder St. I think it's the one with the white blind half-down. That was the living room, and it had a slight quirky curve to it.

Also, if the old tenement on the right IS the Benalder St buroo location, it does look right, cos the only other building beyond that woulda been the recently demolished old station.

Just wondering if the fenced off area might have been an entrance to the Kelvin Hall tube in those days?

Cheers, JJ!

So is it the same building? Check out the chimney stacks and the pointy bit of roof and the curvy bit.......whaddyese think?

I don't think it's the same one.

For some reason, looking at the original, it kinda reminds me of several places, Trongate's up there, looking east along Argyle St towards the Barras.

Rolo Rote

There cannae be many curvy tenements, so what do you guys think?

There are a lot in Glasgow. Its to do with the weather. All that damp warped the architects T-squares so they couldnt draw straight lines ... hey presto curvy tenements.

Guest westender

Cheers, JJ!

So is it the same building? Check out the chimney stacks and the pointy bit of roof and the curvy bit.......whaddyese think?

I don't think it's the same one.

Naw, yer're right, I'm talkin pish. It's no the same building, as can be clearly seen when comparing the two photies. I just let maself get wheeched into a Virtual Mitchell Partick maelstrom.

For some reason, looking at the original, it kinda reminds me of several places, Trongate's up there, looking east along Argyle St towards the Barras.

? Well it was certainly listed under Partick in the VM.

Guest westender

Nope ... it is not the same building. You can't see it in the picture as it is set back from Dumbarton Rd.

How do you mean exactly? What's not the same building?

What can't you see in what picture?

What's set back from Dumbarton Road?

Guest westender

So where is Westie's pic then?

Another place it reminds me of is Argyle St at Finnieston, looking towards town. Where McCallums the fish shop is, opposite the polis station.

There cannae be many curvy tenements, so what do you guys think?

Naw, you're gettin mixed up. The curvy tenement you mean in that neck of the woods is aprint shop, on the same side of the street as the polis station, it's not on the McCallums side (which in any case has been shut for ages now).

If you're on Argyle heading into town, you turn right at the curvy tenement /polis station junction to get to PC world. There were those railing-y public lavvies there once upon a time. (But that would mean that this pic is looking back west on Argyle; and that's definitely no west on Argyle in this pic. AndVM says this is Partick)

<peers again> ocht, ah dinnae ken.

Right, this is doing my nut in now. Let's rationalise!!!:-)

Partick apparently.

It looks curvy like Dumbarton at Benalder but it ain't that one.

It ain't the opposite diagonal corner where Baby Grand now is, cos you can see in JJ's pic that block ain't curvy.

The building's unusual cos its only two storeys plus the roof, where most tenements are 3/4 high.

Also if that IS a public toilet, then it has to be on a main road, yes? Not off some side street.

Where tf is it? :D:lol::lol:

slickchicks.jpg

You may well be right about the location but 'remodelling' smacks of too much US tv.

OK OK, I think I may have it! Haud yerselves back!

IS IT, could it possibly be...........Dumbarton Road Partick looking south towards where Partick Interchange (Bus and Tube stations) are now?

So the ###### wallpaper shop would have been opposite Boots and Greggs on Dumbarton Rd/Peel St? And there's a public toilet in the middle of Dumbarton Rd............hmmmmmmm maybe not.

:?: :?: :?: GAH.

Guest westender

Naw naw naw rolo. Because that would mean that beyond those phone boxes would need to be more Dumbarton Road....and that's no Dumbarton Road.

I cannae get the vision of Benalder Street oot ma heid. But my alleged building is there quite clearly in the cinema pic, and this Big Dick's curvy corner building clearly isnae the same building as is in the cinema pic.

Gah.