Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
rolo tomassi

Sweetie Nostalgia

Second only to the mighty S*gar Mountain in North Berwick, the opening this week of a new sweetie shop in Byres, handily placed next to Gr*ggs.

Me and the wean were in the day. They have MB bars! They have Spanish Gold! They have jist about every sweetie you could name from times past.

Mind you, Fairy Satins was one I didnae recall. :lol: And not a Lucky Tattie to be seen either.... :cry:

Guest onyirtodd

Second only to the mighty S*gar Mountain in North Berwick, the opening this week of a new sweetie shop in Byres, handily placed next to Gr*ggs.

Me and the wean were in the day. They have MB bars! They have Spanish Gold! They have jist about every sweetie you could name from times past.

Mind you, Fairy Satins was one I didnae recall. :lol: And not a Lucky Tattie to be seen either.... :cry:

Right enough. Ms Tomassi did look as she could be with a wee bit fattening up :wink:

I think Lucky Tatties might have been banned. That's if they were the things covered in brown powder (cinnamon?) and with a wee plastic thing in the middle. Dangerous Weapons of Mouth Destruction, or something.

So the world is now completely safe without Lucky Tatties.

That sounds like a great wee shop, though, so I'm going to be very careful not to go there. :lol:

Lucky Tatties have so not been banned.

I know this because we had a thread about this before the Great Pruning.

And a 'mysterious visitor' delivered one to my office after I, in disbelief, had disputed their very existence.

I fed it to the wean. And as Onny will attest she was alive today so yes the world is completely safe, cheer, applause, etcetera, LOL!

:lol:

Guest onyirtodd

Lucky Tatties have so not been banned.

I know this because we had a thread about this before the Great Pruning.

And a 'mysterious visitor' delivered one to my office after I, in disbelief, had disputed their very existence.

I fed it to the wean. And as Onny will attest she was alive today so yes the world is completely safe, cheer, applause, etcetera, LOL!

:lol:

Available here http://www.retrosweets.co.uk/lucky_tatties.shtm

All's well, then. I had some notion that you couldn't have wee sharp plastic bits in sweets anymore, but there ye go. I'm a meringue.

That linked site - retrosweets - says it sells "Texan Bars". But, but, but, if I remember those being new (and not very good, IIRC), they can't go about calling them "retro". No, not fair. :lol:

Guest westender

I set foot in a drunken haze recently in I Heart Candy. (yese know what I mean).

I know that Lucky Potatular Thingmies (can't remember the exact nomenclature) was in that shoap......

I need to check this out. Aromatics, sherbet dips and lucky bags?

A couple of years back when we went to Barga we met an old Italian/Scotswoman who had returned home and she had her visitors bring her over sweetie supplies. So maybe some long distance orders will start coming in?

Hillfoot cafe just past the supermarket at Bearsden (on the left past Roman Road headung to Milngavie) sells retro sweeties

Hillfoot cafe just past the supermarket at Bearsden (on the left past Roman Road headung to Milngavie) sells retro sweeties

And great ice-cream.

A sweetie nostalgia thread on an internet message board and nobody has mentioned Fry's "Five Boys" yet?

For shame! :cry:

Oh, aye, and Penny Caramels, and Fruit Salads, and Blackjacks. Ah, all beloved of dentists throughout Glasgow and parts beyond. :lol:

A sweetie nostalgia thread on an internet message board and nobody has mentioned Fry's "Five Boys" yet?

For shame! :cry:

Oh, aye, and Penny Caramels, and Fruit Salads, and Blackjacks. Ah, all beloved of dentists throughout Glasgow and parts beyond. :lol:

Never heard of 1/2 of them ..... How bout Imperials beloved of good Church goers?

Five Boys. Aye, unhealthy to eat chocolate, but at least you get to learn big long words at the same time. :lol:

Frys20chocolate20boys5B25D.jpg

I would rebrand it as nasty-looking wee yobs. :lol:

That is a little scarey, alright. When I was about 9 I could mow the old lady neighbor's yard for 25 cents. I could then run to the tiny general store in our village and get a comic book=10c, coke=10c and a candy bar=5c. I didn't expect any more money or store bought goodies until the next time I worked for someone and I didn't worry about it.I reckon that is how I figured out that you get what you work for and not by asking for it or simply "deserving" it.

When he was wee one of my brothers ran errands for an old lady and in return she gave him sixpence and a tea biscuit.

In those days marketing was not such a big deal. I mean I can always remember Easter Eggs but not special sweets for Hallowe'en. I saw some wee sweets wrapped in ghost face the other day.

I think they are sold as "candy sticks" these days. Same packaging , the wee box but dont have the wee spot of red on the end.

I think they're well banned, Maggs, mind you Spanish Gold was supposed to be like chewy-baccy back then, came in pretendy baccy pouches...'cept in I Heart Candy it's in clear plastic pouches, natch!

The kids likely go next door to the newsagents for their fags these days... :wink:

Maggs, see here http:// www.aquarterof.co.uk/candysticks-p-385.html

lots of sweetie nostalgia here aswell as the candy sticks previously sweetie cigarettes :lol:

Used to be able to buy a ciggie & a match for 2d at shop near my high school