Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
rolo tomassi

Q4

Did anybody see the documentary last night on BBC?

Here was me expecting stuff about the ship itself, sure we got that--- but along with it a history of the entire yard and town that built it.

Commentary by Jimmy Reid and various folks who'd worked there (one guy whose name I missed but told tales of his time there as a young apprentice,he was brilliant) plus a bit from Tony Benn and some marine historian who was a tad 'over-enthusiastic' to the point of complete boredom.

Anyways the footage, courtesy Scottish Screen Archive, was evocative in the extreme. I had a right bubble throughout the programme, it was so close to home, or what used to be.

one guy whose name I missed but told tales of his time there as a young apprentice,he was brilliant

He reminded me of Bill Patterson.

Anyways the footage, courtesy Scottish Screen Archive, was evocative in the extreme. I had a right bubble throughout the programme, it was so close to home, or what used to be.

Aye, just about sums it up.

Rolo, I missed it due to a commitment at w*rk, which yard was it about, I done my apprenticeship training at Govan back in the late 70`s!!

Rolo, I missed it due to a commitment at w*rk, which yard was it about, I done my apprenticeship training at Govan back in the late 70`s!!

Which yard built the Q4?

Well it wisnae Fairfields! Did they teach you nothing there, AlexM?

:)

Rolo, I think you are talking about Tom McKendrick who trained in the yard but then went onto become an artist of some renown. Google can give you more info.

I don't know who I'm talking bout, but HH's observation was spot on. He reminded me of someone I couldn't quite place and it was in fact Bill Patterson, in retrospect.

I'm afraid I don't do Google on stuff like this, I kinda prefer the person-to-person knowledge-type-thang. But call me old-fashioned :)

Trying hereaboots to persuade the wean that a wee train trip to Greenock tomorrow is a good thing. It ain't working so far.............. :roll:

Guest westender

Trying hereaboots to persuade the wean that a wee train trip to Greenock tomorrow is a good thing. It ain't working so far.............. :roll:

Hey haw, c'mon.!

You de man, you de mammy, you de boss. Stop trying to persuade; wean cannot possibly know the significance, and so cannot make judgement.

You de man, you older, wiser; you tell wean whit's whit.

Make sure wean goes. Wean will thank ye fur it later. This is NOT a bad thing, or a drag you are asking wean to take an interest in.

Don't try to persuade. You de mammy, and you do know better. Wean will love it.

I don't know who I'm talking bout, but HH's observation was spot on. He reminded me of someone I couldn't quite place and it was in fact Bill Patterson, in retrospect.

I'm afraid I don't do Google on stuff like this, I kinda prefer the person-to-person knowledge-type-thang. But call me old-fashioned :D

A trip tae Greenock is always a good thing, go tae Gourock and get the callymac boat I mentioned previously, bargain and a half, and it's got a bar onboard tae.

:)