Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

What do you miss the most?

Guest thomas

The penny ha'penny sweetie tray, used to spend my peny hapeny bus fare from school, if I managed to skip it.

I jumped and climbed dykes and broke my arm, I remember my unlce taking me to Oakbank hospital whou wouldn't treat me for some reason and having to go to another hospital for my stookie.

Playing beds on the pavement, statues, tig, and a shop with empty cans filled with dirt and broken glass for money

She then said:"Oh Liz, I am not doubting you, I can tell you are very angry but it's impossible, xxxxxx died on Tuesday night, how could you have seen her on Friday?"

Maybe the old bat was making sure you got up the close allright Lizo, she had a heart of gold really

The penny ha'penny sweetie tray, used to spend my peny hapeny bus fare from school, if I managed to skip it.

On a Saturday morning we used to go to the ABC minors at the Grosvenor. It cost 3d to get in which left 3d for sweets ... and that bought quite a lot of them!

I used to walk to school and spend the subway fare on sweets which were bought at RS McColl when it was next to the chip shop on the block between Ruthven St. & Roxburgh St.

We recently moved to a Cul-de- sac and found to our delight hordes of kids out playing beds, Pever?? (strange word), cricket with stumps drawn on a wheely bin, bikes & skate boards racing round, kids climbing trees & skipping. Not unusual to have to get out car to move skateboard/bike lying in middle of road. The whole presided over by a little terrier cross. a real bitzer* who is always there & who bails up strangers.

*Bitzer = mongrel, bits of this & that

As heard on Andy Cameron's Radio Scotland show sometime in the 80's.

Andy to young caller from Milngavie "do you have any hobbies, Angela?"

resoponse "Oh yes, I love pony trekking."

Andy to the next young caller from Haghill. "Tracy, do you enjoy any pastimes?"

her response "Aye, dreeping aff dykes."

Sharp as pen knife.

There is a tale that Andy tells about a kid who called in with a joke.

He gets the child to tell him the joke before putting him on air to check the joke is (a) radio friendly (:lol: not funnier than his own material.

So having passed these 2 tests the child is allowed on air and tells his joke. Of course by this time the wee boy has decided that the joke he was going to tell didn't quite meet his exacting standards and tells a different joke. Which wasn't radio friendly and was funnier than Andy's own material, it took him around 2-3 records to regain his composure.

Unfortunately I can't remember what the joke was.

Their paranoid parents won't let them out. We got kicked out and told not to come back in before tea time.

They're pretty much all indoors now Thomas. Either at after-school clubs or at childminders till we working parents get home from w*rk. They'll be either doing their homework or chatting on MSN.

Totally shit, innit, really?

Fine talk from TOG there about paranoid parents, btw. Empty rhetoric, IMHO, from someone who's admitted hereabouts to choosing private education over state school.

Those who live in glass houses...etcetera.....

:roll:

There is a tale that Andy tells about a kid who called in with a joke.

He gets the child to tell him the joke before putting him on air to check the joke is (a) radio friendly (:lol: not funnier than his own material.

So having passed these 2 tests the child is allowed on air and tells his joke. Of course by this time the wee boy has decided that the joke he was going to tell didn't quite meet his exacting standards and tells a different joke. Which wasn't radio friendly and was funnier than Andy's own material, it took him around 2-3 records to regain his composure.

Unfortunately I can't remember what the joke was.

The joke wiz as follows:

Wee boay: "Name a vegetable that brings tears tae yer eyes".

Andy: "An onion"

Wee boay, "Naw, it's a turnip".

Andy: "A turnip disnae bring tears tae yer eyes"

Wee boay: "It diz if ye get whacked in the baws wi' it".

My kids say the snooker ball one was wi Noel Edmunds on a Satrday evening.

Wee boy was asked if he knew any jokes (on video)

says aye.

well tell us

How de ye make snooker balls laff?

Dont know

Put your hands in the pockets and tickle them

embarassed laughter

wee boy - my dad told me that (smugly)

mother - no he didnt!!!!

father - convulsed on the couch

• 4 years later...

Hi,

does anyone remember the childrenswear designer Billie Maxwell.She worked in the 60s and 70s as a designer for the company called Lindsay Maid who were based in Glasgow.They made little velvet dresses with hand smocking on the front.They were exquisite and expensive.Anyway Billie and her sister,and indeed her mother were well known in Glasgow and could often be seen sashaying down Buchanan street and were real head turners.Very much Glasgows answer to the Gabor sisters.Last time I saw Billie she was working in Golightys,an antique shop in Gibson Street,but after that she went off the radar.Anyone seen or heard of them?

Willie.x.