Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
HollowHorn

Songs to Greet to.

Thanks, Pat. It's nice to be back. I've missed you lot too.

As for the song...I heard it for the first time last night whilst surfing youtube and it made me greet, so, I couldnae resist posting it in here... ;)

Good to see you back, KK. :blink:

Youtube's the devil in disguise, I think. Some nights I go looking for a specific thing then go off on tangents, thanks to the right side bar, next thing it's 3am, easy. :lol: Just me? I doubt it...

Anyways, what got to you with the Lena clip? Was it the song or the singer?

Just wondered, KK, cos when I looked at your clip it reminded me just how good a singer Lena Zavaroni was. You wonder what she might have achieved had she lived. Terribly sad waste of a young life. :(

Back on topic. No apology if I've posted this one before.

It's Willie Nelson;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-Xl17B-Z0A

No words. Doesn't need em. The man who wrote it said he tried to think of a Scottish lament that matched his mood and when none came to mind quickly he wrote this.

Ashokan Farewell

Makes me cry every time. CAUTION: Graphic pictures.

It reminds me of another thread. No we never learn. Wars will never be a thing of the past, I fear.

Crackin choice therr Nota, an' very much appreciaytit.

Ah take it yer hame again noo?

Ah heard it on ra radio the ithur day, jist efetr yoo menshunned yoo would be back here soon.

Its ra type of song ma faither would huv enjoyed when he wiz travellin aboot daein contract wurk ( he wiz a pipefittur)

The photographs in the video are brilliant. Elvis was gorgeous.

Wasn't he just *sighs*

Actually, this song usually produces tears from laughin' so hard ... but it's greetin' all the same. laugh.gif

Wasn't he just *sighs*

Actually, this song usually produces tears from laughin' so hard ... but it's greetin' all the same. laugh.gif

He has that knack.

/

but certainly inspired some:

I have to put this up...I greet hard when I listen to it becasue I know the story behind it. But I have to listen to it. That absolutely gorgous girl that sings this is someone I love dearly.

They need a good agent.

I hope she soars high. How's this for a first ever recording? My heart is swelling with pride.

Guest Mr Harper

A beautiful melancholic tune, challenging us to confront our indifference and prejudices.

Bien sûr nos miroirs sont intègres

Ni le courage d'être juifs

Ni l'élégance d'être nègres

On se croit mèche on n'est que suif

Et tous ces hommes qui sont nos frères

Tellement qu'on n'est plus étonnés

Que par amour ils nous lacèrent

Mais voir un ami pleurer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_JJRN_GFd4

and in Robb Johnson's excellent English translation with Miranda Sawyer's bowed bass taking it deeper still.

Robb Johnson - Voir Un Ami Pleurer

A beautiful melancholic tune, challenging us to confront our indifference and prejudices.

Bien sûr nos miroirs sont intègres

Ni le courage d'être juifs

Ni l'élégance d'être nègres

On se croit mèche on n'est que suif

Et tous ces hommes qui sont nos frères

Tellement qu'on n'est plus étonnés

Que par amour ils nous lacèrent

Mais voir un ami pleurer!

and in Robb Johnson's excellent English translation with Miranda Sawyer's bowed bass taking it deeper still.

Robb Johnson - Voir Un Ami Pleurer

Both lovely Mr H. I like the French vocals and the guitar in the second one sounds great.

I love both John Prine and Iris Demente and this song might make some people greet but I find it incredibly funny. (Am I on the wrong thread? :lol:)

Cannae copy and paste frae you tube....

Pavarotti....Paris....Levine (?) conducting......and not positive but dae believe this is the version thit was lip synched to for the Milano olympics....1 minute and 25 seconds in.....yeese ever see a man so soft and tender ? ahm quite sure thit he loved this piece of music.

tam

Pavarotti....Paris....Levine (?) conducting......and not positive but dae believe this is the version thit was lip synched to for the Milano olympics....1 minute and 25 seconds in.....yeese ever see a man so soft and tender ? ahm quite sure thit he loved this piece of music.

tam

Gimmie a clue and I'll paste it for you. What's the song title?

Guest Mr Harper

tam

This one Tam?

Inserting a Youchubb link is just four steps.

1. Open your 'post' thing here, type your words of urbane wit and smile quietly to yourself. Find the fillum you want to show and then . . .

2. Here's the technical bit copy the text in the address bar (right click on it then left click 'copy'in the box that appears)this will be the thing that looks like

(that's the actual address for the video above)

3. Now go to the tool bar above your 'post' box and at the far end of the row that starts with 'B' there's a symbol that looks like three TVs, when you're pointing at it, it will say 'insert media'. Just left click on it and a little box appears with 'http//' highlighted in blue

4. Right click on this while it's highlighted and then you'll have another box that has an option to 'paste', left click on 'paste' and the address you've copied will appear in the box ... then just below that is the option to 'insert media', left click on that and Bob's your weekend hairdo.

Highlight - copy - cut - paste are your friends in here, if you've got them off pat then the world's your oyster and the moon is a winkle on a stick.

Think tam will like this and then the world's my oyster and the moon is a winkle on a stick :lol: